=Spetsnaz=

ArmA II Photography I: Questions. Comments & Discussion

Mondkalb: Haha, looks like fun. Looking forward to it too.

@feint Great shots and shopping.

Edited by sparks50

How do ppl get these high res pics, are you using a thrid party software or is something ingame that allows for this, I see ppl posting images they say are rendered at 200%, how are they doing this, thanks for the info guys.

Feint: Those are absolutely epic, some really do look like the real thing.

How do ppl get these high res pics, are you using a thrid party software or is something ingame that allows for this, I see ppl posting images they say are rendered at 200%, how are they doing this, thanks for the info guys.

Nothing magic about it, just set the 3D resolution to 200% in the video options. This way the whole game will be rendered at a very large resolution your display won't display naturally. Everything ends up sharper and more crispy.

You don't need a super pc for that since you're taking only screenshots anyway. And fps can't be seen at screens :p .

Also see:

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,684782/GTA-4-Higher-visual-quality-with-Downsampling/News/

Hey Feint!.... Great Screens!... Do you have Pic 1&2 in bigger Resolution. It would be great as a wallpaper or a Loading...screen :D

Hi, yes. I woke up this morning to 6 PM's. Haha. OK, you can download 1920x1200 and other sizes directly from my Flickr site.

I set up a new collection called "screenshots". I'll put all future stuff in there:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonhillenbrand/collections/72157624528645036/

Thanks for the kind feedback. Some of you were asking about my techniques and specs. There's info on the Flickr site, but I'll republish some of it here:

HIDING:

Screenshots from Armed Assault: Operation Arrowhead (Combined Ops)

This set was shot in Takistan (can't remember where) with the character Graves (light) using RobertHammer's MK18 addon. The rifle is actually the Mk14.

Most shots were taken at 200% resolution and edited in Lightroom.

System Specs:

-Intel Core i7 960 3.2 GHz

-6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 MHz

-PNY GTX 480 video card

-Asus P6X58D Premium

-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

SNIPER:

This set was shot in Takistan near the Par-e Siah Oilfields with the character US Special Forces Operator (Assault) using the L115A3 by P:UKF Team, designed by OOPz.

BINOCULARS:

This set was shot in Takistan near the Par-e Siah Oilfields with the character US Special Forces Operator (Assault) using RobertHammer's MK18 addon. The rifle is actually the Mk18. Edited the shots in Lightroom. Shot them at 200% resolution. The binoculars are amazing with a cool grid pattern on the front of the lenses. Never noticed that before, probably because I was always looking through them.

COMBAT FREEFALL:

This set was shot in Takistan near the Loy Manara airfield with the character US Special Forces Operator (Assault) in stock BIS configuration (no addons). There's a great video on YouTube about how to set up freefall with you and AI buddies. It's kind of hit or miss getting them all to follow you out and then catch up with you, (or for you to catch up with them). They don't seem to want to jump out of the plane unless you jump out first because they are chicken. But in a nutshell, here's what I did:

1. Set up C130 Static (Empty>Objects (Military) at 5000 meters (it doesn't move once up there)
  2. Create 5 units and name them something like man01, man02, etc. or whatever you can remember.
  3. Insert player and team into the cargo hold by getting the position of the C130 and adding 1 meter of height to myself and my team (5001). We all spawn at the same location in the cargo hold, but we spread out OK and don't fall out through the walls. Limit is about 5 total bodies. 6 or more and you tend to spawn into the air above the plane. Grrr.
  4. Set up triggers outside the plane ramp so your units will fall into them. Make sure to set a separate trigger for each unit (not 1 trigger for everyone)
  5. In the trigger, set it to Vehicle, and in the init field, write, "[man01] exec "ca\air2\halo\data\Scripts\Halo_init.sqs".
  6. Group the trigger with the unit named man01, reopen the trigger and set it to vehicle (default setting by the way)
  7. Do this for each unit, renaming the init field text for each unit's name
  8. Preview the mission, open the ramp door, set your team to Column (compact), tell them to get back into formation, and run off the back of the ramp

If all goes well, the other units will follow you and when they hit their custom triggers, they will enter freefall with you. Don't worry about commanding them to pull their rip cords. They do OK on their own.

Once in freefall, if everyone is scattered around, try telling your group to get back into formation. They will try to move toward you, but they aren't very good at it.

Alternatively, you can try to get everyone to enter freefall as soon as the mission starts. This will keep all of you in a much tighter formation all facing the same direction. As soon as you move, they will all scatter to the four corners of the world though, so I recommend setting time to 0.001 or something very slow, right before you move in order to get your screenshots. If you do this method, you'll still need to make separate triggers for everyone. I tried doing it with one trigger and it didn't work. Units ended up instantly on the ground and stuff.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

@feint Great shots and shopping.

Thanks a lot! :) Used Lightroom 3 to edit some of them.

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Feint: Those are absolutely epic, some really do look like the real thing.

Appreciate the kind feedback. I just found some really good light in the HIDING screenshots. I'm a photographer, so I'm always looking for good light.

Edited by Feint

What is the best way to get screen shot while in the game??

Imo, best way to take screenshots is to use Fraps.

I agree. Since Arma2 doesn't support taking screenshots with anything built into the game, I'd use Fraps too. I tried to use the Snipping Tool built into Windows 7, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to always be on top.

The registered version of Fraps is better than the freeware version and I bought it once and have gotten all of the updates including a new full version for free ever since. Pretty good deal.

My FRAPS SS are way darker then the image in-game. Someone else with that issue?

buy a new pc / monitor

but really, post it here , and lets see if it's dark or not. sometimes its just your monitor ..

Based off these, tho can't beat the real thing:)

funny00851.jpg

militarymight.jpg

I really like the refugee shots. They make the civs seem very human, as opposed to just funny

(or if someone gave them a car, extremely dangerous) when you meet these AI buggers ingame.

Edited by sparks50

@ Sabre - Why wouldn't they have White faces? They're Australian aren't they?