Sign in to follow this  
Fox '09

ArmaHolic ArmA 2 Optimization

Where do i adjust the Fillrate? I dont have any slide bar for this in my "settings"

I think you do:

- options --> video --> open advanced options

then look right under in screen (forgot what it's named, maybe fill resolution?)

there you can change 2 resolutions.

1st is your screen resolution

2nd is the render resolution (equal or smaller to screen resolution)

How is the 'Fillrate' command called in ArmA 2.cfg since FSAA is related to the Anti-Aliasing?

Thanks a bunch,

Regards,

TB

I think it's called rendering resolution ??? (advanced options at video settings)

hopefully I'm correct and it's helping :-)

Edited by JohnyFrosty

I am still not clear on the VRAM thingy. Isn't it supposed to be in bytes ? I got 1073741824 from autodetection and that divided by 1024^2 gets me 1024MB (which is right).

Either way half of the people in this thread have it completely wrong.

I am still not clear on the VRAM thingy. Isn't it supposed to be in bytes ? I got 1073741824 from autodetection and that divided by 1024^2 gets me 1024MB (which is right).

Either way half of the people in this thread have it completely wrong.

both values are in bites.

And yes, there's a lot of ppl in this thread who have edited those values as if it was in MB. And yes, they are wrong indeed.

HDRPrecision=0

what does this do? Mine was at 8, I changed it to 0 and noticed no difference (made file readonly).

It changes how precise the HDR works. Accepted values are 8/16/32.

How is the 'Fillrate' command called in ArmA 2.cfg since FSAA is related to the Anti-Aliasing?

Render_W= ;

Render_H= ;

Edited by PuFu

I know very little about computers so any help would be much appreciated.

I have a dellxps710 running xp

Gtx8800 756mb

4g ram

Intel quad core 2.4ghz

Creative x-fi

Arma2 runs ok but it can get a little laggy in single player even with normal settings.

Updated everything with lastest drivers & done all the cleans suggested by others.

Is it time for a new card? If so what would you recommend . Will I go sli with the 8800gtx?

Again thanks for the help & any suggestions to make it run smoother.

Oh !running on 1680 x 1050.

I know very little about computers so any help would be much appreciated.

I have a dellxps710 running xp

Gtx8800 756mb

4g ram

Intel quad core 2.4ghz

Creative x-fi

Arma2 runs ok but it can get a little laggy in single player even with normal settings.

Updated everything with lastest drivers & done all the cleans suggested by others.

Is it time for a new card? If so what would you recommend . Will I go sli with the 8800gtx?

Again thanks for the help & any suggestions to make it run smoother.

Oh !running on 1680 x 1050.

Change your resolution 3D and Interface to 1440x900, you will see a marked FPS imrovement and loss of some visual quality. ALL my other games run perfectly on 1680x1050 but this one does not, there is a problem with the game that needs to be fixed, too many performance threads to ignore, it is turning out to be the next GTA4 although that seems to run much better than this !

... ALL my other games run perfectly on 1680x1050 ...

!

what is your Crysis settings at, and frames?

non local is your paging file space, set it below the maximum page file size. Usually around 1500 MB to 2.5 Is ok.

Local is your video card VRAM as far as it seems.

Are you sure non local is the paging file? I'd think non local vram would be virtual video memory. It's often tied to the physical vidio memory on pc's that have video cards built into the motherboards.

would a new graphic card boost my performance? Currently I have the following specs:

Resolution: 1900x1200

Q9450

8800GTS SuperSuperClocked (speed about that of a GTX)

4 Gig RAM

Vista64

I am thinking about getting an ATI HD 4890 card but only if the outcome justifies the investment

I’ve got a nividia 8600 512MB GT-TDH with 2MB ram and a duo E8600 cpu on an XP home. I spent most of the evening trying to get the balance right by farting about with the settings. I patched to 1.02 with no mods. My monitor is an Asus 22".

This is the best game/sim out there and is very enjoyable? Every time I fire my weapon there is a momentarily delay. So tracking a speznaz and shooting him, the delay cuts in and he ends up putting the rounds into me.

What I’m asking the devs and the boffins on here is: what are the best settings I can get with decent visuals with the setup I’ve already got?

And is there any way to get rid of that blur?

Thanks for your help,

Sig

First of all hello to everyone here @ Armaholic!

I would like to contribute my findings to help others here to get their Arma2 running better. I had some serious trouble getting Arma2 to run properly but finally I have found a solution which works for me and the game runs smoothly with everything at their highest settings. I used to get serious lag and texture corruption and the game would slow down to single digits, but here's how I fixed it: First I set v-sync off from the nvidia control panel, secondly I added the -winxp parameter since I have 8 gigs of ram. I modded my arma3.cfg like so: (localVRAM=1073741824; nonlocalVRAM=120000000; ), localVRAM is set like so because my gpu has 1024mb of ram the nonlocalVRAM is set near to the amount that I have set my paging file to. And ofcourse set the Arma2.cfg to read only after making the changes. Now, once I get in the game it still lags like hell, but here comes something that really helped to get my game running smoothly: once I load the game and load a save it lags and textures are corrupted and all that, but then I go to the graphics settings and turn everything to their lowest setting, excluding the resolutions (mine are @ 1680x1050), once everything is set at the lowest settings, the game runs smoothly, then I start to put the values back to the highest settings one by one (textures and video memory last) and the game keeps running just as smoothly as it does with the lowest settings. This is strange, I know but this is the way I got my game running good with great graphics. I also updated my graphics drivers to the latest 186.18 drivers. Also remember to defrag!

