Sign in to follow this  
runforrest

heavy color correction and light film grain

from the 3d editor thread:

hey do you know how to get that filter color used in the editor in game ? i like it this way

i asked myself something similar as i played the first szenario mission and other missions. they all have a yellow-brown touch, what looks really cool.

no weather,daytime or month settings brought that effect in the editor, so i looked into the mission files. in the init.sqf u can find this:

//heavy color correction

"colorCorrections" ppEffectAdjust [1, 1.04, -0.004, [0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0], [1, 0.8, 0.6, 0.5], [0.199, 0.587, 0.114, 0.0]];

"colorCorrections" ppEffectCommit 0;

"colorCorrections" ppEffectEnable true;

//light film grain

"filmGrain" ppEffectEnable true;

"filmGrain" ppEffectAdjust [0.02, 1, 1, 0.1, 1, false];

"filmGrain" ppEffectCommit 0;

maybe the 3d editor look might also be effected by this?

does any1 have more info about the upper settings? what number has what kind of effect?

since arma1 i wished there was a possibility to have a better looking NVG effect. looks like heavy color correction and light film grain is the solution to this :)

Good find, I was wondering how they did that.

Has someone tried how much this influences framerate?

from the 3d editor thread:

i asked myself something similar as i played the first szenario mission and other missions. they all have a yellow-brown touch, what looks really cool.

no weather,daytime or month settings brought that effect in the editor, so i looked into the mission files. in the init.sqf u can find this:

//heavy color correction

"colorCorrections" ppEffectAdjust [1, 1.04, -0.004, [0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0], [1, 0.8, 0.6, 0.5], [0.199, 0.587, 0.114, 0.0]];

//light film grain

"filmGrain" ppEffectAdjust [0.02, 1, 1, 0.1, 1, false];

maybe the 3d editor look might also be effected by this?

does any1 have more info about the upper settings? what number has what kind of effect?

since arma1 i wished there was a possibility to have a better looking NVG effect. looks like heavy color correction and light film grain is the solution to this :)

Although I don't know for definite, for colour correction I can imagine the settings would be (from best guesses and looking at the values):

"colorCorrections" ppEffectAdjust [brightness, Contrast, Saturation, [Lowlights R,G,B,Alpha], [Mids R,G,B,Alpha], [Highlights R,G,B,Alpha]]

Edited by DaveP

i tried to add the filmgrain effect to the nvg with this but i cant seem to get it to do anything

class CfgPatches{

class NVGoggles

{

units[] = {};

weapons[] = {};

requiredVersion = 0.100000;

requiredAddons[] = {"CAWeapons" };

};

};

class cfgWeapons{

class Binocular;

class NVGoggles:Binocular

{

opticsPPEffects[] = {"OpticsCHAbera1","OpticsBlur1","TankCommanderOptics1"};

};

};

Based on some testing of the values here is a preliminary report:

COLOR CORRECTION-

"ColorCorrections" ppEffectAdjust [brightness, White balance, gamma, [unsure (leave at default)], [red balance, green balance, blue balance, saturation], [sepai brightness (red?), sepai brightness (blue?), sepai brightness (green?), unsure]]

FILM GRAIN-

"filmgrain" ppEffectAdjust [intensity, grain fill amount (lower values = more fill), grain size, jitter amount (?), grain color amount, not sure]

DYNAMIC BLUR-

"dynamicBlur" ppEffectAdjust [amount of blur]

Take this worth a grain of salt, I am not a color theorist and could be completely wrong :)

the parameters used for the 3d editor are not accessible ?

this is what i used in my mission intro : -

"colorCorrections" ppEffectAdjust [1, 1.04, -0.004, [0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.0], [0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.0],  [0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.0]]; 

"filmGrain" ppEffectAdjust [0.2, 0.1, 0.1, 0.1, 1, false];

Here are some more for you guys to investigate:

"radialBlur" ppEffectEnable false;

"wetDistortion" ppEffectEnable false;

"chromAberration" ppEffectEnable false;

wetdistortion is great^^ on high values it looks like you are under water^^

BTW: With some tweaks i have made my arma2 looking like stalker: clear sky. Just some colorcorrection, more brown, less color and a little bit filmgrain. Perfect for zombie and postapokalypse missions!

Based on some testing of the values here is a preliminary report:

COLOR CORRECTION-

"ColorCorrections" ppEffectAdjust [brightness, White balance, gamma, [unsure (leave at default)], [red balance, green balance, blue balance, saturation], [sepai brightness (red?), sepai brightness (blue?), sepai brightness (green?), unsure]]

FILM GRAIN-

"filmgrain" ppEffectAdjust [intensity, grain fill amount (lower values = more fill), grain size, jitter amount (?), grain color amount, not sure]

DYNAMIC BLUR-

"dynamicBlur" ppEffectAdjust [amount of blur]

Take this worth a grain of salt, I am not a color theorist and could be completely wrong :)

COLOR INVERSION-

"ColorInversion" ppEffectAdjust [red, green, blue] (Values from 0-1)

i don't know if it's the best way to do it but it works

in the mission editor i add a game logic/modules/functions then in initialization properties i add:

"colorCorrections" ppEffectAdjust [1, 1, 0, [0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.0], [0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.8], [0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.0]];

which makes the saturation 80%

Edited by Sam75

Where on earth is chromatic abberations used in the game?

About NVG system, I want a worse system as well, but for some guns I'd like it to stay as it is (night optics being generally better than night vision goggles). Is this possible to do?

Sepai? Possible it should be sepia (toning looking like old photographs)?

Okay, for those interested I benchmarked this: It doesn't cost any frames. Running my default benchmark mission unchanged and then with color correction added, it's no measurable difference at all, in fact the values vary so that some CC numbers are better than without CC.

Put this to some trigger or script and have fun ;)

delay = 1; "colorInversion" ppEffectEnable true;  "colorInversion" ppEffectAdjust [0,0,0]; "colorInversion" ppEffectCommit 0; sqf = [] spawn {while {true} do {sleep delay; "colorInversion" ppEffectAdjust [random 1,random 1,random 1]; "colorInversion" ppEffectCommit delay}}

What are the possibilities/limitations of the post processing system? Does it have the possibility to do transpormations on an (overlay) image? Like position, scale, rotation, and skew?

Put this to some trigger or script and have fun ;)

delay = 1; "colorInversion" ppEffectEnable true;  "colorInversion" ppEffectAdjust [0,0,0]; "colorInversion" ppEffectCommit 0; sqf = [] spawn {while {true} do {sleep delay; "colorInversion" ppEffectAdjust [random 1,random 1,random 1]; "colorInversion" ppEffectCommit delay}}

wooah duude :oh:

We need this coming with mortar shells!

Where on earth is chromatic abberations used in the game?

In the outer regions of the scope view. Compare the top of the tower:

zoom1h.th.jpg

zoom2a.th.jpg

Holy moly!! I never dreamed a game developer even knew about these things. Talk about insane attention to detail :D

Hehe someone posted a video of Gaia's script in action:

maI2hUcYtZo&fmt=18

Color correction is just great. It's now possible to make those OFP style red dawns and sunsets without a hassle :bounce3:. Blueish moonlight looks also very cool.