Sign in to follow this  
^Th0mas^

Is this game still being patched?

1.14 has been out for quite a while now, right? Havent played this game much, but are BIS still patching it? If so, how long will they keep doing that? I see OfP has reach very high!

Beta patch 1.16 released..waiting to be finalized. After all the ArmA2 hassle of course...

I agree, Arma 2 should be prioritized. I don't really see Arma 1 having very much of a replay value now that Arma 2 soon is here either, with the possible exception of unported user made missions and addons.

I ask because I want to know how far after release BIS support their games. I see OfP is 1.96 and ArmA is 1.14, how is that? Because I really like ArmA II despite the bugs, so I want BIS to support this game for a long time and make it great.

From what I have seen BI offer great support for their games

For an idea of how long they support a game, ArmA was released in late 2006 and the latest v1.16 beta patch was released on the 24th April 2009 and as crawler said we are waiting for it to be finalised. This gives ArmA a current support cycle of a little over two and a half years.

To my knowledge the only reason Operation Flashpoint has a higher version number than ArmA is that BI increased Operation Flashpoint's version number by a factor of 10 for the majority of it's patches, where as ArmA's version number has only been increased by 1 each time.

Great support?! Sure they are still working on Arma1 patches but it is 1 year to 6 months in between each patch!

Any words if they will implent micro AI into Arma?

Yeah they will also port Chernarus into Arma. Really. :rolleyes:

They did something to the AI in 1.16 though. I suspect some tricks or a piece of code was carried over from Arma 2. Or perhaps its just me.

SlipperyJim, I consider us unlucky that the game has been patched so much since its release. I have had to download and install, I think, several gigabytes of patches to get errors in the product fixed and I don't think this is a situation in which a customer should be in.

I am thankful to Bohemia Interactive Studio for the patches. But in my opinion the game was released in an unacceptable condition and the amount of patching it has had to receive to become of acceptable quality does not do good to Bohemia Interactive Studio's image.

I'm thinking maybe they need to work with a partner who forces them to more strict quality standards before allowing the release of a game.

I am yet to try ArmA II (not released here yet and am not going to buy a download version, and I have to buy a new computer to run it) and I really hope the same sort of mess is not repeated with that game. So far reading the forum I have a more positive image of it compared to Arma's start.

Not even going to the discussion, how finalized and polished product Arma was when delivered out, but just a small reminder here, that almost in each patch there is also new content. So patches from BIS are not only fixes, but really upgrades and that is something to be grateful.

Edited by Lagus_FinP
typo

Yes there was some new content.

However, did I really want that content, or was I expecting to get it? No.

Perhaps it is a nice compensation from BIS to make up for the bad quality of the product on its initial release state. However I am quite sure most people who bought Armed Assault would have liked it to work better from the get go and the extra addons and missions don't really make up for that. You don't fix a "memory handling" error or "textures and model level-of-details popping like crazy even on very fast computers" error by releasing an addon.

I am now using the beta patch 1.16 and it seems to work well. It is this level of quality that should have been there on day 1 of Armed Assault's release.