Sign in to follow this  
CarolCray

"hey you stole my work!"

Some ppl you could give credits on your site for their work in 85 FONT and they will still flood you screaming, "Thief, Take it down now!!!"

Believe it or not this is the attitude of many ppl in the add-on gaming arena. The NFS community is the worst of all at about this. Some of you may already know I've been doing what little I can for the OFP community.... life can tuff without any Oxygen:)

So. I've refocused my efforts for the time being on making SingleMissions and a Campaign (not a MoD) I've been working on. The problem is my missions use alot of YOUR add-on's.

After posting my mission I got a "2 many add-on's, 2 hunt down" type reply. So my question is how do YOU feel about other ppl carring YOUR add-on on their web-site, provided of coarse YOU are given full credit and the original zip's YOU provided for the community are unaltered?

...just trying not step on my own dik.

Not that I have done any addons of my own. But if I had, I quite franky would be rather flattered at having my addons posted all around on peoples sites. As long as due credit is given I really don't see a problem with it.

I haven't released anything for Opf in a loooooooooooooong time, however when the original Opf demo was released people discovered that you could use a hex editor to change weapons and stuff, I had a program that enabled the creation of patches to make hex changes instead of people having to use a hex editor, so I released a bunch of patches for the demo that let people pick what weapon they started with, changed the time of day, changed the weather, changed the tents in the demo mission to empty vehicles for people to play around with etc.

I released readmes giving thanks to Bis, the person who released the initial hex code info, and I also thanked the person who created the program I was using to create the patches.

These patches were hosted by every Opf site there was, 95% credited me with the work and kept the zip files intact (as I'd specifically requested in the readmes) A couple of the sites didn't, they removed my readmes and posted the patches on their sites without giving any credit whatsoever, that really pissed me off, part of the reason I was so pissed was the fact that if people didn't follow the simple instructions then the demo would stop working, then I got people coming into the Opf IRC channel saying stuff like "Placebo you fucking moron you broke my demo", that could have been avoided if certain sites had simply done as I'd asked.

I agree with Placebo.. biggrin.gif

I'm very proud when my H&K addons and the FAMAS are posted on other sites - aslong as they give credit to me..

I haven't made bad experiences with that yet..

But there some things which bug me! For example addon makers of french soldiers asked me if they could use my FAMAS - and i agreed. Now yesterday I've been to desert storms mod site.. and what do i see? French desert soldiers with my FAMAS. Not a single word mentioned yet that the FAMAS is my work.. hope they will change that! wink.gif

The whole point of releasing addons is you want sites to distribute them and for people to enjoy them. Most people just want their addons to be delivered un-modified by the servers that held them. Pretty simple and easy IMO.

btw I still have your patched Placebo biggrin.gif

With my addons, I dont have any problems with it if someone puts up my addons in his website, if he includes all the original files that came with it unmodified. If there is need to modify them somehow (ie. to make them fit in your mission better) then change it so that it wont overwrite the original addon (change the classnames, pboname etc.) and write an readme that tells people what is modified and by who, and preferably who wrote the original addon and possibly where to get it too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Armourdave @ Mar. 07 2002,14:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">btw I still have your patched Placebo biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I lost them all a long time ago *sniff* smile.gif

I also have them smile.gif

And I know that a Finnish site still has them for download smile.gif

LOL really? What's the URL? smile.gif

You couldn't do much with the URL since you have to register to the site.

Well you register for me then send me the details wink.gif

I have alrady but you can't since you would have to be a subscriber for a Finnish games magazine and I doubt it that you are wink.gif

Baaaah that's no good then sad.gif

I just wanted to see my patches on a page, being old we like to look at historical things wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vipersheart @ Mar. 07 2002,15:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've been to desert storms mod site.. and what do i see? French desert soldiers with my FAMAS. Not a single word mentioned yet that the FAMAS is my work.. hope they will change that! wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Don't hold your breath, this has been addressed to Giaky, the Desert Storm Mod leader, his reply is that he doesn't have to, so he won't, and that all the credit should go to BIS, and that credit is 'obvious' (whatever the hell that means).

Thats sick vipersheart, I love your work and seeing it ripped off like that is not good. Sad thing is there is little i see one could do about it short of a lawsuit and well .... thats expensive. I hope this doesnt put you of of making more of these great addons :/

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (timberwolf @ Mar. 06 2002,21:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vipersheart @ Mar. 07 2002,15:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've been to desert storms mod site.. and what do i see? French desert soldiers with my FAMAS. Not a single word mentioned yet that the FAMAS is my work.. hope they will change that! wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Don't hold your breath, this has been addressed to Giaky, the Desert Storm Mod leader, his reply is that he doesn't have to, so he won't, and that all the credit should go to BIS, and that credit is 'obvious' (whatever the hell that means).<span id='postcolor'>

Unbelievable, refusing to give credit where it is due?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Don't hold your breath, this has been addressed to Giaky, the Desert Storm Mod leader, his reply is that he doesn't have to, so he won't, and that all the credit should go to BIS, and that credit is 'obvious' (whatever the hell that means).<span id='postcolor'>

Ouch - i remember, not a long time ago, a thread started

with the same words somewhere in this forum.

