Sign in to follow this  
Athranas

What exactly is this game?

this game looks really cool but i have never really played a military sim is this game like battlefield 2 mixed with idk. but what exactly is this game id like to know before i pay 50 cause it does look like bf2 sorta. but wut exactly is this? i be very appreaciative.

Edited by Placebo

This game is Tactical Military Simulation.

You can play it as FPS.

You can play it as 3rd Person Shooter.

You can play it as Real-time Strategy.

These are all the interfaces.

Game features realistic environment, physics (movement / bullet trajectory), environment (weather, seasons, day & night sky that true to time, animals, civilian life), equipment & vehicle models.

It has its own AI which can perform all the task a human player can, from patrolling to using all the vehicles without the need of human guidance.

It also has a 200 km2 of real-life map available to you at all times.

Having all these available to you, game is extensively moddable & scriptable by the infamous BIS community. Many new missions, equipments, sound & extra-realism modifications and new maps will be released free of charge in the coming months and years.

There is a single player campaign with some RPG elements but the game itself shines when you jump into the multiplayer or the mission editor where you can design your own missions.

So...you are not buying a game...you are buying a game and a platform which is capable to keeping you in front of the screen for years unlike todays 2 week FPS titles.

Not to mention infamous BIS (developer) support in fixing and optimizing the game for years to come.

So it will be the best 50 you spend on a game...a game you'll play for years.

PS..shit..BIS should hire me as his marketing guy :D

Edited by Cross

its anything but bf2, basically.

think sandbox, or game framework, and you're closer. The editor in game is used to create missions. The mission contains everything, allowing many many types of game play and allows just about everything to be altered.

Its something you love or hate, and you need to come to terms with the fact that due to the community making the addons for the game which increase its playability ten fold, it can take a few months after release before the really cool things start rolling out.

That said, there's no hand tieing like bf2, and your free to create anything you want. In arma1, this meant new skins, units, aircraft, islands, even new clouds and bullet cases were released, and scripts to do things like fast roping out of choppers, amungst other things.

what its not, is a high action FPS. Its not a point-whoring game, and its not easy. If you dont use teamwork, you wont enjoy it, and you will die. If you like leveling up your charector, or fraggin' bad guys, maybe its not ideal for you (although arma1 has missions which did include leveling up your charector).

This game is the true sequel to OFP. OFP was released in 2001, and I've been playing it since then. I know that ARMA2 will keep me occupied for another eight years.

Buy it.

Abs

Geez, what a hard question to answer. I think this is going to take quite a few responses from different people with different view points to correctly convey what ArmA 2 is.

It is a combined arms simulator with a focus on infantry.

PS..shit..BS should hire me as his marketing guy :D

If he buys it they should pay you commission :p

Athranas, I think crawler's post pretty much explains it. This game is not like Battlefield. I suppose you never player Operation Flashpoint?

Look up some gameplay footage on youtube.com.

but wut exactly is this? i be very appreaciative.

My Friend, this clearly isnt a game for you.

idk i thought it looked cool but didnt really understand what it is, that post by crawler is def helpful but now i gotta decide if i really wanna buy this.

all joking aside, you might find that Operation flashpoint: dragon rising is a strong contender for you, which comes out later in the year. Its a bit more actiony and FPS like.

Why not just wait for the demo and see for yourself? Assuming you have a kick ass computer and get used to the game's style, you'll discover the most brilliant piece of gaming software yet conceived, in my opinion. It's worth every penny, hands down!

I got hooked into this game during the peak of original OFP:CWC, or rather the GOTY edition. I like the open battlefield and being a grunt feeling. Not a SpecOp like RedStorm Rainbow Six (not ubisoft R6) or Ghost Recon. Most of the engagements are long range 300m-400m. When you get killed, most of the time you wont see it coming (I love the death cam, showing who did actually shot you). Most of the time also, you wouldnt know if you actually killed someone. You just sprayed in general direction of the enemy and hope he's dead. Then you continue on with the mission. That's the objective of the game, complete your mission. Not racking up kills.

Basically that's how I see the game, until you found the editor, which is another monster altogether that will hooked you up to the game like there is no end.

idk i thought it looked cool but didnt really understand what it is, that post by crawler is def helpful but now i gotta decide if i really wanna buy this.

Just a quick clarification for you...game can be played as simple as BF2 or if you want you can play it as complicated as mil simulation. It just gives you the options.

Do not get the wrong idea of it being overly-complicated. It is not.

In its multiplayer there are some servers which play the game casually and there are some servers/clans that play it really tactical. You'll also have many Coop missions or PvP maps/matches

Game itself is suitable for all the needs with nice graphics..

ps...correction...may be I'm too old for marketing this to younger generation :D

well in the question wut i was looking for i was looking for something to tide me over till bf3 a fun shooter with great online and fun vehicles to drive and such, but once again crawler u have been the most helpful i think i may get this if it really can be played as simple as bf2

well in the question wut i was looking for i was looking for something to tide me over till bf3 a fun shooter with great online and fun vehicles to drive and such, but once again crawler u have been the most helpful i think i may get this if it really can be played as simple as bf2

Keep in your mind that this is a realistic war shooter and BF2 is not realistic, in this game u can get killed in 1 shot and this is the closest u can get to a real war.:)

If you play in Recruit (= easy mode) with your friends it can be played like BF2 and you can have fun with more toys that you can point a stick at.

Be warned though that most of the players in this community play it "hard core" and would consider this blasphemy... Though : YOU CAN play Arma 2 like you want.

I would advise you to wait for a demo (soon) to see if the whole concept suits you.

And the whole "realistic" thing is just part of the equation. Eventually Arma 2 is more about freedom than realism, and you can make it as realistic or absurd and funny as you want with a little bit of work: killer rabbits, bazooka on cows, tractor races, ufos, zombies...

It's a huge toy box with a lot of boomsticks.

I must say the early german version was pretty bugged though, but you can rest assured that BIS (the developpers) always work their asses off to fix their games.

i understand where you're coming from, but i doubt you'll enjoy ArmA 2 for long if you're a die hard BF2 fan. it's way more realistic, it's a lot harder, and it takes a lot of patience. just to get the controls down may take a while.

i suggest waiting for the demo before spending your cash on something you might no enjoy. alternatively, check out the demo for ArmA 1.

Plus, the majority of those who come from playing the Battlefield series and realize just how hard it actually is, just start ruining the experience for others (teamkilling, cheating, spamming, etc.) and then never touching the game again. As many have stated, Arma 2 is not at all like any of the Battlefield games, so I wouldn't buy it if that's what you expect.

so whens this demo coming out?

The last semi-official word was "before the 505 release". It that's true, it would be some time next week.

To me the difference between ARMA1/2 and BF2 is like the difference between an F16 and a kite.

To me the difference between ARMA1/2 and BF2 is like the difference between an F16 and a kite.

Mind you, Arma2 is an F-16 with a hole in the wing and the cockpit on fire. It's still a complex beast but needs a few "repairs".

Mind you, Arma2 is an F-16 with a hole in the wing and the cockpit on fire. It's still a complex beast but needs a few "repairs".

ArmA II PC (All Rebl Men Attack Immigrant Insurgents, Pants Coordination.) is like donuts just before they go in the deep fryer, all soft and easy to mold with professional hands.