Sign in to follow this  
bloodbomb

What does ARMA 2 have that Operation Flashpoint 2 doesn't?

If Operation Flashpoint 2 comes out in a perfectly playable state, ARMA2 and it's sequels can go screw themselves, as long as they keep pushing this outdated engine with it's same bugs again and again transcended into each new version / expansion of it.

How many times do you think you will get away with it? It's a buggy piece of crap to be blunt. The graphics are excellent, the gameplay is great, but you spoil it all with sound issues, clipping, enemies seeing through things, scripts not triggering, CTD's, poor performance on high end machines and so on.

Go and have a whinge, because your whinging at the truth.

... sound issues, clipping, enemies seeing through things, scripts not triggering, CTD's, poor performance on high end machines and so on...

Funny, I've experienced none of those, except maybe the enemies seeing through things. Nothing that can't be fixed in time for the release of "Operation Arcadepoint 2: Call of Battlefield Rising". Now go troll somewhere else. Your ignorance bores me.

If Operation Flashpoint 2 comes out in a perfectly playable state, ARMA2 and it's sequels can go screw themselves, as long as they keep pushing this outdated engine with it's same bugs again and again transcended into each new version / expansion of it.

How many times do you think you will get away with it? It's a buggy piece of crap to be blunt. The graphics are excellent, the gameplay is great, but you spoil it all with sound issues, clipping, enemies seeing through things, scripts not triggering, CTD's, poor performance on high end machines and so on.

Go and have a whinge, because your whinging at the truth.

OP2 will have regen health, kill cams and will take up to a whole magazine to kill someone :)

i dont care how polish it is but with those things in the game it will be a pile of turd

Dragon Rising will be Fantastic..........for all those who have posted here with Couch boxes, your game will look fantastic on Consoles as it is marketed for Consoles.

Your Dragon Rising Pc experience will only be utilised affectively for the continued CM flaming and Red Barrel discussions. If this upsets please Lean on me:cool:

OP2 will have regen health, kill cams and will take up to a whole magazine to kill someone :)

i dont care how polish it is but with those things in the game it will be a pile of turd

Actually, hardcore mode has none of that, if you weren't so bias and read up on things before you mouthed off about them you would know this.

I was as adamant about ARMA2 as you guys are. But with the performance on high end machines and the bugs I mentioned it's as much of a turd as ARMA 1 was.

Sorry that I have an opinion, but of course I'll be called a fucking troll for posting that here. Do I care? Not one bit.

The reason most people are accused of being trolls is due to how they come off with their statements. A calm, less aggressive comment is going to get a less aggressive response.

Similar to "I downloaded Arma2 but I am having higher hopes in DR due to a bad experience on my high end PC" Vs "I think DR is going to mop the floor with Arma2 because of its crappy performance issues."

Edited by NodUnit

26/06 - FGM-148 Javelin FLIR Screen at operationflashpoint2.info

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362441

FGM-148 Javelin FLIR Screen

Javelin launch interface is excellent. Something similar was already present in ArmA through modding.

The white-black vision though...doesnt seem nothing special...but im not an expert on the subject.

The reason most people are accused of being trolls is due to how they come off with their statements. A calm, less aggressive comment is going to get a less aggressive response.

Similar to "I downloaded Arma2 but I am having higher hopes in DR due to a bad experience on my high end PC" Vs "I think DR is going to mop the floor with Arma2 because of its crappy performance issues."

Indeed, nice post m8, arma 2 is awesome in the the right pc, best atmosphere ive seen since shenmue on dreamcast, i used to spend days walking around on shenmue, now i love riding my motorbike and flying jet around the island, only prob i have is stuttering when game first loads other than that im getting nice fps 50+ silky smooth with i7920/gtx285, and when you flying a jet over the island and seeing that view, then you know this is g.o.t.y quality, well done bis.

The graphics are excellent, the gameplay is great
is enough for me ;)

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

The white-black vision though...doesnt seem nothing special...but im not an expert on the subject.

It is special because the tank (ie hot object) seems to be glowing while the surrounding don't. Meaning it's not a simple redrawn normal screen through shaders like ArmA2 does, but something targetting specifically hot objects. Ie, a true FLIR

It is special because the tank (ie hot object) seems to be glowing while the surrounding don't. Meaning it's not a simple redrawn normal screen through shaders like ArmA2 does, but something targetting specifically hot objects. Ie, a true FLIR

I said it was nothing special because it really is not that hard to build, believe me. Now you will ask me, if it is so easy, why didnt BIS make it in ArmA2? My answer, don't ask me...

