Sign in to follow this  
walker

Is Berzerk being transfered to ArmA II

The problem of the current dedicated server is that it can utilize only round about 1 1/2 - 2 cores.

I guess higher player numbers are possible (depending on the connection) if it would make use of more cores. ...

DAO #3 is an 8-core i7 server ... i want to see all cores work!

hnuKGhAOrr.jpg

I made Screenshot to...

i´m the Admin from DAO Gameserver´s

i hope we will get a pingcheck as soon as possible.

Hi all

I wonder who will set up the big US Berzerk server?

Kind regards walker

It may not hold 128 people (64 limit), but my rented server will always run Berzerk maps exclusively in the auto-rotation. There are other map types (PvP only) on the server, but Berzerk is what I like the best.

Maybe someday I'll get more than 10 people on it. :rolleyes:

I'd be curious to see how it runs, and what settings I'd need to adjust, if it ever becomes busy...

It may not hold 128 people (64 limit), but my rented server will always run Berzerk maps exclusively in the auto-rotation. There are other map types (PvP only) on the server, but Berzerk is what I like the best.

Maybe someday I'll get more than 10 people on it. :rolleyes:

I'd be curious to see how it runs, and what settings I'd need to adjust, if it ever becomes busy...

If u want i can help u to run a stable PvP server.

u can conntact me @ Die-Amokossis.de

Hi brit~XR

The DAO server is a very good one and Zaphod is doing a stirling job on the mission optimisation so it runs very well. :)

Plus there are now several new mission areas I must admit I like Green Hills the best. The large number of capture zones increases the strategic element; so the teams have to work together better. A team with a commander in the MHQ, setting the strategy, always has a better chance.

By the way zaphod I have seen the DAO server running Berzerk full on many occasions. I spent many a half hour playing CTF on other servers waiting for a slot on DAO to open up.

Kind Regards walker

Yeah im sure it is good server to run that good. Also seems to be located at the same data center as mine. Same ip.s Good data center. Been with them for a year on colocation and they even placed my server infront of there new cooling system so im happy :)

DAO #3 is an 8-core i7 server ... i want to see all cores work!

Think we all be waiting a long time for that. Arma 2 uses less then 2cores at the moment :( I have a dual core server i rent with e8400 and 4gb and own a q9950 @ 3.4ghz 8gb ram and they both ran the same on proformance at the moment when it comes to runing warfare 32 slots. fps around 10

Tested berzerk some weeks ago when first released on arma 2 and had around 45fps with 50 players using 2 cores. Nice to see 128 slot mission now anyway :P Just hope they can fix JIP lag in the next patches. Jip lag makes good servers look bad lol

Until you see more hard-working threads being used, you should probably turn off hyperthreading if you hadn't already. To my best understanding if you're running 4 threads or less hyperthreading is definitely hurting you. It's even not very clear if 8 threads are better an with hyperthreading on or off, but people that tested these things seem to point towards "on". However those tests are usually done with threads that each share a roughly equal load, so do not necessarily apply to games where the threads don't necessarily share anywhere near equal load. Anyway definitely try playing/running server with hyperthreading off if you hadn't already.

Hey all,

OK- I suffer from a small problem when playing Bezerk: it's in German and I would like to play it in English. I am an English speaker but I bought the German version of the game when it first came out and patched it to English. I know a few other players who are having the same problem.

Is there anyway to fix this guys? Would love to know...

Cheers :)

Not all strings are translated, but localization strings for 8 languages are included in the mission ...

check your game options ingame for language setting... if not disabled

Edited by Zaphod

Server config is changed...

now:

I7 Hypertransport turned off, increased speed to 3,4 GHZ

we turned Signature check on,

now: 120 Player´s ~10fps Out: 11mbit+ in: 0,8-1,5mbit

the Berzerk Server need 4Gb+ in one hour in and out.

it´s very expensive hardware, if u can, donate some € or Dollar´s for keeping it online,

its not possible to serve it anymore without enough funds.

small Server: 72 slots (i think goes off to the 01.09.09) than we have Berzerk only 2-3 rounds a day to play (watch traffic)

if it´s possible to collect 80€ a month its no problem to set up a Xeon Server (gbit line) 24/7

2x 72 slots and more possible...

