Sign in to follow this  
bloodbomb

Can I play as an guerilla/insurgent/"terrorist"?

As the title says, Can I play as an guerilla/insurgent/"terrorist"?

Can I have regular army bots patrolling and set up ambushes? Deploy IEDs or VBIEDs? Sneak into cities and perform terror attacks etc

Any info would be appreciated

in campaign? I would think not. But you could use the editor and create your own mission where you are the russian, cdf or the guerilla. even civillian. or animal.

Sneak into cities and perform terror attacks etc

the hell? :confused: :j:

it has an editor, you can do whatever you want, but you have to design it yourself.

:butbut: - Im usually part of the 'but its only a game' crowd when similar suggestions are made, seriously though, I'd get no pleasure from even pretending to be a terrorist.

No doubt the editor will allow it...

The way you use the "" signs around terrorist leads me to belive that you are below the age required to play the game....or you might be suffering from masturbational issues related to violence and might be in need of professional help.

-Bob

The way you use the "" signs around terrorist leads me to belive that you are below the age required to play the game....or you might be suffering from masturbational issues related to violence and might be in need of professional help.

-Bob

LOL. I can smell the mods coming... :rolleyes:

You can do anything you possibly want in the editor, the possibilities are literally limitless.

Point of A1/A2 is that its a sandbox. Any serious milsim team creates its own multiplayer campaigns and I bet they also feature the roles of the insurgent side. You can also get a different briefing as OPFOR, maybe you're even avenging your family against the army that bombed your village, you have to steal AT equipment from an army base to attack THIRD side aka Evil Warlord that now controls your county with APCs etc. Again: this game is a sandbox and all of the power is in the hands of us.

Are IEDs and in particular VBIEDs modelled?

I hope so as I was planning on building a mission with an attack on a checkpoint that was to be initiated by a VBIED.

hey you can even do a mission where you are a spy and sneak around and gather information or try to avoid capture by a bunch of other players that may fly and drive around looking for you, and you as a spy use civilian buses, cars and walk, run and hide from the others :)

Its a sandbox game dudes.

-Bob

Somene's freedom fighter is terrorist to someone other. It goes other way around too. French Resistance, Soviet union's partisans, Vietcong etc... For that i personally like to use mix terrorist/freedom fighter (or resistance) every so often.

Somene's freedom fighter is terrorist to someone other. It goes other way around too. French Resistance, Soviet union's partisans, Vietcong etc... For that i personally like to use mix terrorist/freedom fighter (or resistance) every so often.

personally, i don't agree with this. a terrorist targets civilians as well, or even exclusively, while a 'freedom fighter' targets occupying enemy forces.

Somene's freedom fighter is terrorist to someone other

Thats right. We all enjoyed playing as the "terrorists" in OFP:Resistance :)

personally, i don't agree with this. a terrorist targets civilians as well, or even exclusively, while a 'freedom fighter' targets occupying enemy forces.

And still one's freedom fighter is another one's terrorist. It simple really: If you fight against freedom fighters that makes them terrorists. Always has been, always will be.

It's really hard to try to keep civilians out of the harms way when occupying force blends into them and means and ways are limited. Guerrilla wars, escpacely if it is also part of civil war, have always been very ugly, long-long way from war of gentlemen. Terrorists or freedom fighters? Depends from whom you ask.

NEWSFLASH ............................... ARMA 2 ...............................Taliban training tool !

And still one's freedom fighter is another one's terrorist. It simple really: If you fight against freedom fighters that makes them terrorists. Always has been, always will be.

It's really hard to try to keep civilians out of the harms way when occupying force blends into them and means and ways are limited. Guerrilla wars, escpacely if it is also part of civil war, have always been very ugly, long-long way from war of gentlemen. Terrorists or freedom fighters? Depends from whom you ask.

Maybe to cable news networks or political entities trying to justify military action, "terrorist" and "freedom fighter" are that interchangable, but not in reality. People that blow up bus stations and dance clubs are never "freedom fighters," because their actions never serve to liberate their people.

But, I agree with part of your sentiment. Just because a resistence is of the "grassroots" variety doesn't mean they are terrorists. King George probably would have accused the American colonists of being terrorists, if the word was part of their socio-political vernacular at the time, but I'd bet that most present-day Americans wouldn't agree with that sentiment. Similarly, countries like Honduras had their democratically elected governments toppled by the CIA under Eisenhower, in no small part because of the lobbying of the United Fruit Company. Of course, the public justification was the "Communist threat." The principle of muddling characterizations of opponents for political capital or to assuage public skepticism is nothing new.

