Sign in to follow this  
Leonidus

Question for the ArmA Community

Hey guys.

I'm thinking about buying ArmA, and I am a big fan of OpenWorld Shooters like BF and OperationFP.

I would just like to ask a few things about MP and the community befor I get the game.

1: Is there still a strong playing community in MP

2: I see there is more then one mode for MP, what are they? and is there a mode where its like 50 vs 50 players on a open world map?

3: Is the game strategic in the way that players work together in teams? or is it just another BF2 medic Frag fest?

Thanks for your time reading my thread and I hope to kill'ya on the battlefield if I do get the game. lol :yay:

1: yes

2. There's Co-op, force on force, Warfare (either coop or FoF), CTF...I think there might even be a couple others but coop and Warfare is where the game shines

3. Yes...it is an infantry combat sim, the main focus is on realism and teamwork. Obviously it depends on what server you join and what it's running. If you play with a 32v32 FoF map, it's just going to be run around and shoot/get shot most of the time. But playing Warfare and Coop requires teamwork and tactics. The server I play on has some guys that make missions for the group, so there's a lot of variety.

AY man thanks for the reply. Just another question, I just got Gold Edition so I am downloading it now, what mods are most used within MP? Might as well get them along with the update.

PS Thanks for the info. Good to see it still had a strong MP base:)

It's still very much alive and very much a team play game. In fact the solo missions that come with are best done after you have some experience in the game.

Do the training missions and fiddle with the Armory for a while before trying the solo missions. Also note they don't have to be done in order. I'd do the delivery boy mission before doing the 1st mission on the convoy just to get an ego boost.

ArmA is no run and gun game. The pace is slower and you'll need to count more on tactics than on twitch. Cover and concealment work a lot better than games like BF2, use them a lot!

For mods, you'll see a lot of servers use ACE. It's a hoot.

Congratz for buying a good game Leonidus. Be aware that most servers won't allow any mods or specific mods to be run and will disconnect you instantly giving you a message what modfiles they had a problem with.

So i'd advise you to first find some servers you'd like to play on, connect to them with your original unmodded version of ArmA and then ask / read server messages if and what mods are allowed there. With ACE servers it's the other way around, you should already have the mod installed before connecting. :P

If you can't find answers try to find a website / forum of the ppl that run the server.

So is there any servers in Australian Time frames that have more than 2 people playing now guys?

Last time I was on it was 200 servers with 100 people distrubited between 60 of them.