Sign in to follow this  
bloodbomb

What does ARMA 2 have that Operation Flashpoint 2 doesn't?

Why people are thinking in terms of this OR that, why not this AND that?

I'll surely be picking up Dragon Rising when it comes out, and i will buy Modern Warfare 2 as well.

I don't get this blind devotion and fanboism - BIS aren't your relatives or friends, they are just another company. Denying yourself a product because it isn't made by BIS is silly to say the least (especially after a technical/performance/optimization trainwreck that is ArmA 2).

Seems like DR isn't the only game where headshots aren't lethal and can be cured with medkits

If not, don't presume to engage in phallus-measuring with me over what constitutes a good tac-shooter. [...]

I'm not presuming anything, and i'm not really interested in who you are and what you do of your life. Stop being so aggressive, I don't post here to lose one’s head. I just give my point of view from my 10 years playing all tactical shooters I could find. I enjoyed like lot of people first Ghost recon, sorry if it disturbs you so much.

GR1 only did as well as it did because it had Tom Clancy's name on it and Li C. Kuo of PC Gamer U.S.A. heaped mountains of praise upon it because of that magazine's long-standing relationship with Red Storm Entertainment.[...]

Ghost Recon got good marks all over Europe and United States, included France and absolutely not cause it's Tom Clancy at least not in magazines that I read before I got it ... it's been goty followed by 3 expansions, that's not for nothing.

GR was absolute garbage. But hey, if you like enemy A.I. that stands upright, all by itself, mimicking trees, go for it.

8 years ago, it wasn't big issues, but you got a point, I wouldn't play it todays :D ..

GARBAGE! [...]You couldn't pay me to play that rubbish.

I'm not agree, so now if you don't mind, let's not fall into deaf dialog. Gr has definitely got nothing to do with Ofp2 or ArmA2.

Edited by dunedain

Arma 2 is a great game, and dragon rising looks amazing too and thankfully they actually took the time to put it on the PS3 also, which i will be buying it on :D

Why is everyone against OFP 2?

I think we shouldn't underestimate this title, Codemasters are working very hard to develop a true sequel to OFP 1, i wouldn't be surprised if the out of the box multiplayer gameplay of OFP 2 turns out to be at least as realistic as ArmA/ArmA2.

Besides, do we HAVE to choose? Why not wait until OFPDR is released, give it a fair try, and then see what we really think of it?

I for one am planning to buy this title too, that's for sure.

Also i think it's fairly stupid to judge a game months before its release, but that's just me...

Also i think it's fairly stupid to judge a game months before its release, but that's just me...

exactly, pointless post, cannot even be discussed about until OF2 is out

I think we shouldn't underestimate this title, Codemasters are working very hard to develop a true sequel to OFP 1, i wouldn't be surprised if the out of the box multiplayer gameplay of OFP 2 turns out to be at least as realistic as ArmA/ArmA2.

Besides, do we HAVE to choose? Why not wait until OFPDR is released, give it a fair try, and then see what we really think of it?

I for one am planning to buy this title too, that's for sure.

I don't see a reason for the hate too, i think dragon rising looks amazing, and thankfully its on the PS3 so i can get it for that :D.

What I think gives FP:Dragon Rising an edge is that it's unlikely that it'll have the same drawbacks and flaws that are intrinsic to the BIS games, as it uses a completely different engine, sound effects, etc.

And I second that criticism of 'fan-boyism'. There's a tendency of people who're into these kind of games to equate 'realism' with 'good'. I have to say, that while Arma I may have been more 'realistic' than Call of Duty 4, there's not a doubt in my mind that COD4 was a far better game overall. Not that that would be difficult though, in my opinion.

I also think that DR looks more like the original Flashpoint, from what I've seen anyway. While the islands in Arma I and Arma II look outstanding, the blurry and almost 'cartoonish' foliage is something that I don't really like, but that doesn't seem to be what DR is looking like. Although, I have to admit that I could be wrong given that the game's not yet out and I haven't played it.

I understand that Codemasters made the Red Hammer campaign for the original FP. That doesn't really bode well for DR's own campaign. But maybe they've improved their understanding of what a good military campaign should be like. I'll just have to play DR before I can make an informed decision on which is better.

What's being said here is that OFP II seems to be an enjoyable game with an interesting background and a quite solid theme.

But when it comes to Realism, things tend to be slightly different from BIS games. Just get a look at the presentation video of the game to understand what I'm trying to point out.

