Sign in to follow this  
Lee82UK

ATi Catalyst 9.6 Download

BIS said these drivers may help performance:

There wil be new drivers from ATI around 10.6. that will fix videomemory fragmentation problem, hope it will help.

Updated: Official drivers available at http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Edited by Lee82UK

They appear to be leaked official drivers (not beta).

Can anyone confirm that this driver works?

If so, are there any noticeable improvements?

Downloading now, but I can't test them until I get home in about 6 hours.

Im not testing them till I hear some solid proof they are for win7 :D, Ive been told now that they are supposed to be heading to combining vista and win7 drivers in one package, but not sure if thats starting with 9.6. You will read at guru now that someone there with a 4770 card I notice said they dont update it shows 9.5...

8 posts from the user though, and a 4770 is not that friendly with drivers either as 9.5's were the only ones that would solidly work for that card of late lol..

Ill hang on see what posts appear about them.. :)

Ive been told now that they are supposed to be heading to combining vista and win7 drivers in one package, but not sure if thats starting with 9.6.

Vista & Windows 7 drivers are unified since Catalyst 9.3

Quote from a guy on Guru3d:

Driver installed fine here (Vista x64), not WHQL signed and if the version number also works as a date then the drivers are from early last month and probably a beta version of 9.6.

No problems with them (Only tested a few titles though.) and the temps are also fine without having to exit a 3D application first.

As for what's different from 9.5 I have no idea, some new fixes for the drivers and CCC perhaps along with improved support for more recent titles I would guess.

(ArmA 2 for example.)

I have downloaded them but can't try them until I get home this evening which is a few hours away. I'll report my findings once I've tried them out.

Looks like we are all trapped at work and can download but not test lol.

Saying that...need the XP ones....

Vista & Windows 7 drivers are unified since Catalyst 9.3

Just thought it was odd as there is a seperate area on amd site to download windows 7 drivers.

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Quote from a guy on Guru3d:

I have downloaded them but can't try them until I get home this evening which is a few hours away. I'll report my findings once I've tried them out.

update

EDIT: Seems to be fixed by removing the -winxp command line parameter, previously used for Crossfire compatability but it doesn't seem to be needed anymore and it didn't BSOD either

Just thought it was odd as there is a seperate area on amd site to download windows 7 drivers.

Yeah, but they are unified, e.g. 9-5_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu.exe

Great, if performance is up and BIS introduces AA and takes the blur down a notch we're all set graphics-wise imo :)

Bah, I installed the XP ones. Performance seems roughly the same. All it did was kill my audio WTH?

I've made some ArmaMark and compared to my last one.

There is no significative performance improvements on Normal settings.

It work a few better in high setting.

The most noticeable is that I can now use the "default" video memory setting without artifacts, and got less textures flickering.

These drivers brings more quality than perfomances.

The main performance improvement will come with the next patch (I hope)

Bah, I installed the XP ones. Performance seems roughly the same. All it did was kill my audio WTH?

Most likely your audio output was set to "ATI HD Audio rear output" - set it back to your usual sound device in the control panel under "sounds and audio devices"

Added 500 to my ArmaMark score, not bad.

When I first got Arma 2 my scores where around 2500-2700

After tweaking around, defragging and what not 3200-3400

Now there sitting pretty at 3900's

8500 oc'ed

vista 64

4 gigs 800

4870 oc'ed

Artifacts still exist, these drivers have not fixed the issue, bad luck. Lets hope the official ones have this supposed fix in them... personally I think they will not.

if someone gets BSOD like me with A2 and these new drivers

details

http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showpost.php?p=1335910767&postcount=17

then please support the cause and post on Rage3D forums about Your experience

(both positives and negatives)

usually AMD.ATI seems 'control' this leak thru one of theirs testers and if no problems are found these drivers are released with WHQL several days later

While I dont seem to get any more FPS with these drivers, Arma 2 does seem alot smoother. Have not had any problems with them so far!

if someone gets BSOD like me with A2 and these new drivers

details

http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showpost.php?p=1335910767&postcount=17

then please support the cause and post on Rage3D forums about Your experience

(both positives and negatives)

usually AMD.ATI seems 'control' this leak thru one of theirs testers and if no problems are found these drivers are released with WHQL several days later

That is what seems to happen but there is also a possibility that rflair just gets hold of them from other sources.

Anyhows, these are broken and do not fix the ArmA2 problem. If it is just driver related then why is it only ArmA2 that is affected ? I mean I can get past the issue as stated before by increasing my AGP Aperture to 512mb but this hugely affects boot time, game exiting and other functions for some reason, PCI-e users do not have this luxury.

That is what seems to happen but there is also a possibility that rflair just gets hold of them from other sources.

Anyhows, these are broken and do not fix the ArmA2 problem. If it is just driver related then why is it only ArmA2 that is affected ? I mean I can get past the issue as stated before by increasing my AGP Aperture to 512mb but this hugely affects boot time, game exiting and other functions for some reason, PCI-e users do not have this luxury.

his postings were sanctioned in past by other AMD testers

and in total this is 3rd or 4th release in this style by him

and considering Rage3D is visited by AMD testers and Catalyst driver team coders on regular basis ...

but that's just my opinion about 'controlled' leaks