Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

Holy crap, Max! Looks like a photo of a real one that someone just removed the background. Did you use a tablet or mouse?

Nice Rifle that Max :)

msehl2.jpg

Gonna do an unwrap before long, perhaps take a couple of days to refine the model and such.

Thanks for the comments, all :)

Very nice! Did you use any special texturing tutorials for this that you would recommend? I would really like to become a lot less dependent on real photos when texturing myself too :) Got a new tablet laptop here as well which should prove excellent for this.

Hmmm.. no texturing tutorials that I know of. Most of the work in those renders is being done by the specular and gloss maps. The biggest thing I learned while doing that project is that it's huge time saver to choose, make, or adjust your brush presets intelligently... you want a brush that looks like what you're trying to paint. For the metal body of the rifle, I used a speckley brush that looks almost like the old spraycan from the macintosh plus days. I went over it in a low 'flow' brush in white for the highlights, then back over it in black to even it out back to a grey colour. This made it look like the material was made of little tiny granules with little pits between them sort of like you see on that sort of metal finish.

Another thing I learned is it's important (at least for me) to use separate layers for separate material types. For instance, there's a few different kinds of metal and plastic on the rifle, each with its own layer or layer group. This makes it easier to use adjustments to tune the different levels of specularity on a specular map or glossiness on the gloss map without repainting the whole thing three times. So, on the magazine I have three levels of material depth for the wear. I have the brass colour, a coat where the matte paint has been polished down by rubbing, and a coat where the matte paint is more or less intact. For the specular map, I desaturate, crush the levels down so that everything is very dark but has high contrast on the details, then go to each layer individually and decide whether bear metal is as shiny as polished polymer paint, and how those compare to straight up matte paint.

Oh, I use a tablet :) ... an old school Wacom Intuos GD from the mid nineties or something. I fished it out of my friend's garbage during one of my midnight rummagings.

@Sterv:

Looking good! It seems a bit long or like there might be a proportion or image aspect ratio issue, but the shape and the details are much closer the real thing. Very nice.

Edited by Max Power

BWP-40 is pretty sexy for a BMP.

yes ;)

in fact BWP, BMP, IFV - are the same shortage but in different languages

BWP = BMP = IFV

bmp2m1.jpg

T90 and BMP3 with FLIR will come too (i hope) to set it all to OA FLIR

Nice vilas - btw the turret IRL is in brown colour?

I really like these russian modern and upgraded stuff :)

Edited by RobertHammer

brown ? it is BIS BMP2 with new elements , on my monitor (maybe it is matter of colours on monitor) all is green

The turret is definitely a different colour from the hull on both vehicles.

It's looking sexy Vilas :), always good to have a green one but i wouldn't mind doing a camo retexture like this

BMP-2M_1.jpg

better pic

yes, thats why i left with green, cause camo texture you will do better :]

Good job, Vilas

Cool idea with berezhok

But I saw a couple of small mistakes...

For example:

0_4bafb_ff113e53_L.jpg

Thanks for the comments, all :)

Hmmm.. no texturing tutorials that I know of. Most of the work in those renders is being done by the specular and gloss maps. The biggest thing I learned while doing that project is that it's huge time saver to choose, make, or adjust your brush presets intelligently... you want a brush that looks like what you're trying to paint. For the metal body of the rifle, I used a speckley brush that looks almost like the old spraycan from the macintosh plus days. I went over it in a low 'flow' brush in white for the highlights, then back over it in black to even it out back to a grey colour. This made it look like the material was made of little tiny granules with little pits between them sort of like you see on that sort of metal finish.

Another thing I learned is it's important (at least for me) to use separate layers for separate material types. For instance, there's a few different kinds of metal and plastic on the rifle, each with its own layer or layer group. This makes it easier to use adjustments to tune the different levels of specularity on a specular map or glossiness on the gloss map without repainting the whole thing three times. So, on the magazine I have three levels of material depth for the wear. I have the brass colour, a coat where the matte paint has been polished down by rubbing, and a coat where the matte paint is more or less intact. For the specular map, I desaturate, crush the levels down so that everything is very dark but has high contrast on the details, then go to each layer individually and decide whether bear metal is as shiny as polished polymer paint, and how those compare to straight up matte paint.

Oh, I use a tablet :) ... an old school Wacom Intuos GD from the mid nineties or something. I fished it out of my friend's garbage during one of my midnight rummagings.

Excellent looking finish Max

this link http://762precision.wordpress.com/custom-duracoat-firearm-finishes/snakeskin-finishes/ has some "interesting" paint finishes available to those with $$

the snakeskin glock needs a wipe clean.. i think i may have ........ :p

Good job, Vilas

Cool idea with berezhok

But I saw a couple of small mistakes...

For example:

http://img-fotki.yandex.ru/get/5300/soundesign.0/0_4bafb_ff113e53_L.jpg[/img]

i found that there are 2 versions of this "thing" in rear of turret (at least i noted 2 different versions)

also top armored plate on turret i have seen in 2 different versions (and gunner sensor too)

i based on this:

http://data3.primeportal.net/apc/yuri_pasholok/bmp-2m_w_kornet/images/bmp-2m_w_kornet_073_of_123.jpg (very large file)

maybe this is "from other year/serie" ?

just like you have AEK 971 in different furnitures from year to year

I think you right. In your model earlier version of weapons systems "Berezhok"

In photographs from the exhibition in 2010 as you can see, this model looks different.

Regards

i found that there are 2 versions of this "thing" in rear of turret (at least i noted 2 different versions)

also top armored plate on turret i have seen in 2 different versions (and gunner sensor too)

i based on this:

http://data3.primeportal.net/apc/yuri_pasholok/bmp-2m_w_kornet/images/bmp-2m_w_kornet_073_of_123.jpg (very large file)

maybe this is "from other year/serie" ?

just like you have AEK 971 in different furnitures from year to year

Hey vilas you wouldn't mind putting some seat positions on top of the BMP would you? :)

Just playing around with the SA-8

I changed the metal texture to a little more bumpy metal look on the Gecko and some minor touch ups.

Sorry for the low quality smaller images, just click on the larger version to see the bumpier metal texture.

I will slightly darken the black camo later

Also did a green radar just then, it's a possibility as it hides the SA-8 better (see last pic)

9k33rus14s.jpg

Larger Image

9k33rus40s.JPG

Larger Image

9k33rus41.JPG

9k33rus21.JPG

9k33rus45.JPG

cheers,

vasmkd

Edited by vasmkd

Yea the green radar looks better, maybe a bit of weathering on it to blend it in with the rest of the vehicle?

Anything else on the cards vasmkd? Maybe Gvozdika or BMP1?

It's Vilas's model

I'm just retexturing it

@colonel stagler

i'm going to do Vilas's BMP-2M next in camo

Edited by vasmkd

Capture.jpg

tried my multicam swatch with some pic-pasted (took with my eos 20d :D) pockets. I think i like the result , but i guess i gotta see it in game...

edit:

corrected pockets: (& in UCP)

Capture.jpg

Edited by Fox '09