Sign in to follow this  
Vampire1994

Arma 2 - Female Characters?

There are different reasons why the US military does not assign female soldiers (or airmen, or sailors, or Marines) to frontline combat roles. Are there exceptions? Yes. Just because you're supply, doesn't mean you won't get attacked by insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The reason as to why there are no female soldier models in Arma 2 may be related to work load (2+ times for models/voices/animation, just for female soldiers), or it may be related to BI believing a reason as to why they shouldn't.

And to those members of the female gender, saying that you are being mistreated by not being "represented" in the content of the game, is just as bad as the male idiots spouting off sexist BS. If there was an amazing game out, and the only characters I could play were women, without the choice for playing as a male, it wouldn't stop me from playing that game.

And my 2 cents on the issue at hand: Women; due to American societal norms, hormones, and other things; have a different mental mindset from a man. In frontline combat, commanders are sometimes reliant on the hormone-fueled "You, go over there and do something that may kill you!" "YES SIR!" mentality most often found in men ages 18-26. Have someone who may question that, have that spread, and the mission wouldn't get done, and people would die. Plus, there's still holdovers from ye olde thinking of keeping the women "safe" while the "Men" go out to do the "dirty" work.

If you're still perturbed by the lack of female soldier models in the game, instead of whining about it, go get your hands "dirty" and create some yourself. Do a good enough job of it and others will praise you to no end.

Edited by AJsarge

I guess all you would need would be for someone to create a bunch of animations for holding/shooting/step-over...

Propably not...that would mean they have to create anims for every single model.

I can faintly remember a documentary on US soldier's training and someone said chicks are not on the front to avoid forming relations.

Can they be taught to reverse park and understand the offside rule?

i can has leprechaun soldier pwease ?

j/k, vampire will understand ;)

Can they be taught to reverse park and understand the offside rule?

Haha :bounce3:

Propably not...that would mean they have to create anims for every single model.

But aren't anims based off of skeletons, not models? :?

Seems simple to me, this is a combat simulator and there are no combat roles for females.

Which brings us to our next topic: Don't Ask Don't Tell

Good? Bad? How do you model it?

But aren't anims based off of skeletons, not models? :?

For mods it's no problem to create female soldiers. Yes, standard BIS female animations don't include shooting, but we're talking about civilian animations which wouldn't be used for that purpose anyway.

You don't want your female soldier walking like grandma (the old civilians) or jogging (chernarus sportswoman) nor bouncing with the ... hips (the shortly dressed chernarus women).

So, what's stopping one from using male animations? Nothing. As seen in this addon:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10659

Also, if BIS ever gave access to MLODs you could add the male animations to some female civilians too, maybe not the grandma model, but it's very possible.

Edited by Icewindo

If I remember correctly, Maruk or someone else stated that this is all by design, since they didn't want to kill(?) females (or children for that matter) or play with them in an active role in their games.. or something along these lines.

Ah, here it is:

Q: Will women [...] hold weapons and drive any vehicle and aircrafts in ARMA2:OA?

A: No. Not only it would mean a lot of work without any real purpose but we also prefer not having women involved in combat in our games.

(no idea who said that)

Well, I guess this has to be respected, altought I think it's pretty lame. Sure, it doesn't affect gameplay in any way, but it certainly does limit storytelling and with that the most important part that may transform games into real and valuable art. Not that you couldn't tell a story without shooting or driving womens, but strictly speaking it's a shame to set such rules for art.

I've always seen more in CWC than simply a game. CWC, by which I'm speaking of the campaign, is way more than that. It's art as never seen, or experienced to be more precise, before.

I can understand if a guy like Sion from Dragon Facepalm comes along and proclaims that they can't implement this or that because it's too bad in the real world or whatever moral reasons one could come up with.. for what they do is a gamey game, shooting stuff and having some fun... but it's certainly no art, but more of a mass product, so that's no problem at all, for the game will still be gamey gamey without IDE's or whatever else got cancled due to "political correctness".

Now BIS on the otherhand plays in another league.

Here, the rules of artwork should apply, with all the freedom that art demands.

:292:

Edited by ruebe

While you are all here, kindly vote for this:

Pilot LODs for female civilians, please.

Another note, in OA, female civilians have combat radio dialogue, but no combat capability whatsoever. I find this kind of strange. :confused:

Well, I guess this has to be respected, altought I think it's pretty lame. Sure, it doesn't affect gameplay in any way, but it certainly does limit storytelling and with that the most important part that may transform games into real and valuable art. Not that you couldn't tell a story without shooting or driving womens, but strictly speaking it's a shame to set such rules for art.

Personally, I think it's just laziness on the developer's part. Why create a seperate set of animations and all the things that come with it when you can just do without it? After all, it is their game. ;)

Edited by Laqueesha

or another way:

maybe someone can port all the female civilians from Arma2 and OA under male classes?

I mean change their texture and voice to male characters, so it's a male character skeleton with female looking and voice.

so they can share the ability to drive or fire weapons

Something tells me that the civilian female characters will look like something out of a horror movie with soldier animations.

that new reporter (whatever her name was) from Arma1? lol

Many a nightmare was had. :D

Personally, I think it's just laziness on the developer's part.

You are talking about the game as a whole right?

:rolleyes:

Most army's around the world do not allow women in combat and although some have women soldiers in support roles many do not have them at all, so it would become unbalanced since the team that had women on it would have more of the intelligent players. :D

women soldier models are very much possible, IF are using man class as base, use the same bones etc etc.

Basically all it is needed is a different mesh for the women, and those would work using the same animations A2 currently has for man class.

women soldier models are very much possible, IF are using man class as base, use the same bones etc etc. Basically all it is needed is a different mesh for the women, and those would work using the same animations A2 currently has for man class.

A cheap and quick way is to assign a female head to a male body and assign a female radio voice. That and you're done. ;)

Most army's around the world do not allow women in combat and although some have women soldiers in support roles many do not have them at all, so it would become unbalanced since the team that had women on it would have more of the intelligent players.

I agree. Science has proven that the female members of a species are always the most aggressive. Look at mosquitoes for example. It would be unfair for the male players playing against the female players online because they would get their arses handed to them. :p

A cheap and quick way is to assign a female head to a male body and assign a female radio voice. That and you're done. ;)

i believe they are asking for female soldiers, not transexual soldiers.

lol

well yeah they would look a bit weird with men body's and stuff but still military clothes and equipments are not meant to make women look like women

If you're talking about BIS female heads, it doesn't work that way. These heads are tied to the body model (e.g. old civilian, sportswoman...) and are not seperated like the standard male heads.

If they had done it the other way I'm sure you might have seen more female addons. As creating a realistic head (that doesn't look like a doll) with proper selections etc. is most likely the hardest part. And BIS heads are pretty good, so why reinvent the wheel?

Well, the discussion turned from "why didn't BI do it" (where most answered have been: because most armies around the world does not) to "can it be done" (where the answer is yes, it can)

Quick needed things:

1. new face mesh - same selections, same bones as man soldier

2. new body mesh - same selections, same bones as man soldier

And that's it basically. I am confused to why no one even tried it so far (might be because most units are reskins, or are very much based on the soldier sample model released by BI)

Well, the discussion turned from "why didn't BI do it" (where most answered have been: because most armies around the world does not) to "can it be done" (where the answer is yes, it can)

Quick needed things:

1. new face mesh - same selections, same bones as man soldier

2. new body mesh - same selections, same bones as man soldier

And that's it basically. I am confused to why no one even tried it so far (might be because most units are reskins, or are very much based on the soldier sample model released by BI)

This. QFT.