Regards,

TB

What I think gives FP:Dragon Rising an edge is that it's unlikely that it'll have the same drawbacks and flaws that are intrinsic to the BIS games, as it uses a completely different engine, sound effects, etc.

And I second that criticism of 'fan-boyism'. There's a tendency of people who're into these kind of games to equate 'realism' with 'good'. I have to say, that while Arma I may have been more 'realistic' than Call of Duty 4, there's not a doubt in my mind that COD4 was a far better game overall. Not that that would be difficult though, in my opinion.

I also think that DR looks more like the original Flashpoint, from what I've seen anyway. While the islands in Arma I and Arma II look outstanding, the blurry and almost 'cartoonish' foliage is something that I don't really like, but that doesn't seem to be what DR is looking like. Although, I have to admit that I could be wrong given that the game's not yet out and I haven't played it.

I understand that Codemasters made the Red Hammer campaign for the original FP. That doesn't really bode well for DR's own campaign. But maybe they've improved their understanding of what a good military campaign should be like. I'll just have to play DR before I can make an informed decision on which is better.

Arma is a way better game than cod4. Every time i played cod4 i wanted to stab my eyes out. OFP2 will be horrid.

Seems like DR isn't the only game where headshots aren't lethal and can be cured with medkits

What a n00b. He forgot to mention he was playing on Recruit, which is made for people who suck badly. Like himself.

Edited by MulleDK19
Grammar.

So when you can do this is OFP DR it is CMs fault. When you can do it in Arma2 it is the n00b players fault? Nice.........

I think we shouldn't underestimate this title, Codemasters are working very hard to develop a true sequel to OFP 1...

The thing for me, and I guess a few others, is not the game itself, it is the fact that they only have right to the title OFP and they made some bad moves in the beginning to make it look like they made OFP1. Totally riding on BIS success.

edit. and we know that the true sequel is arma2 (arma 1 was a bonus between OFP:elite and "OFP 2"/game2/arma2). CM doesnt even call it a sequel anymore, they even changed the name to OFP dragon rising instead of OFP 2.

Edited by andersson

So when you can do this is OFP DR it is CMs fault. When you can do it in Arma2 it is the n00b players fault? Nice.........

You're an even bigger idiot than he is. Jeez.

Why doesnt anyone compare OFP2 to the old ghost recon titles. I was a massive ghost recon fan till that advanced warfighter stuff ruined the series.

I have also played a few hundred hours of BF2.

To me OFP2 reminds me way more of the great ghost recon titles rather than BF2.

Meh.

Arma is a way better game than cod4. Every time i played cod4 i wanted to stab my eyes out. OFP2 will be horrid.

Well, that may be your opinion but it certainly isn't mine. I mean, really, Arma had some serious bugs in it that in some cases rendered it unplayable. Not to mention rigid movement, generic campaign, rather dull sound effects etc. Sure some of the levels in it were half decent, bugs aside, but on the whole I felt like I was just playing the game to get it finished, rather than actually liking it.

And I don't know what you base your opinion that 'OFP2 will be horrid' on, considering that it's not even out. In any case, I think it will be a better game than Arma, although that may not really be saying much, given my views on the first Arma.

I'm pretty sure OFPDR will turn out to be a decent FPS, but for people that only interested in realistic military sims, ArmA2 is the game. For me, I love any military shooters that are fun, be it ArmA2, BFBC2, OPFDR or MW2.

Fanboys. :rolleyes:

I am going to get Operation Flashpoint 2 when its out. And the most of you guys will do exactly the same :). Of course you do. At least you will play the demo.

Maybe its an arcade style of game but it doesnt bother me at all. There is no realism and simulation in Tetris either and I surely can deal with that. I have to.

But here comes my answer to the question:

In ArmA2 you can bounce back and forth as a rabbit! :bounce3:

You can't do that on OFP2. There is no rabbits in OFP2. If there is, that would turn my world upside down.

I am going to get Operation Flashpoint 2 when its out. And the most of you guys will do exactly the same :). Of course you do.

I don't even plan to torrent it.

Why does the history between Bohemia and Codemasters even come into this conversation? If you believe that BIS was the entire reason the original OFP was a great game then you more naive than I would have ever imagined for a group of "seasoned gamers' like yourselves.

Now before everyone reaches out to hit the quote or reply button to start flaming me, please hear me out. First off let me say I purchased both iterations of ARMA and I love them both, and I also like most of you played the original OFP for years and years. But the history of two software companies and their relationship with one another is no concern to me, whether it is called OFP 2/3/4/5 or Arma 2/3/4/5 doesn't matter. What matters is that these are two companies still believe there is strong customer base looking for real tactical shooters, and their developers are involved with the community getting feedback from them to hopefully present a product the community will enjoy.

