Sign in to follow this  
bloodbomb

What does ARMA 2 have that Operation Flashpoint 2 doesn't?

I am interested in getting this game when its out (or demo) probably becuase the graphics will be rather nice indeed. And I suspect the gameplay would be as most say "tactical FPS". Much like Raven Shield or Ghost Recon 2 onwards with some more open ended options etc.

I wouldn't expect it to have long shelf life like BIS have created, and I wouldn't expect it to be a complete guts on the table open sandbox either (in answer to what it has that Codemasters wont have). I guess it will be somewhere in between. But that doesn't mean im not interested to play it.

To me it will be an enjoyable eyecandy-tactical-style-game for the campaign and map(s) with MP fun, but good old Arma/2 will be the main stay throughout and beyond.

Edited by mrcash2009

'Bashing' is an unfortunate word. Are the community, who like realism, allowed to criticise FP: DR if it totes the OFP name, yet, for example, you can be hit in the head and only bleed badly?

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the way some of the criticism is put across, I just think the substance of the criticisms is right and fair. Anyway, we've been through this a dozen times already.

Fans are bitter the OFP name has been applied to something that has little in common with the original. What it does share with the original it also likely shares with GRAW or CoD4- guns, explosions, FPV etc.. Now I know that it's not 'just' BF2 or whatever but am I allowed to have this opinion of what I've seen so far?

Yes I'll try the demo for sure, that will be my ultimate opinion of the game before I do/do not buy it.

'Bashing' is an unfortunate word. Are the community, who like realism, allowed to criticise FP: DR if it totes the OFP name, yet, for example, you can be hit in the head and only bleed badly?

Also present in ArmA 2:

Why does the history between Bohemia and Codemasters even come into this conversation? If you believe that BIS was the entire reason the original OFP was a great game then you more naive than I would have ever imagined for a group of "seasoned gamers' like yourselves.

Perhaps "entire" is generous, I'll acquiesce to 99.4% the reason why the original Flashpoint was a great game.

Perhaps "entire" is generous, I'll acquiesce to 99.4% the reason why the original Flashpoint was a great game.

A collaboration is not about the size of the role, every part has it's place. The development and sales of a game is no different than an engine. There several parts that have to come together in order to work. OFP was no different, Bohemia did provide the larger portion I am sure but at that time OFP was in the pitch phase, could BIS produced the game alone?

I don't want to draw this out to a long post. The point I wanted to make in this reply is at that time would we have ever had the opportunity to play OFP had CM not been involved? I really don't know, but what I do know is when they released the original, I was happy they did.

In business things change, we don't know why things change. But at the end of the day, CM and BIS are in business to make money, and decisions are made with that in mind.

The only gripe I have against OFP-DR is the trick CM is playing on customers about the name for a game that technically has nothing to do with the original game of the same name, trick which is sadly working most of the time. It's like they can't be honest themselves with their customers....

Also present in ArmA 2:

Hmm not good, still is it anything to do with difficulty settings or low pistol damage bugs?

Will FP: DR have one hit headshots for the player on 'hardcore'? As far as I know (I could be wrong,) hardcore mode doesn't change the amount of hits the player can take in the head. Obviously things are subject to change.

Anyway, this criticism is merely a manifestation of wider disappointments with DR.

Surely all the development was made by BIS, but the numbers they achieved can partly be attributed to CM's sales machine. And without all those numbers there wouldn't have been economical feasible to patch it up. Let's not forget that it required a ton of patches to reach awesomeness.

Also without the numbers, there wouldn't be so many skilled modders keeping it alive either. Even though you have a great product, there are other mechanics necessary to get the investment returned. That being said, I wouldn't say that it's thanks to CM that OFP was great but they played a small but important role. Personally I think the current solution with a myriad of different distributors and different launch times are stupid and confusing, not to mention the period it was released in. I think that if CM or another publisher like them, where behind Arma - they would easily achieve better (sales) numbers but that is obviously speculation.

Bohemia did provide the larger portion I am sure but at that time OFP was in the pitch phase, could BIS produced the game alone?

Have you actually read up on the history and making of Flashpoint or are you just guesspeculating? Because if you knew the history you'll know Flashpoint was signed to a publisher and virtually complete before the publisher was bought out by another, Flashpoint dropped, then Codemasters stepped in to pick up a virtually complete title for publication.

What does ARMA 2 have that Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising doesn't?

mouselag.

Edited by Leopardi

What does ARMA 2 have that Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising doesn't?

mouselag.

Untrue. I've been moving my mouse the whole day and I'm yet to see my OFDR soldier move his gun on my screen.....

:)

What does ARMA 2 have that Operation Flashpoint 2 doesn't?

Arma 2 has ....BUGS.....

that maybe OFP 2 will not have.

To Placebo: just play the whole campaign, arriving at the last 2/3 missions, and tell us what you think...

Note: by the way ArmA 2 is a great game. The AI is impressive. I really like it.

Mission: "Manhattan" (mark: 10/10) and "Bitter Chill" (mark: 9/10) are really impressive missions. Top quality. The best I have ever seen in a war/rpg game.

