Sign in to follow this  
Fox '09

ArmaHolic ArmA 2 Optimization

Posted in wrong thread due to login glitch -MODS Delete

Edited by dogz

is it possible to optimize for the arma 2 demo?

Yes you can use optimize or rather attempt to, read this thread thoughout but instead of going to the "ARMA 2" folder go to "Arma 2 Demo"

Good luck mate, hope you get it running fluid!

Yea,I'm having a lot of the same issues. I'm running an i7 core intel with 6 gigs of corsair DDR3 and crossfiring 2 Radeon 4870's and still getting just 35 fps. I've turned down my res ,turn a lot of the setting down,but still,fps just sucks! For godsake,what kind of system do I have to put together to run this thing on high? Do they make that system yet?

Yea,I'm having a lot of the same issues. I'm running an i7 core intel with 6 gigs of corsair DDR3 and crossfiring 2 Radeon 4870's and still getting just 35 fps. I've turned down my res ,turn a lot of the setting down,but still,fps just sucks! For godsake,what kind of system do I have to put together to run this thing on high? Do they make that system yet?

Mate, I dunno if this'll help you but I saw that one guy had 8GB of ram.

He removed 4GB of it and the game actually ran alot better.

If you do give that a try please please please report back with results mate.

It'll help with future advice if we know what works for some and not for others

Also if it's not too much hassle can we have your system specs?

Thanks

Masterfragg

does anyone know what happened to this guide? i wanna read it but it seems i get an error viewing the forum topic for it :S

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

Yes you can use optimize or rather attempt to, read this thread thoughout but instead of going to the "ARMA 2" folder go to "Arma 2 Demo"

Good luck mate, hope you get it running fluid!

hmm i looked at the config but no such options or settings mentioned in the thread. Does'nt contain the settings in the config :S

Textures = v high

Vid mem = v high

Ansi = v high

AA = normal

terrain detail = low

object detail = high

post process = off

.cfg messing HDRquality=16 (clears up that nasty skybanding after removing NVGs)

I've found of all the settings "terrain detail" is by far the most important one for damaging my frame rate. I've been forced to leave that on low and shadows = normal. Post processing effects seem to make the 'lag' worse so I have those disabled. I'm getting 2900 ArmAmarks with these settings and I seem to have established a firm 'floor' on my framerates of 22 fps, not great but it feels fairly smooth and responsive. Textures at vhigh and ansi at v high are 'free' for most modern gfx cards as they impact very little on the actual card performance and as a bonus a good texture on a poor poly always looks better than the reverse situation. I don't play MP so I can't speak to whether my setup would work for that (although having skipped ArmA1 I can't wait to give "flashpoint" a go online).

It's frustrating but I think we're whistling into the wind here at the moment as moving between terrain detail levels produces serious drops in framerate (~20%) without any appreciable image quality boost (more grass doesn't count). What I'd love to see from BIS is a list of LOD variables for the config files so that we could fiddle to achieve the results we want (ie less close detail for more range or vice versa). The severe changes in framerate from changing that single control suggest to me that it's changing a number of variables at once and I'd like to try playing with them individually.

What is the sceneComplexity variable counting, is it objects, textures, # of polys? By default it was set to 1,000,000 on my rig which is far higher than the numbers I see recommended here. What is the nonlocalVRAM variable? Does it represent a disk cache for textures or is it a RAMcache for textures? Is it nothing to do with textures and is instead a generic paging file for the app?

