Sign in to follow this  
Hekktor

Option for Plane / Helicopter steering

Plane / Heli Steering  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Plane / Heli Steering

• Is fine as it is.
    • Give us the choice to select a more realistic steering / flight model
    • Fly what? - Wars are won by groundunits!

This game would suck if you added a simple "Arcade" like flight handling system. Think about it, I bought this game for a simulation like experince. I also bought MS Flight Simulator for the same reason. I like the realism

There are already a bunch of monkeys that want to jump in a jet and bomb things with the click of a mouse and pressing of a few button, Arma 2 is not for that or you then. I hate how there are so many people out there that want a arcade like game, we have 100 of those out there. So don't go ruining the few games that offer some sim like experience. If you don't like it go play some other game. Like BF 2, and see how having arcade like gameplay leads to a stupid game of 2 men fighting on the ground and 20 people flying into buildings killing everyone on board, or flying around being a dumbass.

If you can't spend the time to learn to fly then don't! simple as that, hop in the and get a free ride. I love the learning curve and I feel ARMA 2 still isn't realistic enough with the Flight characteristics... So I'm all for nuking your idea of a stupid Arcade mode.

Jets shouldn't even be included imo. Watching jets fly 200m over a battlefield at what appears to be 150mph isn't immersive or realistic. It looks and feels like bf2. The engagement range for a ground strike probably wouldn't fit on to Chenarus. The view distance/detail isn't anywhere near supporting it nor is the dev time needed to simulate jet tech.

And don't anyone dare say a modern battlefield isn't realistic without modeling jets because I bet there's alot of infantry that've never seen an air strike first hand but have all had to take a s**t, wait around for weeks and rely on logistics and supplies for food and water. It's a game first and a sim second. If you want a plane sim, buy a plane sim. If you want a tank sim, buy a tank sim. If you want an infantry sim, buy ARMA 2. If you want it all then join one of the armed services.

Jets shouldn't even be included imo. Watching jets fly 200m over a battlefield at what appears to be 150mph isn't immersive or realistic. It looks and feels like bf2. The engagement range for a ground strike probably wouldn't fit on to Chenarus. The view distance/detail isn't anywhere near supporting it nor is the dev time needed to simulate jet tech.

And don't anyone dare say a modern battlefield isn't realistic without modeling jets because I bet there's alot of infantry that've never seen an air strike first hand but have all had to take a s**t, wait around for weeks and rely on logistics and supplies for food and water. It's a game first and a sim second. If you want a plane sim, buy a plane sim. If you want a tank sim, buy a tank sim. If you want an infantry sim, buy ARMA 2. If you want it all then join one of the armed services.

The entire role of the A-10 is to fly at 200 knots and 200 feet, and provide anti-armour/defense support for a platoon.

Edited by Liability

The entire role of the A-10 is to fly at 200 knots and 200 feet, and provide anti-armour/defense support for a platoon.

I'm wrong on that then :p The flight speed still looks daft though. Like they should be falling out of the sky, unable to pull their nose up.

The jet tech point still apllies though. These are precision machines with the best the world has to offer in navigation, sensors and training. In ARMA2 they are more like ww1 biplanes strafing what they can see.

You know the physics isnt top so its hard to do certain things in a realistic manner.

BIS are giving us in patch 1.03 new throttle handling for aircrafts wich is very nice. Now we can use our HOTAS in a better way. Good step forward, and ofcourse anyone is free to make a config that changes the flightmodel.

I come from combat flight sims myself such Falcon & Lomac (and every other sim back to my C64/Amiga), but with the latest throttle control that we will get im quite happy with ARMA2's aircrafts. In a perfect world then yes i would want air to be proper air and tanks to be proper tanks etc etc. But you have to think a bit realisticly. 5-10 years from now i hope we will have combined arm's with several companies merging sims together. I read about some project wich is doing just that - for the military first ofcourse...

But with 1.03 i think we all get a bit happier in the skies. :)

Alex

I disagree heartily though I sympathize with much of what you say.

