Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

It's difficult to tell anything in those screens by the lighting. If you're showing off your textures or the form of your units, why are you hiding them?

At any rate, the units look slightly like they are inflated. Compare to the picture you posted on johnnycage's thread:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19737&d=1167709309 Do not quote images, remove the "IMG" tags when quoting a post with a hotlinked image.

Your units look too thick, especially in the torso and shoulder areas and around the knees. I remember reading something about fir collars... but I can't tell by the screenshot. Are these in parkas or something?

Well:

Knee's = sown in knee pads.

Torso = Body armour is quite bulky......

shoulders = Most infantry soldiers have broad shoulders due to carrying weight I Mo this due to the fact my personal weapon is the GPMG Light Role.

There is constructive criticism and there's trolling. Why you trolling man?

I think these units look absolutely awesome. Good effort staguls.

Edited by Foxhound
img tags removed from the quoted post.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/spycamsniperproir.jpg/

Based on real device Steath Cam

Remote camera its a great device to perimeter defending and enemy spotting!

!WIP in progress!

You have a mine with camera

and you can place this device on ground (looks like a satchel, maby add ability to attachTo device nearObject on 1m height, trees, walls, maby cars :), or install the camera on a tripod).

Activate camera

this weap have 3 good features (swith visors - NV,TI,float zoom), can explode, and can thow gass (CS).

and you can set cam to alarm, if enemyes nearby (maby 500m range, or detect on movement in view range), owner - get a voice singal about that, switch to device and can choise what do, explode, gass pr observe...

Device can be dostroyed or damaged if hit.

Cam lens can rotate to 360 deg, or 120, accsess to device limited by range, example, maximal distance to good signal is 500m, if out of range, you cant swith to cam view

this item must have a large amount of weight, 3.5-4.8kg in real life(no multi ASE ;) )

And player can set only one device

maby, after one hour or some time, terminates when the battery, the camera will be not available (requering a ace batteryes).

What thinks about that?!

Edited by J-Guid

-snip- old message

Edited by Fox '09

Well:

Knee's = sown in knee pads.

Torso = Body armour is quite bulky......

shoulders = Most infantry soldiers have broad shoulders due to carrying weight I Mo this due to the fact my personal weapon is the GPMG Light Role.

There is constructive criticism and there's trolling. Why you trolling man?

I think these units look absolutely awesome. Good effort staguls.

Are you seriously responding to a year old message to call me a troll?

I already said that compared to the pictures his models are too bulky. All of this 'armour is bulky, soldiers are str0000nng1!!!1' stuff is all good until you look at actual pictures of the soldiers, then you realize that what you're saying is not correct. Proportion is an important part of artwork, as is reference.

Speaking of reference

136 pieces of reference & 20 hours of modelling later

zmRKE.png

@DaveP

Nice Scimitar, looking forward to seeing it with its make up and party dress on

Niftyness! Do you have plans to turn it into a Mk2 later on?

Given this is the first vehicle addon I've worked on since 2003, we'll see if I can get this one in game then go from there ;)

Capture.pngcapture2.pngCapture3.png

Click for larger.

I have fears about the proportions now that that has been brought up again in this thread. What do you guys think?

edit:

it appears an arm model is still inside the top, i'll have to remove it so dismiss it for now. Anything that is clipping will obviously be fixed.

There's definitely something about the shape of his legs that seems not anatomically correct but the proportions don't seem that bad.

Another issue is that the pant legs are the same average thickness from the thigh to the cuff, they seem to vary in thickness, and they seem to heavily bow out at the shins and then get sucked back in at the ankles. Remember, while a tube of cloth may wrinkle and drape over his leg, it should not actually change in overall diameter. This means that a huge bugle on one side would be met with the opposite on all other sides, and if it was compressed on one axis, it will expand on the perpendicular axis.

His left pant leg also seems to cut out an area where I would expect his calf muscle to be. On the right pant leg, there is a bump that is higher at the top than at the bottom- which may be physically possible with very stiff pants, it is highly unusual and unlikely.

I think a good place to start would be to eliminate the odd bumps and flares in the cuffs of his trousers. With that done you may try tapering them slightly. However, after you do straighten out the pant legs a little, we can take another look at the proportions, and then you can add some back in.

edit: There also might be something going on in his pelvis area, and in the crotch of his pants. His upper thighs feel bound or something like his pants are riding too low, but I can't put my finger on it. I think the joints are not correctly rigged, and that his thighs should be thicker higher up or something. His actual hip joints feel pushed downwards, I think.

Edited by Max Power

Thanks, I'll see what I can come up with, I think I understand what you're getting at. I think the waist is the most disturbing to me, I'll see what I can do to sort that one out especially.

The odd bumps came from my futile attempts to give more variation in o2, if anything I should of done it in Modo.

Edited by Fox '09

Your units look great (hoping for some U.S. Army SF units similar to these sometime down the road :) really have enjoyed your US SOF units). However, something doesn't seem right about the helmet. I know that this helmet has been used for other units, but the helmet just doesn't look like the real thing. It's not authentic/realistic to the real thing, like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ83wlyNmzyVXY0mrM3CaQ-qmMfKHWMgvTrOdnMB4GY396wwu7wqg

091201a5864h012.jpg

100821-F-6044B-080.JPG

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7xH3JptiM2JE4fqRIOasGp623Ln9glPemh7lHTrDhFfZeGJWp

The proportions don't seem right. As you can see, the helmet covers almost the entire forehead and covers more of the back of the head than the currently used model. I know your focus is on the clothing and gear, but the disproportional helmet makes the unit look weird. I just want the units to look as believable and realistic/authentic as possible. IF you decide to redo the helmet (which I hope you do), maybe you can even use these images or images like these as a reference. But great job so far!

that's the FAST helmet, not the MSA high-cut ACH.

Though, as far as helmet goes, for my earlier-style CAG i'm going to create a F6 helmet

Edited by Fox '09

Hello, I'm new here to this topic so cheers everyone!

To get started I have been modelling for 4 or so years. I use Blender for my modelling, Sculptris for sculpting and Photoshop CS2 for texturing.

I haven't really modded or got my models in any game except Warband which I am sure some of you have heard about. Anyhow I'm not just keen on modding games... I'd like to actually know how to make models appropriate for gaming that are game ready and good quality. And hopefully one day I'll land a job as a game artist so I hope.

Anyway to get to the topic, I've tried at least twice to model a soldier and failed both times. I just can't get the quality as good as others but anyway I suppose a HP model and then a retopo should work.

Here's some of the work I've made:

M1a12.png

M1a1-2.png

M16.png

M16_3.png

M16_2.png

Marine-2.png

Marine3-2.png

Marine4-1.png

Helmet6.png

WW2Helmet.png

About the M16 was it a mistake modelling it in so many pieces?

that's the FAST helmet' date=' not the MSA high-cut ACH.

Though, as far as helmet goes, for my earlier-style CAG i'm going to create a F6 helmet[/quote']

Ok, so they aren't the same helmet. Well that makes sense then.

Something i thought about yesterday

when playing MP, i noticed how some A-10 pilots cant handle multiple things at the same time and crash or get shot down, e.g. while going in for an attack run, SAMs and AA are shooting them down, or while popping flares on a strafing run, they lose concentration looking at the radar and crash

I remembered a plane from Ace combat 5, the YA-10B, a 2 seater A-10

I thought it would be handy to spread the workload between 2 people, the worries about

enemy fire and controlling the plane, while the gunner does the blowing stuff business

created with CO-OP in mind

so, heres my work after about 20 minutes

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm180/guitaro-man/YA-10B.jpg

will work on it more after Christmas