Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Fully destructible environments

I did not see it anywhere but this is the way to go for future games in my opinion. ESPECIALLY in multiplayer where people love to camp.

Games like Red Faction are doing it and have gained a lot of attention for it. So in case ARMA II is not doing it, I really hope they look into it. If they are... disregard.

Well, fully destructible would mean that you do not need any island at client side since it would have changed since mission start and if the changes reaching a certain amount you have to sync so much that you can load the complete environment from the server. When we are all connected with 100GBit fiber to the dedicated server we can have "fully destructible would".

Well you should be pretty happy with ArmA 2, pretty much everything can be destroyed besides the odd structure, the dam wall etc.

I don't know how it is with ArmA 2 but 3-4 satchels should get you the results your looking for, on some of the bigger structures, bridges, factory buildings and so on.

Well, fully destructible would mean that you do not need any island at client side since it would have changed since mission start and if the changes reaching a certain amount you have to sync so much that you can load the complete environment from the server. When we are all connected with 100GBit fiber to the dedicated server we can have "fully destructible would".

How can other games do it then?

"Other Games" do not have support for 100+ players pal.

Fallout 3 had great physics, but was single player.

Red Faction Guerrilla has somewhere between 16-32 players I believe. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this)

It just.....Isn't doable, especially for an indie company like BIS (No offense, your games are better than anything on the market).

Most games you destroy about a city block worth of buildings and such. In ArmA (and I'd assume ArmA 2) you have several cities, along with miscellaneous villages and farms. They can all be blown up, but the animation is generic. Either way, it works, and considering how much info has to be kept about each individual building if they were to do it the way Crysis and Red Faction and such do it, well, I think we're a few years out from handling that.

Also, can you build your own models? Create different terrains?

What can not be destroyed? I dont get the question/rant here?

Anyone camping in a house will get boned if you shoot it with a tank or rockets or satchels or enough RPG's etc. Hiding behind a tree? Shoot it too and it falls down. In ArmA1 its possible and since ARMA2 even have some buildings that can get partially destroyed its even better. But eventually they will smash down completelly. Bet my ..... on that.

Alex

I think he's talking about terrain destruction here. Well, I don't really need this for the moment...

No, what I need is something better than my XP 3500+ single core and 2x 7800GTX to run this awesome game:(

While terrain destruction is nice, I'd like to have all houses destructable first. Just played a custom mission with an rpg. I fired one grenade at wooden house - no signs of destruction. Same result with another wooden house and with the stone church.

Proper damage handling comes also before destructable houses. In fact, I think houses would require it. Big difference on using AT, RPO, or FTG against it.

Current house destruction is good enough for me. It gives the impression of some destruction, while remaining multiplayer capable for larger number of players.

Many people want top physics AND good coop support. Physics being heavily dependant on 'randomness' in its calculations, you just can't have both.

I don't understand how this wouldn't be possilbe, take a look at Battlefield: Bad Company, it has fulyl destructable environment, nowhere to hide as you can shoot out the walls of a house, shoot trees down.

The Buildings arnt full distructible

Maps are about the size of an arma 2 town

Mulitplayer only for 32

Ground just deforms doesnt get destroyed

and most of the stuff in bf bc is in arma 2

I was pretty sure that just about any building object in ArmA2 can be destroyed. Terrain deformation is possible in the engine, but really it's not terribly useful in a gameplay sense. The grids are too large for foxholes and tank berms and only the largest artillery barrages would even dent the terrain noticably.

From what i've seen in some videos, jet crashes make terrain damage

I think that's a 3D rubble model that's added on top of the terrain, no altering of the grid. It's still really nice looking. 3D crater models are often better than grid alterations.

yeah deformation is doable but would require core engine changes unfortunately

Well tanks really cant do that without damaging themselves a whole lot. And its still harder to do than most people would think with real tanks. However it would still be cool and it is very possible.

What can not be destroyed? I dont get the question/rant here?

Anyone camping in a house will get boned if you shoot it with a tank or rockets or satchels or enough RPG's etc. Hiding behind a tree? Shoot it too and it falls down. In ArmA1 its possible and since ARMA2 even have some buildings that can get partially destroyed its even better. But eventually they will smash down completelly. Bet my ..... on that.

Alex

Well, some building can be destroyed, some not. And the configs (like many, many others) are so unbelievable inconsistent.....examples:

- I am in M1A2TUSK over harbour of Chernarus, I fire ONE SINGLE AP ROUND into a large chemical industrial installation (150m wide), AND THE COMPLETE THING collapsed in one go (while in RL it would make just "pling" and you would see a tiny hole with the diameter of the metal rod). Then I approached those wooden huts at the city limits, I fired ALL remaining rounds (all AP and HE) into a single hut - not a scratch.

- bales of straw, like many other objects, got wrong config data applied, instead of getting destroyed when running with MBT over it, the MBT IS REBOUNCING from the bale of straw

- making a huge arty barrage into the field in front of an village to prepare some shelter for your attacking infantry - nada in ArmA 2

- digging a foxhole behind your MG/HMG/GL/AT to survive the fire returned by the MBT since they know always EXACTLY where you are after you hit them once - forget it

I agree BIS has done a lot so far, but the overall result is just unbelievable buggy and inconsistent. You must have an object list next to your keboard with the reference which are partially destructable, not destructable, buggy...etc to come through.

BTW, destructible terrain would be achievable if BIS would provide predefined shapes that would applied to the sectors hit by explosions. Limiting them to a few would not make it looking really natural, but the game element "making cover by digging/bombing a hole" would be present.

Edited by S!fkaIaC

no one has taken into account that the game just came out and all you guysdo is complain...be happy you got the game i mean how much more do you want its about 10 cod4 maps put together destructible environments over 60+ multiplayer addons mods and skins and most people can barely run the game and you want fully destructible land scapes!!!

what happens when theres no were to play cause noobs just shoot up the land and buildings???

what happens when you can't take off on an airfield cause is broken and ploughed through and has holes in it from jet crashs ect???

what happens when a noob comes along and blows everything up with his tank and leaves????

one broken island full of burning buildings and holes....happy birthday you just ruined arma2!:yay: