Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

Nice NSV! What polycount are you scratching there, and what are you aiming to have the LP version at?

right now 160,000. Gonna be way more in the end

LP will be at ~1000 or so - the allowance I have in the other model that I have to mate this with. But I dont think it will be a problem as the gun is quite blocky IRL.

How did you get the curved edges? Did you chamfered it then turbo smooth or tessellate then turbo smooth? I have a hard time trying to get those edges. It looks great though.

Pffft. Chamfer is so yesterday :p. Now you can use "Swift Loop" (part of the sapphire tools) much more efficiently by looping edges. +MeshSmooth

Looking good Soul

Pffft. Chamfer is so yesterday :p. Now you can use "Swift Loop" (part of the sapphire tools) much more efficiently by looping edges. +MeshSmooth

You can always use double TurboSmooth. One using the smoothing groups, without needing additional geometry to hold edges, then a final turbosmooth on top of the first one.

working on cmd's IOTV. probably gotta fix the color differences though.

http://s1.postimage.org/MX0qr.jpg

edit:

yeah i know about the UCP mags. they're foxmags :sad:

The U.S. Army uses all-black chevrons for their enlisted rank insignia, other than that, looks good. I would prefer a real name on the name tape, but since there is no possible randomization, only the U.S. Army tape looks like the better alternative. Also, the flag is on backwards.

thanks. As for the names, enad didn't really like everyone being called hilgart :p

Is this an island project? Or is it going to be a mission/script for the 31st Normandy Map?

The city is from a brand new island project.

No, it has nothing to do with the 31st Normandy mod.

My bad, I should have mentioned that I only used the units in the video for fun. Allthough, I do think they fit well in the city! :-)

---------- Post added at 05:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

@bracer

Nice city. Is it going to be modern or WW2 time? For modern time it is good, but for a realistic ww2 feel I would remove/change some of the non WW2 time looking objects (some of the high buildings and the street lamps)

Thanks!

No, It's gonna be a modern day city!

But the different areas of the city is gonna have a slightly differnt look, some older areas, new modern areas, docks, villa area, industrial and hopefully a nice airport. So I will try get all the typical districts from a modern town into the map.

Allthough, It's gonna look like there is, or recently has been a war going on in it.

I would prefer a real name on the name tape, but since there is no possible randomization, only the U.S. Army tape looks like the better alternative. Also, the flag is on backwards.

About the flag: I already told him that lol

About the name randomization: Wrong, I think. At least, in my head its doable lol. Would just require Fox to make a lot of pre-determined names haha.

About the flag: I already told him that lol

About the name randomization: Wrong, I think. At least, in my head its doable lol. Would just require Fox to make a lot of pre-determined names haha.

The randomization thing is just too much of a bitch / hassle to do. You could use the setTexture ["BLABLABLA.tga"] whatever that is. I wouldn't even mess with it. It's not even really a "requirement".

Just keep it "US Army." It's good enough.

I don't want every soldier to have the name HILGART.

It would be far more poly efficient if the meshes were separate.

Probably, but it just seems messy to me.

care to elaborate? the way he made it makes more sense since the edgeflows will greatly ease his uv mapping. It will also allow for cleaner AO bake.

I'm liking this.

Also modeling it this way saves time.

But I have to disagree, or am I missing something. It was a severe pain in my ass.

But I have to disagree, or am I missing something. It was a severe pain in my ass.

what did u model it with?

I use O2.

The problem you have is that two people are giving you advice about two different modelling methods. Soul Assassin is talking about baking from a high poly model onto a low poly model. While the others are talking about making a basic mesh. Two totally separate techniques that require totally different approaches.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

The problem you have is that two people are giving you advice about two different modelling methods. Soul Assassin is talking about baking from a high poly model onto a low poly model. While the others are talking about making a basic mesh. Two totally separate techniques that require totally different approaches.

So, would the proper approach be to have them separate meshes? :confused:

So, would the proper approach be to have them separate meshes? :confused:

The approach depends on the tool. If you are using something like 3DSMax or Modo, then make a high and low poly model and bake the high poly details onto the low poly mesh to generate your normal and spec maps etc.

If you are only using O2 then stick with one model and make the mesh as effiecently as possbile for your level of detail. That means the lowest number of verts and faces.