But unfortunately bugs (such as AI non responsive in the last missions), dequalify Bohemia in general as top mission programmers... (it is my personal opinion).

Edited by eirulan

Note: by the way ArmA 2 is a great game. The AI is impressive. I really like it.

It seems very nice, like the game of your dreams in videos and screenshots. But then, when you play and realize its impossible to keep FPS above 100 for normal mouse movement, all you wanna do is close the game and uninstall.

Untrue. I've been moving my mouse the whole day and I'm yet to see my OFDR soldier move his gun on my screen.....

:)

Owned. :rofl:

Arma 2 has ....BUGS.....

that maybe OFP will not have.

It also works the other way around, so they pretty much cancel eachother out in this regard...

It seems very nice, like the game of your dreams in videos and screenshots. But then, when you play and realize its impossible to keep FPS above 100 for normal mouse movement, all you wanna do is close the game and uninstall.

This is a little exagerated.

If you can't properly handle the mouse then simply tweak the options until you get a satisfying result.

No need to choose between black and white, just make a little breath and try to figure out what you call 'lag', and there are many people around who can help you in these regards.

Regards,

TB

Every software has bugs, at the end of the day it's down to personal taste the whole "which is better?" discussion that often crops up is utterly ambiguous.

One man's ideal game may well be another mans nitemare.

This is a little exagerated.

a "little"? lol you're too kind :D

One man's ideal game may well be another mans nitemare

I have no room for this in my signature, but these boards moderators seem to be in a good shape these days.

Regards,

TB

I have no room for this in my signature, but these boards moderators seem to be in a good shape these days.

Regards,

TB

Hah my wife says I need to lose weight ;)

Have you actually read up on the history and making of Flashpoint or are you just guesspeculating? Because if you knew the history you'll know Flashpoint was signed to a publisher and virtually complete before the publisher was bought out by another, Flashpoint dropped, then Codemasters stepped in to pick up a virtually complete title for publication.

Are you aware that doesn't matter? The fact is the did not do it alone, it doesn't matter how small the role may seem to you, CM still played a role in the games release. Like I mentioned before it does not matter to me one way or the other who makes it or what the name of the game is, you can name it Fluffy Bunny Killers for all I care.

And no I am not a historian on OFP. However I do know it was a collaborative effort between several companies and not by one company alone. I know business and how it works. I work for one of the largest corporations in the world, but I am well aware that we could be bought and paid for tomorrow, and the product we worked to develop and perfect could be sold as theirs. That is business my friend, like it or not.

But you should really ask yourself, would OFP had been released if EA Or the likes had bought the rights to the game? Who knows? Like I said it does not matter. A name is no more than that. I bought Arma 2 for no other reason than the fact it is a great game, not because it was tied to OFP or BIS.

Hmm not good, still is it anything to do with difficulty settings or low pistol damage bugs?

Will FP: DR have one hit headshots for the player on 'hardcore'? As far as I know (I could be wrong,) hardcore mode doesn't change the amount of hits the player can take in the head. Obviously things are subject to change.

Anyway, this criticism is merely a manifestation of wider disappointments with DR.

Even if, the magickal healing is present at all difficulty settings.

The failure of ARMA or OFP series would directly affect the other, as we are the lone survivors of a genre. The success of ARMA and ARMA 2 will force CM to compete, while the games may not be the same in every aspect does not matter. If they can appeal to the fan base (all of us) then the success of each company will force the other to make a better game. When you have a small niche market or small fan base in comparison you are less likely to get the investments/funding a company needs to develop a game. That is why I think we should stop the ignorant feuding and support the community, not the community of OFP2 or ARMA 2, but the community of realistic tactical shooters.

Wrong, CM would NOT want to compete with BIS. As we all know BIS have trouble surviving on the gains from the OFP/ArmA franchise as it is. Otherwise they'd never had to release ArmA in the first place, and especially not the cheaply made expansion to it, just to keep the money flowing so that they could finish the actual 'Game 2' (ArmA2).

If CM and BIS were to try to share that money neither of them would profit enough on the game-making. (not everyone can afford both, or would buy both even if they could afford it)

Also, as by looking at most the stuff produced by CM the last years, they lack integrity and wish to make something unique. They make whatever gives the most profit. BIS on the other hand really strive to make a unique game and keeping their integrity, merely limited by their budget.

I'm 100% sure that CM will earn crap-tons more money on OFP: DR than BIS will make on ArmA2, but I can with 100% certainty say that OFP: DR to me lacks the soul and spirit to make it a long lasting game, and thus I won't pay a cent for it, since I only spend my money on games I can imagine playing for years, and not only for a couple of months.

Edited by Inkompetent

To add something to the discussion, it will be interesting to see which product is more modd-able

ArmA2 will naturally inherit all of the mod teams and mission makers from previous incarnations.

OFP2: DR no idea to be honest

Even if, the magickal healing is present at all difficulty settings.

??? errr??? CoD-like magical healing in OFP-DR? Sure of this one?