Sign in to follow this  
bloodbomb

What does ARMA 2 have that Operation Flashpoint 2 doesn't?

Are you serious? Where did you hear that? That's terrible.

I'm pretty sure it's just fixed wing aircraft. So choppers and that are OK, but planes are a no-go.

Arma2 has an open topic on what is the difference and OpFlash2 dosnt have an open topic on what is the difference, it got closed. THATS TEH DIFFERNCE!@

Because BIS already knows what the content of said topic will be

"DEATH TO INFIDELS AT CODEMASTERS, BURN OFP:DR, THE GAME IS BLASPHEMY", etc etc :D, along with a few OFP:DR trolls and some moderate posts like the ones i made myself. BIS have nothing to loose on keeping the topic open.

I'm pretty sure it's just fixed wing aircraft. So choppers and that are OK, but planes are a no-go.

Yep thats what I heard, I also heard that the tanks and choppers where AI controlled, but that was mentioned with a clip so it could be specific to that clip (ie: "in this video choppers and tanks are AI controlled") and not just generally in the whole game (which would suck).

As for limb dismemberment that everyone seems to be getting all excitable about, well personally I dont really care if its in there or not. Can be amusing I guess...its not really realistic though. I work in game design (RPGs not video games) and have studied the effects of weapons thoroughly, including watching many hours of real footage (of which there is never any dismemberment, people get exploded yes but not limbs removed). Also I have talked in depth with a USMC armorer and he said even .50 cals dont explode peoples heads or cut off arms...some explosives will blow your foot or leg off but silly gibbing never really happens, even with an Apaches .30 chaingun

Because BIS already knows what the content of said topic will be

"DEATH TO INFIDELS AT CODEMASTERS, BURN OFP:DR, THE GAME IS BLASPHEMY", etc etc :D, along with a few OFP:DR trolls and some moderate posts like the ones i made myself. BIS have nothing to loose on keeping the topic open.

That's unfair, this forum has a lot of "nasty" topics that don't get closed just for being nasty. It's not how this forum works in my opinion.

Topics do get closed for being nasty for the sake of being nasty.

Or for being duplicates or for going offtopic or for going agains forum rules.

"You cannot say anything bad about our games" is not a forum rule at all as far as I've seen (for 8 years now).

Aww dotted got...what he richly deserved... :) This thread has certainly run the gauntlet; from originally well intended posts of BI Fans making an honest effort to offer what I believe were sincere answers to the topic posters question, to constantly being provoked by Trolls like dotted and others who's sole mission on these forums appears to be to push people's buttons.

I'd be interested to learn if the original poster BloodBomb was really sincere... This was your first of only seven posts to the BI forums BloodBomb; were/are you seriously conflicted about which game to buy? Can you really only afford one of the two games in the four months intervening their releases? Are you really that confused about the differences between the two games?

I'm not suggesting you are not sincere -- just in retrospect your topic post seems a rather naive, or like a setup for where a lot of this went. Assuming the best and that your intentions where good and honest, and that you are so poor you can only possibly afford one game (god knows how you'll actually be able to afford to play it): What's the disposition of your decision, and what was decisive in making up your mind?

:confused:

Edited by Hoak

HOAK

WTF you cant have a go at someone for making a thread on which game to get, he might be like an immigrant coming to europe for a week and wonderin if ARMA 2 or DR is better (not making assumptions)

Anyway i think i might get both coz i dont want to compare Arma 2 and DR coz the are totally different

Arma 2 realistic mil_sim for those days when you sit down and do some hardcore tactics

OFP:DR fps mil sim for havin a laugh with mates when you dismember somebody with a sniper from 1000m or co-op with artillery and flattening the map

the comparsion is OFP:DR and BFBC2 they are against each other the only reason people are comparing ARMA 2 and OFP:DR i because of the history of the companies

ARMA is a totally different genre its closest rival imo is someting like GRAW or SOCOM

If i'd want to speculate i'd try a weather forecast, for the next 25 years :confused:

WTF you cant have a go at someone for making a thread on which game to get, he might be like an immigrant coming to europe for a week and wonderin if ARMA 2 or DR is better (not making assumptions)

Anyway i think i might get both coz i dont want to compare Arma 2 and DR coz the are totally different

Arma 2 realistic mil_sim for those days when you sit down and do some hardcore tactics

OFP:DR fps mil sim for havin a laugh with mates when you dismember somebody with a sniper from 1000m or co-op with artillery and flattening the map

the comparsion is OFP:DR and BFBC2 they are against each other the only reason people are comparing ARMA 2 and OFP:DR i because of the history of the companies

ARMA is a totally different genre its closest rival imo is someting like GRAW or SOCOM

Can anyone translate what he said to English?

Can anyone translate what he said to English?

Translation:The following is a translation and does not represent my views.

What teh ef, you can't have a go at someone for making a thread on which game to get, immigrants in Europe are bad mmkay.

I'm getting both games because one is fun and one is tactical

The true comparison is between Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising and Battlefield Bad Company 2 because they are against each other (Not sure how that works) and ArmA 2 and OFP:DR are only compared because of the history between companies.

Edited by usmc123

What teh ef, you can't have a go at someone for making a thread on which game to get, immigrants in Europe are bad mmkay.

I'm getting both games because one is fun and one is tactical

The true comparison is between Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising and Battlefield Bad Company 2 because they are against each other (Not sure how that works) and ArmA 2 and OFP:DR are only compared because of the history between companies.

if thats the case, then ill be getting DR over BC2 after the sheer patheticness that was BF2...realistic my arse ( fires of a 3round burst with a SAW at point blank range and watches as every round just missed the insergent.)

if thats the case, then ill be getting DR over BC2 after the sheer patheticness that was BF2...realistic my arse ( fires of a 3round burst with a SAW at point blank range and watches as every round just missed the insergent.)
I was translating a post by the way, those don't represent my views :D

Well, for a start, the most important point, which has been raised already I think, is that ArmA II is much better.

But seriously, they're not even really comparable, CM keep promising "realism" and all that, but have failed to show anything other than "easy" mode. Some have taken that as a good thing, I on the other hand, think, "why would they show us that if they're making a realistic game?" It's like advertising apples when you're selling planes ... or ... something like that ...

Of course, all we've seen so far is WIP stuff, but the thing is, not even ArmAII has changed all that much in the last year, and it has improved dramatically. OFP will be released and it will pretty much be what we've just seen on that video: CoD-styled trash, and this time the gymmic is "open world warfare". Why do they try to sell realism when they're selling arcade?

I think it has to do with psychology: people like the idea of realism, but when it comes down to it they don't want to play a realistic game.

As for the notion that "ArmA fanbois" (lol) don't want competition ... IS there any? OFP isn't any, not in it's current state at least, and with Clive off to Crytek it doesn't look likely. I checked out America's Army 3 before, and it looks like a strange cross of BF2 and OFP : DR ... and source, which is, excuse my French, f*****d. So, I honestly don't think ArmA has much competition, there simply isn't another game that offers what it does ... wait, no, there are a few of those actually, let me re-word that.

There are no games that DELIVER what ArmA does.

... and now ...

"Codemasters don't exactly have a track record of screwing up their games."

One word: "LOooooooooooooollllllllll ...."

What about GRID? DIRT? Realism? They always go half half, but choose the worst parts of both, eg, arcade handling, simplicity etc, while choosing to have restrictions like car "classes" and the like.

+ wow, reading that line it could actually pass as some epic sarcasm :D Complete with an outburst of laughing at the end!

Edited by LJF

I think it has to do with psychology: people like the idea of realism, but when it comes down to it they don't want to play a realistic game.

Sounds about right. Ive heard some younger players say to me that Gran Tourismo 5 is a real simulator, and when i said why do you think that? They replied "well the answer is in the title wich is -The real race simulator-". And they also said that because there is "licensed" cars in the game it must be real (that the cars look like the real cars".

I think its safe to say that it is not a simulator in the correct term. At least i didnt think that when i tested it. Live For Speed feels much realer to me and i drive cars in RL.

Alex

The true comparison is between Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising and Battlefield Bad Company 2 because they are against each other (Not sure how that works)

It like go over here in this free world destroy the f**k out of this crap enemy base that has no protectition get shot abit apply first aid whilst runnin away then steal vehicle go to next objective

thats the comparison i made :)

I'd be interested to learn if the original poster BloodBomb was really sincere... This was your first of only seven posts to the BI forums BloodBomb; were/are you seriously conflicted about which game to buy? Can you really only afford one of the two games in the four months intervening their releases? Are you really that confused about the differences between the two games?

I'm not suggesting you are not sincere -- just in retrospect your topic post seems a rather naive, or like a setup for where a lot of this went. Assuming the best and that your intentions where good and honest, and that you are so poor you can only possibly afford one game (god knows how you'll actually be able to afford to play it): What's the disposition of your decision, and what was decisive in making up your mind?

So.... basically your saying I'm trying to bait people into a flame thread?

I used my own brain first to formulate an idea, then I went to both Arma and DR forums and posted the same question (except reversed) in an attempt to get a feel for both games through their communities. I like to research something before I buy it, and I wanted to get some opinions (of which, amongst the bs, I actually got a lot of good info that has helped me form my opinion).