Edited by Kochleffel

How do i set the mission to last for 2 hours in my server.cfg?

Galzohar; you do know you can respawn at captured points or the MHQ dont you? And that you can spawn a motorbike or other vehicle in the command tent at the Base respawn?

The more I play berzerk the more I see this is not enough. Especially with the newer berzerk maps. The travel time between one capture zone and another one is simply too big. Having more civilian vehicles laying around may be a nice addition. This does not solve the tactical aspects of this issue, but at least it helps.

Some other issues that I keep seeing repeated:

1. A control point with just a few defenders (2-3) will be very hard to capture if they do nothing but try to defend it (that is, actually do base defense full time, ignoring their own kill count). When you try to attack such a point, you will have to move slow and carefully, trying to pick them off from a long distance, but even if you killed all defenders at the same time, by the time you run 100 meters they will respawn (20 km/h will cover 111m in 20 seconds). When you have to engage them from well outside of the zone (which is several hundred meters away from the center you need to reach to capture). This means you have to kill them at least 4 times in order to capture, meaning you need better than a 4:1 ratio in a zone to capture it if it is properly defended. Of course if you take more than 0 seconds to kill all defenders (once the first one is dead), you will advance even less, needing to kill them more times, and if you take more than 20 seconds you will hardly advance at all as they will respawn too fast. That is also assuming they are not communicating at all, because if they are, after their second or 3rd death they will call for help.

2. Since it takes so long to reach an objective and then you need to be really careful not to die (as dying will mean you need 2-3 minutes of traveling back while the enemy only needs 20 seconds), defenders get bored and start working on their kill scores rather than defending the zone (and some just ignore zones altogether no matter what and work on kills, but that's a different issue).

#2 helps counter #1 to make the current berzerk playable, but I believe the gameplay will be much better, more tactical, and more team-oriented. Not being able to respawn in a zone when there's an enemy in the BIG circle (not the small capture area), combined with faster/shorter travels would imo greatly improve berserk's gameplay.

Currently berzerk seems to be extremely focused on getting as close as possible as fast as possible to the (small) capture zone without fighting anyone, and once you can't move any further due to enemies fight your way in to the capture zone to stop the respawns. IMO the more a gametype revolves around respawn-denial, the less fun and less tactical it is. This issue also plagues AAS which could be fixed easily by making it more like the CF capture style (1 neutral zone in the middle). Respawns should be something to keep the action going, not something the whole game revolves around.

Very good points galzohar - fully agreed.

Distance from base to first zone should always be roughly the distance between

each zone.

during beta phase there is no serious mission development .. all missions are just set up for testing script issues...

that this beta phase is "open testing" now wasn't planned this way ... so just enjoy it "as it is" for now ... i really spend not much time in editor and don't want to update lots of missions during beta.

if you guys have that time to write books into forums or hang out on chernarus all day: ... feel free to send suggestions for your small missions - drawn with editor ... that might be the fastest way to get what you want ... unRap the mission.sqm, modify it you want and send it to zap@get42.com ... i will take a look if that is even possible with the current scripts and/or modify both to work.... i repeat: this is still beta phase!

i played with an old script this weekend, i wrote years ago for parsing data out of log files .... with some little modifications i got it to work with ArmA2 -ranking logs ... very basic as i didn't spent much time on it, but still usable: DAO Server statistics

you can search data by adding search string to URL like "?search=xyz"

Edited by Zaphod

Hi all

Interesting to note people who have played Berzerk on the DAO servers, since they started taking stats, will pass 10,000 this weekend.

Kind Regards walker

Any change log or summary available by chance?