Also why aren't do the tracks and cannon of the tank white? To me, it seems it is still not finished.

It is still miles above ArmA2 FLIR ;)

Only professionals can get working FLIR over Virtual Reality :)

That looks pretty awesome. Nice implementation of FLIR :).

Makes me wonder why they don't put something simple like that into Arma2. I mean, can it be that hard? From what I understand, all you need to do is:

- draw the scene in black and white

- without shadows if possible

- lower the contrast

- give all entities of type man or animal a white glow if alive=true

- give all entities of type vehicle a white glow if engineOn=true

Did I miss something?

EDIT: Oh, and all self-illuminating particles should have exaggerated glow aswell.

Actually, hardcore mode has none of that, if you weren't so bias and read up on things before you mouthed off about them you would know this.

I was as adamant about ARMA2 as you guys are. But with the performance on high end machines and the bugs I mentioned it's as much of a turd as ARMA 1 was.

Sorry that I have an opinion, but of course I'll be called a fucking troll for posting that here. Do I care? Not one bit.

Lol fuck i was kidding when i said all those things yet it seems it does have those features and only on hardcore mode it doesnt? LOL jesus. look at COD4. hardly anyone plays on hardcore mode LOL

Edited by jonneymendoza

Looks very good.

But all thise functions only for Javelin Launcher are a problem for the developers:

The game will explode if you implement every function avlible for every single weapon. And the game will look poor if you program to less features& functions.

The M16A2:

- I wannt a option to change the sights (Aimpoit, steel, 4X Optics)

- sight adjustment

- the M16 bajonet and some cool hitting moves :cool:

- Ability to camuflage weapon

- Ability to change the magzine types

- A laserpoint and other attachments (like a flashlight)

And that for all of 35? ArmA 2 weapons? The BIs would make only guns for years. And vehicles? Jeeps & Tanks have a lot of extra functions and content.

Codemasters are in defencive position for now - they have to make their game significantly better than ArmA 2.

If they release bug-free they won for the 50% of the ArmA 2 angry people.

Edited by Volhv

It is still miles above ArmA2 FLIR ;)

Only professionals can get working FLIR over Virtual Reality :)

That's true, but COD4 had already a mission featuring FLIR, and that just put OFPDR on the same league of COD4

Talking about this CM development should be a consern only for EA or UBIsoft as it poses a treat only to arcadey FPS

oranges and apples people, oranges and apples

Operation Flashpoint 2 isn't even out yet and here's already all these comparisions between the two games? I'm probably going to buy both. I have high hopes about this newer engine Flashpoint seems to have.

But I won't start comparing the games until I've actually played them both. Arma 2 kinda bug-ladden and I would'be been quite willing to wait longer. I was happy to buy it at a high price, but the official missions are giving me a headache these days.

I said it was nothing special because it really is not that hard to build, believe me. Now you will ask me, if it is so easy, why didnt BIS make it in ArmA2? My answer, don't ask me...

Also why aren't do the tracks and cannon of the tank white? To me, it seems it is still not finished.

They did, with the UAV. For some reason alot of people don't think this is accurate representation of FLIR atleast 1st gen, not 2nd gen. Yet if you compare the imagery ingame to real FLIR imagery the two do not differ that much. As to why they didn't use it on helicopters and armor I do not know, perhaps they wanted to keep it 'hidden' to an extent.

http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/army/tradoc/usaic/mipb/1998-1/p34flir.jpg

http://www.eagle3.org/about_eagle3/flir/FLIR_4.jpg

http://arlingtoncardinal.blogharbor.com/2008Articles/SanDiegoFLIR1.jpg

Anyway's DR's FLIR is a good start but there is still quite a few things to work on, right now the tank isn't too varied in heat signature but more then that the surrounding scenery isn't displaying any variation.

I like it but there is still more to but I trust the dev's know this and simply wanted to get a quick WIP image out to show that they ARE working on it.

And dave, the original Ghost Recon was AWESOME! then they raped the shit out of it :(

The original Ghost Recon was nothing but a dumbed-down Rogue Spear placed in open fields. GR1 didn't even have teams of hostiles. Every soldier was off by himself, thinking as nothing more than an individual.