Asus P45 SE/R

4GB @ 400 Mhz

E8600 (3.4 @ 400 Mhz)

evga GTX 260 216 896MB

latest WHQL PhysX disabled (did bugger all that)

Edited by Lalaland
should have re-read my post it was near intelligible

Textures = v high

Vid mem = v high

Ansi = v high

AA = normal

terrain detail = low

object detail = high

post process = off

.cfg messing HDRquality=16 (clears up that nasty skybanding after removing NVGs)

I've found of all the settings "terrain detail" is by far the most important one for damaging my frame rate. I've been forced to leave that on low and shadows = normal. Post processing effects seem to make the 'lag' worse so I have those disabled. I'm getting 2900 ArmAmarks with these settings and I seem to have established a firm 'floor' on my framerates of 22 fps, not great but it feels fairly smooth and responsive. Textures at vhigh and ansi at v high are 'free' for most modern gfx cards as they impact very little on the actual card performance and as a bonus a good texture on a poor poly always looks better than the reverse situation. I don't play MP so I can't speak to whether my setup would work for that (although having skipped ArmA1 I can't wait to give "flashpoint" a go online).

It's frustrating but I think we're whistling into the wind here at the moment as moving between terrain detail levels produces serious drops in framerate (~20%) without any appreciable image quality boost (more grass doesn't count). What I'd love to see from BIS is a list of LOD variables for the config files so that we could fiddle to achieve the results we want (ie less close detail for more range or vice versa). The severe changes in framerate from changing that single control suggest to me that it's changing a number of variables at once and I'd like to try playing with them individually.

What is the sceneComplexity variable counting, is it objects, textures, # of polys? By default it was set to 1,000,000 on my rig which is far higher than the numbers I see recommended here. What is the nonlocalVRAM variable? Does it represent a disk cache for textures or is it a RAMcache for textures? Is it nothing to do with textures and is instead a generic paging file for the app?

Asus P45 SE/R

4GB @ 400 Mhz

E8600 (3.4 @ 400 Mhz)

evga GTX 260 216 896MB

latest WHQL PhysX disabled (did bugger all that)

I got similar specs exept i got my E8600 @ 4,5 GHz

Never dropped below 35 no matter what i did mostly around 52 fps.

I also posted in this thread my I7 with GTX280 is getting 20-30 fps.

So i am playing on the "older" pc.

Thanks Stauff that seems to suggest the game is heavily cpu bound (50% frame gain for a 30% o/c) which implies any framerate gains are likely to be from patches unless there are some .cfg variables we can play with that haven't been published yet. I've noticed that some people have a rake of variables that weren't in my original .cfg and profile so here's hoping there are more out there. Typically I see my framerate at around 40fps so it works in most cases but clearly there is more in this engine waiting to get out

does anyone know what happened to this guide? i wanna read it but it seems i get an error viewing the forum topic for it :S

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

hmm i looked at the config but no such options or settings mentioned in the thread. Does'nt contain the settings in the config :S

Hmmm I'll redownload the demo and check out the settings, We have pretty like-4-life rigs, what FPS are you getting at the moment mate?

Hmmm I'll redownload the demo and check out the settings, We have pretty like-4-life rigs, what FPS are you getting at the moment mate?

18-30 if i have everything maxed on a 1280x1024 Resoultion of 1.2KM, 28-40 if i tone AA and Shadows to Normal. But i was wondering if i could somehow boost up the FPS, ive done alot of things like disk defrag,registry fix, also i run game booster to free up ram. But i wanna try this arma optimization tweak but can't seem so with the demo :S

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

nevermind i found it! was looking at the wrong profile folder lol

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

sweet this tweak gave me an extra 5-8 fps boost! cheers!

18-30 if i have everything maxed on a 1280x1024 Resoultion of 1.2KM, 28-40 if i tone AA and Shadows to Normal. But i was wondering if i could somehow boost up the FPS, ive done alot of things like disk defrag,registry fix, also i run game booster to free up ram. But i wanna try this arma optimization tweak but can't seem so with the demo :S

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

nevermind i found it! was looking at the wrong profile folder lol

Firstly, I'd suggest Disabling any "RAM optimization" programs like Memturbo or Game Booster.

In my experience these types of programs can be detrimental to performance.

Do some testing check it out.

