Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

What do you have in mind for a paint scheme?

Abs

I don't actually. My time is very limited these days, and i use the small gaps in my schedule to model stuff around as i find it relaxing/entertaining :) I didn't get that far with my thoughts on the model yet :)

I don't actually. My time is very limited these days, and i use the small gaps in my schedule to model stuff around as i find it relaxing/entertaining :) I didn't get that far with my thoughts on the model yet :)

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply. :)

Abs

some modo renders of my us army 2010 guys (AO + full color) instead of o2 and arma 2 for a change...

render1.jpg render2.jpg

lo folks

Running about in-game you could be forgiven for thinking everyone was <blatant racism removed>, you go into a house and anything not structurally vital appears to have been taken by the 'fleeing refugees' including the kitchen sink.

So whilst confined to the laptop, moving house i'm working on a 'proof of concept' mechanics garage building that will be perfectionistically detailed and built inside and out using real life building methods whilst maintaining a playable frame rate. Yes that object in the roof is an immersion water heater complete with pipe work leading to radiators and sinks. At least civilians will no longer be cold!

th_Untitled-2-1.jpg

(in game pic, HDS11mod work)

Edited by W0lle

this is my profession speaking, so please don't take it personally: why are you using steel structure for a very simple house?

Its alright :)

Uk mechanics garages, especially the older ones tend to be built like that in rural areas (where i live anyways lol) Ive been using these pics as inspiration for the walls and roof: http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/build-pole-barns-1.jpg, http://www.haynesmotormuseum.com/commercial-services/images/haynes_049.jpg

Hope that makes sense ^^

oh and to quickly point out ... the removed word was not 'black', thank you :)

Edited by Elliot Carver

got it, i though you were making a house, not a garage.

My bad, it is definitely pretty late around here, i'll blame it on that :)

I like what you are doing there Elliott, It would be really nice to add/replace some buildings in Cherna so that we can have some indoors fighting/hiding.

some modo renders of my us army 2010 guys (AO + full color) instead of o2 and arma 2 for a change...

Do not quote images

that looks nice. i think the reason they have a rough transition from the arm to shoulder is because you're not making the shoulders sloped enough.

Edited by W0lle

Currently im working on my Nogovan Armed Forces project, which some of you may remember my OFP units. Well ive carried this idea over to Arma2, currently im at a stage i can begin soon releasing infantry models. I have a some question about my Special Forces Units, i was planning to use

http://naf.8bit-online.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/NAF_highland_ranger.jpg

which the model is made by The_Blink, my question is that do they look hightech enough or modern enough to be Special Forces compared my reskinned ACR units which im planning to be my Paratroopers

http://naf.8bit-online.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/NAF_para.jpg

Also screenshots arent of highest quality forgot to switch my graphics to very high

Thanks

Edited by R0adki11

Looks like a lot of shadows are present in that image. It will require you to edit it quite a bit, I think.

IED sensor for the mraps.. u can see one on the video

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu285/salam20/arma2/sensor-2.jpg

Is that not just a Drivers Thermal Imager rather than a specific IED sensor?

The unit on top looks exactly like the DVE unit we install on Warrior's driver hatch in the UK, 'cept ours are fixed in a forward-looking position and don't have that boxy unit below, that I assume houses the motors for the pivoting action. They're made by DRS/Finmeccanica IIRC.

I think they use flir or polyflourine lasers to detect IEDs, so it's possible the 'IED detector' is just a flir unit.

Thermal imaging does have an application in detecting IEDs in that they reveal the different temperature distributions in disturbed soil, and in many circumstances allow you to see roadside objects from a greater distance than Mk.1 eyeball.

However, these smaller devices are a general vision enhancement device that can help spot potential IEDs; but they're just as important for identifying potential enemy combatants, and aiding in navigation when visibility is obstructed by dust, or is otherwise poor. DRS certainly market this particular device for wider application than IED detection:

http://dve.drs.com/index.aspx

Vehicles specifically tasked with hunting IEDs often carry a larger, more sophisticated TI system for the purpose of IED investigation, in addition to these small multi-purpose devices.

Is that not just a Drivers Thermal Imager rather than a specific IED sensor?

The unit on top looks exactly like the DVE unit we install on Warrior's driver hatch in the UK, 'cept ours are fixed in a forward-looking position and don't have that boxy unit below, that I assume houses the motors for the pivoting action. They're made by DRS/Finmeccanica IIRC.

yeah its a dve.. sorry i didnt know how was called anyway it will come with this on the top of veichles (with the bell jar of course)

DRS.jpg

Today I worked to develop a technique to get some subtle rippling in the metal skin of my helicopter quickly (procedurally). This isn't the end result of the implementation in the normal map (like, it's not masked properly), but I think it looks alright! Maybe I'll look at a way to make the changes in direction slightly sharper when the bump map nears final completion.

ripples_Vignette.jpg

Reference

Edited by Max Power

I like the way it looks, Max! I'd love to see a picture of the whole model. :)

Abs

Abs

Thanks, Abs!

It doesn't look much different than last full screen shot except there's some more panels and crap around and the rippling. Yesterday I completely overhauled the intakes but the differences aren't obvious at a glance. Once I finish bump map I'll post a few more shots.

Today I worked to develop a technique to get some subtle rippling in the metal skin of my helicopter quickly (procedurally). This isn't the end result of the implementation in the normal map (like, it's not masked properly), but I think it looks alright! Maybe I'll look at a way to make the changes in direction slightly sharper when the bump map nears final completion.

ripples_Vignette.jpg

Reference

Looking good! What program do you use for the normalmaps? I'm considering to learn how to use some external program for this like Mudbox instead of baking or photoshoping :) Should make a lot better results at least on organic materials I think.

Abs

WTF should i do with a pic? I want the final addon. :D

j/k, looks absolutely amazing.

Looking good! What program do you use for the normalmaps? I'm considering to learn how to use some external program for this like Mudbox instead of baking or photoshoping :) Should make a lot better results at least on organic materials I think.

I use photoshop. I can use zbrush (or I have used it at any rate), but on a project like this, there is no point. You'd spend half your time optimizing the mesh to retain its shape and its uv space after subdividing. Then you'd have a clay model of a helicopter and you'd realize it's just as awkward painting proportionate panels and crap on a 3d canvas as it is a 2d canvas... only lining them up across uv seams would not be an issue... the, of course, there's the issue of bolts and crap- something you definitely don't want to be painting on using billions of square shaped polygons.

Edited by Max Power