Sign in to follow this  
Cionara

30 Fps Framelock Multiplayer ?

Arma 2 runs fine on my PC, when I set everything to very high, only landscape to low and objectdetail to ver low I got 60 fps everywhere except for bigger cities, there it's around 50fps and it looks awesome cause landscape detail and objectdetail don't really change the optic that much.

But I have a friend with a very good compupter and he has always 30fps in the game (first I said multiplayer but he has it in the whole game). Its a framelock, it's like vsync with 30 fps instead of 60.

When he sets everything to very high and maxed out he got around 20fps but everything on low gives him 30 again. Precise 30 fps all the time.

Hope someone got a solution for it.

His OS is Windows7 (32bit) and also tested on Windows XP (32bit).

Plz help =)

Edited by Cionara

Ok but that ain't cool cause he has a computer and not a 360 ^^

He got an ATI graphics card. And as far as I know the Xbox360, too.

Maybe there's something wrong in the code there =/

I mean, Xbox360 ATI, 30fps framelock. And my friend PC ATI 30 Fps framelock.

Edited by Cionara

i run ati tray tools tonight to do some flip que size checks, and noticed the game no matter what you do right now locks down with vsync, 60 frames max. Well that is what the OSD fps was showing it was like having vsync on and I had it forced always off.

Someone else with the same problem of maximum 30fps ?

I have also a max of 30fps in multiplayer. Single = 60fps.

Got a 4870 1024mb

[Rant]

I am sorry, but since this the troubleshooting forum I fail to see the real trouble here.

30 fps should be plenty to give a fluid visual experience, most TV stuff has 24 or 25 fps. More than 60 fps (and any number smaller than 60 of which 60 is no multiple to try to be more precise) will actually degrade visual quality if your display runs at 60 Hz, which will most likely be the case if you have a TFT.

Framerate drops below ~24 fps, now that is a problem.

Again sorry for this, but I just recently heard a guy complain about how shitty Arma2 runs compared to Arma1, he went on and on and when asked what' so shitty about it, he said "I had 100 fps with Arma1, and only 30 fps with Arma2" :icon_rolleyes:

When you want to drive a car fast and have fun with it, keep your eyes on the street and not on the speedometer...

[/Rant]

A little constructive stuff at last:

Check driver and application settings about Vsync (not sure if Arma2 has any), maybe there are application specific settings in the driver options, if Vsync off "confirm" that it is an Arma2 and not driver issue by testing the max framerate with another game

I just wish people would post their complete pc specs,makes life so much easyer for people to fault find the problem,heres a template that could be used :)

System Settings -

Operating system - (xp,vista,w7,32 bit/64 bit)

Service Pack - (1,2,3,RC)

Cpu - (Pentium,Amd,singlecore,dualcore,quadcore,i7,speed of processor)

Memory - (1gb or less,2gb,4gb,6gb or more)

P.C Case Size and Product Code/Make - (midi,tower,Antec/coolermaster....)

Graphics Card - (nvidia,ati,sli/crossfire)

Graphics Driver - (nvidia version number/ati catalyst version number)

Screen Resolution - (1680 x 1050....)

Soundcard - (Make and model)

Have you installed the latest sound drivers - (yes/no)

Have you installed the latest motherboard drivers - (yes/no)

Arma 2 patch version - (1.01,1.02....)

Arma 2 ingame settings -

Fillrate - (100%,125%...)

View Distance - ( 0-10,000)

Texture Detail - (low,normal,high...)

Graphics Memory - (low,normal,high...)

AF - (low,normal,high...)

Landscape Detail - (low,normal,high...)

Object Detail - (low,normal,high...)

Shadow Detail - (low,normal,high...)

Post Processing - (low,normal,high...)

Additional

Ingame mods in current use - (language pack,blur removal ....)

Additional equipment - (trackir....)

Edited by B|oodThorn

[Rant]

30 fps should be plenty to give a fluid visual experience, most TV stuff has 24 or 25 fps. More than 60 fps (and any number smaller than 60 of which 60 is no multiple to try to be more precise) will actually degrade visual quality if your display runs at 60 Hz, which will most likely be the case if you have a TFT.