GR1 was garbage that stole lots of sales that should have gone to OFP:CWC.

To say that OFP2 is looking like GR1 is a HUGE turn-off, for me. Why it should look like the excellent SWAT 4, I don't know, since that is a claustrophobic CQB tactical-shooter.

From what Ive seen of the Flaspoint 2 vids theres little to no point in comparing the two games. I loved the original OpFlash, loved Arma and so far Im really enjoying Arma 2.

Im willing to give Flashpoint 2 a look but I wont be expecting any realism from it after seeing the vid where the player is shot IN THE HEAD but is able to wirte it off as being nothing serious and patch himself up.

With that and the rest of the vids to go on im expecting more of an open world Call of Duty style experience, I dont for one minute think it will be bad, just different in an arcadey/accessible way. I just wish they hadnt taken the Flashpoint name for a game that bears so little resemblence to my favourite PC game of all time.

actually i read the thread where the developer talks about hardcore mode , and the only thing it does is gets rid of the hud elements in the game

even for stuff you need

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

The original Ghost Recon was nothing but a dumbed-down Rogue Spear placed in open fields. GR1 didn't even have teams of hostiles. Every soldier was off by himself, thinking as nothing more than an individual.

To say that OFP2 is looking like GR1 is a HUGE turn-off, for me. Why it should look like the excellent SWAT 4, I don't know, since that is a claustrophobic CQB tactical-shooter.

ghost recon was a great game

:icon_bash: BiS products aren't the centre of the world, Ghost Recon was a really good tactical shooter as Rainbow Six, a shame to see how it turned to casual aaa shit. Thanks to Ubisoft.

The FLIR is doable with BIS Real Virtuality engine, of course, it won't match the real thingie at 100% but it is doable.

OFP 2 DR having this per default is not sufficient to deserve the label of 'Realistic Game' or 'Simulation' or call it whatever you want.

Just get a look at the last videos of OFP 2 DR, listnen carefully to the comments, observe every little detail there and then make your own conclusion about the product (Even if it is still in an early status).

With a pinch of common sense, you will yourself notice that this game is at ten thousand miles from reaching ArmA II realism and level of authenticity.

This doesn't mean it is not an enjoyable game, but Realism and OFP 2 DR are 2 things different.

Regards,

TB

Have to say the FLIR and javelin interface is nice in DR. No doubt. Hopefully BIS can make more effort into our own later on.

Still seems like DR is a BF2 run'n'gun with some realistic bits here and there. And that still doesnt do it for me. Fast paced with realistic bits doesnt speak to me even though it will be a wow factor over it at first. Games that didnt give me wow from start usually developed into a long term relationship (love/hate with more love than hate) like BIS series. Games that gave me wow from start usually was dumped in the trashcan after a while.

Hope they make DR slower and tactical but i cant see that happening. Its supposed to appeal to the masses - where the cash is so they can get all their spent money back. And that will not work on me. Long time since it did.

:icon_bash: BiS products aren't the centre of the world, Ghost Recon was a really good tactical shooter as Rainbow Six, a shame to see how it turned to casual aaa shit. Thanks to Ubisoft.

Ever played EA's "SEAL Team"? If not, don't presume to engage in phallus-measuring with me over what constitutes a good tac-shooter. GR1 only did as well as it did because it had Tom Clancy's name on it and Li C. Kuo of PC Gamer U.S.A. heaped mountains of praise upon it because of that magazine's long-standing relationship with Red Storm Entertainment. (Ever play the PC Gamer official map made for Rainbow Six 1? Can you name any other official maps RSE made for anyone else for R61?)

So "strange" that PC Gamer UK LOVED OFP:CWC. What is in the water between the two continents?

GR was absolute garbage. But hey, if you like enemy A.I. that stands upright, all by itself, mimicking trees, go for it. The ONLY things that game had going for it was that you could shoot through corners on indoor walls and the A.I. would use suppressive fire. If you played "Sum of All Fears", that was actually better-suited for the engine, because the maps were indoors, a return to the Rogue Spear design on which it was based.

Oh, and there's nothing quite as fun as getting hit by a bullet and being unable to return fire until the EXACT instant that the enemy A.I. decides to shoot you, again, and again, until you die. GARBAGE!

You couldn't pay me to play that rubbish.