Sign in to follow this  
FraG_AU

SLi Support (Or lack thereof!)

Hello guys i am quite new in this forum but i want to ask that i will buy a pc and i was thinking to put 2 GTX295 and core i7 920 2.66 ghz and 10 gb ram and i will use Vista Ultimate 32 bit or 64 bit so sli will work for me because one of the main reason that i buy this computer is this game

sorry if i asked smthng wrong

thanks for answers from now

Hello guys i am quite new in this forum but i want to ask that i will buy a pc and i was thinking to put 2 GTX295 and core i7 920 2.66 ghz and 10 gb ram and i will use Vista Ultimate 32 bit or 64 bit so sli will work for me because one of the main reason that i buy this computer is this game

There was someone with a setup just like that (though I think only 8GB of RAM but who really cares the game doesn't come anywhere near to using it up), he was running everything maxed though he did OC to 4GHz. Then again a lot of other people reported SLI/crossfire problems. But a lot of people also got it to work. If you're having problems read all the related threads and try all the suggestions.

Honestly, at the moment I wouldn't buy quad SLi, in order to get the most out of that you will need to push your CPU to 4.2Gh+ as it will bottleneck the GPU (in most games). End of the day unless your playing on a 30+ " LCD in excess of 2500xxxxx resolution its a waste.

Now secondly don't get 32bit vista and 10gb ram. You need a 64Bit os to see more then 3gb ram... Other thing is win 7 is around the corner, so perhaps use a RC version and then get that as so far it looks like it will be a lot better then vista was in performance and function.

Now going back to the GPU, in all my games bar ArmaII my GTX295 pushes out 100+ FPS, so i just lock the refreshrate to 60fps and enjoy a perfect gaming experience as what you notice most is not the fps but the variation in fps.

EDIT: To give you an idea I overclock the shit out of everything, and besides for arma II (GPU still running in single mode) I have not had a need to which is the first time ever in my time owning GFX cards (we are going back pre 3dfx days there too :P)

What will you OC your CPU to?

Ensure you get the "Single PCB" GTX295 since it runs a little cooler and should be cheaper.

Also what games do you play? and what res?

Edited by FraG_AU

Honestly, at the moment I wouldn't buy quad SLi, in order to get the most out of that you will need to push your CPU to 4.2Gh+ as it will bottleneck the GPU (in most games). End of the day unless your playing on a 30+ " LCD in excess of 2500xxxxx resolution its a waste.

Now secondly don't get 32bit vista and 10gb ram. You need a 64Bit os to see more then 3gb ram... Other thing is win 7 is around the corner, so perhaps use a RC version and then get that as so far it looks like it will be a lot better then vista was in performance and function.

Now going back to the GPU, in all my games bar ArmaII my GTX295 pushes out 100+ FPS, so i just lock the refreshrate to 60fps and enjoy a perfect gaming experience as what you notice most is not the fps but the variation in fps.

EDIT: To give you an idea I overclock the shit out of everything, and besides for arma II (GPU still running in single mode) I have not had a need to which is the first time ever in my time owning GFX cards (we are going back pre 3dfx days there too :P)

What will you OC your CPU to?

Ensure you get the "Single PCB" GTX295 since it runs a little cooler and should be cheaper.

Also what games do you play? and what res?

well thanks for replies but about OC i dont know how to make it and i dont know if someone can make it over here but i'll ask and about monitor i wanna buy samsung 22" or 21.5"(with hd tv one) cuz i dont have a lot place for big one.Now i have a laptop and i really started to hate it cuz of heating problems and so on but in my laptop i also can play in very high res. but view distance and filter is so low so there is no point to play like this and about the games i wanna play also other games relaxly too like crysis,farcry 2,terminator salvation and others. But for Windows 7 RC is it really good cuz as u all know when there is a new Windows there are always problems.

Edited by Ottolexius

I cant get SLI to work eventhough I copied ArmA.exe and renamed it Crysis.exe

my system is as follows:

XPS 720

Intel core 2 duo E6850 @ 3GHz

XP32 SP3 - Clean install after full format

2x 8800GTX 768mb running on 185.

4x 1GB 800M Corsair Dominator (WinXP only shows 2.75gb of Ram)

Nforce 630i motherboard.

In my Nvidia control panel I select Crysis.exe as the program to customise, but inorder to use regular SLI it is supposed to say "NVIDIA recommended (SLI)" in the SLI performance mode field. Mine only has NVIDIA recommended, Single GPU, Force Split Frame Rendering, Force alternate frame rendering 1 & 2. And these settings all give me the same FPS or worse as Single GPU.

I have both Fraps running and SLI indicators turned on so I would know if SLI is enabled and nothing but piss poor performance comes out. I am getting really mad that I cant even get 20+ FPS out of this game without turning the view distance to 1000 and all other settings to Low with 100% fill rate @ 1920x1080. Vista Ultimate 64 gave me almost the same results also.

Edited by =Rear Admiral= Cockburn
more system info

Ah welcome to the nightmare.

From some that have SLi working, ENSURE you have -winxp as a flag for running this game. Then with the Crysis.exe if it still does not go to SLi try forcing AFR2.

PS> None of the above did anything for me.. actually I get better fps running this game in single gpu mode. I am still not 100% sure whether this is due to drivers or the engine but we will see soon :)

EDIT: I thought you had Vista for some reason, so below is an exception to the rule i suppose. Try downloading win 7

Most people that have this game working report so from Windows XP, and some from Win7. Personally I tried win 7 7201 build and it seemed to get sli going but had a MAJOR stutter no matter what i did. I just got build 7232 so I will give that a bash in the coming nights.. I also got win xp 64 but to try, but i will prob buy a 32gb thumb drive and use that to install that os on so it does not stuff up my other partitions (just in case)

Anyway see how you go with the -winxp, the other thing to try is -maxmem=2047 (if you have enough memory), apparently gets some improvement. And as for detail ensure you have PP to low, Shadow/terrain/objects on normal as they chew through the fps and on normal still look good :)

Gents check out this post,

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1312863&postcount=24

This may work for us in x64 land.

I saw an increase in FPS on my rig, however I have tried 8 drivers and done some various other bits and pieces to try and get this going so doing a clean install on another drive to see if it is the temp solution we all been waiting for.

Fingers crossed:bounce3:

---------- Post added at 06:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 AM ----------

OK, with a clean install of vista x64, 186.08 i got it working using crysis64.exe trick and -winxp in the command line!

Now I am getting 58-60 fps on same settings as before wheras i was getting 30-35 before :)

Woot