If you think 30fps is fluid, your eyes must be really slow. Anything below 60 is not fluid.

And, I always gets annoyed by TVs because they run so freaking low fps.

[Rant]

I am sorry, but since this the troubleshooting forum I fail to see the real trouble here.

Framerate drops below ~24 fps, now that is a problem.

Again sorry for this, but I just recently heard a guy complain about how shitty Arma2 runs compared to Arma1, he went on and on and when asked what' so shitty about it, he said "I had 100 fps with Arma1, and only 30 fps with Arma2" :icon_rolleyes:

When you want to drive a car fast and have fun with it, keep your eyes on the street and not on the speedometer...

[/Rant]

A little constructive stuff at last:

Check driver and application settings about Vsync (not sure if Arma2 has any), maybe there are application specific settings in the driver options, if Vsync off "confirm" that it is an Arma2 and not driver issue by testing the max framerate with another game

Maybe for you. 30fps isn't even close the being as fluid as 60 in this game. And even 60fps isn't even as fluid as 120fps. When I play CoD4 (boo! hiss!) I can easily tell the difference between the times I would get roughly 60fps and 100fps. And my refresh rate is 60mhz. There is a difference, it feels more fluid. That applies to every game as well, not just CoD4. If I had to play CoD4 at 30fps I'd probably never touch the game again, where as Crysis feels ok at 30fps (and better at 50+). Not everyone can detect changes in FPS in the same way, ie personally I can tell a difference up to around 80fps, while some might not see a difference beyond 40fps. Others can see well past 100fps.As for your TV example, it's completely flawed. Old article, but explains much

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html

Dont know how many use this but my friend told me about this he saw on a site (dont know wich). Add to the commandline:

-cpuCount=4 -maxmem=2048 -noCB

He has quad and 3gb ram so thats how he has it setup. If you got dual core change cpuCount to 2 (duh). Maybe test the maxmen as it is even if you have 2GB. Doesnt hurt to test. Maybe you all know this, but just trying to throw this out there if someone didnt know. I have yet to test it myself as i dont have ARMA2, but my mate says it works better indeed than without. What -noCB does i have no clue.

Alex

-winxp, use it in Vista/W7 to enable multi-GPU support (?disables DX9 EX)

-maxmem=2047, allows game engine to use more RAM (2047 is hardcoded maximum atm, anything higher falls back to 2047). For 3>GB systems only.

-noCB, turns off multicore drawing, slow down rendering but may resolve visual glitches

-cpuCount=X, change X to a number equal or less than numbers of available cores. This will override our autodetection.

Changing affinity on the fly is definitely not good, because worker threads are spawned on the game initialization,

and by lowering affinity later you cause threads competing for cores.

The best way to simulate dual core on quad core is to use -cpuCount=2 when you run the game

and then change the affinity to 2 cores to make sure additional cores can never be used when some overshedulling happens.

It might be also possible to set the affinity in the OS before you launch the process, that would work as well.

Edited by Dwarden

72;1309486']...What -noCB does i have no clue.

Alex

From what I've been able to google:

"-noCB , turns off multicore drawing, slow down rendering but may resolve visual glitches..."

Not sure how correct that is but there ya go.

EDIT: Argh! He/\ beat me to it!

Ive recently run into multiplayer capping me at 30 frames, its rediculous I load up a scenario or load a ofp ported map and can play between 40>70 fps look at sky 130 look and ground 130.

But for some reason of late when i join mp games or host one myself the frames seem to get locked to 30.. it tries hard to go beyond i can tell as sometimes one sees a flicker up to 33 and then its shoved back again to 30.. I drove out of the base where the start was and into nomans land and the frames stayed at 30 lol its fracking rediculous..

Forcing vsynch off in ati tray tools works a treat as you can tell for sp game for me, but has no effect at all on mp/self hosted games.. What blows is the fact I was playing mp games at around 35>45 on avg frames, and it just seems to of changed on its own and now locked at 30 lol, no idea what happened at all. grrrrrrrr.

