Sign in to follow this  
Yoma

Motion blur, bloom : make them options!

Make enable bloom/blur an option  

492 members have voted

1. 1. Make enable bloom/blur an option

• Don't make it an option, it would be unfair!
    • Make it an option, now i can play without headaches!
    • I don't care

it seems to me that not only blur gives such headaches. certainly, the jetters on the screen when running is horrible. moreover, it`s not real. have someone in real life such trembling when running? I think, not. there are a lot of cases when it`s optional in games.

I agree, been playing/editing/mission making ARMA for years, love the game but this gives me a headache. It's not a matter of FPS or PC power for me got plenty of that, it's about choice.

i agree all this eye candy needs to be options , all explosion effects as well = off low med high.

Edited by diveplane

I think that it's fair for everyone... I mean if you play on a low config PC with the grass off... you'll see the enemy easier, right?

PS: I like the blur idea when running and I wouldn't turn it off, but It should be done different than normal blur... but I can't explain how ^^

I think that it's fair for everyone... I mean if you play on a low config PC with the grass off... you'll see the enemy easier, right?

PS: I like the blur idea when running and I wouldn't turn it off, but It should be done different than normal blur... but I can't explain how ^^

The grass is set by the server not the clients

it seems to me that not only blur gives such headaches. certainly, the jetters on the screen when running is horrible. moreover, it`s not real. have someone in real life such trembling when running? I think, not. there are a lot of cases when it`s optional in games.

Trembling? Head moves? Or you mean the small amount of dragged out effect far out on the sides? (head movement - headbob=can be turned off in options).

The bit dragged out sides i actually dont mind if they are there when running fast. They didnt bother as much as i thaught. And you only see slightly worse in the edges when running fast - as you do in reality. You do see slightly worse when running fast - especially with heavy gear on you. You dont have 100% focus in the periphery when running.

Too bad it would be a FPS thing about some of the effects (1st person look around) as it will get problem online i guess. Servers will have all options forced ON like 1st person only etc and some cant join here and there.

The only thing ive seen now that is bothering me and should bother everyone, even BIS, is the "out of focus/concentration loss" after you been running/doing heavy stuff. I think its great but it does come too fast. Go from prone to standing and you get it. Bit more sway - ok. Concentration problems after you run quite some bit later. More sway first - the slight out of focus effect later.

BIS said they are fixing things in the upcoming patches and i can really understand they didnt have time to fix it all but added in my mind SHIT LOADS of stuff that i never in a million years thaught they would give us. Hat off big time. Now lets keep be constructive and give them pointers and some time to fix things. :)

Alex

If anything, it's unfair that some people can't play the game because of headaches.

Of course it should be optional.

72;1308797']BIS said they are fixing things in the upcoming patches and i can really understand they didnt have time to fix it all but added in my mind SHIT LOADS of stuff that i never in a million years thaught they would give us. Hat off big time. Now lets keep be constructive and give them pointers and some time to fix things. :)

Alex

I too like the overal game very much! Ai is way better, firefights are much more challenging, scary and fun. Impact sounds and several soundeffects (e.g. the "wheels" sound) are the best i ever heard in a game.

The "eating away" of wheels on cars under fire is superb, physics are a lot better then in Arma1 and probably just about what's possible given the scale of the battles. I love this game and I adore it's developers!

I just don't want people ditching it over some slightly illconceived visual effects, hence the poll.

Bloom is okay for me, but the motion blur does make my eyes feel uncomfortable quickly, i like the kegety's no blurA option which removes only the motion blur, but keeps the other good use of blur in the game :)

Hi all, first post, new to Arma not got it yet. Reading this thread and this disscusion about Bloom, blur etc. raised a few quetions about fairness and weather turning blur off would give any real advantage over someone with it on.

Q. Is FOV and or aspect ratio in MP set server side?

If not those with widescreen monitors have a distinct advantage over those without, so my thinking here is that it wont be a level playing field anyway and if the developers are against the optional blur because of fairness then aspect ratio/FOV should also be fixed in MP too.

Anything that induces headaches/sickness should be an option imho.

EDIT:also if it means i can play this game decently on my 8800GTS im 100% for having it an option.

Edited by Minkey

Yeah thats grate, BI listened and sorted it in a matter of days GJ

Only problem now is that I get blurry distant graphics everytime the game loads first - then setting the PP to "LOW" and back to "OFF" fixes it.

This must be a result of the patch changes which made PP optional.

Nice unbiased poll options there I see!

I voted make it an option, because sometimes a little choice is nice, especially for people who's eye's/brain's it hurts.

But I can't get my head around some people though...everyone begs for an ultra realistic sim, and when blur etc is added to model real life people ask for it to be removed. I don't get it.

If you have that motion blur effect in real life, you must be myopic.

I think too they must add more graphic options, and concerning Fsaa and anisotropic filter it would be much better to choose between multiplier and not level of quality.

Edited by dunedain

If for you life looks like ingame motion blur it's because you're myopia.

Nope. 20/20 vision here.

I assume from your comment everything you look at, whether you head is stationary or moving, is in perfect focus at all times? When you are sitting reading this comment now, everything in your peripheral vision is also in perfect focus is it?

The blurring adds realism. Maybe it is slightly overdone, so a slider to lower it (like the head bob) would be welcome to some, but for me it adds greatly to the immersion.

I would love to keep the post proc on high it makes the game look really nice but then you can't see the enemy as easily so I turn it off

I assume from your comment everything you look at, whether you head is stationary or moving, is in perfect focus at all times? When you are sitting reading this comment now, everything in your peripheral vision is also in perfect focus is it?

The game assumes that you look only at the center of the screen. Your eyes already have "blur" surrounding your focus area and since you can look to the sides with your eyes in real life, why should the game even try to "simulate" it? It's completely pointless and impossible to do right.

Perfect IRL analogy:

Looking at a monitor and playing a game with such visual features is like wearing a set of microphone ear protectors with inbuilt EAX environment effects and CMSS-3D. Not only do you have a worse hearing than normal, the sounds are distorted because the phones amplify the effects that you already have.

I think this poll should be closed as of 1.02 it's an option via postprocessing settings.

I would like to thank BIS for listening to their users and for making/maintaining/evolving their great software!

You're doing a great job!:yay:

Good lord, this game is one hideous freeze-fest, i'm only on the third or so mission, and all i'm doing is walking a few steps and then waiting for about 8 seconds while the game locks up, then walking a few more steps and doing the same. My graphics settings aren't even that high, and i have a more or less high-end computer.

Not impressed at all.

Good lord, this game is one hideous freeze-fest, i'm only on the third or so mission, and all i'm doing is walking a few steps and then waiting for about 8 seconds while the game locks up, then walking a few more steps and doing the same. My graphics settings aren't even that high, and i have a more or less high-end computer.

Not impressed at all.

So you resurrect a thread that hasn't been posted in for over a month on a topic that has nothing to do with your problem (nor describing the exact specs you have, ingame settings, or any other relevant material) to tell us this? :icon_slap:

Ah i didn't even look at the date. I guess you'll just have to deal with it huh.