Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

Since there's a major lack in armor I decided to give a go at it. Keep in mind that this is my first ever "serious" model. Its the M5A2 from Tom Clancy's Endwar, I think its a practical, short term futuristic design which is why I chose it.

Any constructive criticism is appreciated (compliments too of course) but im afraid that I have very little experience with 3d models so I might not be able to implement them. I chose the M1HC as a base, so far there have only been changes to the turret.

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5433/m5a2front.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/3643/m5a2back.jpg

The part of the turret closest to the cannon still looks very Abrams-ee. Maybe make the edges sharper and the turret more ?"rounded"? overall to match the picture. That picture actually looks a bit like the turret on one of old ArmA M60s. From the side anyways.

The Crysis M5A2:

645px-Atlas2.jpg

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

diffuse needs work

[imghttp://img705.imageshack.us/img705/7734/ches.jpg[/img]

I think it's more in need of a specular map and a less severe normal map. It has the look of clay because it seems to have a very consistent specular.

I'm not really sure if you would be able to do super effective hair in this engine unless you figured out the skin shader and applied it to the hair, and then did a really heavily stylized spec map. Hair has sub surface scattering and an isotropic specular.

@HarryZhe

Careful with your alpha maps. They should be either white or black for hair, not anti-aliased. The renderer will filter the map and anti-alias it a bit, and for hairs it shouldn't be that noticeable. If your alpha map is anti-aliased, though, the tips of the hairs appear feathered. Kind of like a razor-cut but in a bad way.

it's meant to look messy though... Will it looks different ingame to how it does in bulldozer?

it's meant to look messy though... Will it looks different ingame to how it does in bulldozer?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Here's what I'm talking about, though.

A hair is either there or it's not. There' no real 50% hair. So, if your alpha is excessively antialiased or you're using pen pressure to define the strength of your brush, you get this weird, feathery ghosty edge thing happening that doesn't happen with real hair. It's hard to tell but it looks like you have some of that going on on your poly planes. It may just be a lack of anisotropic filtration.

popup_2.jpg

Notice in this shot the hair is crisp and hard, but still looks like hair. The map seems quite high res but the effect is good.

http://www.ordix.com/pfolio/tutorial/hair/Ver3Dcafe/img/amikohair-blonde.jpg 101kb

Notice how this looks like shit. This is from an actual hair tut. This is *actually* the end product. Now, there's a lot more in this shot that's going on that's unappealing besides the hair- I'd imagine this person does not have a very critical eye. The point is that this is an extreme example of bad, feathery hair, and this person obviously believed that semi transparent hair is the way it should be.

image_medium.jpg

This one is alright. It has a little bit of the anti-aliasing going on at the tips. Hair can seem kind of see-through at the tips, especially when there is light coming from behind, but seen with a background behind from up close, I think the effect would fall apart.

Edited by Max Power

The effect it's trying to give, though, is the hairs tapering to a point (which they do) and rather than have an impractically high res texture, or have visible jagged lines, people generally opt to use full 8 bit alphas on hair for game characters.

You might notice the pics you posted arent of game characters

http://www.paultosca.com/varga_hair.html

The effect it's trying to give, though, is the hairs tapering to a point (which they do) and rather than have an impractically high res texture, or have visible jagged lines, people generally opt to use full 8 bit alphas on hair for game characters.

You might notice the pics you posted arent of game characters

http://www.paultosca.com/varga_hair.html

Yes, they do, but you can't split a pixel. Making the ends of hairs 50% see-through isn't the answer, in my opinion. I've made plenty of bad hair, and I don't suppose I'm though making bad hair just yet! It is just my opinion that you can get the results you want better with minimal feathering. You can't see through hairs like you can in that shot in the tut where you see the details of the arrows through her locks.

I'm struggling to find a good picture of a background through someone's messy hair (it's all on a flat colour background), but look at this person's eye through a few strands of her hair:

2007-messy-curls.jpg

They are definitely bang in front of her eye, not hazily obscuring it in a ghostly halo.

Food for thought, I guess.

Edited by Max Power

oh, they are done with minimal feathering.. i thought you were suggesting using 1 bit alpha

In my opinion the hair looks great. That kind of unwashed look. And the effect of partly translucent hair - nothing wrong with it if it is used with discretion. Light goes through hair no problem and the translucency is only affected by the amount of hair sticking together.

The hair should look ingame the same as in buldozer.

As I was comparing the M1 Abrams to the M5 I noticed that they look nearly identical in most area's, so taking advice im trying to change the look a bit so it doesnt look like the abrams.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2169/m5a3frontday2copy.jpg

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1649/m5a3backday2copy.jpg

Im not happy with the way the front looks yet so there will be more changes as I play around with it.

i think ive made progress

That's why you modeled the cigar before. Maybe someone will make mod about Cuban revolution ;)

Awesome crossbow! :D

Will it actually shoot the arrow? And not some BIS laser tracer :D

Anyways, here is something not as awesome I made:

wip02j.th.jpg

wip01.th.jpg

Back of the truck has been also modelled, and doors are two separate parts, so

if someone ever finishes this, he can make rear doors openable :P

Car itself is fictive, since I dont really wanna try to make something

realistic, I would just mess it up :D

oh, they are done with minimal feathering.. i thought you were suggesting using 1 bit alpha

Almost. IMHO the harder the better up to the point where it starts to look like lego hair. I should do some tests with Buldozer. It's been a while since I've done hair.

A good technique that I found Courtesy of Ben Mathis is as follows:

From http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/hair_tutorial/hair_01.htm

hair_11.jpg

This is a PIMM original technique. It just came to me while thinking about what makes most painted hair so fake. Real hair breaks, and the shorter pieces will tend to stick out. To simulate this, grab the three pixel brush or the one pixel, and change the opacity controls from pressure, to "fade" play with the number of steps, I use between 15-45 depending on the size of the texture. This will force the stroke to start at full opacity and fade to zero over that many steps. Now brush into the direction of the hair. This simulates the broken edes of the hair. I normally do this on a new layer, and then play with the opacity of the layer before flattening. Use both light and dark strokes, and it will help make the hair look more realistic.

Sometimes broken hairs and split ends can collect light in their broken tips, looking kind of like fibre optics.

anon-static-P.jpgchem_damaged_hair.jpg

Depending on the hair, sometimes doing a squiggle that fades from bright to dark and ends in a fast, swooping stroke in the direction of the rest of the hair can look very nice on the fringes.

Instead of using standard rounds for the bullet. Any chance you can make it as a grenade laucher? And make a new model for the m203 round? ...

Giggity... My First fail.... LoL.

=)

Awesome crossbow! :D

Will it actually shoot the arrow? And not some BIS laser tracer :D

Anyways, here is something not as awesome I made:

wip02j.th.jpg

wip01.th.jpg

Back of the truck has been also modelled, and doors are two separate parts, so

if someone ever finishes this, he can make rear doors openable :P

Car itself is fictive, since I dont really wanna try to make something

realistic, I would just mess it up :D

Will it come with a bag of candy? :O