Having said all of that... to the OP... :confused: Liiiitle bit strange.

I would not use the word terrorist on someone not intentionally targeting civilians.

Casing point, remote detonated IEDs in Iraq/A-stan targeting western forces. I consider these enemy combatants, but not terrorists.

that's the moral relativist garbage society has barfed down your throat, and only a group-thinking moron would buy into that. there is such a thing as objective fact and definition regardless of differences in cultural or moral standards.

a terrorist is defined by general consensus and various academic sources as someone who causes terror by targeting civilians, ie those who lack the means to defend themselves. women and children, etc.

an insurgent or freedom fighter can be someone trying to defeat an organized military force, ie soldiers. collateral damage may occur in which civilians are harmed or killed unintentionally, and that doesn't make the insurgent or freedom fighter a terrorist.

what does make someone a terrorist is when they involve themselves by either funding, supplying, or participating in terrorist activities...these are planned and intentional kidnappings, beheadings, assaults on civilian targets, executions of civilian targets, suicide bombings in crowded urban centers.

one should understand that militaries are actually in contract with one another, therefore international rules such as those detailed in the geneva convention applies to them. they do not apply to terrorists, yet the western forces are willing to, and have largely succeeded in not descending to their level of inhumanity.

This is why Project Reality is awesome. Because you can be an insurgent.

But' date=' I agree with part of your sentiment. Just because a resistence is of the "grassroots" variety doesn't mean they are terrorists. King George probably would have accused the American colonists of being terrorists, if the word was part of their socio-political vernacular at the time, but I'd bet that most present-day Americans wouldn't agree with that sentiment. Similarly, countries like Honduras had their democratically elected governments toppled by the CIA under Eisenhower, in no small part because of the lobbying of the United Fruit Company. Of course, the public justification was the "Communist threat." The principle of muddling characterizations of opponents for political capital or to assuage public skepticism is nothing new.[/quote']

Yea. This is what i'm getting at.

Sure blowing up school bus full of children would be very vile act... Then again what if there was headman of opposing faction in that bus among school kids? Not so black-and-white anymore. Act of terror or assasination? Depends how you look at it and from which side, and by which organization's laws.

You know, I actually thought these forums would be mature enough to take a question like this, without getting all flamey on it...guess I was wrong.

I put " around "Terrorist" to illustrate that some people use this term unjustly, which was immediately verified by a whole score of trolls starting to immediately argue over the term...hahah then again its the internet should I have expected anything less?

To clarify:

"Terrorism is more commonly understood as an act which is intended to create fear (terror), is perpetrated for an ideological goal (as opposed to a materialistic goal or a lone attack), and deliberately targets (or disregards the safety of) non-combatants. Some definitions also include acts of unlawful violence or unconventional warfare, but at present, there is no internationally agreed upon definition of terrorism."

So yeah, one mans Terrorist is another mans Freedom Fighter, as has been wisely pointed out.

Operation Shock & Awe? Terrorism. Hiroshima? Terrorism. So everyone just calm down and get back on topic.

I know this game is sandbox but are there gunna be MP maps or pre made missions for MP? Are there VBIEDs in game, or will I have to mod them? I saw footage of insurgents ambushing an American convoy in ArmA 1 and thought it would be awesome to play that, so was wondering, so either discuss this or start a thread called "theoretical musings and moral highgrounding on the subject of Terrorism".

And no the FBI wont be doing shit as I don't live in America (thankfully).

If you use the Editor you can play as a Bunny Rabbit, Cow, chicken, roster, Pig, and a couple dogs too.

:butbut: - Im usually part of the 'but its only a game' crowd when similar suggestions are made, seriously though, I'd get no pleasure from even pretending to be a terrorist.

No doubt the editor will allow it...

the editor is the ultimate freedom.. infact i've never even SEEN an editor like that ever in any game period.. the ability to make anything your imagination desires... even if it is distasteful to some people... is the best part of arma and should never be changed.

everyone bitching about people wanting to do " terrorist" missions are retards , probably the same bastards who would trade safety for freedom in a heartbeat..i can make a mission where I make everyone on the map of one race, or from one country, and go kill them all, you don't have to play that if you don't want to. I cannot abide by people wanting to limit the editor or complain if someone wants to put their ideas into action.

Edited by Ferox

I think you can satisfy your needs by playing my hostage situation missions online or lan with friends. Plenty of terrorist activity to play as in that TvT.