Sign in to follow this  
bloodbomb

What does ARMA 2 have that Operation Flashpoint 2 doesn't?

I'm seeing enough little 'nods' to orig. OFP in the latest vids (cf. death sequence) to keep my interest.

. Look at the forums, they also have a large modding community, and the game is not even released.

Is that not a contradiction of terms? ;)

I'll give DR a chance. I am no longer negatively biased towards the game since it turned out it is quite boldy trying to bring something new to the consoles and may even build a bridge between arcade fans and mil-sim fans. With new CoD and BF titles on the market it may still get it's neck broken, since it's neither an ultra-atmospheric scripted orgy nor a proper mil-sim.

But I still haven't changed my attitude towards CM. I overcame the use of the OFP name, hell, it's a dirty trick but it's theirs now and they would be idiots not to exploit it. But what about that constant lying to the community, right from the start? Everyone forgot? All those artworks and photoshopped screens posing as in-game shots? Only one of the DR previewers seem to have mentioned it, others are already most likely blinded with hype.

BIS and their marketing is... well... "bad" for the lack of more suitable words (most likely publisher's fault anyway)... BUT THANK YOU FOR NOT FEEDING US CRAP!

You guys are agressive, and defensive. Even when you are not being attacked, Thats the most obvious sign of fear. Why you fear a game that is not rivaling you is beyond me, but ok...

My rant is over.

Well, we are playing a war sim, aggression and defensive attitudes are part an parcel of the OFP/ArmA games.

Joking aside, I wouldn't call it fear though. I see nothing wrong with people being upset at CM for using the OFP name and turning it into a "in depth arcade game". A great many people have had so many hours out of the first OFP games, (myself included) that there is a strong sense of loyalty fostered for BI. And yes, I am a bit angry at CM for using the name and dumbing it down for the ADHD/consle generation, so unless I find out that the reason that CM and BI stopped working together was because Placebo made a pass at Satine, then Im going to be, proudly, biased towards BI. (Now if BI released a racing game, it would be the other way around, driving AI??).

DR will, no doubt be a good game, and, I may even play it, but I expect it will be as good or as bad as many other games i play. If you check my xfire profile, you'll see that the only games that I have been arsed to carry on playing up to and after 100 hours are MMO's. And ArmA 2. DR for me, (if I get it) will probably be just another 35 -50 hour game. One thing is for certain, OFP:DR is not, I say again, is not OFP.

So yes, I am biased, and I won't try to deny it, and I'm bloody well happy to be biased on this point.

Edited by Bascule42
typo & grammar patch

Well, we are playing a war sim, aggression and defensive attitudes are part an parcel of the OFP/ArmA games.

Joking aside, I wouldn't call it fear though. I see nothing wrong with people being upset at CM for using the OFP name and turning it into a "in depth arcade game". A great many people have had so many hours out of the first OFP games, (myself included) that there is a strong sense of loyalty fostered for BI. And yes, I am a bit angry at CM for using the name and dumbing it down for the ADHD/consle generation, so unless I find out that the reason that CM and BI stopped working together was because Placebo made a pass at Satine, then Im going to be, proudly, biased towards BI. (Now if BI released a racing game, it would be the other way around, driving AI??).

DR will, no doubt be a good game, and, I may even play it, but I expect it will be as good or as bad as many other games i play. If you check my xfire profile, you'll see that the only games that I have been arsed to carry on playing up to and after 100 hours are MMO's. And ArmA 2. DR for me, (if I get it) will probably be just another 35 -50 hour game. One thing is for certain, OFP:DR is not, I say again, is not OFP.

So yes, I am biased, and I won't try to deny it, and I'm bloody well happy to be biased on this point.

Amen!

Original OFP is one of the best games ever made and it was made by BIS and not by codemasters.

Arma2 is the real sequel of OFP so I will always go for stuff made by BIS.

Edited by Path-x

What puts me off OFPDR is that Codemasters have a weak pedigree. They release a lot of games that really stink out loud. Definitely not going to take a chance on OFP2 until I have heard some solid hands-on feedback from people. Hype and rumours will always fly back and forth but the bottom line is that as far as BIS and the OFP line goes, they've not missed once. OFP was great, Arma was great, Arma 2 is great. Codemasters on the other hand have crapped in a bun and called it a burger more than once.

I'm genuinely looking forward to OFP:DR, it's looking like being a good game.

That said, I fear they will do what they have done with all of their games, DiRT and GRID were a really freaky mix of realism and utter arcade. You couldn't tune the cars in GRID, you had no option to just drive etc etc and then they chose to not allow you to race cars from different classes against each other? Wtf? The handling was ... interesting but by no means realistic, the gameplay ... omg ... I'm pretty sure that ramming is not encouraged in real racing somehow.

I think DR will be much more accessible than ArmA2, being both a good and a bad thing - it will be much easier to play but that very thing will hold it back from being a "milsim".

OFP will be "cool", once again, both a good and a bad thing.

In short, OFP will be a simulation for the casual player, it will be the DiRT of milsims, while ArmA2 is the Richard Burns Rally. Something to do while you're not man enough to play ArmA2:OA :3

Edit:

Codemasters on the other hand have crapped in a bun and called it a burger more than once.

