Sign in to follow this  
argh9R

Radiosound + Mouse Lag Problem

"Enhance pointer precision" checked or unchecked doesn't make a difference for me. :(

"Enhance pointer precision" checked or unchecked doesn't make a difference for me. :(

I haven't changed a thing with any of my systems and have zero mouselag. I've seen in videos what you guys experience and have no clue why some have this and others don't.

It would be nice if BIS could comment on whether there is some kinda of inertia involved in moving the gun around. I know Placebo doesn't experience this and the 4 others I play with also don't experience this and their systems are all widely different because I put them together.

Having the same issue with my game as well as a friend of mine that just got it is having the issue and is annoyed and not really interested in playing the game if that's par for the course.

I played OpFlash and tried Arma1 which is where I first noticed this problem. I have had played with all the aforementioned settings and it is still there and extremely annoying. I so want to love this game but at this point this is a huge sticking point, never mind graphics or game play or potential. It feels as though you are playing in a marshmallow. You'll really notice it if you move from side to side with a weapon. You'll see how it takes a bit of time to reverse directions and after countless shooters and particularily strategy shooters this just isn't acceptable. Please tell me this isn't to simulate inertia or weapon weight as it seems like a bad idea if that's the case. I love everything about this game but that is one major hurdle that will keep me as well as the several friends I convinced to play with me away.

It must be fairly widespread as I have the issue as well as the one friend that already picked up the game on Steam.

I dont want to bitch or saying that your guys problem doesnt exist.

But in the video

i dont see any mouselag.....For me its exactly the same and that feels normal to me,......

Are you guys talking about the gun moving first and then the actual screen? Cause its indeed always been like that, and thats a feature i think.

Even so, i hope you guys get a solution for your problem

Another nice video of the mouse lag. Its clearly visible!

Screen and hand/mouse are obviously out of sync.

---------- Post added at 09:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Well, I do think that BIS programmed some sort of inertia into the aiming system. And there is a point to do that because it is a simulation.

But on the other hand, the only input that we players have is a device that moves, depending on the players choice, around 5cm. So that is definitely not realistic and doesnt simulate the fine tuned motion of a human in real live.

And if you ask me, I think one of the most important things in a military sim is to aim quickly and precise! Because we have only a flat 2D screen that is maybe 40x30cm and some speakers plus an input device that moves a few cm. And these things are already a major disadvantage (to the KI) and are far far from the feedback and input that a real human get and put into in real live. So at least in this point, a computer game, even a simulation, has nothing to do with real live. So my conclusion is, that I would like to have quick and precise aiming, even if it is not realistic.

Why?

Because the input (via mouse) is the only/or most important input I have!

Argh9r

don't worry i know exactly what you're talking about, and i have exactly the same problem.

i installed the demo yesterday and knew immediately something didn't feel right.

i turned everything to low/disabled and immediately saw an improvement in the mouse movement, but it still sucks. im getting about 35-45 fps.

its a very weird gradual slow down/speed up when you move the mouse, even if you're prone and aiming at targets that are close to each other, you still have this stupid lag delay.

its absolutely terrible. and ruined the game.

i remember playing flashpoint and arma 1 and never had the mouse lag problem to this extent.

epic fail from BI studio.

Dreamweavers post is SPOT ON.

Yes, even tho this is a war simulator - WE DONT HAVE THE REAL LIFE INPUTS. We're using a bloody keyboard and mouse. There HAS to be some compromise, some compensation for this, otherwise its simply an annoyance.

If BI studio put this weird lag in to try and simulate the heaviness of a gun, they failed to notice we're using a mouse. to move this heavy gun around - not our own hands, which are quite OBVIOUSLY more fine tuned and easier to control in real life.

because...........our hands are connected. directly to our brains (no usb here).

Edited by hihofoaaaa

I have this problem too and I can confirm it is a mouselag issue, not related to hardware or performance problems.

Actually I'm having motion sickness from playing it, since the entire screen lags related to the actual mouse input. I play every single shooter out there, realistic or arcade, and not a single one have mouselag in this magnitude.