Operation Flashpoint 2 will be a decent game I am sure, it will be a tactical shooter I am sure of that too. Will it be comparable to COD4 or BF2, even the guys on this forum that bash OFP2 know better than that. This feud that has formed this hatred or disdain for the "other" game made by that "other" company pushes them to make ignorant comments like that. The fact that no one on these forums have seen anything other than a 3 minute video of in-game footage, or a trailer for OFP2 is proof enough that none of the comments made should be taken seriously. OFP2 is still a work in progress, and while they have slated it for a fall release, that is likely not to happen. I am sure that this game will be pushed out to a later date. Regardless, when it is released I will buy it as well.

Before you assume I am a CM or OFP2 fanboy, please stop and think about this. We the tactical shooter community are a small few in the fps community that believe that realism is more fun that the mindless, bunny hopping, bottomless pocket fragfest games that the majority of gamers play today. The failure of ARMA or OFP series would directly affect the other, as we are the lone survivors of a genre. The success of ARMA and ARMA 2 will force CM to compete, while the games may not be the same in every aspect does not matter. If they can appeal to the fan base (all of us) then the success of each company will force the other to make a better game. When you have a small niche market or small fan base in comparison you are less likely to get the investments/funding a company needs to develop a game. That is why I think we should stop the ignorant feuding and support the community, not the community of OFP2 or ARMA 2, but the community of realistic tactical shooters.

So with that said, I think both games will something to offer, I don't think either will have all the elements we would all hope for. I think OFP2 will be a good game, will it be better than Arma2? That remains to be seen, I have to see more before I commit. That's just my two cents.

Why does the history between Bohemia and Codemasters even come into this conversation? If you believe that BIS was the entire reason the original OFP was a great game then you more naive than I would have ever imagined for a group of "seasoned gamers' like yourselves.

Now before everyone reaches out to hit the quote or reply button to start flaming me, please hear me out. First off let me say I purchased both iterations of ARMA and I love them both, and I also like most of you played the original OFP for years and years. But the history of two software companies and their relationship with one another is no concern to me, whether it is called OFP 2/3/4/5 or Arma 2/3/4/5 doesn't matter. What matters is that these are two companies still believe there is strong customer base looking for real tactical shooters, and their developers are involved with the community getting feedback from them to hopefully present a product the community will enjoy.

Operation Flashpoint 2 will be a decent game I am sure, it will be a tactical shooter I am sure of that too. Will it be comparable to COD4 or BF2, even the guys on this forum that bash OFP2 know better than that. This feud that has formed this hatred or disdain for the "other" game made by that "other" company pushes them to make ignorant comments like that. The fact that no one on these forums have seen anything other than a 3 minute video of in-game footage, or a trailer for OFP2 is proof enough that none of the comments made should be taken seriously. OFP2 is still a work in progress, and while they have slated it for a fall release, that is likely not to happen. I am sure that this game will be pushed out to a later date. Regardless, when it is released I will buy it as well.

Before you assume I am a CM or OFP2 fanboy, please stop and think about this. We the tactical shooter community are a small few in the fps community that believe that realism is more fun that the mindless, bunny hopping, bottomless pocket fragfest games that the majority of gamers play today. The failure of ARMA or OFP series would directly affect the other, as we are the lone survivors of a genre. The success of ARMA and ARMA 2 will force CM to compete, while the games may not be the same in every aspect does not matter. If they can appeal to the fan base (all of us) then the success of each company will force the other to make a better game. When you have a small niche market or small fan base in comparison you are less likely to get the investments/funding a company needs to develop a game. That is why I think we should stop the ignorant feuding and support the community, not the community of OFP2 or ARMA 2, but the community of realistic tactical shooters.

So with that said, I think both games will something to offer, I don't think either will have all the elements we would all hope for. I think OFP2 will be a good game, will it be better than Arma2? That remains to be seen, I have to see more before I commit. That's just my two cents.

Very good point man i 100% agree here, just don't understand why need to bash another game that CM is competing with. I don't agree with being a wannabe fanboy and bashing a game which is still in construction. Once it comes out we can try it. But i don't pick favourites.. i think ArmA 2 is great and i think OFP2 will be too!

Tincup, very good post. I guess some of the reasons you wrote it was my post? If so what I tried to say with my post was the reason some are biased and have bad feelings about OFP2. And that is not about the game itself, its about the history.

With that said, just to be clear, I agree with you totally.