Ive recently run into multiplayer capping me at 30 frames, its rediculous I load up a scenario or load a ofp ported map and can play between 40>70 fps look at sky 130 look and ground 130.

But for some reason of late when i join mp games or host one myself the frames seem to get locked to 30.. it tries hard to go beyond i can tell as sometimes one sees a flicker up to 33 and then its shoved back again to 30.. I drove out of the base where the start was and into nomans land and the frames stayed at 30 lol its fracking rediculous..

Forcing vsynch off in ati tray tools works a treat as you can tell for sp game for me, but has no effect at all on mp/self hosted games.. What blows is the fact I was playing mp games at around 35>45 on avg frames, and it just seems to of changed on its own and now locked at 30 lol, no idea what happened at all. grrrrrrrr.

Yup. I also noticed this. What's funny is that it also makes my card work at between 50-60% usage (for both GPUs). In SP 60 fps is max for me and both GPUs at 99% usage.

Yup. I also noticed this. What's funny is that it also makes my card work at between 50-60% usage (for both GPUs). In SP 60 fps is max for me and both GPUs at 99% usage.

yes same here my gpu started running a short time ago in a server with about 30 people at just 25% activity lol,, 50c,, I did some more fiddling as its been so random with frames its untrue.

constant 35+ is fine but 28 and lower seems to kill the immersion and fun. I went on an empty server a min ago and joined 2 others on a simpler mission and previously I had altered my screen and gfx options in last said server to see if it was anything buggered like that. Heck I joined the next server and my res was like stuck at some low scale no matter what i changed in gfx option it did nothing. I had to delete the profiles and rpt files etc and start again.

Once I did that everything was back to reasonable frames again and behaving, 35>60 frames on the server that I was just getting 25 max and could not alter my gfx settings to make any changes.

Just another noticed thing as well, The armaotherprofile cfg i remade and have done before now did this, has changed once again in its layout/format.

I noticed this a little while back but thought well its all there so must be ok, but it seems to change placement in the cfg file all the setting options, not sure if thats normal but in the standard profile the one it picks off your desktop login name for example that always stays formated the same..

Anyhow the plot thickens with randomness, roll on a few patches I say. That HDR stuff needs sorting or maybe its just developers drivers for our cards I dunno, but watching the time shift and the lighting move around made my fps also change where i was facing :D and this happened over a matter of a min or less.

I was standing facing North, the lighting moved as it does and the frames went from 50 to 35.. Now I then turned the whole player model around to the right to the NE then E and my frames went back up to 50+. Heh work that out :D

But getting a bit sick an tired of chasing this engine to get a stable game of late frames wise. It has a mind of its own it seems.. :(

I played on the same server that I normally play on tonight and Ive never had this issue on there server, tonight however I did have this problem its not server side I know that but I did notice that my CPU usage was at 20% which is incredibly low, might be worth other people checking what there CPU usage is when they get this cap, its definitlely CPU related though looking into the sky doesnt even increase FPS.

Ok I talked to him yesterday and he got over the 30fps and it seems that it only happens in games in whcih AI is involved.

I can notice this,too. When I start a round on Coop Evolution first it runs with 50-60fps and after an hour it never goes over 30/40 depending on the viewdistance...

Does the AI eat that much performance ? This happens when creating an own server or playing on a server somewhere else. I thought when I play on a server the server does calculate the AI, doesn't it ?

When my computer has to calculate the AI even when playing on other servers that would explain it. Otherwise the framerate of the server is strongly connected to the one that players have on that server...

Edited by Cionara

tell you what, another frame lag issue ive noticed is when in map mode, if you dont have already a fair fps at start you can bet that the map will not get past 25 fps..

If i get a server and a game where suddenly im in the 40 50 and 60 fps area the map is smooth as butter and i can scroll around it zoom in and out not a problem, otherwise its shoddy to say the least.

my opnion is that 30fps for a movie is good but really the edge of playable to play a game