My rig btw:

q6600 @ 3000mhz

8 gigs of ram

gtx 285 with 186.18 drivers

Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer

Hope this helps!

(localVRAM=1073741824; nonlocalVRAM=120000000; )

your forgot to mention and important to others that the nonlocalVram is set to less than 1gb due to the fact you have 8gb LocalRam, which lets you almost not bother using a page file.

Some people with half your system ram might just run blindly into cfg and change the values to what you have without really thinking about it. :D

I still don't understand what the nonlocalVRAM setting actually does. Anyone cares to explain?

I still don't understand what the nonlocalVRAM setting actually does. Anyone cares to explain?

I thnk it's like a windows pagefile. Like temporary space for textures. If you don't have gfx card with lot's of mem you should put higher that nonlocalvram setting.

I think you do:

- options --> video --> open advanced options

then look right under in screen (forgot what it's named, maybe fill resolution?)

there you can change 2 resolutions.

1st is your screen resolution

2nd is the render resolution (equal or smaller to screen resolution)

I think it's called rendering resolution ??? (advanced options at video settings)

hopefully I'm correct and it's helping :-)

Nope. Cant see anything for "Fillrate". See picture.

nofillrate.jpg

WTF?

Can you tell us what file this "config" is supposed to be, tell us where to put it, and edit the 1st post accordingly?

Nope. Cant see anything for "Fillrate". See picture.

nofillrate.jpg

WTF?

Fillrate = 3D Resoultion

what is your Crysis settings at, and frames?

All High (XP) V-Sync on 25-40 FPS, no mouse lag, why ?

First of all hello to everyone here @ Armaholic!

I would like to contribute my findings to help others here to get their Arma2 running better. I had some serious trouble getting Arma2 to run properly but finally I have found a solution which works for me and the game runs smoothly with everything at their highest settings. I used to get serious lag and texture corruption and the game would slow down to single digits, but here's how I fixed it: First I set v-sync off from the nvidia control panel, secondly I added the -winxp parameter since I have 8 gigs of ram. I modded my arma3.cfg like so: (localVRAM=1073741824; nonlocalVRAM=120000000; ), localVRAM is set like so because my gpu has 1024mb of ram the nonlocalVRAM is set near to the amount that I have set my paging file to. And ofcourse set the Arma2.cfg to read only after making the changes. Now, once I get in the game it still lags like hell, but here comes something that really helped to get my game running smoothly: once I load the game and load a save it lags and textures are corrupted and all that, but then I go to the graphics settings and turn everything to their lowest setting, excluding the resolutions (mine are @ 1680x1050), once everything is set at the lowest settings, the game runs smoothly, then I start to put the values back to the highest settings one by one (textures and video memory last) and the game keeps running just as smoothly as it does with the lowest settings. This is strange, I know but this is the way I got my game running good with great graphics. I also updated my graphics drivers to the latest 186.18 drivers. Also remember to defrag!

My rig btw:

q6600 @ 3000mhz

8 gigs of ram

gtx 285 with 186.18 drivers

Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer

Hope this helps!

----------------------------------------------------------------

i have nearly the same machine as you. youre running 64bit xp?

i thought that -winxp parameter is useful only for 31bit op system. also "running good" is very subjective term. can you pls try single player mission village sweep with fraps? i have 40-53 fps there and dont need to alw change settings as you describe.

my settings are:

visibility -2538

texture-normal

video-very high

aniso-very high

terrain-low

object-norm

shadow-high

post-disabled

resolution 1600x1200 fillrate(100%)

my config looks like this without tweaking(except aa):

language="German";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1600;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1600;

Render_H=1200;

FSAA=3;

postFX=0;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1059086080;

nonlocalVRAM=527433727;

thank you for your reply

I apologize for the confusion i have caused concerning the use of the VRAM command, thread corrected.

I thought people knew it was in bytes so i just put 896 MB so people would convert it.

May I ask my question once again?

I have a fast CPU (Q9450) and sufficient RAM, would it make a difference to replace my 8800GTS SuperSuperClocked with a HD 4890? (resolution 1900x1200)

I have a fast CPU (Q9450) and sufficient RAM, would it make a difference to replace my 8800GTS SuperSuperClocked with a HD 4890? (resolution 1900x1200)

I don't think anyone will argue against me saying that it would make a HUGE difference.

oh boy! would it ever! Don't even hesitate.

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

What does mean this:

3D_Performance=93750;

..in ArmA2.cfg ?

I am not sure what that is, Maybe a BIS dev' can explain it.

As for now, everybody just needs to toy around with the settings.

3D_Performance="7978";

CPU_Benchmark=7978;

This is taken from my Flashpoint.cfg file, oh yes I still play it :)

Not sure if it's actually the same thing.