Sign in to follow this  
argh9R

Radiosound + Mouse Lag Problem

Silence you.

I feel this lag as a kind of momentum the character gains after you move the weapon around fast. It just goes on a bit further than you'd like to and you can't control your character as smoothly and as sharply as you can in other games and that's a bad thing.

You clearly don't understand this problem. It changes with settings. I, for example, can remove mouse lag by rising viewdistance enough.

yes. definitely hasn't sth. to do with wanted behavior of the game as the mouselag disappears

when we rise viewdistance and by that put more load in the CPU than on the gfx-card...

hope you are wrong...

maybe they leave at least a comment on this.

It was there in OFP, it was there in Arma and it's here in Arma 2. And it's been moaned about since day one I'm sure.

I remember Suma mentioned that Arma 1 used a triple buffering system to negate any frame rate issues caused by v-sync meaning we have to wait a full 3 frames before any input is registered. Just my humble opion but I reckon this is probably the cause since the lag varies considerably with frame rates. The fact that switching v-sync off helps reduce lag reinforces this.

Switching to a double buffering system, like most other games, would surely solve this?

Ok, I will try to sum it up a bit:

It is obvious to me and as long as I dont have seen any video proof of really synced mouse-to-screen movement, I am sure that there is some intertia system modelled into ARMA. And the only way to simulate that is by some sort of forced mouse lag.

But there are different effects.

Normal behavior / as intended by the DEVs

Some (maybe most) users dont recognize it.

Those who see and feel it (incl. me) and dont like it but have to adapt to it.

Those who see and feel it and like it.

Those who dont, think everything is fine and have no clue what we are talking about.

Abnormal behavior

On some machines this inertia effect is really out of proportion, interferes with some hardware/software and makes the game almost unplayable.

Some can reduce the effect (maybe to normal) by editing settings in their video- or mousedriver.

Some dont.

So I think, the only thing people can hope for is, that BIS will bring a fix for those who have the abnormal behavior.

Silence you.

I feel this lag as a kind of momentum the character gains after you move the weapon around fast. It just goes on a bit further than you'd like to and you can't control your character as smoothly and as sharply as you can in other games and that's a bad thing.

Jesus you have got to be kidding me. Some people may experiencing some small smoothing and not used to it. What is happening to me IS A GLITCH. I have been with the series for awhile. It is not the weight of the weapon, it is not the momentum of the character turning, IT IS A FUCKING GLITCH SOME PEOPLE HAVE AND CAN'T GET RID OF no matter how cutting edge their system is.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWoNxc0U7i8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWoNxc0U7i8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Why is that so hard to understand. Weapon weight simulation wouldn't travel over to making driving a car in ArmaII seem like a friday night after the bars

Some people have crisp response

Either it's too laggy or it overshoots wildly.

See you guys in Operation Flashpoint 2.

Jesus you have got to be kidding me. Some people may experiencing some small smoothing and not used to it. What is happening to me IS A GLITCH. I have been with the series for awhile. It is not the weight of the weapon, it is not the momentum of the character turning, IT IS A FUCKING GLITCH SOME PEOPLE HAVE AND CAN'T GET RID OF no matter how cutting edge their system is.

Why is that so hard to understand. Weapon weight simulation wouldn't travel over to making driving a car in ArmaII seem like a friday night after the bars

Some people have crisp response

What is not understandable in my post? I am suffering from this problem too and it's annoying me too.

Either it's too laggy or it overshoots wildly. See you guys in Operation Flashpoint 2.
hey wait, you forgot about Americas Army 3 :)

What is not understandable in my post? I am suffering from this problem too and it's annoying me too.

Ah I get mad at everyone these days. ArmA II is making me an grumpy old man. It will get worse when I get my GTX260 in the mail and experience no performance gain in ArmA :butbut:

What I noticed recently is, that when I use freelook while pressing alt, the lag is even bigger! :eek:

Isn't that contradictory, because if there is an inbuild inertia system, shouldn't I get less lag when I move my head without my arms and a heavy rifle?

Am I the only one with that experience?

Edit:

The mouse becomes really unprecise and much more laggy while in freelook. This has to be a bug.

