Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

Nice ebanks, been waiting for the pech/korrengal valley. Looks great so far, maybe the FOB could be better but looks great.

Nice ebanks, been waiting for the pech/korrengal valley. Looks great so far, maybe the FOB could be better but looks great.

Those are not FOBs, those are Outposts/Camps.

I've been always expecting a map with high and huge mountains since OFP. Enbanks, you let my dream come true, millions of thanks.

Great looking map, just maybe use OA textures? these looks blurry, but cant wait to play on that, dont forget to include some flora, dense grass, bushes on the hills, astan ain't sand and rocks only as in OA :/ But Awesome map.

Great looking map, just maybe use OA textures? these looks blurry, but cant wait to play on that, dont forget to include some flora, dense grass, bushes on the hills, astan ain't sand and rocks only as in OA :/ But Awesome map.

Yes, I know these things;) I do my homework:)

Awesome, it just seems to me that the material reflection is too strong. Other than that superb job!

Awesome, it just seems to me that the material reflection is too strong. Other than that superb job!

In game the effect is diffused and looks quite good :)

13UJnS.jpg

13ULT0.jpg

pouches, stitches probably too big ?

still trying to get normal maps working in modo

Edited by Fox '09

no offence but i the above is either not your model (due to how the topology looks like) or you should be working some more on getting rid of those triangles..

what if he's just THAT PRO.

everyone who ever modded something in his life will never ever make the mistake of having that topology around (the wheels for instance), unless he wants to have some headaches when UV_mapping, or baking etc

Same goes for fenders

The reason i suggested to have a second look over those, especially since the rest of the edges are ok.

Anyways, for texturing, do you need UV tuts as well, or only 2d texturing?

BTW: starting with max 2010, you can easily paint on the 3d object using the graphite modelling tools.

Edited by PuFu

So long as it shades okay there shouldn't really be a problem on those triangles because the mesh won't be deforming there.

Why would the UV unwrap be difficult with those triangles? You wouldn't want any seams in those places in the first place.

KTO Rosomak, base model with base texture but theres still a lot to do...

3dsmax2010080117461612.th.jpg

3dsmax2010080117460091.th.jpg

3dsmax2010080117455732.th.jpg

3dsmax2010073115073951.th.jpg

Looks great Dan. Rosomak is one of the very few things I like in Polish Army. ;p

Why would the UV unwrap be difficult with those triangles? You wouldn't want any seams in those places in the first place.

because of missing loops really..

So long as it shades okay there shouldn't really be a problem on those triangles because the mesh won't be deforming there.

From my experience, it is better to avoid triangles while modelling as much as possible, since it breaks the working flow (at least for me).

Secondly, the mentioned triangles are very narrow angled, which is something that i have learned to avoid as much as i can, especially on the model that i am talking about, where fixing it would be dead easy. I have encountered weird behaviour with DX shaders arround those sort of areas, as well as errors during bakes.

no offense but i the above is either not your model (due to how the topology looks like) or you should be working some more on getting rid of those triangles..

everyone who ever modded something in his life will never ever make the mistake of having that topology around (the wheels for instance), unless he wants to have some headaches when UV_mapping, or baking etc

Same goes for fenders

Euhm, okay, yea i did make this one, but i have no clue what u mean with 'Topolygon around the wheels' or anything els :o

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee247/shooty-a-m/Modelin/Jeepmitdhu02.png?t=1283359496

few picuters, Album password = ImCrim

So what u suggest on doing me... Please, don't do it in the modding language xD

I just modeled this one to might get a addon for the rp-mod in arma2, i had 3dmax, i did screwed around with it a lot, but never actually done something to make it work or be like this, (even i suprised me brother i could pull this of, in a kind of way i feel happy how the jeep turned out)

all i do is just shift drag the edges in max and target weld with the vertecise how they seem to look good for me,, also 'had' view ports (side, top, front & back) up to help me, but as i finished it i got rid of them.

(watched many youtube vids and saw some people using that triangle shape on wheels to lower the polygon count or something. if thats what u mean?)