Is this the opening of a 2nd frontline?

Anyway - if i would use work, another made, i would give

credits to him. At least, when he is asking for that, there

would be the right time to do this instead of ignoring him.

BIS made money out of their work, addon makers don't

earn money for that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (timberwolf @ Mar. 07 2002,18:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vipersheart @ Mar. 07 2002,15:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've been to desert storms mod site.. and what do i see? French desert soldiers with my FAMAS. Not a single word mentioned yet that the FAMAS is my work.. hope they will change that! wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Don't hold your breath, this has been addressed to Giaky, the Desert Storm Mod leader, his reply is that he doesn't have to, so he won't, and that all the credit should go to BIS, and that credit is 'obvious' (whatever the hell that means).<span id='postcolor'>

Giaky is ripping many things :

desert ofp textures

satchel's sounds

vipersheart famas

Just to get back on topic:

To CaronCray: My personal feelings on what you want to do.

I have made an add-on, I won't say which one because it is under my other identity. wink.gif

When I made it I thought, geez nobody's going to be interested in this, but I sent it to OFPEC anyway. Now I go there and it has over 1000 downloads. I think it's great and I hope it gets used for a lot of missions. It means I didnt waste my time. As far as credit, I don't want my name in big bold letters saying "hey he did this", just as long as I don't someone elses name on it. If you used the add-ons in your missions/campaigns, then you should also be able to distribute them, as long as you don't try to take crediot for making them. smile.gif

Yeah.. I have already seen that in the Desert Storm mod lots of work of other addon makers is used. I still hope they will give credit to those which work they are using! And if they don't want to give credit to us.. well.. we  gonna tell it the community in a nice way wink.gif

Cool thx everyone for the timely replies. Well after a long consideration... and a few bongs.... I've desided the best most respectable thing to do is NOT host other ppl's hard work. But rather supply a direct link to 'said' persons web-site.

This way there will be no chance of ill feeling between either party.

Carol Cray

After reading replies... just imagine what would happen when Oxygen would be freely around.

"Hey you stole my work!"

You want tools, like Oxygen? Than you have to realize, that sometimes people WILL use your work without given you the credit (that you deserve, nobody denies that..).

So, who's actually ready for tools.... like Oxygen...

My humble advise: Stop cutting your own fingers!

Just my 2 cents..

Tusk

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CarolCray @ Mar. 08 2002,12:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Cool thx everyone for the timely replies. Well after a long consideration... and a few bongs.... I've desided the best most respectable thing to do is NOT host other ppl's hard work. But rather supply a direct link to 'said' persons web-site.

This way there will be no chance of ill feeling between either party.

Carol Cray<span id='postcolor'>

please dont !

i think i speak for a lot of others when i say ... host them.

it will be like that :

me , average joe bloke comes to a website to download a campaign hopeing it is a good one wink.gif ... just to find out that i need addons and whatever and i am provided with heaps of download links that leave the acctual site. at least 40% will be down if you follow it and you might come to a point where you say , well , would have been nice but .. na cant be bothered.

so whats the solution ? well, in most cases you could email the addon maker and get a 'go ahead' in the rest of cases , give credit and dont tamper with the addons . if you compile a big zip with campaign and addons and you dont have the ok from one of the addon makers just state that in the readme. put links and names in it and you should be fine . really , i think if you do the obvious everyone would be alright with it ...

or am i totally wrong ?

i just see it from the enduser convinience (sp?) point of view biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tusk @ Mar. 09 2002,02:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After reading replies... just imagine what would happen when Oxygen would be freely around.

"Hey you stole my work!"

You want tools, like Oxygen? Than you have to realize, that sometimes people WILL use your work without given you the credit (that you deserve, nobody denies that..).

So, who's actually ready for tools.... like Oxygen...

My humble advise: Stop cutting your own fingers!

Just my 2 cents..

Tusk<span id='postcolor'>

eventhough i m fairly new to the whole ofp thingy i seem to have understood that without programs and insight into the acctual code there wont be a MOD scene as it is for halflife. while the potential is there people get rilled up in discussions about whether it should be released or not.

like someone said before , if credit is not given where it is due it will backlash on the one who released something without propper mentioning of origin.

the people who play and download mods normally are reading forums ... so , i d rather have some flamewars between modmakers and a variaty of modifications to choose from then a bitching and whinging group of players and no other option than going back to the single player missions.

Vipersheart,

I too was pissed off at the audacity of Giaky for not giving credit where due. mad.gif

It's time to "out" the bastard!

Plagiarism is my greatest pet hate of all time. Having had my own website "strip mined" and then regurgitated, albeit poorly, by some other wanker, I know how you feel!

JV44