I'm thinking of the 80's when we were all worrying about the Russians busting through the Fulda Gap with all that armour and the US, outmanned but with superior technology prepared to hold them off.

What would that have been like.

I've been playing with this and my what an amazing game this is...nothing so fine as getting my helicopter shot out from under me and crawling to the tree line to watch enemy M1 Abrams dueling it out with T90's 3 miles away. And then hearing the screech of jet engines overhead as a figher streaks across the sky.

I love it. I love it all. What an amazing world to visit.

do you want to expand on OFP style aircraft controls? I'm unfamiliar with that game and wondering what direction the patch will take this.

Hi all

Looks like the addition of a throttle is in 1.03 I wonder what other goodies there will be?

Kind Regards walker

do you want to expand on OFP style aircraft controls? I'm unfamiliar with that game and wondering what direction the patch will take this.

I think this means that every person with an xbox controller can now throttle hellos. Hope I am very wrong..

What? NOOOOOOOOOOOO! It still has the digital throttle?

WAAAAAAAARGH!

I use a joystick when flying. all axis including pitch, roll, rudder and throttle are analog when used with my joystick. the game plays like a flight sim when using a joystick I recommend it to any dedicated pilots out there!! I used a Saitek X45 on ARMA and I'm using my Saitek AV8R for ARMA2

I am also enjoying the flying in ARMA II, but I hope they don't take the challange out of flying choppers and planes with the next patch!

Hi all

Looks like the addition of a throttle is in 1.03 I wonder what other goodies there will be?

Kind Regards walker

Good to hear, still can't fly the planes...choppers I'm alright with, but with planes I just outright suck, which is odd cause I play a lot of flight sims.

But as has been said the games focus on ground combat, and a flight simulator takes years upon years to develop (avionics, armament, etc.) just look at the DCS modules, or even a game like Falcon.

I use a joystick when flying. all axis including pitch, roll, rudder and throttle are analog when used with my joystick. the game plays like a flight sim when using a joystick I recommend it to any dedicated pilots out there!! I used a Saitek X45 on ARMA and I'm using my Saitek AV8R for ARMA2

I use a cheap Logitech joystick with the rotating stick for rudder. If you bind the controls correctly in your Settings -> Controls menu you can get analog control over pitch, roll and yaw (yaw to some extent anyway). However, throttle in the current version is definately NOT analog. You move your analog throttle slider up and at a given preset point it goes all the way up, you move it down and when it passes that same point it drops to the near off position. There's no in-between.

However, this is supposed to be changed next patch.

I use a cheap Logitech joystick with the rotating stick for rudder. If you bind the controls correctly in your Settings -> Controls menu you can get analog control over pitch, roll and yaw (yaw to some extent anyway). However, throttle in the current version is definately NOT analog. You move your analog throttle slider up and at a given preset point it goes all the way up, you move it down and when it passes that same point it drops to the near off position. There's no in-between.

However, this is supposed to be changed next patch.

You sure about the throttle? I have a logitec 3d pro and when flying heli's or planes, I can control the amount of thrust being put out with the little throttle fin on my joystick. Discovered this flying around in the editor with a F35b. It wasn't breaking speed of around 331 until I pushed the fin all the way up (up increase, down decrease is how I have the bind set) to increase and it hit higher speeds in the 600's and over. This is even more noticable in heli's as I use my throttle a great deal to control speed, rate of descent and ascent and such. I very much have in-between control.

I would like to see IL-2 flight implemented. I just can't control these aircraft with a mouse or a joystick, they are just too sensitive!

The flight models are pretty decent now, i use a joystick, i just want a stronger rudder and a rudder that doesn't have a mind of its own at high speeds.

You sure about the throttle? I have a logitec 3d pro and when flying heli's or planes, I can control the amount of thrust being put out with the little throttle fin on my joystick. Discovered this flying around in the editor with a F35b. It wasn't breaking speed of around 331 until I pushed the fin all the way up (up increase, down decrease is how I have the bind set) to increase and it hit higher speeds in the 600's and over. This is even more noticable in heli's as I use my throttle a great deal to control speed, rate of descent and ascent and such. I very much have in-between control.