In fact, in real live I can turn my head from left to right much faster and with more precision than in ARMA2.

Edited by dreamweaver

What I noticed recently is, that when I use freelook while pressing alt, the lag is even bigger! :eek:

Isn't that contradictory, because if there is an inbuild inertia system, shouldn't I get less lag when I move my head without my arms and a heavy rifle?

Am I the only one with that experience?

Edit:

The mouse becomes really unprecise and much more laggy while in freelook. This has to be a bug.

In fact, in real live I can turn my head from left to right much faster and with more precision than in ARMA2.

It is obviously simulating the helmet, along with the fatigue and shock from combat. :j:

Am starting to think some are using old / cheap mouse / pad , with very low speed ( bunny hop drag 3 feet ) combo. Maybe that way they don't see / feel lag or just accept as being a feature of the game.

Here's my rig:

ASUS P6t

Core i7 920 @ 200FSBx19 --> 3800Mhz w/ Noctua i7 cooler

6GB OCZ Platinum PC15000 Memory @ 1800Mhz 8-8-8-24

MSI GTX275 Frozr OC

X-Fi Extreme Music

2 @ WD Black 1TB in RAID0

Windows7 64 Ultimate RC1 build 7100

Mouse is a Logitech MX310 optical @ 800dpi

I play at 1680x1050, everything on very high except FSAA which is at Normal and post processing which is at low (I don't like the fuzz effect)

In MP coop domination I generally get anywhere from 50-90 FPS (vsync off) at the airstrip. I also have acceleration disabled. While getting these frames, I have mouse lag, just as depicted in some videos linked to here. It's really aggravating.

Not sure if this has been posted, but resembles the lag issue exactly as has been shown in Arma II user videos (look at video playing at top right) .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_lag

Simple and to the point. Hope it helps in some way.

@Leachman:

Well, thats exactly the system-configuration where most of the lag seems to appear: Fast CPU, that overflows gfx-card with commands.

Unless i rise my viewdistance to over 8000, so that my CPU can't handle it anymore, my fps degree from 40 to around 20, BUT my lag immediately disappears.

Have a Q9550 @ 3,4 GHz & a HD 4870.

regards.

It is obviously simulating the helmet, along with the fatigue and shock from combat. :j:

Yeah. And maybe the soldier stood to long in some draught and has a stiff neck...

Hey guys,

I joined this forum just to post up that I too am suffering from this problem. I CANNOT believe that this is a "Game Feature". If programmers use delay to simulate anything that is just plain lazy. I find this game completely unplayable and I am not a quake or UR player. I am a combat sim player. I have tried all the things listed here as far as VSync, and rendered frames and all that jazz. But it is bad. I have a smoking system as well so there is NO WAY that it is a pergormance issue for me.

MY RIG:

i7 965 Extreme OC'd to 4.2

ASUS Rampage II Extreme

Dual GTX 280's SSC OC'd

6 Gigs of DDR3 2000

all watercooled and running sweeet.

So... tell me again this is an FPS issue.

Has Anyone from Bohemia even bothered to address this post? I read through 15 pages before I joined so i didnt read the last 6 pages.

Regards,

Brad

Yeah. The situation is getting worse, someone told Iran that there wasn't a solution yet and look what happened.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

In all honesty, the lag is going to be there for a while, so follow every solution on here and minimize the amount of lag as much as possible and you should be sweet til it's fixed, heck, I'm happy with how it is now.

I think they should just give every 1 money back and call this a open beta until they fix there game .

I was able to reduce the mouse lag massively by downloading the ArmA II Patch that adds the SLI Profile. Also I am on a 30" screen thats native resolutioj is 3120X1600. I reduced my res down to 1680X1050- and that also helped a bit. (Even thought I am running 280's overclocked in SLI!!!)

dreamweaver, that's a very cool screen indeed :)

I'm growing to think that someone in BIS actually took a look into this issue, they've discovered that this problem is rooted in some very fundamental assumption in the game engine design, which would require a serious modification with negative implications for other functionalities, and so they decided to pretend that this problem does not exist.

Way to go, Bohemia, way to go! :yay:

I guess, we should all advise other people not to buy this game before they try out the demo to make sure that it actually works properly.

Edited by axure