Sign in to follow this  
argh9R

Radiosound + Mouse Lag Problem

I have the same issue in Arma1 (don't have Arma2 yet). It is just as it has been described in this thread: it takes a fraction of a second for the cursor to start moving after I have moved my mouse, and the same when stopping. I tried to reduce the flip queue size in the ATI tray tools, but that didn't solve anything. I know it might be a feature trying to simulate the weight of the gun, the problem is that if I was holding a real gun I would be able to sense its weight and therefore adapt my movements to it. With the mouse I don't have that sense of weight, and therefore it feels very weird, to the point of being annoying (at least for me).

I have heard the advice of reducing the floating area to zero, the problem is that I like playing with that floating area.

I'll try to do some more deep testing at home so I can provide further info for the devs (maybe try to record a video, although I don't have a high quality video recorder...).

Look, when I compare how much time it takes me to shoot at targets in the range, to the time it takes people on youtube to shoot targets at the range or in missions, and compare to how easily I can aim at targets in EVERY other FPS game, then I can say for sure it's definitely a performance-related problem in Arma. And based on this thread, it seems to not be negated completely even by better systems.

The lag I get for mouse movements is VERY clear, ~0.2s reaction time to any change of speed on my mouse. The more I look at it the more I can tell it's not an acceleration issue, but simply a slow reaction issue.

Reducing the floating area to zero makes the mouse lag imo even more noticeable because the whole screen will lag instead of just the weapon/mouse!

Alex[Dev]72, you are right, you can learn to play the game with the mouse lag, i played arma1 for a long time and still do, but the lag still absolutely annoys me!

And if the problem isnt solved in Arma 2, I definitely will not buy it!

I get the mouse lagg sometimes when i turn the settings to high and very high depeding on the amount of units in the mission! and it feels horrible as my gun doesnt turn with the speed of my mouse but when i tone down my gfx settings ingame all runs oki then..

Also just turn the radio volume effects to 0 in the volume menu

On a side note, setting fillrate to 50% greatly improves this issue. So again it's definitely performance-related. Of course the game is then still unplayable because I can't see !@#$.

I have the same issue in Arma1 (don't have Arma2 yet). It is just as it has been described in this thread: it takes a fraction of a second for the cursor to start moving after I have moved my mouse, and the same when stopping. I tried to reduce the flip queue size in the ATI tray tools, but that didn't solve anything. I know it might be a feature trying to simulate the weight of the gun, the problem is that if I was holding a real gun I would be able to sense its weight and therefore adapt my movements to it. With the mouse I don't have that sense of weight, and therefore it feels very weird, to the point of being annoying (at least for me).

I have heard the advice of reducing the floating area to zero, the problem is that I like playing with that floating area.

I'll try to do some more deep testing at home so I can provide further info for the devs (maybe try to record a video, although I don't have a high quality video recorder...).

You are right. They tried to simulate weapon weight, but they did it excessively. We should switch or reduce it via the difficulty edit dialog.

I think it's not so much of doing it excessively, but rather making the effect scale way up the weaker your system is, rather than working the same on all systems. I'm not even sure it's something to simulate weapon weight, though, as it's not really a physical system, but rather just a stupid delay with a bit of acceleration/deceleration on the side.

I think it's not so much of doing it excessively, but rather making the effect scale way up the weaker your system is, rather than working the same on all systems. I'm not even sure it's something to simulate weapon weight, though, as it's not really a physical system, but rather just a stupid delay with a bit of acceleration/deceleration on the side.

I don't have this problem at all on all my systems in both arma and arma2. In fact, there is the same delay I get in R6V1 and 2, GRAW1 and 2, L4D,Killing floor, COD4 on all my systems, ZERO. I get no delay whatsoever, so for me to hear about this delay baffles me. I have sh!tty usb/ps/2 mice and a logitech mx510 and experience no delay.

What type of mice do you use and did you install any programs for it? It seems some experience this and others don't, Placebo counted among the not in relation to his posts here.

I don't have it either, never have.

My mouse had worked perfectly fine with no specific software installed for many years. I have awesome control over my mouse in ALL games of all types and all applications. Only in Arma 2 I can only get get decent control at 50% fillrate, more than that makes it uncontrollable and even with 50% it's a bit laggy.

If you don't have the problem, can you post your system specs, graphic settings and FPS?

I don't believe this.

Believe what you want my friend, but its true and besides, why would I lie? I'm trying to understand and possibly help those with the problem. I'm not here trying to cause problems or belittle those I might think don't have the problem or berate BIS for this lagging mouse that has to do with bad coding etc...

It's too bad you have it, I feel for those of you that do and want to play the game and this is why I'm trying to help.

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

My mouse had worked perfectly fine with no specific software installed for many years. I have awesome control over my mouse in ALL games of all types and all applications. Only in Arma 2 I can only get get decent control at 50% fillrate, more than that makes it uncontrollable and even with 50% it's a bit laggy.

If you don't have the problem, can you post your system specs, graphic settings and FPS?

I will post my other systems specs later when I get a chance. My daily is in my sig now.

Edited by rowdied

Here they are, click on the link. I average around 20-30fps on systems 2-4. My daily is 27-60fps.

syatem44l.th.jpg

Edited by rowdied

Hi. I recorded a small video showing the issue (or game feature...). Sorry for the bad quality, bad at least it somehow shows the mouse delay and inertia. It would be great if the people that claim to have zero mouse delay could confirm that this is not how it works for them.

