Sign in to follow this  
Ruckus

Question on Reducing Grass

I was wondering how to turn off the grass. I wanted to try playing without it until BIS fixes the AI ability to see through cover.

I've tried turning (I think it was Object Detail and Terrain Detail) to Low, but when I play the Close Combat scenario, there doesn't seem to be any change.

Am I adjusting the wrong thing?

Thanks in advance.

Terrain Detail to very doesn't do the trick?

Terrain Detail to very low doesn't do the trick?

Fixed that for you. And yes, terrain detail on very low kills most grass, but some isolated high grass or similar plants still remain.

)rStrangelove;1304640']I believe a mission could enforce to have grass on' date=' couldn't it?[/quote']

Yup. I believe the command is setTerrainGrid. If it is executed on a player machine it can force grass to low,or whatever you set it to. This makes sure all players are on equal terms, unless they are using addons that allow them to modify the terrainGrid setting again.

I have a feeling we'll soon see somebody making a low detail grass addon. Cause i'm not against grass on purpose, but it really lags my game esp when you try to hit something with zoom. It's horrible.

Not sure it's grass, but more certain types of bushes that do that, DrStrangelove. At least it was the case in A1

Weird, I don't get much grass lag in Arma2, even when prone and aiming through grass. (terrain detail on high, object detail on medium). It looks to me like they've optimized the foliage shaders very well this time around. It's buildings that cause most lag now. In large towns like Chernogorsk and Elektrozavodsk the framerate will drop significantly compared to large forests for example.

I wanted to try playing without it until BIS fixes the AI ability to see through cover.

Weird. AIs never see me through grass.

Yup. I believe the command is setTerrainGrid. If it is executed on a player machine it can force grass to low,or whatever you set it to. This makes sure all players are on equal terms, unless they are using addons that allow them to modify the terrainGrid setting again.

Can you just explain a bit more about TerrainGrid command and what settings should be put in? thx

I have a script that changes the grass in MP for ArmA. It works in arma2 as well.

Grass Changer

I have a script that changes the grass in MP for ArmA. It works in arma2 as well.

Grass Changer

Let everyone know if/how it is implemented to be used for a player with they're mp gaming sessions. The info at the site seems to just make a point of it being for mission makers and inputed somewhere as a script.

Full grass needs to be forced in multiplayer. Hands down.

Why?

As long as you have the grass actually turned on (anything above very low) a textured plane will render in places the grass would normally render.

Crap! Grass is still driven by the terraingrid? If the lowest terraingrid still depics enemy floating on top of terrain at a distance making them extremely visible, I have no option than to force grass on. I would in Arma1 too, but the performance hit was simply often too severe.

If grass doesn't hit as bad, I'll let the player choose different amounts of grass, but not fully off.

I remember that the grass in ArmA1 had an extra texture layer, something about specular lighting, that made the grass really slow on most PCs. It was determined by the community that while it does add a small improvement, the justification for this extra information layer wasn't there. From a PC resources perspective and that if ArmA1 had forgone this layer for the grass billboards, grass would be 95% as pretty and oodles faster.

Is this also the case with ArmA2?

There is alot of issues regarding the grass and settings as far as I notice. If you set your terrain grid to say 30 lol you can see most of the distance if not all grass is non existant, local areas though you still get clutter/brush etc. Its annoying it should be on a totaly different switch the foliage and grass..

I was reading a may 2008 blog about LOD issues that they had found and were almost done fixing them up, with them saying that this didnt just affect bushes/trees etc with swapping texture and model issues. The blog stated then that they had just about sorted it all out with some other lod issues..

Now that was may 2008 lol, its now release over year later, and those issues are still pretty much evident when playing. Pretty sad but Im sure it will get some what "fixed" but im more displeased that this was mentioned over a year ago now and apparently almost fixed up back then.. Yeah sure ok hehe..

Grass and trees have no effect on performance for me, the only issue is in any built up area with building LODs being slow, maybe it is much less noticeable with grass / foliage ?

Well you can just stand next to a vehicel and sometimes its still in low dead poly mode. then you look away with alt and mouse and at certain angles the textures and model pops into full res definition again..

That thr0tt is darn annoying.. same goes for the player models.. Its like settings for the gfx are not being held correctly when making alterations and they are getting conflicting ideas or something.

sometimes a complete deletion of the profile and arma cfg works when it resets itself again on detection when starting up. But still that should not have to be done eh.