Brilliantly put ;)

Edited by LJF

OFP: DR has auto-rotation heli landings. Arma 2 has AA that never misses.

ArmA 2 has auto-rotation heli landings. Arma 2 has AA that can miss. It has missed me several times both because of the angle and/or because I out ran it (f-35).

EDIT: I would actually say that I have seen more missiles miss than I have seen hit.

Edited by Jakerod

OFP: DR has auto-rotation heli landings. Arma 2 has AA that never misses.

Nah, you're just a crap pilot.

But seriously, AA does miss (although in ArmA 1 the missiles were insanely accurate) and BIS games have had auto-rotation since OFP.

AA missiles in ArmA 2 don't stand much chance of a hit if they fire from the side and you're moving fast.

Anyway AA is supposed to be deadly to aircraft, that's the whole point. It takes still to get past it.

Edited by Maddmatt

I am going to laugh my head off when you OFPDR numpties come crawling back to A2 because it's too arcadey !

Too much crap written about a game that hasn't even been released!

ofp:dr will look/run better and have WAY better sli scaling

Gotta love people posting bullshit...

We can also see it doesn't look better.

Gotta love people posting bullshit...

We can also see it doesn't look better.

troll^

yes it does:confused: but its all about gameplay and I sure i'll like arma2 better! come on BIS is not making OFP-dR gameplay is gonna be like cod4 lol..come on I love arma2 its the best IMO

Edited by Stalker96

troll^

If pointing out bullshit makes me a troll then I'll happily take that title, thanks.

But at least I don't post bullshit.

Lower model and texture details are clearly visible, nowhere near ArmA 2's level of detail. How is it better? Can you actually explain what about the graphics look better? If you can't answer that, I've proved my point.

Lower detail, that's a fact. Can't be argued.

Or maybe being more colourful counts as looking better? :j:

I'm not bashing OFP2, I'm interested in it. Looks like a decent game. I like ArmA 2 as well, but just because I like or dislike a game doesn't mean I'm going to post garbage.

I'm with the troll :D

ArmA 2 is far superior. But the games are two different genres, unless OpFDR is claiming to be a simulator? :eek:

All OpFDR peeps will come crawling back if their looking for a simulator

I dont remember autorotaion from OFP:confused:

Anyways what game looks better is a matter of opinion in my opinion :p

I've got arma2 and its good, but I've given up on multiplayer for the time being. From what I can see DR will be a compromise when it comes to realism, but be more "accessible" which is a word Im starting to hate more and more reading some of the interviews.

Hopefully It will be on the same level as the original Ghost Recon games and Rainbow 6. Hopefully...

I'm not gonna lie, i will buy OF: DR and it properly might be fun playing(like Joint Operations).... BUT when i want military simulation, ArmA 2 is the title :)

What does ARMA 2 have that Operation Flashpoint 2 doesn't?
Who knows whats exactly in DR?

Now we have only advertising pictures, trailers, articles and interviews.

Wait till the game is released + 1st patch.

Lower model and texture details are clearly visible, nowhere near ArmA 2's level of detail. How is it better? Can you actually explain what about the graphics look better?

Could it be the fact they run at more than 15fps? All the detail in the world isn't worth jack if it's running like a slideshow. Or hadn't you noticed the several thousand posts on these forums about ARMA2's performance?

Having said that, I'm not going to weigh in on ARMA2 vs OFP2 until I've got the shiny new OFP2 box in my hands. But I must say that nearly every preview I've read of the game - many of them from trusted journos rather than frustrated forum addicts - suggest it's a hell of a lot more hardcore than most of the folks around here are suggesting.

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

Could it be the fact they run at more than 15fps? All the detail in the world isn't worth jack if it's running like a slideshow. Or hadn't you noticed the several thousand posts on these forums about ARMA2's performance?

Having said that, I'm not going to weigh in on ARMA2 vs OFP2 until I've got the shiny new OFP2 box in my hands. But I must say that nearly every preview I've read of the game - many of them from trusted journos rather than frustrated forum addicts - suggest it's a hell of a lot more hardcore than most of the folks around here are suggesting.

It won't be.

Codemasters is going after the mainstream dullards and I have to disagree with "trusted" journalists? I'd trust a gamer over a journalist any day. They are far more likely to give an honest opinion. Journalists have a tendency to hype games before they are released.

Even the "hardcore" mode looks lame. Basically, they take the HUD away but the combat still looks very BF2/CODish.

Finally, it sucks that you are running at 15 fps, but that isn't the case for everyone.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

I use articles/reviews/previews as light reference. Never truely trust it til I've seen it for myself.

For the record, I loved alone in the dark, most reviews gave it 3 out of 10 but those same reviews mentioned things that weren't even in the game which lead the developers to believe that many reviews were based on stolen alpha builds, but that's a court case for another time.

Suffice to say, never judge a book by it's movie.

Maybe if you tried toning down your resolution to like say 1680x1050 you would get more than 15fps :eek: