Sign in to follow this  
Swatman

i can only hope americans buy this

i was disappointed when i purchased ARMA1 due to there being a huge lack of American servers and mostly foreign servers which i wouldnt join due to lag. hopefully ARMA 2 gets the attention it deserves so i can play it online

I hope so too mate and I am British, we have a few americans in my clan but your right, US players are few and far between, there should be alot more.

Im from the US as well and i love ArmA II, but your right the only people who i know that play it are the ones i got to play it and they dont love the game as much as i do. For ArmA II i have been sending all my friends the link to steam to buy it.

maybe we can get a little american group where we can join a server together and play?

I'm from the US and I bought the German version cause I couldn't wait for June 30th for release on steam LOL. The game just isn't as popular here in the US some reason. Although joining a server isn't an issue for me, I usually have higher pings than the rest of the people.

I'm from the US and I bought the German version cause I couldn't wait for June 30th for release on steam LOL. The game just isn't as popular here in the US some reason. Although joining a server isn't an issue for me, I usually have higher pings than the rest of the people.

where can i buy the german version? will it be any dif from the american?

The German version seems to be basically a beta, wait for the 505 Games version / US version (dunno whos publishing that one).

And yea I can't help but think this game is done before it's started, I hope they make a profit, but as far as widespread success goes, the writings on the wall so to speak, kinda sad, but only BIS to blame IMO.

Nope, should be the same.

Umm, let me find the forum page that tells how...

Was confirmed that the 505 release will be more complete compared to the German release via the Arma2 twitter page, and the patches from the German beta will be applied.

Woah dude, you may be the one here thinking it is incomplete, have you ever even PLAYED it?? I'd say it has more content than ArmA 1 !!. Anyway man, if you want to buy it I'd suggest go for it, it's awesome! I made a post here a while back guiding someone else through the process. Even if the devs or whoever says its a "Beta" i dont think it is cause it has plenty of content and not many major bugs. THe same bugs present in ArmA 1 also. German version is in NO way going to be different from American version, you can get an unofficial language patch, PM if ya need anything.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73521&highlight=Legit+Place

The reason there weren't many US players for Arma1 was because of the way it was released in the US, 7 months after it had released in EU, without any kind of publicity I might add.

There will be more more US fans now, because of the growth in the US fan base over the life span of Arma1 & you can see by reading these forums that many a US player wants info.

Also we (US fans) are getting the game almost the same time as everyone else (baring the GER release).

Although a lack of advertising "again" in the US, which would have exploded the US fans base. Why BIS hasn't done more in this area is a huge mystery, ads in Mag's & TV would have made them mega millions in the US alone. That one we'll probably never get a straight answer too.

But in any case, the US fan base is very large and will see even more once the game is out and the word is spread.

we should get a small american group together where we can join a vent or teamspeak and join a server and have some fun.

and blow **** up American style :D

So will there be US Servers? Public BIS as well as private? I never played ARMA 1 so I have nothing to go on except what I read here. It never occurred to me there might not be a bunch of public servers here. I would love some clarification/confirmation from BIS.

Thanks

Well, as soon as it releases in the US, our community (AGW - just click my sig) will have two servers running ARMA2. We are running Arma1 now, just filter for AGW. We are building an ARMA2 Tournament community, two full Army's going head to head each weekend, with loads of pubbing during the week.

We have ppl from all over, not just the US, so check us out. You'll find info on the home page for Teamspeak and all the rest.

I wanted to wait for the US steam version too but I couldn't. I'm telling a lot of people about ARMA 2 so I hope to get quite a few people addicted, but the biggest issue right now will probably be the hefty system requirements. I'm probably not going to recommend the game to someone that has never heard of it if I know they will have to upgrade their hardware to play it. That being said I'm glad they didn't make the game to run on utter crap hardware just to inflate sales (just doesn't seem the game scales very well at the moment).

A lot of people will also probably not be interested because of the amount of travel required to get into action in many game modes.

