Sign in to follow this  
walker

Is Berzerk being transfered to ArmA II

Last night i play 0.43 :rolleyes: LINK

Hi, test version 0.43 beta

bug:

- east could not recapture the flag after west captuered it. Happend to me in Stary and Novy (I tryed to leave and re enter the trigger area but I dident made any difference).

suggestion:

- tunguska should have at least 4 rockets not only 2 because all choppers spawn very fast anyway

Hi all

I have added a basic manual for Berzerk! to the BIS Wiki it will do until the official manual comes out.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Basic_Guide_to_Berzerk%21

Berzerk! players can update and improve it.

By the way Berzerk! 0.43 beta is great improvement in terms of balance particularly the movement of the radio tower.

Kind Regards walker

Where is the best place to post bugs/improvements for this mode? have one issue with this mode and that is the text size of the UI used in berserk for choosing weapons etc. its very small and can damage your eyes. i myself have good vision and dont wear glass's so i imagine this will be a nightmare for someone who already has vision constraints.

Snip

Thanks Walker, much appreciated and very helpful, one thing though, this bit

team-play

Berzerk is about team-play. You can actually create and join a squad in game, then use green group channel to mark map and control the squad over VON. A good mix is two AT, an AA, a sniper on a motorbike (pedal bikes would be better) and an AFV.

Ive tried so many times to do this but have never managed to, The recruit button is always greyed/pinked out. Am I doing something wrong ? Are you meant to create a squad first and if so how :S

I love this mission. I put Sobor .45 up on our server. It's set up to cycle it continuously.

If anyone out there is looking for a great connection on the West Coast of the US, our server is located in Reno,NV on a 100mbit connection. The server is a quad core Xeon with 8 gigs of ram. It can handle a lot of people.

-=BERZERK WEST COAST SERVER 31st=- is the name of it.

i dont like this mode, not because of the actual mode itself but because people just piss about in this mode and dont play as a team

The worst thing about playing this in a pub is that people don't seem to realize they need to stay in the small marked area to cap and not the big circle. They also don't realize that as long as a circle is blue/red then blufor/opfor can respawn in it, so sitting somewhere and getting kills is helping nobody, even though it feels like you're playing more "tactically" (=slowly, at least for most people).

A "skip intro" option would be awesome as well ;)

Hi all

As I point out the personal scorboard should be covered. Or better yet zero the kills.

It is not kills that wins wars it is who holds the ground.

Kind Regards walker

Fell free to set up your own public game server where you can run everything the way you like it...

Ive tried so many times to do this but have never managed to, The recruit button is always greyed/pinked out. Am I doing something wrong ? Are you meant to create a squad first and if so how :S

Hi {SAS}Stalker

I just tested and had players from my clan joining.

Perhaps you were on an earlier beta. Version I just played was 0.49.

Kind Regards walker

Is there a real benefit to forming a squad? I mean, nothing actually helps you actually find eachother on the battlefield - that is, before you get killed. The current respawn system in berserk is very chaotic and kinda feels like a COD respawn system, which is one of the things I disliked the most in COD.

In fact the whole game mode is pretty chaotic, would probably be interesting to try a variation that only has 1 captureable point yet only allow respawning at base, but also have the bases somewhat closer to the control point compared to what we have now (about 1/2 the distance would be good if you can always get at least a bike, less would be needed if you sometimes have to walk).

The weapon limitation system can get really annoying. One moment you have your weapon of choice and then a second later you try to respawn but have to re-make your entire loadout because that weapon is not available, then change it again once it becomes available again.

Hi galzohar

All I can say is that members of my clan were working together as a team to protect and capture spawns. I saw several other clans and teams doing the same thing. We had an external medic going round healing people.

Map and GPS

The map shows which zones your side controls; as well as your position and that of friendlies and perhaps depending on difficulty known enemy positions. Zones you control are coloured to your side. Red Zones are OPFOR controlled. Blue Zones are BLUEFOR controlled. Green Zones are neutral. Yellow Zones are contested. To control a zone you need to have majority combat power in the darker inner zone near the flag. The map also shows small yellow squares in the flag zones which are the positions of ammo boxes and red ones which are aid stations. Units on your side are marked with a small arrow, direction denotes direction they are facing. White arrow is you, Green arrows are players on your side, Red arrows are medics on your side. These arrows have the name of the player next to them, this along with the 3D view diamond on members of your squad make it easy to find others. There is also a GPS that comes up with local map info when in 3D view.

