Sign in to follow this  
bloodbomb

What does ARMA 2 have that Operation Flashpoint 2 doesn't?

To add something to the discussion, it will be interesting to see which product is more modd-able

ArmA2 will naturally inherit all of the mod teams and mission makers from previous incarnations.

OFP2: DR no idea to be honest

Maybe CM will make a game that's playable right out of the box instead of relying on the community to patch things up and implement decent game-play? :p

??? errr??? CoD-like magical healing in OFP-DR? Sure of this one?

I meant the magickal healing in ArmA 2:

??? errr??? CoD-like magical healing in OFP-DR? Sure of this one?

More like Left 4 Dead magical healing. Except in Left 4 Dead, you don't magically absorb the power of the medical pack by holding it infront of your face.

I meant the magickal healing in ArmA 2:

You want to try convincing me the whole game on normal settings is like that? :)

I've seen screenshot of vehicles floating above a lake in A2. That doesn't mean that vehicles do float on water no matter what.

But nice bending of truth there, I must admit! congrats!

OFPDR will have dmg over time, like losing blood and if a medic dosnt get to you, you die. From what PC Gamer said its like arma 2

You want to try convincing me the whole game on normal settings is like that? :)

The magickal healing is on all difficulty settings in ArmA 2.

Also, Team Razor can take an ungodly amount of damage. Something like ten shots to the chest with an assault rifle point blank on normal difficulty. Then they roll over on the floor yelling for a medic. Medic waves his hands and they're back at 100%. LOL realism :)

The magickal healing is on all difficulty settings in ArmA 2.

Also, Team Razor can take an ungodly amount of damage. Something like ten shots to the chest with an assault rifle point blank on normal difficulty. Then they roll over on the floor yelling for a medic. Medic waves his hands and they're back at 100%. LOL realism :)

10 shots? Way off...

Ok folks I am picking up a trend in these posts.

So pay attention.

Stay on topic "what does ArmA2 have that OFP2 DR does not"

This is not a pissing contest about realism.

It was not meant to be a pissing match, I think if you look back you will find one of your own pushed that button. ;)

OFPDR looks to be shaping up and looks to be a decent game. Both games look to be realistic as far as soldiers movements, weapon ballistics etc. I think ARMA2 will have the upper hand in overall realism. When people first read that they sometimes think, "that's the one for me" but be sure that is what you want. With the military realism of ARMA comes a steeper learning curve for those that have no military background or knowledge. That is not to say it cannot be learned easily, just be aware it may take sometime to bcome accustomed to the various controls and commands.

Both games are and will be enjoyable I am sure. When it comes down to it, it is a matter of preference. I say you play both as it will be some time before OFP2 is released.

Fans are bitter the OFP name has been applied to something that has little in common with the original. What it does share with the original it also likely shares with GRAW or CoD4- guns, explosions, FPV etc.. Now I know that it's not 'just' BF2 or whatever but am I allowed to have this opinion of what I've seen so far?

Then constructively criticise on the flashpoint forums, sure some of the mod's might be a bit harsh on some of the responces you may give but as long as it's in the right thread etc... should be fine.

---------------------------------

At the end of the day every 1 complaint piles up forcing CM to change something, still regarding fanboism I might be abit like that but at the end of the day each game will have something significant that the other doesn't have and lastly to the person who said flashpoint wont really have any modder's you are wrong in that regard. A few ARMA players are planning to mod for both.

About 4 major mods being developed, sure not alot but it's a start is it not?

At the end of the day:

ARMA2: Full combat orientation. (Air combat/sea etc...)

OFP: DR: Infantry orientated.

Edited by Tyrokiller

Definately a start. There was one mod I saw some hardware on that was looking pretty sharp. Just thinking about Rhodites post about staying on the topic: Besides basic compiling of listed or expressed features of each game, also look into the possibilities that each will have opened up because of the different trends in the design. I.E. smaller MP player slot count ~= greater detailed/more control accessable addons (different control scheme). If Arma II allows easier (native?) addon keyboard bindings, they may have some competition here. (need to make an standard bind addon for ingame configuration.. hmm.)

But then, when you play and realize its impossible to keep FPS above 100 for normal mouse movement, all you wanna do is close the game and uninstall.

