Sign in to follow this  
LeadCommando65

nvidia driver issue?

Hi,

I bought arma2 last week. I was very impressed by the good performance on my pc (~25 fps woods, up to 40 fps open range).

2 days ago I updated the drivers for my nvidia graphics card due to another problem I had with some programs. Now I have v185.85, last one was v178.xx. Playing arma2 after that gave me really bad slow downs (~10-15 fps), when looking at many bushes/trees which overlap. It's unplayble in those sceneries :(.

I don't think it's my pc:

Core2Duo E8400

Asus P5Q-E

4GB DDR2 800

GeForce 8800GT

Windows Vista x64

So, I think it's just the driver. Can anyone confirm this lacks? All I read about were heavy issues with ATI cards, no word about nvidia.

Edited by LeadCommando65
updated pc specs

LC,

I am running a similar system to yours in almost every detail. My driver version however is 181.72, I've heard 182 major works as well. There have been several users having issues with the latest nvidia drivers, but not too many are making noise.

Additionally I've found users with core i7/GTX295 are having more serious issues such as constant CTDs, so no, you're not the only nVidia user in the world with issues in A2 :)

EDIT: I suggest rolling your drivers back incrementally if this performance is a major concern.

Cheers,

Jamie.

Edited by jamie_c
Lacked potential solution to customer issue.

Hey Jamie,

thanks for your lightspeed-fast answer :)

Seems arma2 needs also a lost more performance fixes, if it is so much depending on the driver you use (especially running bad on newer ones...).

Hm, I'll try switching back to the older version of a nvidia driver. Hopefully I can find the right one which fits to all my programs.

yea, 185.xx and higher drivers sux....

e: when u want test the 182.50 this should be good

LC,

Keep in mind that I'm running Win 7 Beta (really can't be bothered transitioning to the RC). Your results may vary, but as you said it's finding a balance, right now for me I balance between A2 and VBS2 as VBS2 brings the money in, A2 brings the fun.

If you find a good driver, wouldn't hurt to post the results here to help others mate, just a suggestion, and post what OS you're using too!

Cheers,

Jamie.

Hi,

I'm running on Vista x64 (but waiting for Win7 final ;) ). Now I've installed v181.22 of the nvidia drivers. Arma2 runs better now, but really needs more improvements about that vegetation thing. Thank you :).

I remember that there was this bad performance about vegetation in arma1, too, but they patched it out.