As a customer, I would like to know whether BIS is going to look into this issue, because it renders the game unplayable to me. As you can see, a lot of people have this issue.

And I find particularly annoying some people repeating over and over that they dont have it, like if they want to put the blame on us who have it. I'm sure there is nothing wrong in my end, I'm a game developer myself and if I had something wrong in my end I would've noticed.

Actually, IRL it's MUCH harder to control your weapon than it is with a mouse, even with Arma 2's inertia system, not to mention how overly easy it is to contorl your weapons in games like COD4. The inertia system is nescessary to have a game anywhere near realistic, where people can't just turn 180deg in 0.01sec.

The problem is that the inertia system is totally bugged for a lot of people and doesn't work as intented, as shown in the video.

The people who are saying it is part of the game are not listening and are just assuming everyone is a noob who is not used to ARMA.

I messed around with different graphic settings and found that the mouse acceleration and lag seems to be linked to what FPS I get. This has to be a bug! I shouldnt have to have 100+ fps to have no mouse lag or acceleration!

I dropped everything to low and the aiming and movement was perfect at 100-150 fps. I started bumping the graphics up tho and the mouse acceleration and delay started becoming noticeable even at 60-70 fps. Anything below 50 and it becomes a lot harder to aim for me. At 100 fps I was able to kill enemies at around 400 meters. At 35-45 fps(settings on normal) i had trouble killing enemies that were right in front of me.

My specs are 8400 oc to 3.6, 8800 512 gts oc, 4 gigs ram, and XP. I understand that at low fps its gonna be laggy but I don't understand why the mouse seems to have acceleration and delay when your getting 40-50 fps but dosnt have it at all at 100 fps. Its not a part of the games aiming system if it donst happen at higher fps so stop saying its just how ARMA is meant to be.

another ArmA2 mouse lag video on Youtube:

I've had this too all the time through Arma1 and just after install Arma2 demo, but I've completely uninstalled my display driver (from add-remove programs and delete driver from windows devices menager), installed 186.18, unchecked that "enhance pointer precision" option and ArmA2 runs like a charm now. I dont know how it happend, I cant help you anymore guys :(

They need to fix the freaking mouse lag... This is the worst bug for ANY FPS game; bet they lost tens of thousands of dollars who dl the demo and decided not to buy the game cuz of the mouse lag. Personally I am waiting to see when it gets fixed; love the demo but not paying or playing a full game like this.

Changing maximum pre rendered frames to 1 helped out a lot for me! I can actually aim now.

Wonder what resolution that video ran the game in? fillrate 200% plus full VD clearly that pc cant handle hence the lag. There was still some lag when turning it down, but what resolution?

I run almost the same setup and i have nada lag. Perfect performance and no hassle.

EDIT: Someone on that video commented how he got the lag away: Windows Control Panel - Mouse - Enhanced Mouse Pointer and turn it OFF. Also test turn off Triple Buffering in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

EDIT2: Even though i didnt have problems with this - i tested it myself and DAMN! Now it feels like BF2 lol. Perfect respons. Keeper. ;)

Edited by Alex72

They need to fix the freaking mouse lag... This is the worst bug for ANY FPS game; bet they lost tens of thousands of dollars who dl the demo and decided not to buy the game cuz of the mouse lag. Personally I am waiting to see when it gets fixed; love the demo but not paying or playing a full game like this.
confirm, you are 100% right. BOHEMIA PLEASE FIX THE MOUSE LAG!!!
EDIT: Someone on that video commented how he got the lag away: Windows Control Panel - Mouse - Enhanced Mouse Pointer and turn it OFF. Also test turn off Triple Buffering in the NVIDIA Control Panel

lol that was me :D now I wonder if the lag doesn't depend on display refresh rate, cuz now, after reinstalling nvidia driver to 186.18, my monitor works on enhanced refresh rate (65kHz on previous driver, 75kHz after reinstalling). so maybe that fixed my mouse lag in ArmA2 demo... :386:

Edited by funkee

Another possible fix for mouse lag

4) Moving the mouse has minor delay in land vehicles, and while walking - this is the only game that has this delay and I run crysis, farcry2 and others at 1920x1080 full settings with no frame drop, no lag - smooth is key guys!!!

