Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

Perhaps you are aware of an aircraft that I am not that looks like an f15 but has a tail probe between the engines, and space enough to fit one. :p

HAHA awww come on, I've only really been in this game since september! But yeah you're right. To be honest, the rear area of the aircraft isn't quite how i wanted it to be, but after christmas I'll be really getting on with it because unlike most addons, this one actually has a deadline! (the model is a submission for an assignment at university)

I also asked Santa for a Wacom bamboo graphics tablet for Christmas, and seeing as I've been a really good boy this year, I should finally be off his naughty list (which if you haven't noticed, it's been published on wikileaks and the kids are less than happy about it! http://roosterteeth.com/archive/episode.php?id=1827)

No but seriously, I'll be able to put a base coat on almost immediately after its been unwrapped.

I was serious. I don't know if there's an f15 with a tail boom.

Reference is the key. reference, reference, and more reference. You should devote an entire day to finding good reference.

Don't worry, Another requirement of this assignment is to have drawn my own blueprints to work from. This means I have no choice but to delve deep into the digital world/ internet to find the best pictures and information relevant to my project. As for devoting an entire day to finding reference...Wouldn't that mean I get no time for beer?

Don't worry, Another requirement of this assignment is to have drawn my own blueprints to work from. This means I have no choice but to delve deep into the digital world/ internet to find the best pictures and information relevant to my project. As for devoting an entire day to finding reference...Wouldn't that mean I get no time for beer?

Signing up to the-blueprints, and looking at prime portal, and at the reference thread couldn't hurt.

@RH

BIS style camo to my liking.

Camo still to do on turret and i'm still trying to work out a better way to add dirt/mud and scratches/rust, the camo is the easy part (for me anyway)

@Anyone who has experience in texturing

Any good plugins out there for Photoshop with rust/scratch/mud effects?

I'm still a total noob at this lol

Take a look here

Signing up to the-blueprints, and looking at prime portal, and at the reference thread couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the pointer mate, I'll definately look into that after Christmas. :)

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

@RH

BIS style camo to my liking.

Camo still to do on turret and i'm still trying to work out a better way to add dirt/mud and scratches/rust, the camo is the easy part (for me anyway)

Photoshop has some pretty good brushes as standard, I was wondering, are you using any software to generate the normal map or are you using photoshop to edit the Diffuse map and make it into a normal map?

are you using any software to generate the normal map or are you using photoshop to edit the Diffuse map and make it into a normal map?

That's vilas vehicle and he is always doing the proper way of normal map - also called the "clean way" - from AO or height map - like on this tutorial > http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/9966

Edited by RobertHammer

@RH

No plugins that Im aware of. But for mud and rust, what I usually do is take the AO map, open it up in Photoshop and then pull down/out the shadowed edges down using the smudge and stamp copy tools. Having customized brushes and a graphic tablet at your disposal help alot. Experiment with opacity and application strength and don't overdo it! Once happy with the result, give it some slight noise and grain love and you're pretty much set. For scratches and stuff, I have a vast library of alpha'd texture layers that I apply where needed.

The only way to make mud/ scratches and rust look real is to blend actual photos of these things onto the texture

Thanks for all the tips and links guys

I will try some of them and see how i go

Edited by vasmkd

Yesterday me and Andy_Tyler had a discussion.

Topic: The possibility of including motorsports vehicles. Simply put: Modeling

the damn Go-Karts.

Although people say race vehicles are not feasable in this game, it has been a lot of fun to race around with friends online.

The texture is not finished yet.

gokart1stpersrace.th.png

gokartbacksided2.th.png

gokartbacksided.th.png

gokartrace.th.png

Race on!

That's vilas vehicle and he is always doing the proper way of normal map - also called the "clean way" - from AO or height map - like on this tutorial > http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/9966

So does crazybump generate bump maps the "wrong way"? (based on that link you provided)

crazybump is good ,but creating normal map from Diffuse map is not that good

Can't vouch for that, at least for soldiers. I bake normals ,

Apply fabric texture and then from that I make normals in pixplant.

Camos are overlaid on the b@w and then distort-displace on the b&w again ..

It works fine on my end , but then again I naturally make pockets lighter than the main uniform.

Can't vouch for that' date=' at least for soldiers. I bake normals ,

Apply fabric texture and then from that I make normals in pixplant.

Camos are overlaid on the b@w and then distort-displace on the b&w again ..

It works fine on my end , but then again I naturally make pockets lighter than the main uniform.[/quote']

I suppose that makes them more realistic though, through wear and tear etc...

Its surprising how much can be learned on here, loads of good information provided by certain people. :)

Yesterday me and Andy_Tyler had a discussion.

Topic: The possibility of including motorsports vehicles. Simply put: Modeling

the damn Go-Karts.

Although people say race vehicles are not feasable in this game, it has been a lot of fun to race around with friends online.

The texture is not finished yet.

Race on!

Preparing my Bananas and Turtle Shells :yay:.

Super Mario Kart Combined Ops? :D

It highly depends on the diffuse though, if you use photographs in 9/10 you will get a good result. Hand drawn textures are not good most of the time because rarely we can follow natural laws of light, so the program gets confused. Also large black colored patches will throw it off and even if they are supposed to be raised, often they will be depressed.

It highly depends on the diffuse though, if you use photographs in 9/10 you will get a good result. Hand drawn textures are not good most of the time because rarely we can follow natural laws of light, so the program gets confused. Also large black colored patches will throw it off and even if they are supposed to be raised, often they will be depressed.

So using photoshop to take a photo of a rust patch and clone it onto the diffuse is the way you would do it?

I think that you would want to do the rust on a separate layer. That way you don't confuse the program too much and can have more flexibility when you're trying to derive a normal map from the texture. You can do a few different normal maps and mix them together if needs be.