From the Wiki page linked below

Weapon loadouts force better game play as you have to work with the mix of weapons. If you cannot work within the limitations of the game play I guess it is hard for you, as to changing loadout it took me 30 seconds to change from RPG and PSO to PSO grenade launcher and smoke grenades, since this is respawn time I think it is correct.

Galzohar; you do know you can respawn at captured points or the MHQ dont you? And that you can spawn a motorbike or other vehicle in the command tent at the Base respawn?

If not I think you need to read this short guide to Berzerk to help you:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Basic_Guide_to_Berzerk%21

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Hi {SAS}Stalker

I just tested and had players from my clan joining.

Perhaps you were on an earlier beta. Version I just played was 0.49.

Kind Regards walker

currently on 0.43 is there anywhere that these updates get hosted or is it case of hunting down a server thats running a new version and then using that ?

Hi {SAS}Stalker

The person to ask is Zaphod since he is the mission author.

But I just go to the DAO server once a day that is where it is being beta tested so in fact I just download it from there; exactly as you say when I join the mission. It also means I am helping contribute to the beta testing. Thus bugs get spotted faster, then dealt with. Zaphod is updating very regularly. The only official release is Sobor but I have played on a few location conversions. They did not play as well as they had not been balanced. I think the official Zaphod versions would be better as he works on the balance quite a lot.

Also there is a lot of metrics that go into assessing game balance and optimization. By playing on the test server Zaphod gets those metrics and can fine tune game play aspects to improve balance as well as spot which scripts are hogging the resources and in what situations.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

yeah was on the DOA server on Sunday, it was 0.43 lol, Things move fast in a few days. Not been on this week though. Ill get one of our chaps to drop on today so I can update our server

Where can I download this?

I didn't say changing loadouts was difficult, just that it was an annoyance. Especially when you have to scroll through multiple weapons that you want just to find out they're all taken (maybe at least remove unavailable weapons from the weapon selection menu)? Anyway it would be nice that once I have a weapon nobody can "take it from me" so I don't have to change a loadout - if I'm "the javelin guy" then I stay "the javelin guy" until I choose to be something else that is not taken. Right now this is not possible, as sometimes I will try to spawn and find out that I have to change loadout because someone somehow picked a javelin and I can no longer pick it. Again it's not a difficulty but it is an annoyance. Just like the intro isn't a difficulty but it is an annoyance.

The reason I say the spawn system is chaotic is exactly because it is - spawning at a base you control spawns you at a random location around that base, often not anywhere near any teammate. If your base is under attack, often you will spawn right into an enemy's sights, making it an easy death, and often you'll spawn with an enemy right in front of you, making it an easy kill. Both situations have little skill nor tactics involved. Alternatively, if there's no fight going on at the base you just spawned at, enemies can die and respawn 5-10 times before you actually make it to the base where the combat is actually at. Overall the respawn system makes it so that it's extremely hard to capture a place that people are actually trying to defend, and the only reason bases actually get captured seems to be that the majority of people simply have no clue how to defend them. While spawning at a friendly base that is not under attack results in a large travel time to one that is under attack, spawning at the base results in even more travel time (yes, even with a vehicle, it's simply too far). The combination of large variation in travel times and randomness of respawns (sometimes spawn behind enemy, sometimes in front, and usually not near friends that are also respawning) makes the respawn system very chaotic. In fact, spawning at a base that is under attack is pretty much the same as spawning in a COD4 team deathmatch game.

What's the real point in having a medic? You can just heal yourself at the tent that is right next to the area you need to guard/capture, no? Not to mention it only takes 15sec to respawn yourself at full health... This is all on defense of course, on offense I don't see how you can have time for coordinating medics considering that you only have 20 seconds (or was it 15?) to capture a zone before the defenders start respawning and stopping you from taking it. This also leads to the problem of zones being too hard to cap when actually defended - if the defense force actually stays in the small capture zone (which unfortunately for them they usually don't because they have no clue what they're doing), then if you kill them from long enough distance they'll simply respawn and kill you before you even make it in there to disable their respawns, so to capture a zone you basically have to kill all defenders 2-3 times. At least on most servers there are very few people actually defending making captures possible, but I wouldn't want a game that relies on people being dumb to work :(

I'm not saying berserk is bad, especially the interface is a pretty awesome piece of work, but it can use quite a lot of tweaking.