So ArmA 2 is a bad game because it doesnt satisfy your fetish for entirely unnecessary high frame rates? You do realize that most games with any way decent graphics arent going to be able to run at 100FPS, no matter what system you have. It's going to be quite a while before the hardware needed to run the game that fast is made.

As we all know BIS have trouble surviving on the gains from the OFP/ArmA franchise as it is.

Good thing they have VBS, eh?

Edited by echo1

in OFP2 u can't fly helis and i don't think tanks either, the AI does. kind lame huh?

stick with ARMA2 ;-)

in OFP2 u can't fly helis and i don't think tanks either

Yep, that's correct - you can't fly tanks in OFP: Dragon Rising...

Grim

in OFP2 u can't fly helis and i don't think tanks either, the AI does. kind lame huh?

stick with ARMA2 ;-)

Well someone needs to do their research...

Yep, that's correct - you can't fly tanks in OFP: Dragon Rising...

Grim

Damnit all, now there's no way I'm getting that game... can't even fly tanks... :mad:

I saw that one... either it's some epic glitch on the scale of the infamous "bouncing truck" from ArmA I, or it's someone hacking the config files for the vehicles :p

I saw that one... either it's some epic glitch on the scale of the infamous "bouncing truck" from ArmA I, or it's someone hacking the config files for the vehicles :p

If that's a bounce, then it's the most controlled bounce I've ever seen ;)

Just someone having fun with modding. That actually has loads of potential. Imagine large dogfights with flying T-90s vs Abrams! Now *that* is something I don't think we'll see in OFP: DR !:D

Hi,

@tincup

Sorry to come back to one of your posts and rest assure that I'm not trying to raise any arguments with you there but I really dont understand how you can compare the developpers and the editors in a game.

Of course they both need each other, one has the brain and the other has the money, but this is as far that you can compare them.

If I build a car and you pay the legal fees so we can sell it who would you trust to make modifications or build another car based on the previous one. It's like a relational database, the one-to-many relation starts with the developpers (the one part) and propagates to the publishers (who can easily be the many part). You can always find other publishers (money) but the brains are unique.

Cheers

Hi,

@tincup

Sorry to come back to one of your posts and rest assure that I'm not trying to raise any arguments with you there but I really dont understand how you can compare the developpers and the editors in a game.

Of course they both need each other, one has the brain and the other has the money, but this is as far that you can compare them.

If I build a car and you pay the legal fees so we can sell it who would you trust to make modifications or build another car based on the previous one. It's like a relational database, the one-to-many relation starts with the developpers (the one part) and propagates to the publishers (who can easily be the many part). You can always find other publishers (money) but the brains are unique.

Cheers

Agreed.

You are correct and I never disputed each companies unique role. When I made the post it was more about the feuding between certain members from each games community. It was almost like you had to choose between the two. Then I was informed that it was because of the past business history that these people were angry. My opinion on those business dealings and it is just an opinion, Operation Flashpoint is a name. A name that was sold, not stolen or given away.

A good example of this is The Geo brand of cars from the 1990's. Geo models were manufactured by GM in joint-ventures with Japanese import manufacturers. The Prizm was produced at the GM/Toyota joint-venture NUMMI assembly plant in Fremont, California, and the Metro and Tracker were produced at the GM/Suzuki joint-venture CAMI assembly plant in Ingersoll, Ontario. The exceptions, the Spectrum and Storm, were entirely manufactured by Isuzu in Japan. Geo Metro convertibles were built by Suzuki in Japan.

After the brand had been accepted by the public some years later, GM bought sole rights to vehicles and their names. The vehicles became part of the Chevrolet lineup, while keeping the same names (prism, tracker,etc). It was a business decision like the one between BIS and CM. I hope that makes sense, I really didn't intend to discuss business.

I was just hoping that the two communities could show the other the respect they deserve. We are all part of the tactical shooter community, and we should support one another. There are some great ideas from both communities.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Sorry for the typos and stuff, I sent the post from my cell. ;)

Edited by Tincup

Probably buggs [sic]

bugs-bunny.jpg?w=288&h=353

But I otherwise agree, my "buddy" told me that Codemasters hired in a team of superhuman clones that are physically incapable of making mistakes while programming. :icon_rolleyes:

Edited by echo1