gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

There have been plenty of games that have mods and they work fine under Steam. Garry's Mod, for example, has an absolute ton of mods and it works in a similar way to Arma in that you place them in the game's directory.

Hi all

ArmA uses MOD folders for MODs. Thus not over writing ArmA files.

Kind Regards walker

There have been plenty of games that have mods and they work fine under Steam. Garry's Mod, for example, has an absolute ton of mods and it works in a similar way to Arma in that you place them in the game's directory.

hmm yeah I've dealt with garys mod and stuff like that, but those mods always seemed to be made to work with steam, maybe I just dunno how it works fully lol..

thanks for the response.

I also remember a lot of times downloading new version betas and stuff, can steam handle that? what if I WANT to try the new version beta.. i'm sure I cant just install it outside of steam..

Hi all

ArmA uses MOD folders for MODs. Thus not over writing ArmA files.

Kind Regards walker

what of patches like I said above?

Actually I'm not sure about patches. Obviously Steam auto-patches your game, but actually I think as long as you can set shortcut parameters in Steam (which you would need for mod folders anyway) you'll be fine - provided BIS will use the same method for Beta patches as before.

This question has been asked many times before, use SEARCH.

Anyone know if the beta testers have said if the game looks ready? Or it it being forced out to early?

Anyone know if the beta testers have said if the game looks ready? Or it it being forced out to early?

Well after the game was released like 2 days later a patch came in and fixed a bunch of stuff.

I've Downloaded it from petergames and am playing a german version right now and i can tell you that the game is very good in the "bug free" wise.

I don't think I've seen any bugs in the game yet. So rest assured that it is a good release.

Even if there are bugs..... BIS will just release another patch to fix it.

This is not like ArmA 1. It's much much better.

Hey guys, how are you doing?

I have to start off with saying that I have never played Arma 1 and while I have played the original operation flashpoint quite alot, I never got into the multiplayer.

Also, I wanted to do a serach to answer these questions, sadly, however, I couldn't find one on these forums, so I signed up to ask them myself.

Anyway, to the inquiries.

Will the Retail version be identical to the Steam version? It might seem an adundant question, but it still, ocassionaly, happens that a retail version and a steam version of particular games are totally incompatible.

Also, could anyone shed some light on the multiplayed modus we can expect? So far the only bit of info I read in overviews, previews, etc. is that there is a 50 person battlemode. That does not tell me wuite alot.

Cheers in advance, guys.

Steam version should be the same as retail and will definitely work with retail versions in MP, but as a slight caveat some releases on Steam end up having bugs that aren't found on other platforms and issues therein, Retail is your safest bet in that regard. Also sometimes there can be issues with modifying steam games in terms of where the files go and the like, but usually it isn't a big problem; Best bet is to wait a week or two after the steam release if that's what you're after.

In terms of multiplayer, there are all manner of different forms of Deathmatch, Team DM, Capture the Flag, Capture and Hold, King of the Hill, Coop, PVE (Player Versus Enemy, AI), Warfare, Evolution, and a limitless amount of aftermarket modes scripted together by crafty community members. In terms of player limits, pretty much the only limit is how powerful the server is and its connection.

I have to disagree with my esteem colleague on his comments that Steam releases end up having bugs not found on other platforms, that doesn't even make sense, Steam is a download tool for ARMA2. Yes there are specific games through Steam on the Valve lable that use more intergration of the Steam app, but ARMA2 is a BIS product and Steam is used, for the most part, as simply a tool to buy/download the game through.

You don't even have to run Steam to play ARMA2. And as for a hard copy being your "safest bet", that also may depend on your personal likes & dislikes. A hard copy can be lost or damaged, a download version can always be re-downloaded should your PC crash.

And as for it being compatible, servers do not differentiate between those ppl who downloaded the game vs those who bought a DVD. That matters none in the least. Someone gave you some bad info on that.

As for the multiplayer question, I do agree with DaveP on that. So really it's up to you how you buy the game, but it won't matter on the other points.

I have many games on steam, and 0 problems running them, the good side is i can download anytime i want again the game if someting happens.