Hoestly I'd love to see a berserk version with only 2 main bases and 1 captureable zone, with no respawns allowed in the captureable zone, and somewhat shorter distance between the bases and the zone compared to what we have now so you don't have to drive so much.

Edited by galzohar

Hi galzohar

I prefer the reverse; more zones not less. I have been instant killed (within 5 seconds of spawn) once maybe twice on a full 80 person server, most occasions if I get killed early on say sub 30 seconds, it is because I have chose to spawn in to a contested server to maintain control, and was running to the central capture zone and not moving tactically. That is a tactical decision by me as part of the game play.

All that said this is a beta. Zaphod has reduced the number of zones so it is easier to test at a guess; that is what I would do too. I personally think three zones is a minimum number of zones. Previous Berzerk missions had an average of 5 or 6 zones. Airfield was the most popular and it had six zones.

Larger numbers of respawn points gives you more protection, not less. You get more protection from emergent behaviour then, read some chaos theory. Berzerk also has a strategy element to it; in that what spawn you chose to attack or defend affects the likelihood of maintaining and obtaining control of other spawn points. More capture zones means the complexity of tactical patterns increases thus increasing the fun.

Respawn is part of the para drop psychology; you need to organise it in your brain and your actions. To reduce your instant kills and improve your survivability I suggest you should take second at the respawn dialogue to spot where your buddies are in your chosen respawn zone. Make a plan. First thing you do is find cover inside a building or backed into a corner so you have three arc defilade, or deep in some forest, take a knee, check you GPS for close buddies and join up with them and fill the open arc. Good players will spot what you are doing and trust you full fill your role and conversely you need to trust them. I have to admit it is a lot easier if you are playing with clan buddies or players you know. I will have to write a buddy team wiki entry but good public players recognise the advantages and play in this way anyway.

The ability to join groups makes tactical team play much better. I would like to see the ability to drive the MHQ only being available on Rank of say controlling 6 or more other players.

Kind Regards walker

There are already issues with some games having nobody drive the MHQ at all, so restricting who can drive it can cause some major problems.

As for the random respawns, the fact is it can respawn you inside the FOV of an enemy, at which point there is little you can do (by the time you even look to see where you spawend you're dead). It goes both ways, and you can respawn with an enemy in your FOV and get a free kill. Both aren't a lot of fun. There's no tactic for you to avoid spawning into an enemy and there's no tactic for the enemy to avoid you spawning behind him. This is what "spawn only at base" is supposed to prevent. It's not as much about protection, but more as a mean of focusing the game on combat tactics and less on respawn tactics.

When attacking a zone, and making sure there are no enemies behind me, after killing someone I shouldn't be required to watch all directions looking for where he respawned to kill him again. When attacking/defending a zone I shouldn't have to rush to the small capture area to allow/stop respawns. When I clear an area it needs to stay clear until more enemies arrive by non-magical means (that is, actually walk/drive/fly in rather than appear right next to me). Having that is key to allowing and encouraging proper use of combat tactics (again, combat tactics, the kind you read of in dyslexi's guide, and not respawn/berserk-only tactics).

Having less zones is simply to focus the fighting. If you're going to have a 10 vs 10 battles over 4 different zones that are far away, what's the point in an 80-man server? One zone will actually make it a 40 vs 40 and take full advantage of the game and server capabilities, and will have more opportunity for teams to play together rather than be forced to spread out over multiple zones which is almost as bad as playing on separate servers (though granted, you can hop zones on every respawn but still at any given time you'll only have so many people actually fighting in your zone).

I'd make some missions myself to try my ideas out if I didn't get stuck on very simple scripts that simply don't work.

Hi galzohar

Actualy focussing the fighting is incorrect. You need to spread the battle out otherwise it turns into the old fashioned COD game forms, which is why so many people are leaving COD. Who wants to live in a Shoebox or Corridor Prison?

Gamers want modern open game play as in BIS's OFP ArmA and ArmA II not the old fashioned invisble walls and pogo boots. That is why ArmA II is taking market share from COD. COD servers are declining every week where as the number of ArmA II servers is increasing.

Kind Regards walker