When i read your comment i just had to register to these forums.

You DO NOT have analog throttle on airplanes. You DO have analog throttle in choppers and when hovering the F35B. Try the Harrier for example and see for your self. I hardly believe BIS would announce a throttle fix for 1.3 patch if there wasn't a problem....

Btw, i have the exact stick as you. And i spend 95% of my Arma2 time flying, so i know the throttle needs fixing.

The flight models are pretty decent now, i use a joystick, i just want a stronger rudder and a rudder that doesn't have a mind of its own at high speeds.

I agree, however the models are differant.

Heli/rotary wing flight model is much different then the fixed wing flight model in OFP/ArmA/ArmA2

The rotary wing model is fine, the fixed wing is not

And what about the performance of the F35B? It's not possible for it to be as agile as it is atm. You can do sick 180 degree turns at high speed. No human would ever survive that. It feels like you are pulling like 20g's.

I agree, it's fun to fly. But far from realistic. G-forces are lacking alot.

And i know the F35 is meant to be agile with thrust-vectoring and other neat stuff. But the human body cannot sustain such immense g's that this plane can pull ingame.

I agree, there should be a blackout, whiteout and redout factor for pos and neg g's as well as face to face with sunlight.

600+ mph doing max turn radius pulls is pretty unreal in terms that there's no effects from it.

The only thing I will add to this thread is that this should not be in the general section as it is a suggestion. (The same thing applies to p75's lovely thread.)

I am pissed as hell :((((((((

So whatever language, I use... is out of pure fury of being

suckered into purchasing a load of crap.

I've got an x52, trackIR5 and pedals.

I purchased Arma2 SOLY to fly the helicopters...

Good god, I know the gamedesigner or programmers could not be the root of this,

Although the optionscreen looked to be designed and programmed by a 5 year old.

Whoever took the decision to dumbify the heli to this level should be sacked and

publically rediculed. If you're making a simulator, you're making a simulator... If you're

making a toy, you're making a toy, but just because noone at the "office" could fly a

heli, doesn't mean noone else can either...

You want an easy helicopter that has LOVELY physics?

Look at the "Desert Combat" mod for Battlefield 1942.

That was a mod, made by some kiddies... and they did a job, miles better than you

guys... and do think of how much you are paid, versus those kids...

And when it comes to having different professions in a single game...

The reason battlefield 1942 was such a huge success, was that it had some for

everyone. Meaning, everyone could not be best at everything. Some were on the

ground fighting, some in tanks protecting the men, some were in the air protecting

the tanks... Everyone playing the role they prefered...

If you had just gone down the road of making each style of game as fun and realistic

as possible without killing the fun, you would have had a great game. I don't mind

starting the heli with 1 button, but controlling the fu**er SHOULD TAKE PRACTICE!!!

But when you know how a heli works, you should be able to apply it. I've flown

countless of hours of Black Shark, landed on house-roofs, Trains, etc etc... The

crap you call a heli is a joke and a fraud which made me throw money at you...

money you don't deserve.

Now I'm wondering... Will these gits even try to fix their broken game, or should I just

throw the game in the bin right away? I cant even stomach selling it... Taking money

from someone for this crap would give me sleepless nights.. ;(

(Lets see how many seconds this post remains here... no matter, I'll post it on every

forum i can find...)

Heh, to give the option, someone has to code the realistic model first. That would require many man hours of work and possibly some drastic changes to the game engine.

Being the sandbox game it is, Arma2 has a little bit of everything which is both a gift and a curse. When you have a lot of variety, you have less details.

Its called and sold as Simulation afterall. Shold it not behave that way cause it takes "to long to code" ?

When it proves to be to difficult they maybe should consider to change the marketing around their product and thus avoid complaining that its not a simulation that way.

Errr, the Arma series has never claimed to be a flight sim.

But to be a "military simulation" which does not only mean "infantry simulation".

Though I guess its easier to speak to "every" potential costumer by calling it a military simulation with vehicles instead of a infantry simulation with vehicles. But hey what do I know.