This is Arma1, as I don't have Arma2 yet, but reading other's post it seems to me that it is the same situation.

Regards.

Hi. I recorded a small video showing the issue (or game feature...). Sorry for the bad quality, bad at least it somehow shows the mouse delay and inertia. It would be great if the people that claim to have zero mouse delay could confirm that this is not how it works for them.

This is Arma1, as I don't have Arma2 yet, but reading other's post it seems to me that it is the same situation.

Regards.

Nope, I don't get that. When I move my mouse, my gun moves at exactly the same time just like R6V2 and GRAW2. Is that a wireless mouse?

It seems some have this and some don't which really sucks. I've played this game on 10 different computers that I've built from scratch with various hardware configs and have never seen this delay. I'm a aloss as to why it happens to some and not to others. I also don't use a wireless mouse because I've had nothing but problems with them from cheap to expensive ones.

Maybe someone from BIS could comment on this.

i have the same problem and im not amused

i just bought the game 2 hours ago (hungarian version) and got the same mouse lagging problem, which is just a part of a second, but its just enough to make in completly unplayable, i cant view around or target anything, because it feels that bad

i have a 8600gt, but it doesnt seem to be a graphic problem, it can handle it, its no fps problem or anything like that... its also not an input problem, because the cursor on the map or menu is ok

i was also thinking about somehow to stop that damn motion blur because that may be causing it, but there is no option for it:(

im so mad at this, that i wont buy any game for a period of 20 years again

Edited by Petko

i have the same problem and im not amused

i just bought the game 2 hours ago (hungarian version) and got the same mouse lagging problem, which is just a part of a second, but its just enough to make in completly unplayable, i cant view around or target anything, because it feels that bad

i have a 8600gt, but it doesnt seem to be a graphic problem, it can handle it, its no fps problem or anything like that... its also not an input problem, because the cursor on the map or menu is ok

i was also thinking about somehow to stop that damn motion blur because that may be causing it, but there is no option for it:(

im so mad at this, that i wont buy any game for a period of 20 years again

Try this, its a fix by kegety for the blur thing

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5851

Also, try turning down the floating zone under game options and see if that helps.

Try this, its a fix by kegety for the blur thing

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5851

Also, try turning down the floating zone under game options and see if that helps.

Thanks i just tried the noblur mod but it does not fix it. I dont use floating zone at all, so its not the problem.

I have the exact same shitty mouse lag that someBoy recorded on youtube:

My conf in more detail: Asus P5KC mb.; Intel E8200; Asus 8600GT; 2g ram; os: win xp sp3 .. latest nvidia 185.85 driver; latest directx

Edited by Petko

I don't have a wireless mouse. It is a USB laser mouse (logitech G9). As Petko pointed out, this only happens in-game (if I press ESC and the option menu pops up, I can move the cursor with no delay at all and no inertia). I actually always thought it was a game feature, but if others report that they don't have this lag, I guess it is some sort of hardware problem.

Actually my hard drive is very fragmented, and I don't even have enough free space to defrag it. Next week I will be getting a new HD, so I will se if that is the cause. I will also try this with the Arma2 demo.

By the way, in that scene there was no AI, just me in Sahrani (preview with editor).

Rest of my hardware:

- AMD Phenom 9850 (2.5GHz)

- ATI 3870 512MB

- Asrock Fulldisplayport

- 2gb ddr2 800 (5 5 5 15) in dual channel

Nice video! You can clearly see the delay!

Question for those who dont have this lag: Do you use an optical or ball mouse?

Regards.

You can be absolutly sure that this has nothing to do with the input device. I use by default a microsoft wireless mouse, but i just tested it with a wired one. And whether it has balls (lol) or a normal or laser led is completely irrelevant.

I think that this may be a win xp error only. Anyone has this problem on vista?

Optical, for all of my mice and some are USB or PS/2 with absolutely no lag.

I also don't use any programs or cursor pointer software for my mice. It's all deafult winxp mice stuff.

i can partially confirm all the things you guys write...

I've been playing OFP since 2001 and OFP itself had, as i remember, not such a problem with the mouse/input processing. It all started with ArmA 1.

When i'm in a forest in Arma 1/2, aiming becomes a little bit sluggish, even if i'm over 30fps. I guess it has nothing to do withing simulating weapon inertia but seems to be more a problem with the engine itselt.

(Thats also the reason why i never played Arma 1 to the end.)

Not to ge me wrong, i support and love the realism Arma2 provides to us. If I wanna play a unrealistic, fast-paced action-game, i play CoD, Half-Life or Unreal...

...BUT BIS should definitely think about adding about an option to "sharpen" the mouse input. It would improve ArmA2-experience so, so much!

I would also find it fine if BIS could comment this...

Best regards

slimSpencer

It wouldn't just improve the experience, it would actually make it playable on my single core 3500+ with 7900GS and 2GB of RAM. Right now I have to lower fillrate to 50% which makes me practically blind (effectively 1287X805 according to conf file), even though with 100% fillrate at 1680X1050 I have reasonable FPS. I tried to reduce my FOV (effectively having my zoom multiplied constantly) in the conf file as well but I still can't spot enemies properly.

There definitely some simulation of inertia going on. Just compare a pistol to a machine gun.

In any case I got used to the lag and have no trouble being deadly. Frankly, I feel it would be bizarre if one day I found it missing. This isn't Quake after all, and it should be played as such.