Sign in to follow this  
Areon

Mod to disable Motion Blur and Running Blur very needed

Hello to everyone!

Please, can you make a simple graphics mod that will:

a)
Disable Motion Blur in Arma2. It’s rather strange effect that slows down the performance and causes eye and headache to some people. Moreover, it makes aiming and moving camera less accurate.

b)
Disable Running Blur effect – when player is running and some time after stopping, the huge blur occurs automatically. It is similar to fillrate decreasing, looks really uncomfortably and makes it difficult to orient in the environment, aim and so on.

Another annoying effect – automatically enabled blur when aiming (zooming) through scope or when sitting in tank and using its optics – has already been fixed: http://rapidshare.com/files/240600497/at_optics_cleaner.pbo (posted in forums before, but I can't confirm does ir really working, because using my own mod with repacked Ca.pbo and modified config.bin there, where all those optics color corrections removed also).

Now we need to cope with the a) and b) problems.. Thanks!

Edited by Areon

I think you will find more people here consider those "features" and not "problems". The motion blur and other effects are wonderful. They add a great sense of immersion to it. The head bobbing was a little extreme and I turned mine down a little in the options. I do agree that it would be better for some people with low-end systems to have the option to turn those kinds of things off.

I hear my friend say also that after running there is a couple of seconds with the look of fillrate lower than 100%. This i think have to be fixed by BIS in a patch since it dosent at least sound like a feature? Motion blur around the screen when moving is one thing, but the whole screen "blurs out" for a moment after stopping seems to be a bug.

Scopes having some optics feeling... why wanna remove that? sounds awesome to me. Havent seen it yet apart from screens but i always wanted optics effects wich we didnt have in ArmA1. just a "hole" looking at the normal "eye" view wich was a bit bad.

Hope you get your anti-blur addons though. but they are not for me. ;)

Alex

We really need a mod to remove those blurs, before BIS will manage to add such option..

As for weapon zooming blur, for example, for sniper rifles - it reduces fps approx. 2 times from normal, especially if you are aiming at trees or at houses, even on high-end systems it is so.

We already have a zooming blur disabler, now we need motion blur and running blur disablers. Really need.

Try the PostProcessing settings, or try the 'overall settings' setting on 'Low' (just for trying!).

According to tests in our group, there are bugs that cause blurred images on some ppl's computers, but go away with the above settings.

Linking this thread to kju, sounds like a PROPER mod release ;)

Try the PostProcessing settings, or try the 'overall settings' setting on 'Low' (just for trying!).

According to tests in our group, there are bugs that cause blurred images on some ppl's computers, but go away with the above settings.

Linking this thread to kju, sounds like a PROPER mod release ;)

Best post procesing option is really "Low", in this case you can see what is going around, identify every enemy and aim accurate. But this option doesnt help to remove motion blur and running blur.

It could be modded by mod only :)

@Areon: Also in ArmA1 the fps goes down when going scopemode. At least when there is vegetation in the view - wich i would guess are true 90% of the time. ofcourse i dont know yet how it is in ARMA2, but it sounds the same like in ArmA1 with lowered performance during optics.

Alex

72;1297544']@Areon: Also in ArmA1 the fps goes down when going scopemode. At least when there is vegetation in the view - wich i would guess are true 90% of the time. ofcourse i dont know yet how it is in ARMA2' date=' but it sounds the same like in ArmA1 with lowered performance during optics.

Alex[/quote']

Turning zooming blur off helps to gain a lot of perfomance in ArmA 2.

I think somebody reported that by Deactivating Nvidia vsync in Windows video options he got rid of the running blur. Not sure though, cause it's not really related. Maybe deactivating AA in any form would also work. Haven't tried myself yet.

)rStrangelove;1297625']I think somebody reported that by Deactivating Nvidia vsync in Windows video options he got rid of the running blur. Not sure though' date=' cause it's not really related. Maybe deactivating AA in any form would also work. Haven't tried myself yet.[/quote']

Nope doesnt work mate, I have v-sync disabled and still get blur...

Headbobing lowered should result in lower blur. Also, make sure you have decent fps - blur is bigger whenever your fps drop to mask weakness of your system, and make game smooth.

If you have problems with motion blur, it does mean you have problem with FPS.

Headbobing lowered should result in lower blur. Also, make sure you have decent fps - blur is bigger whenever your fps drop to mask weakness of your system, and make game smooth.

If you have problems with motion blur, it does mean you have problem with FPS.

Head bob is disabled. I have GTX280 with latest beta drivers and Quad Core 3 Ghz, and still I am not satisfied with all those blurs and soaps on the screen sometimes. I have legal version with legal key, so no FADE is active.

