Sign in to follow this  
Fox '09

ArmaHolic ArmA 2 Optimization

ive just installed arma 2 ,and my mouse movements are crap is it supposed to be like that ive been playing cod 4&5 dessert combat for years and had no trouble with my set up ive tryed all sorts of calibration,the game looks good apart from that,i have a g5 logitech mouse duo core, 8800 gts card ,4 gig ram so im powerd up ok?

Try setting the pre render frames setting in the nvidia control panel to 1 or 2. This might help with your mouse lag. Also try setting the floating zone in your game options all the way to the left if you haven't.

So where do I paste all of this in?

You don't paste it somewhere, because the lines are already there, you just change the values (and leave away the info in brackets of course)

But basically, all of this can be set in the game options, so there's not really any use to fiddle with the profile file.

Can anyone please explain what the localram and stuff does? Why do I and others have like a 9 didgit number when the first post has it at about 900? That is a HUGE difference? :S How do i work out what it should be or should I leave it be?

Simple really, this whole game is based around the original Flashpoint engine, whilst the concept & game design is brilliant in places they are working with an archaic game engine that belongs in the 1980's.

This was originally designed as a simulator/training software, not a game.

This is Arma 1.5 Final, Not Arma 2.

Therefore untill a new engine is used it will be clunky & awkward.

As i stated before the concept & design from idea to inception is brilliant, shame about the engine.

Zackly.

If you hold your patience a little then you will be surprised by the upcoming improvements that will further come with the incoming patches.

I'm 'so' confident because I have been long enough here to know what I'm talking about.

Just give the DEV some time.

Regards,

TB

So the answer is not bother until they release a game with a new engine?.

:eek:

Unfortunately I'm coming to that conclusion, yes.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

If you hold your patience a little then you will be surprised by the upcoming improvements that will further come with the incoming patches.

I'm 'so' confident because I have been long enough here to know what I'm talking about.

Just give the DEV some time.

Regards,

TB

I'd love for you to be right!

Well with Arma 1 they did eventually release a patch that gave a 100% improvement in performance. Although you'd think they would have learnt from that!!

Hi,

my resolution is 1200x800, settings to normal/low, I have around 30 FPS but the mouse/keyboard seem to be laggy ! It's very difficult to play. My config:

Core Duo 2 2.56 Ghz

nVidia 9600m 512 VRAM drivers 186.03

4 GB RAM

Windows 7

My Armamark score is 2000 :(

Is that "normal" ?

Edit: I think Im not the only one : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74085

Tex

Edited by Tex-Twil

Well with Arma 1 they did eventually release a patch that gave a 100% improvement in performance. Although you'd think they would have learnt from that!!
Unfortunately I doubt that any patch will cure the fundamental problems caused by the ageing (and never reliable from day one) mission scripting system. Unless you just want to play MP deathmatch. But what I'd love is a largely stable SP campaign - and I just don't think it's possible, unless ARMA 2's SP campaign has a major re-write.

Hi,

my resolution is 1200x800, settings to normal/low, I have around 30 FPS but the mouse/keyboard seem to be laggy ! It's very difficult to play. My config:

Core Duo 2 2.56 Ghz

nVidia 9600m 512 VRAM drivers 186.03

4 GB RAM

Windows 7

My Armamark score is 2000 :(

Is that "normal" ?

Edit: I think Im not the only one : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74085

Tex

Mines similar- Quad core 6600, 4 gigs of ram, Vista 32bit, Nvidia 9600GT 512mb with the new drivers.

I get about 2400 Armamarks with everything on Normal, processing on low and res 1680 x1050. I wondered if that seemed low to anyone else?

Saying that the game seems to run OK when I am playing it.

Simple really, this whole game is based around the original Flashpoint engine, whilst the concept & game design is brilliant in places they are working with an archaic game engine that belongs in the 1980's.

This was originally designed as a simulator/training software, not a game.

This is Arma 1.5 Final, Not Arma 2.

Therefore untill a new engine is used it will be clunky & awkward.

As i stated before the concept & design from idea to inception is brilliant, shame about the engine.

Please people stop asserting things you do not know anything about.

Expecially when you talk about game engine, since you do not know anything about game developpement.

Do you think that the game engine is a one piece software library ?

The you are wrong.

This is many part things, as shadowing engine, motion engine, face animation engine, vegetation rendering ...

Open your eyes many of those parts have changed since Ofp and Arma.

Did you know that BIS owne one of the most advanced vegetation generating engine ? (wich is part of Arma 2)

So stop trying to appear more clever that you are. Humility is wellcome

sorry to ask, but I'm very new to Arma2.