Newest Serverinfo,

we changed some configs in Bios, now the spec´s are

Core I7 920 @3,4GHZ

6Gb OCZ @1800MHZ

the Server restart´s every day @ 8:00 MET

and we have included the stats to our Webpage: Stats

on our site we support you if u have a problem with connecting or some other.

now we are @ beta71:yay:

I wasn't really a fan of Berzerk in ArmA, I gave it a shot in ArmA2 and I really like some of the things you've done with it. Here are some of my initial impressions:

Good:

- Encrypted mission/unique server keeping the playerbase in one place (while I'd love to take a look at how it's made, I understand perfectly why you chose this way)

- Player numbers

- Proper server hardware, good performance, no visible desyncs/issues during my limited playtime

- Reasonably simple and intuitive interface

- Spawn time

- Capture logic (don't know the details, but it seems pretty solid, with large enough areas and messages when zone state changes)

Not so good:

- Server settings in some missions (especially having 3rd person enabled)

- Scoped weapons (I think using only non-scoped or limited scopes would make a much more interesting game)

- No squad system or some other teamwork enforcing method

- No comms (although I'm not sure if the server could handle VoiP with that many players and it wouldn't be feasible to enable it without a new final patch)

Of course, I don't know what's the motivation/purpose of this mission and what you would like to accomplish and you might not share my preferences. Still, I must congratulate you for the great work done and I'm looking forward to seeing what your future plans are. Is there a changelog/manual for the rules of the mission?

Edited by stilpu

- Encryption!?: intention was to pack .. source with comments is 3 times bigger .. more than 1mb.

- Server settings: expert mode setting is == veteran setting - 3rd

- Scoped weapons: that is why they are limited heavily

- No squad system? try this: select member in respawn/ backpack dialog and press the join/recruit button to join or invite.

You can recruit 2 members from startup ... +2 / star

GPS shows the selected group onScreen (like the Medic stuff)

- No comms: VoIP serverside disabled ... server has enough to do .. so other servers can do the VoIP job ...

- there is no official changelog for beta.

Edited by Zaphod

Well, I really think 3rd person shouldn't be available in TvT at all.

Snipers might be limited, but pretty much everyone is sporting an ACOG/PSO in game. Also, is there a punishment for dieing with a sniper, or does the guy who selected it first get to keep it indefinitely? I'd really like to see a kit pool system with delayed spawn instead, ala Project Reality (if you die with the sniper kit, you can't respawn with it anymore and noone in your team can pick it for x minutes).

Same for Jav's, pretty much everyone is sporting one and the only armor surviving for more than 1-2 minutes I've seen was an invisible T72 (annoying ArmA2 bug) sitting at 1km+ and shelling a town.

Tried the squad selection briefly, unfortunately it's quite cumbersome to use and even knowing where to look it took me a bit to join someone. I feel squad joining/creating should be more intuitive and maybe even mandatory (no spawning until you join/create a squad + limited number of squads).

VoiP missing is understandable, at its current stage it would probably crash the server anyway.

beta75

- some buggy localization strings fixed, (italian, russian and polish updated)

- ammunition bug maybe fixed

- equipment re-/selection finnished

- new mission: kozlovka

Edited by Zaphod

If you don't have an ACOG/PSO in chernarus you're pretty much as good as blind. I'm sure if real marines would go into such an area they would totally change their standard issue sight to an ACOG. Especially with the fact you currently can hardly see people standing in the open at ranges above 300m even with max zoom, when IRL you can easily see them at 1000m.

There's a reason people always want the scopes in games, especially this game, while IRL they don't. It's not because IRL the scopes are limited, but because IRL there is actually a good reason to carry a weapon without a scope. In Arma 2 there isn't really, at least no good enough reason.

That's without even going into how poorly non-scoped sights are implemented.

Did you fix the issue where you could pick a certain loadout and get it, then later on make it become unavailable because someone else took it? It was pretty annoying to change loadouts on every respawn.

VOIP:

We Run a second server only for Homepage and VOIP,

we use Mumble, best quality i ever heared (like skype)

zero latency,

very good overlay

most people of us are only speak german, but its no problem to join here if u want voip.

u cant take a look @ our page for more info´s or Download of Mumble.

this weekend i change serversetup,

if u have trouble with server,player´s, missions feel free to take a look on

http://www.DAO.nu