The approach depends on the tool. If you are using something like 3DSMax or Modo, then make a high and low poly model and bake the high poly details onto the low poly mesh to generate your normal and spec maps etc.

If you are only using O2 then stick with one model and make the mesh as effiecently as possbile for your level of detail. That means the lowest number of verts and faces.

Really? :butbut:

I made them separate already. :(

lol Rock I think you confused him a little more :p The discussion was not weither to make two seperate meshes (high and low poly) but to split his mesh in two (refer to the pic) with the two options being:

1. the wall and ceilings is one surface extruded all theway and ribs are modeled on top of that as seperate objects.

2. The wall and ceiling polygons are split at intervals and ribs are extruded, making everything one unified object

lol Rock I think you confused him a little more :p The discussion was not weither to make two seperate meshes (high and low poly) but to split his mesh in two (refer to the pic) with the two options being:

1. the wall and ceilings is one surface extruded all theway and ribs are modeled on top of that as seperate objects.

2. The wall and ceiling polygons are split at intervals and ribs are extruded, making everything one unified object

DOH! I didnt read back far enough. Ignore me i havent slept in 36 hours.

care to elaborate? the way he made it makes more sense since the edgeflows will greatly ease his uv mapping. It will also allow for cleaner AO bake. Also modeling it this way saves time.

Okay, so if he has one box with camfered edges and then some interior spars. Since the hull mesh has to break between spars, and he must have hard edges there, there has to be 4 vertexes for every spar per join. If you want overlapping UV space, all you need to do is subdivide it. How does more edge loops make it easier to unwrap?

To make such a shape either way would be easy. If you're using 3dsmax, you'd just make one interior hull box shape using a box primitive, reversing the normals, deleting the faces you want, giving it the shape you need, then campfering the edges. Then, you select the border edges on the outside, extrude them inwards, then detach them. Then you modify what you need from that shape to create a spar. To make multiple spars, you can just figure out how much space must be between the spars, hold shift and move the spare 1 increment to clone it, then tell it how many to clone and voila.

I don't agree it's easier to UV map. Either way it's pretty easy.

Of course, the model method will be dictated by the tools you use.

For the spars, though, I don't know why you would want them as part of the mesh anyways. With hard edges, they aren't technically part of the same mesh at render time. Each hard edge between two points has 4 vertices.

By keeping the spars seperate, you can unwrap 1 spar and just clone it. If having overlapping UVs messes with your AO bake, you just just grab all of the spars after the first one and move their UVs +1 unit in the U or V direction, then they share the same texture information but are discounted for baking operations.

Edited by Max Power

Glad to know I'm not the only one thoroughly confused by this. :p

So which is better?

Glad to know I'm not the only one thoroughly confused by this. :p

So which is better?

Your approach depends on what style you prefer. ;)

Any way you put it, pro modeling software like Max, Maya, or Blender is way better than O2; they're simply more powerful and make life much easier.

I've stuck with O2 all these years but I'm planning to transition to Blender for all new projects. Despite that my methods will likely remain the same (ie I just generate normal and specular maps out of textures) until I feel comfortable with new concepts.

I've tried Blender, hated it. Too complicated IMO. O2 is simple and does exactly what I tell it to, I like that in a program. Mostly why I adore MS Paint.

Also, content.

Front_new.jpg

Keeping the old cockpit, I like it. One of the few parts I was happy with.

A little more.

front_new_08-23-10.jpg

Comparison

I need to finish several things on the front, the reason it looks thinner in my dropship is because I haven't connected the bottom (And the rest of the cockpit/ front area) to the cargo bay. Where the bottom of the cargo-bay ends is where the bottom of the hull would extend to. Another note is that the landing gear wells aren't present, something I'll add next time I post a screenie. The folding wings are also no where near done, as you can see.

O2 is simple and does exactly what I tell it to, I like that in a program.

Thought the same as you for years ...... but decided I have to move to Blender (and all the learning pain) so I can keep improving. Plus do some simple things that O2 just wont do.

FN M3P - 3ds viewport grabs - click for bigger

m3p_F.jpg

m3p_B.jpg

m3p_C.jpg

Just some floating geometry to be added