Please.. Just make a simple mod :)

You're missing the point. Having powerful rig does not guarantee you a vital fps performance. If you have like 6km viewdistance, and v.high details and additionally high fillrate you will have modest fps count at best. And you won't notice fps drop cause of that motion blur you want to disable.

Thus, if it still does not help it is rather a drivers problem and/or other hardware related pig.

Cheers.

You're missing the point. Having powerful rig does not guarantee you a vital fps performance. If you have like 6km viewdistance, and v.high details and additionally high fillrate you will have modest fps count at best. And you won't notice fps drop cause of that motion blur you want to disable.

Thus, if it still does not help it is rather a drivers problem and/or other hardware related pig.

Cheers.

Overall perfomance is good. I mainly claim not about perfomance, but about annoying effects that need to be modded.

It cant be removed from what i hear its part of the engine effects!

hello all

There seem to be numerous threads relating to this, I too would like eliminate the blur, but it does appear that its tied into the engine and is there as an anti low fps solution, or somesuch thing.

But I have noticed that there is still a lot of post processing stuff happening even when the settings are set to low and i'd happily sacrifice these for a few fps more.

Can it be done? who knows?

Will it be done? I hope so!

At the moment whilst playing Arma2 it feels like more like a Myopic and Drunk Mr Maggoo simulator than a combat sim.

Dont get me wrong, I love the game warts and all just Id like a bit more crispness to my on screen experience.

I'm also willing to accept donations for a decent quad core rig, if anyone wants to oblige? ........no?

rgds

LoK

It cant be removed from what i hear its part of the engine effects!

It must be done through a shader somewhere. If the shader can be changed, the blur can be removed. I doubt they compiled the shader right into the executable. Basically the blur shader should be able to be changed so it just outputs exactly what was passed as in input.

Someone who knows how to tweak Arma shaders just needs to find the motion blur shader.

The blur is good.

but it seems having gfx settings higher than your harder can make it seem overly pronounced.

lowering head bobbing got rid of the nausea feeling (too much head bob).

also tweaking your video card settings helps and the biggest help is making sure your graphics settings are in line with your computer hardware. i hardly notice the blur now and when i do it adds to the immersion of the game.

one big help is going into the arma2 config directory and making sure that your fillrate optimizer is the same as your screen size. that makes certain it is 100% fillrate optimised. then adjust your other gfx settings (ie shadows to normal, everything to normal in fact) then see what a difference it makes.

so many people have said this to help. perhaps try it.

The blur is good.

but it seems having gfx settings higher than your harder can make it seem overly pronounced.

lowering head bobbing got rid of the nausea feeling (too much head bob).

also tweaking your video card settings helps and the biggest help is making sure your graphics settings are in line with your computer hardware. i hardly notice the blur now and when i do it adds to the immersion of the game.

one big help is going into the arma2 config directory and making sure that your fillrate optimizer is the same as your screen size. that makes certain it is 100% fillrate optimised. then adjust your other gfx settings (ie shadows to normal, everything to normal in fact) then see what a difference it makes.

so many people have said this to help. perhaps try it.

The. Blur. Is. Not. Good.

Yes, I have v-sync disabled, and it just lowers that blur effect a tad bit. Not entirely removing it.

Some of the PP effects are really just for show and steal frames from already weaker systems. Like the "TV Monitor Grain" you get in the Abrams commander station when buttoned up.

I too would appreciate any work done towards removing PP effects, since it seems the core engine improvements (AI, Editor, Campaign and so on) have been tied with a pretty overloaded graphics engine, which is a shame.

In fact I'd even vote for a mod that switches the render engine back to A1 looks, but I doupt that is realistic doable.

Hi everybody! :)

My opinion: The Motion Blur, Bloom and Depth of Field is awful, I hope there will be a possibility to disable it in the future (with a patch, settings in config...).

Edited by Cowboy28

it would be very easy to make an addon that kept resetting blur(radial, general and dynamic blur - not motion blur) and film grain (screen noise) to zero at set intervals, but this would probably result in flickery and be a very weak fix (edit; scratch that.. appears i can't affect the effects at all directly)

i personally prefer to have the motion blur, as it does give a smoother feel to it, but i have to agree on most criticism, and even the motionblur should be an option for the player to choose

especially for a game so gpu hungry already

Edited by sholio

My hearts says its a new game, new look, new models, new graphics..... If you like arma1, go back to arma1?? I just think it will take some getting used to.

But my head says its a great idea! Use addons/mods instead of an option to remove.

That way, servers can decided if they want to allow players to remove the motion blur addon, or force them to have blur and make things fair for server that run PVP for example.

I think a lot of people have BAD FPS because they have their graphics set too high, and so the motion blur is high. My FPS is great and so the motion blur is hardly noticable.

Better FPS = Less motion blur

SO

Lower graphics settings = Better FPS = lower blur.

If you love blur lower you fps

Edited by nedley