Which file are you guys talking about where I can try to tweak my system to get better performance.

My (online) game crashes every 5-10 minutes, so I'm willing to try everything to get my online game going good.

thanks in advance for any help!

sorry to ask, but I'm very new to Arma2.

Which file are you guys talking about where I can try to tweak my system to get better performance.

My (online) game crashes every 5-10 minutes, so I'm willing to try everything to get my online game going good.

thanks in advance for any help!

Hi

YOu can find your config file here:

C:\Users\your name\Documents\ArmA 2

You will see a file named ArmA2.cfg, double click it and open it in notepad.

Hope this helped you

Please people stop asserting things you do not know anything about.

Expecially when you talk about game engine, since you do not know anything about game developpement.

Do you think that the game engine is a one piece software library ?

The you are wrong.

This is many part things, as shadowing engine, motion engine, face animation engine, vegetation rendering ...

Open your eyes many of those parts have changed since Ofp and Arma.

Did you know that BIS owne one of the most advanced vegetation generating engine ? (wich is part of Arma 2)

So stop trying to appear more clever that you are. Humility is wellcome

Parts of the engine are very old and parts are very buggy so his point still stands. You fan boys make me laugh.

:rolleyes:

Hi, I'm really struggling with ArmA II to get a decent setup with regards to acceptable view distance and object/LOD loading.

My Pc is

Q6600 quadcore stock speeds

4Gb Ram

8800GT

Vista 64bit.

I've tried switching allsorts of settings about, my problem isn't one of low fps per se, but one of having objects popping up in near distance, or being able to see terrain further than is populated with objects. Doesn't seem to be any combination of settings which allows me to equalise the two, so the terrain appears populated. I didn't notice this problem so much in OFP or ArmA, in ArmA it was more a problem of LOD switching late on, especially when flying.

Can someone please give me some pointers. I'm not really up to overclocking and not particularly tech savvy with drivers/graphics card settings.

What is best, higher interface lower 3D or lower interface higher 3D ?

What is best, higher interface lower 3D or lower interface higher 3D ?
performance is 3D less than or = to interface. IQ is more 3D.

---------- Post added at 11:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

Hi, I'm really struggling with ArmA II to get a decent setup with regards to acceptable view distance and object/LOD loading.

My Pc is

4Gb Ram

8800GT

Vista 64bit.

I've tried switching allsorts of settings about, my problem isn't one of low fps per se, but one of having objects popping up in near distance, or being able to see terrain further than is populated with objects. Doesn't seem to be any combination of settings which allows me to equalise the two, so the terrain appears populated. I didn't notice this problem so much in OFP or ArmA, in ArmA it was more a problem of LOD switching late on, especially when flying.

Can someone please give me some pointers. I'm not really up to overclocking and not particularly tech savvy with drivers/graphics card settings.

you may have to lower your Display/interface resolution and use 100% or less fill/3Drez.

ouch.... finally succeeded in playing online for more than 5 minutes with help from armaholic finetuning.

so thanks very much to AxF FoX !!!!

have this config

language="German";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=-80000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1600;

Resolution_H=900;

refresh=59;

Render_W=1600;

Render_H=900;

FSAA=0;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=0;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=896;

nonlocalVRAM=1900;

sceneComplexity=160000;

It seems to work super in game (best for me yet). Although MP game crashes to desktop without any visual warning now :-(

Think this config is very good though!!!!

Just have to find some more things in my hard/software tuning to be able to play well online.

Hopefully 1.03 patch will solve this for me too !!!

localVRAM=896;

huh? whats that all about? mine is localVRAM=1068449792. :confused:

HDRPrecision=0

what does this do? Mine was at 8, I changed it to 0 and noticed no difference (made file readonly).

huh? whats that all about? mine is localVRAM=1068449792. :confused:

yep, I got that too. Decided not to question people posting possible solutions and changed my config drastically. (backed up my original .cfg though)

:o

I'm at the point where I'll try anything to be able to play online for more than 10 minutes without crashing....

Edited by JohnyFrosty

How is the 'Fillrate' command called in ArmA 2.cfg since FSAA is related to the Anti-Aliasing?

Thanks a bunch,

Regards,

TB

My Pc is

4Gb Ram

8800GT

Vista 64bit.

I have a thread about this going on here

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75328

just got the game and read through various posts, however I didnt properly identify optimum settings for myself.

Would someone be so kind and advise me what settings should be changed?

language="German";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1200;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=522125312;

nonlocalVRAM=1878257664;

Q9450

8800GTS SuperSuperClocked (performance around that of a GTX and slightly faster)

4 Gig Ram

Vista 64

So far I changed :

-nosplash -world=empty -maxmem=2047