I don't really want to buy both. I don't buy many games. Video games cost 100 dollars. To me that is actually quite a lot of money, maybe not to you, but to me I don't just have that handy. One game will be better, and more suited to me. Thats the game that will get my hard earned cash. I can't afford to just buy every game that comes out like some people I know. If I saved up hardcore maybe I could buy both, but why would I? Games don't get my interest by default man, they have to prove to me they are worth investing in. God knows how I will be able to afford to play it? Why is it an MMORPG? Do I have to play per month to play or something?

"What's the disposition of your decision, and what was decisive in making up your mind?" What kind of question is this? I wanted to know a little bit more about each game so I asked. Upon learning the answers I realised that ArmA was the true incarnation of Operation Flashpoint and therefore the more realistic, so that was the game for me. That simple.

Fair enough, and I appreciate your position more then you can know. As it's now official there will be demos for both games, you'll actually be able to make more of a first hand empirical comparison which should give you some peace of mind.

:)

Why should I choose ArmA2 over Operation Flashpoint 2? What does it have that Flashpoint2 doesn't?.

Right now? Shelf space.

Upon learning the answers I realised that ArmA was the true incarnation of Operation Flashpoint and therefore the more realistic, so that was the game for me.

Sorry to sound rude... but anyone with half a brain can make an educated guess about wich game will be "the true incarnation":

1) ArmA II - made by the DEVELOPERS of the OFP/ArmA series with the same but upgraded version of the unique military simulation engine going more than decade without any real competition on the market.

2) OFP: DR - PUBLISHERS of OFP with totaly another team and engine trying to make the first attempt using name and ideas "borrowed" from BI Studio.

Edited by Calradian

Nothing but pointless speculation in here, one game has been released (sorta) and the other has not, can't really compare them.

And dave, the original Ghost Recon was AWESOME! then they raped the shit out of it :(

I totally AGREE!!! It's hard to say what exactly makes them different when we haven't even tried the OFP2 demo and hardly saw the OFP2 ingame material. Arma2 is definitely the most amazing looking and sounding game. One big "minus" for Arma2 is the lack of comprehensive physics engine - which is replaced by animations. Arma2 is OFP1 on steroids, almost like FFUR OFP1 mod with great sounds. But there is still tank flying and flipping going on in A2 from just rolling over a small unfortunate geometry. Again it's all side-effects of infantile physics engine in A2 that hasn't changed since OFP1 days.

I believe the advanced physics will be what will give OFP2 its distinct flavor, plus ALL architecture in OFP2 world will be enterable and destructable. CM stated explicitely that in OFP2 gameworld they haven't created a single building/structure that cannot be entered.

But here is one point - in the last 9 years i tried many games and I forgot about them, they come and go. But I still come back to OFP/ArmA and have a blast everytime. There are always new mods and addons. It does have its own distinct spirit - you just like or not.

So far all the videos of OFP2 we saw were, correct me if I'm wrong, captured from the console version. They showed the easy mode purely out of marketing/PR consideration trying to lure the wider console players audience. However also considering what they stated and the ppl that got a chance to test play it, OFP2 will have highly-scalable difficulty settings which will allow to reduce the interface and arcadishness of the gameplay to the hard-core level much like Arma1-2. Agree, the minimalistic hard-core mode is very hard to sell to a crowd of console dudes. But honestly I have mixed feelings about OFP2, it does look like BF2.

I just found out another interesting point about OFP2 that should give you a very clear indication of what "kinda" game it will be. GET THIS, OFP2 WILL(!!!) NOT have the LEANING option! I think CM just outdone themselves! I think they just completely alienated the entire OFP/ARMA base that was somewhat interested in checking it out.

:yay:

Sorry to sound rude... but anyone with half a brain can make an educated guess about wich game will be "the true incarnation":

...unless you didnt know anything about the history of the games *gasp* then you have to ask. And also, anyone with half a brain knows how to spell "which" for the record.

Fair enough, and I appreciate your position more then you can know. As it's now official there will be demos for both games, you'll actually be able to make more of a first hand empirical comparison which should give you some peace of mind.

:)

Cool, looking forward to checking em out!

...unless you didnt know anything about the history of the games *gasp* then you have to ask.

Wrong... you do some basic research and if got interested enough - google the gaming media, browse official forums and search for answers. If all that fail - then you ask. My point being - RTFM/do you research and stop making useless threads :mad: Problem is - most people do things the right way only if they have to...

Offtopic:

And also, anyone with half a brain knows how to spell "which" for the record.
...unless english isn't 1st language and more importantly it's typed on a non-linguistic-related forum on the internet - where mature people usually discuss the topic not the spelling of each other.

Goddamn Calradian, why on Blood's nuts so much? Especially for being your first two posts.