About the texturing, Witch would be a fine or best way to get a good looking texture in it for games?

UV mapping?

Edited by Crim

Pufu is saying that your mesh doesn't flow correctly which can cause problems in realtime rendering and texturing. He says that you should avoid acute triangles. For instance, it would be better to redistribute the edges on your wheels there so instead of all edges leading to a single point, they are more evenly distributed in the form of quadrangles.

UV mapping is the only way to make a good looking texture in games.

I'm interested in your process, since you're new. Tell me how you modelled this truck. How long did it take you?

Edited by Max Power

Well the first day i did some little crappy car that did not work out as i was just testing and watching a youtube video [Link to video] its a older version but it worked pretty much. trying to follow him a bit around to get back in line with 3dmax cuz it was kinda a long time ago,

But. On the side view of the "view-port plane i had sad up" or something like that, I've toke the "Cylinder" and made on from the middle of the tire to the body work of the vehicle where the wheel is placed, Extruded all edges, then erased the inner polygone, from there of i started to work on the side body, Slightly moving up the the hood, and bumper. when that was done, i went to the back of it, and roof (only outer side yet). took me around A full night " probably around 7-8 hours, to get the outside of it, and then i was stuck at the interior, as i knew it never worked of like i wanted, but this time i had a feeling that it was going quit good, so i mirrored the (Left) part of the jeep, copied over, Toke the middle vertecise and collapsed them, then i took the windows and extruded them inside, putting each vertex kinda on its position i went for the inside seats. wheels, steering wheel, and front seat was done apart, then i fitted them in by attaching to object, still i find them quit easy made, simple but effective. and know i wanted to know how i could texture the best way, UV map, just textures 2d or .. ?

So after all i think i spended 14 to 15 hours to make it like this.

Edit: As for the cars i once tried to make but never had the "Finishing feeling for' prob due hating school(no i do not follow any modding school, i just hated school&still do, it effected my entire life :P ) and rather playing games,never had a change to follow a art school to make it to anything like making games ^.^'

The crapy car to get back in tuch* view port images where deleted so ye, those are blank.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee247/shooty-a-m/Modelin/HondaAccord.png

Should of been a sort of Seat

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee247/shooty-a-m/Modelin/CAR02.png

And this was made by using toyota blueprints

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee247/shooty-a-m/Modelin/CAR01.png

'My very first Object i made: http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee247/shooty-a-m/Modelin/Kasten.png

A closet, so u don't need to click that xD

Edit2: Second ad, You mean fixing this right?

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee247/shooty-a-m/Modelin/Jeepmitdhu03.png

Edited by Crim

Euhm, okay, yea i did make this one, but i have no clue what u mean with 'Topolygon around the wheels' or anything els :o

It probably sounded a lot harsher than i have intended, i am sorry for that

As it is one of your early models, it actually looks quite good. I mean it

So what u suggest on doing me... Please, don't do it in the modding language xD

I'm sorry, i will explain some things here, linking terms to wikis or what not

Topology is the way a model is made. It is composed from the faces, edges, vertices etc.

The key rule when modelling for games, is to have all faces as quads=quadrilaterals(prefered) and triangles.

The main reason for keeping every face as quad is sub-division(know as subD) modelling.

My main gripe with your edge flow is on the wheel. Here is what i mean:

ie1l.th.jpg

The number of sides for spheres and cylinder (in fact all objects based on round shapes) is also pretty important as you can see(you have 16 sided object for the wheels)

About the texturing, Witch would be a fine or best way to get a good looking texture in it for games?

UV mapping?

i wanted to know how i could texture the best way, UV map, just textures 2d or .. ?

Yes, you need your model UVW unwrapped first. Then you can work your way thorugh all the maps you need(diffuse, specular, normal, ambient occlusion), either using a 2d software such as PS or GIMP(free), or painting directly on the 3d model (i don't recommend using the paint on canvas tool available in max 2010 though)

Hope the above helps

Edited by PuFu