To be honest at the moment 28/40 FPS sounds like a good start what so you're doing something right, try going to msconfig and disabling anything thats unneeded but personally 28/40 FPS sounds like the max until a decent patch.

In other words...I'm stumped!.

I'll think about it though see what I come up with.

Firstly, I'd suggest Disabling any "RAM optimization" programs like Memturbo or Game Booster.

In my experience these types of programs can be detrimental to performance.

Do some testing check it out.

To be honest at the moment 28/40 FPS sounds like a good start what so you're doing something right, try going to msconfig and disabling anything thats unneeded but personally 28/40 FPS sounds like the max until a decent patch.

In other words...I'm stumped!.

I'll think about it though see what I come up with.

Ive been running them and ive had somewhat extra performance improvement because they tend to free up some processing usage on the ram. yea i ran msconfig and disabled every process i didn't need. Now i get 65-75 fps on the Utes Island when i just stand on the runaway and run around lol. But ive noticed through tweaking etc ive gained an extra 15-20 fps boost :)

Ive been running them and ive had somewhat extra performance improvement because they tend to free up some processing usage on the ram. yea i ran msconfig and disabled every process i didn't need. Now i get 65-75 fps on the Utes Island when i just stand on the runaway and run around lol. But ive noticed through tweaking etc ive gained an extra 15-20 fps boost :)

Good to hear mate, enjoy your Arma 2 experience lol

I wish I could bloody enjoy it :p but alas my Phenom II X4 should be here tomorrow...If that doesn't improve things I'm abandoning Arma 2 for good and just giving up sadly.

I'll go play Crysis/Stalker and other games that run better hehe albeit none of them are as great as Arma 2 "could" be

Good to hear mate, enjoy your Arma 2 experience lol

I wish I could bloody enjoy it :p but alas my Phenom II X4 should be here tomorrow...If that doesn't improve things I'm abandoning Arma 2 for good and just giving up sadly.

I'll go play Crysis/Stalker and other games that run better hehe albeit none of them are as great as Arma 2 "could" be

hmm i get 20-25 fps on crysis maxed out but it seems arma 2 runs much better for me :S

hmm i get 20-25 fps on crysis maxed out but it seems arma 2 runs much better for me :S

Consider yourself lucky mate, I do Crysis 100% better than Arma 2 it runs like hell for me.

Question mate, it's been awhile since I used Windows 7 beta RC7000 has it improved any? Thanks

Consider yourself lucky mate, I do Crysis 100% better than Arma 2 it runs like hell for me.

Question mate, it's been awhile since I used Windows 7 beta RC7000 has it improved any? Thanks

i only recently went from XP 32bit SP3 to windows 7 RC7100 , so yes its been a big improvement for me, but no i have'nt tried the earlier versions of windows 7 sorry. Its running very well for me and the only problems ive encountered were maybe 1-2 programs not able to run, especially since im running on a 64 OS

i hurd u are russian, russianguy192....

yes.. and your point is?

I am having the same FPS like you mentioned in one of your previous comments.

In towns I have 18-25, but if I stand somewhere in the woods where there is nothing "important" in front of me then I get 50-60 FPS.

First post. My Specs Q6600 3.0ghz, 8800GTX, 4G Ram, Vista 32.

I ran the benchmark in demo and got 32FPS on med high. The full game ran a lot slower 15-20FPS so I tweaked my config as per Dead3yez post and it runs passable OK at just under 30 (Fraps), not acceptable but playable so far.

My PC runs Crysis OK with the CUUDATS custom config so you'd think ARMA2 shouldn't be much of a stretch, but it is. Here's hoping we get some optimization. I put my $ on those smart modders to get us more FPS.

Thanks Dead3yez

Edited by SgtMjr
misspelled Dead3yes(z)

yes.. and your point is?

Well, your Russian!..

I don't know :yay::yay::party::ill::yay:

Well, your Russian!..

I don't know :yay::yay::party::ill::yay:

yes i am but i do not understand what was the point of saying that?