Sign in to follow this  
Fox '09

ArmaHolic ArmA 2 Optimization

How do you suggest to set "3d Performance" in my arma.cfg file? I've the default value: 3D_Performance=100000;...any suggestion about that?

You can try my settup to see if it help. I had different detections sometimes when i deleted

cfg file from 100000, -93750 with older drivers, to -4194304 with ati 10.3 beta driver. I tryed this 3 settups and find my best one -93750 with GPU_DetectedFramesAhead 2...I know its messed up but it helped me a lot.

I say its messed up. Try to delete your cfg file couple times and than start game to see

is there eny different detection. I cant guarantee ideal result with my settup its depends which card are you using. My old card was 4870 and best settup was 1, 1 without touching

3d preformance. To change 3d preformace easly copy and paste some detected value to find your best, if you have 5850 or maybe 5870 try my settup ...good luck !

thank you so much to the original poster. I was getting extremely frustrated with my awful 16-23fps with my 4890.Was very close to putting the game back on the shelf. I kept on thinking to myself is this it? but after doing those tweaks im getting a solid 50-54 fps with most settings on high/very high.The graphics look very nice now.

I presume what I have here is right? Any other tweaks i can do?

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=180000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1280;

Resolution_H=1024;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1280;

Render_H=1024;

FSAA=0;

postFX=2;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1063809024;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

Windowed=0;

Heres my PC info just incase anyone else had the same situation as me.

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

Asus M3N-H/HDMI Motherboard

Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 1TB Hard Drive

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Processor

XFX ATi Radeon 4890 1GB Graphics Card

OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Fatal1ty Edition 8GB Memory

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Sound Card

Did this detection searching helped you? It helped me for moving mouse without lags and its much fluid and cleaner now...

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=2;

Might want to change those 2 values as well to get even better "FPS" AKA feeling of better FPS.

Change both values to "1" and test. Should give faster reaction in mouse wich can make it feel "faster". Detected frames will copy what you have in Nvidia control panel so you can set that to "1" (render frames) as well and test.

If its too fast "stuttery" then change to "3" again but leave max frames ahead in ARMA.CFG to "1".

Play with the values but min-max in the CFG files is 1-4. The value "1000" means its not set at all. Change to "1" for me makes the game quicker in response and thus feels faster.

True I may be expecting too much out of the GTX-260, but the game runs decently until I am in a really grassy area or look at grass or a bush through an ACOG

Set TERRAIN DETAIL to LOW. That usually boosts a lot while keeping some grass.

Edited by Alex72

I know that, but something is wrong with detections and changing them it have effect on game. With change to 1-1 i feel faster mouse, but when running on this settup whole game have skipping frames especially with head bob not just while moving mouse:).In urban erias everything is good, but threes are always problem and with my radeon 5850...

something is wrong with engine and optimization.

Set TERRAIN DETAIL to LOW. That usually boosts a lot while keeping some grass.

Object detail low also helps and still looks fairly good

I have a 5870 and the trees are fine. That is unless there colors ring Orange. Any of the orange vegtation murders my graphics card and it did this with my 4890 as well. On Utes I can run 10 k view, 200 fill and everything maxed but chern I am everything maxed 3 k view and 150 fill.

The map Island Panthera had a ton of those orange trees on it and it ran like a slideshow. I know he released an update so I might give it a go. I find Island duala to be the best balanced map out there. Vegitation plus desert enviornment and the frames stay stable.

Completely agread with you. Buildings are fine, but worst think of all is when using fraps

fps are same on those orange threes like other in game, and moving mouse in those areas make game unplayable. Only that threes and little more ai balancing (i know can be done) for massive battles and this thread can be closed .

Edited by darthmuller_cro

I just read in the beta threads that disabling ht will enable better performance in arma2. can this be confirmed or does HT stand for something else?

HT = HyperThreading

It only applies to PCs with i7 CPUs.

HT is disabled via the BIOS.

cleaned the thread. Hope it is easier to read now!

don't post the image, it's way too big in size and res.. thanks for feedback though

I just got a 4870x2 to replace my 8800GTS (G92). Its all going well so far, but I haven't done any tweaking yet, such as CCC/ATI tray tools settings or config file settings yet. There doesn't seem to be a thread comparable to the "Nvidia owners read here" thread for ATI cards.

Can someone who has an ATI or even a 4870x2 who has already optimized give me a quick overview of what worked for them?

don't post the image, it's way too big in size and res.. thanks for feedback though

Sorry - will edit

Updated the thread a bit. Anything I should add or change?

You can try my settup to see if it help. I had different detections sometimes when i deleted

cfg file from 100000, -93750 with older drivers, to -4194304 with ati 10.3 beta driver. I tryed this 3 settups and find my best one -93750 with GPU_DetectedFramesAhead 2...I know its messed up but it helped me a lot.

I tried changing this on a whim (I have nVidia, though) and setting it to -93750 actually seems to have boosted my FPS by a few...I was getting around 46 in Benchmark 1 with either 100000 or -4194304, and with -93750 I'm getting about 49. This could just be a placebo but it's worth a shot. :cool:

It was a move of a desperate man :) ! I had three different detections but i dont know why? I settled down with -4194304 which is detected every time now... 93750 was seemed less choking but its much better now with few last betas. Suma said in one post that those cfg numbers cant change nothing except our well knowing commands :) ...so one more time placebo is f.....g with my brain :thumbs-up:

i7 930 @ 3.9 GHz

ATI 5870 GDDR3

6GB DDR3 RAM at 16600

please someone tell me what settings to use, not sure?

i7 930 @ 3.9 GHz

ATI 5870 GDDR3

6GB DDR3 RAM at 16600

please someone tell me what settings to use, not sure?

Use cfg preformance which your computer detects, only think that can help you is -exThreads=(0,1,3) and GPU_MaxFramesAhead=0 to 8;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=0 to 3; commands. Find your best! Good luck ;) ...

hey whats -exThreads= do? and the gpu max frames? thanks :)