One thing that was interesting with CoD4 is that they obviously had the normal game servers for the masses but quite a few hardcore servers sprang up that were modded to increase realism and to appeal to a different crowd. It probably really help ARMA2 sales if bohemia setup some public US dedicated servers each in a few different game modes (TDM, hold, CTI) to bring in different types of players.

I always had quite a blast on the NovaLogic public Joint Operations 150 player servers. Something like that would be awesome for ARMA2.

A lot of people will also probably not be interested because of the amount of travel required to get into action in many game modes.

Yea, that's the differences between a simulator and a Arcade style shooter. Ppl who get ticked off in Arma because of distance & movement, do so because their brains have saturated by Arcade style run & gun none stop action, which requires no tactics only fast fingers or macro's.

You mentioned CoD4, a perfect example of none stop run & gun, with no time to think or use tactics, it's just go as fast as you can. Don't get me wrong, I have many of the CoD series games, just trying to point out that ARMA2 is not, in any way, an Arcade game, it's a military simulator, they should be told that coming in.

My friends and I are from the states and will be playing weekly games (thursdays at the least). We have a ventrillo server and will probably have a few ArmA2 servers running. We're not a clan, just a group of friends... so feel free to stop by our forums (link is in my profile) if you're looking for a few extra US players.

American here - I have convinced 3 of my friends to get the game as well :) (Though they are waiting on the steam release, so I have to wait to play with them)

Best bet would be to look up a coop group/squad/clan that is based in the states, that way you get consistent buds to kick butt with

I always had quite a blast on the NovaLogic public Joint Operations 150 player servers. Something like that would be awesome for ARMA2.

Wow I didn't know anyone was still around who used to play JO. I was a huge JO fan. Im hoping this has some of the same style of game play. I like COD style games for getting rid of aggression but they dont hold my interest for long periods of time. ARMA2 appears to be more of a tactical style game. At least that is what Im hoping. Realism and munitions take a back seat to game play and tactics for me.

joint ops was the only game i enjoyed in 2005 and 2004. 150 players was so much fun and im amazed a sequel was never announced considering it sold well. novalogic seemed to die off. hopefully this takes over for most players in a server *other than ps3 MAG

yes there got to be more american players, that way we Canadians can play on their servers:D

Yea, that's the differences between a simulator and a Arcade style shooter. Ppl who get ticked off in Arma because of distance & movement, do so because their brains have saturated by Arcade style run & gun none stop action, which requires no tactics only fast fingers or macro's.

You mentioned CoD4, a perfect example of none stop run & gun, with no time to think or use tactics, it's just go as fast as you can. Don't get me wrong, I have many of the CoD series games, just trying to point out that ARMA2 is not, in any way, an Arcade game, it's a military simulator, they should be told that coming in.

Its funny you say that about CoD4 because that was my biggest problem with it, but I was surprised to find a collection of servers that were geared toward tactical play. I found that a large percentage of the players were actually active military service members playing while on leave or at their base. Extending a hand to these folks that may not have ever heard of OFP or ARMA would be a good thing for everyone. Hopefully active military service members can afford computers fast enough to play ARMA2.

ARMA2 won't ever appeal gamers who are stuck on playing run and gun first person shooters. I do think it can and probably will appeal to some hardcore CoD4 players (who play on squad centric servers with realistic damage and run and gun restrictions), Joint Operations, Delta Force players, Red Orchestra players and Project Reality.

These type of players would fit pretty well into ARMA2. It might make it easier to lure them if some public servers were setup in game modes they are most familiar with. I think a lot of these players would adapt to the full spectrum of ARMA2 shortly after being pulled in.

i think the only problem with these types of games, is the maps are wayyyy to big and it can take 10 minutes to travel somewhere only to die and do it all over again.

A friend and I were obsessed with OFP1 since release and we got a couple more friends interested over the years (all American). We're all looking forward to ArmA II, but are willing to wait for the worldwide Steam release.

Everybody else we personally know over here plays WoW almost exclusively.