Sign in to follow this  
Pauldarrington

Tree texture bug

Hi, i dont normally ask for advice becouse usally i try and fix them myself and normally do but on this occasion i am stumped, this issue has only started recently and ive tried changinggfx drivers and differnt gfx settings within arma2 to pinpoint the issue but with no joy and its is quite an annoying bug or issue how ever you want to look at it, basicly this only happens when im standing still not evening holding the mouse everything is fine when moving around just as soon as i stop still and leave it looking at the trees it comes back, but as soon as i move my mouse to look away it vanishes again.

so here is my problem

wierd texture issue

my specs:- intel core2 Q6600 quadcore@2.4ghz

ndvidia 8800 GTS 512

4.00GB DDR3

and Vista 64bit

any advice would be must appreciated

You sure it's not just the morning frost? Anyway, perhaps an overheating issue?

This happens to me too. I thought it might be related to HDR as it only happens when I was looking through the trees towards the sun...

nVidia 9800 GT

Quad 2.5 GHz 64bit Vista SP1

6GB RAM

its not an over heating issue, i could really do with some actull help here and its making me quite annoyed.

Ugh shimmering problems on textures making it look frosted hehe, of late with the way new games are being rendered/HDR types etc I see this quite alot, its not normaly all over a texture like that but what you tend to see is around the edges of the textures like where you would expect AA to hit and deal with it.

Age of conan was my first experience seeing this effect, you would run along and if you look at say trees or bushes (was always these low type models (2d types) then it would jitter a white line/haze that vibrated around the object, until u stop then it vanishes.. lol.

Highly annoying, total immersion killer but seems I dont have a choice of late wether I want that....

Again, optimizations to drivers in conjunction with engine testing/updates is needed across the board and will happen in time. Unfortunatley we are again seeing the horse bolt the stable cause the publishers left the door open to early :D

It looks like you have AF enabled in the CP and disabled within ArmA? I set AF within the CP as it seems to give better IQ but then noticed I was getting the issue you have posted above, setting it to application controlled and setting the AF level within ArmA fixed this for me.

Just to retort, im using card AF and dont get the tree frost effect.. disabled ingame.. The game engine is trying to do too much as it is.

To be honest ive not turned off card AF and left it off ingame... What impact on looks does it show? sometimes ive seen very little in games yet performance can increase.. Think ill go do that now see if it really makes much diff in clarity of the ground and depth of textures much.. Ive seen on the guns like where the nameplate or a bump map is for text that it sticks out more with it on when set ingame, but never saw it do much to surrounding land texture.

Edited by moosenoodles

scottw thank you mate, that did the trick i recently change to crysis.exe and didnt think too check there. good call buddy

when ever your in london ill be sure to buy you a pint. or coke

i actually have only tree tops (1/5 of the tree size) of these trees semi transparent

the visual 'look' is very close to this pic tho it may be bit different issue ...

but i got AMD.ATI :)

Sorry to go off topic a bit here, but what is this crysis.exe people keep talking about in relation to ArmA 2?

Cheers...

Sorry to go off topic a bit here, but what is this crysis.exe people keep talking about in relation to ArmA 2?

Some cards come with default settings for a game and when that exe is ran, the card's configuration will take precedence over any in-game settings. Some have reported that by renaming the ArmA.exe to something like crysis.exe or FarCry.exe or something else, the card's settings will disable/enable the right magical combination alleviating many of these sorts of issues and some have even reporting seeing FPS increases... I haven't done this so can't confirm...

L8r,

eem

scottw thank you mate, that did the trick i recently change to crysis.exe and didnt think too check there. good call buddy

when ever your in london ill be sure to buy you a pint. or coke

No worries I think it might actually be related to renaming the .exe havent tested it yet though, just wanna say awesome job on the way you guys run your server as well, was on there last night most fun ive had so far, TK'ers kicked straight away, pilots shipping the troops continuously was great :)

just wanna say awesome job on the way you guys run your server as well, was on there last night most fun ive had so far, TK'ers kicked straight away, pilots shipping the troops continuously was great :)

thanks buddy, glad you enjoyed yourself we always try and have an admin on the server just incase things go tits up.

Edit:- you were right i continued to have the tree texture issue still so i removed the crysis.exe and went window mode and it works great

Hey,

I've got this issue. I've tried everything suggested in this thread (anisotropic filtering application controlled in CP) and my .exe is the default (I even tried calling it something).

Neither have worked, any advice? This issue is just so annoying and as soon as it is visible it just gets in your way...

I've already tried using the application setting in the nvidia CP, it has always been like that. :S Thanks for your help anyway. (:

Well, it does helped me, are you sure you have removed also arma2.exe from "Program Settings" ?

I also have this white "dot" graphical error.

I have tried changing settings in nVidia Control Panel as in the other post mentioned, as well as the settings that scottw mentioned on the first page of this post. Anyone have anymore ideas.

I had the same christmas tree effect and found that this setting here posted above helped to fix it. :)

Thanks to Pauliesss for the original post

This looks like a fucked up Anti-Aliasing of an alpha texture. Reset everything to Normal, put app controlled AA/AF in control panel.