I've seen this issue with some other people, never noticed it myself, but I think it has to do with mouse DPI (and yes, there's an invisible mouse smoothing too), but I had a similarish thing where my mouse felt very sluggish. I raised the mouse DPI and lowered the ingame sensitivity and it runs like a dream now.

Will try out the suggestions right now.. hope it works.

EDIT:

Nope, Enhanced Mouse Pointer and Triple Buffering are off and I'm still getting mouse lag :-( This sucks.

Edited by data-recovery

It certainly seems related to FPS, since dropping image quality and attaining higher FPS seems to diminish the problem... but at a high cost!

But not only that, I think it is a programming bug... it seems a lag induced by the smoothing method used for the mouse... kinda like the situation described here: http://www.flipcode.com/archives/Smooth_Mouse_Filtering.shtml.

Make sure you force Vsync off in the Nvida/ATI control panel (under 3d settings) as well, that helps the issue. Also try play around with the Maximum pre-rendered frames setting, in most cases setting it to 0 has helped people a lot, but it can cause some issues so if you get problems try setting it to 1 or 2.

It certainly seems related to FPS, since dropping image quality and attaining higher FPS seems to diminish the problem... but at a high cost!

It can't be because at low to high I don't experience the lag, and my friends have close to the minimal settings, also don't experience this.

But not only that, I think it is a programming bug... it seems a lag induced by the smoothing method used for the mouse... kinda like the situation described here: http://www.flipcode.com/archives/Smooth_Mouse_Filtering.shtml.

It could be a combination of hardware and/or settings that pronounces this lag in game. The fact that some experienced the same lag in other games such as crysis and have applied some of the fixes here, have almost eliminated the problem in this and other games.

It's a wierd bug thats for sure and is really hard to pinpoint the exact cause of this.

I updated my OS from Win XP 32bit to Win 7 64 bit, and its exactly the same situation. It had the same mouslag until i forced the nvidia driver to use a pre-render frame of 1.

So its not OS related for sure.

Now i think this problem is just a performance issue for middle end vga cards. (Mine is a 8600GT). The same problem existed for an other friend of mine with a 8600. The strange thing is, that my fps is ok, my card can bear the load.

Its just what the NVida control panel states about the pre-rendering option:

Description:

Maximum pre-rendered frames limits the number of frames the CPU can prepare before the frames are processed by the GPU. Increasing this value can result a smoother gameplay at lower framerates.

Typical usage scenarios:

• Reduce this value if you experience a delay in response to input devices such as mouse, gamepad, or keyboard while playing games
  • This feature only works for games using DirectX

Next week i will get an ATI 4870, and see if that makes a difference. Im sure it will, but i will still report here if it fixes the problem.

Edited by Petko

I wish people would stop posting the pre-rendered frames and Vsync "fixes", most of the people with this problem weren't able to get rid of the lag with these options, myself included.

Well, it worked for me :)

Well, that's when I coupled it with Keygety's noblur mod.

Try loading fraps to check your fps as well just to make sure.

I wish people would stop posting the pre-rendered frames and Vsync "fixes", most of the people with this problem weren't able to get rid of the lag with these options, myself included.

Well most of the people (my estimation from the reports from this and other forums), about 9 from 10 with this issue did manage to mostly fix it with setting the pre-rendered frames to 1.

Well most of the people (my estimation from the reports from this and other forums), about 9 from 10 with this issue did manage to mostly fix it with setting the pre-rendered frames to 1.

I don't think that's the case, a couple of people said it worked, but it hasn't worked for MOST.

Honestly, turn off post processing and see if you still get the same problem. If you don't then use keygety's no blur mod

I don't think that's the case, a couple of people said it worked, but it hasn't worked for MOST.

Did you try this?

I've seen this issue with some other people, never noticed it myself, but I think it has to do with mouse DPI (and yes, there's an invisible mouse smoothing too), but I had a similarish thing where my mouse felt very sluggish. I raised the mouse DPI and lowered the ingame sensitivity and it runs like a dream now