Sign in to follow this  
garack666

Problem with view distance - Vehicles dissapear

Most server have 1600/2000 metres view distance.

In arma 1 i cant see furhter cause of fog..no one cant.

in arma 2 i can see further but i cant see objekcts like hangars or vehicles..

BUT i can see smoke from driving/shooting tanks, fire(campfires) or explosions...so i had to shoot with my tank at the smoke when the other tank fires..

wotking as indented?? NO...

hello all

I found that this happenss to me when one enters a "Foggy" weather area. I can see the terrain for some distance but buildings/trees/nme's dont show up until im fairly close.

Is this what you are experiencing?

btw im a Nvidia user.

rgds

LoK

I have this too, was playing on near an airfield the other day using a MP mission that had the view distance locked at 1800 and I was on a hill next to my clan mate. He told me over comms that there was infantry at the base of the control tower which he could see clearly. I couldn't see the tower or any infantry, even though our view distance was the same, I could see the ground where the tower should have been standing but no building rendered. I walked forward about 50-100m and it just appeared. How could that happen if we both were supposed to have the same view distance?

Nvidia user with the latest drivers, running the game on high with no performance issues.

I don't think that´s a bug. Me and a mate tested that and we discovered that all objects (tanks, player, KI) disappear at around 820 meter.

Never mind which graphic setting we try to change, nothing happened, so i think its volitional. It would be a very big advantage if ppl with better pc´s could see more far then other ones.

Coro

Alan.rio;1307096']I have this too' date=' was playing on near an airfield the other day using a MP mission that had the view distance locked at 1800 and I was on a hill next to my clan mate. He told me over comms that there was infantry at the base of the control tower which he could see clearly. I couldn't see the tower or any infantry, even though our view distance was the same, I could see the ground where the tower should have been standing but no building rendered. I walked forward about 50-100m and it just appeared. How could that happen if we both were supposed to have the same view distance?[/quote']

Different "object detail" settings maybe?

Might also be because fog density isn't synced in MP.

For seeing objects further its what Maddmatt said "OBJECT DETAIL" in the graphics options. Should be at least, but the mission might be set to medium and then you cant do anything about it.

Nope, and this is very annoying. Object render distance doesnt equal terrain draw distance. It hurts flying badly. Object detail doesnt increase the object render distance, just the density of objects drawn withing o. r. d. :(

obejct render distance < terrain draw distance :(

Shouldnt be too hard to fix though.:)

Edit: made an experiment, ORD is ~1800m if you have 4500 m VD

Edited by ziiip

The draw distance for objects like trees and houses seems to be 40% of current view distance (at least when the view distance is less than 5000). Increasing quality settings really doesn't help much. In Arma it is more like 60% and not so disturbing. Also terrain is different in Arma2 - repetive valleys and hills and its annoying to see some relatively close hill without any trees. Maybe its because of different LOD switch values in Arma2? Some big buildings are visible from far - but they are not so many.

-KJT-

Seems that Arma2 just has a shorter draw distance with similar settings. Here is a little comparison:

Arma Sahrani view distance 3800m with normal/high settings

arma1_sahrani.jpg?t=1245185770

Arma2 Sahrani view distance 3800m with normal/high settings

arma2_sahrani.jpg?t=1245185734

Edited by KJT
comparison

I'm sure this is just a case of optimizing the end viewdistance (fog effect). It took a while and a few patches to sort the same kind of issues with ArmA 1. I'm sure it will be improved...