MOD you know on the release day 30 june, if the game will be already pachted trought steam? Or we will as to wait a little time to saw the update on the game?

Thanks

I have to disagree with my esteem colleague on his comments that Steam releases end up having bugs not found on other platforms, that doesn't even make sense, Steam is a download tool for ARMA2. Yes there are specific games through Steam on the Valve lable that use more intergration of the Steam app, but ARMA2 is a BIS product and Steam is used, for the most part, as simply a tool to buy/download the game through.

Company of Heroes had some pretty dodgy bugs when it was first released on steam, mostly relating to keys/activation if I remember right

Hello all,

After several unsuccessful searches on the matter I've turned up empty handed, so here I am posting a new thread. I've seen a few threads with similar questions, but the answers seemed to be speculation at best - I would love for an official response but a quote, citation, or reliable link would also be great. Basically I'm trying to decide if I should wait for the Steam release or buy Arma II via a European digital download based on the criteria and questions posted below. Game pricing, obtaining hard copy of the game, biases for/against Steam or other distributors are all of no relevance to this particular thread and I would greatly appreciate if they were discussed elsewhere.

Thanks

Onto the questions:

• My fear, and first point in question, is that the Steam version of Arma may not be able to join/play with non steam versions of the game, ie Steam won't be able to play with the DE version. In a more interrogative form; can the Steam 'version' be played online/multiplayer with all other versions of Arma?
  • In addition, will I have to be connected to steam to get Arma running if only to use the map editor or to play the single player campaign?
  • And lastly, how are updates and custom additions(such as maps/addons) worked when the game is purchased through Steam? Does Steam automatically update the game for me, or will I be allowed to do so manually? I often enjoyed testing out the latest beta patch versions in Arma I and would like to continue doing so if the chance comes up for Arma II. As for the mods, maps, and other addons; how will Steam treat these?(will it allow for them even?)

Cant wait to start playing and thanks again,

-Brent

I also have a question relating to steam. I know the boxed version of arma2 has securom but does the steam version have it. I ask this because i refuse to infect my computer with the spyware/rootkit/virus that is securom. I would like an answer from a dev or mod if at all possible.

My fear, and first point in question, is that the Steam version of Arma may not be able to join/play with non steam versions of the game, ie Steam won't be able to play with the DE version. In a more interrogative form; can the Steam 'version' be played online/multiplayer with all other versions of Arma?

Although I can't say for certain, I know of no previous games that have only been Steam-compatible, I would expect it to be extremely likely that the Steam version would be compatible with the non-Steam version.

In addition, will I have to be connected to steam to get Arma running if only to use the map editor or to play the single player campaign?

Steam offers an offline-mode, which allows you to play games when not connected.

And lastly, how are updates and custom additions(such as maps/addons) worked when the game is purchased through Steam? Does Steam automatically update the game for me, or will I be allowed to do so manually? I often enjoyed testing out the latest beta patch versions in Arma I and would like to continue doing so if the chance comes up for Arma II. As for the mods, maps, and other addons; how will Steam treat these?(will it allow for them even?)

Maps/Mods/etc will all work fine, the only difference would be the directory where you put the files.

I am uncertain about beta-testing patches.

There is a possibility that Steam will allow you to extract the CD-key associated with your "copy" of ArmA2, and there is a possibility that you would be able to use this key with the retail version, as possible with some other games on Steam, but I am unsure how applicable this is to ArmA2.

Steam version should be the same as retail and will definitely work with retail versions in MP, but as a slight caveat some releases on Steam end up having bugs that aren't found on other platforms and issues therein, Retail is your safest bet in that regard. Also sometimes there can be issues with modifying steam games in terms of where the files go and the like, but usually it isn't a big problem; Best bet is to wait a week or two after the steam release if that's what you're after.

In terms of multiplayer, there are all manner of different forms of Deathmatch, Team DM, Capture the Flag, Capture and Hold, King of the Hill, Coop, PVE (Player Versus Enemy, AI), Warfare, Evolution, and a limitless amount of aftermarket modes scripted together by crafty community members. In terms of player limits, pretty much the only limit is how powerful the server is and its connection.

Thanks for the reply.

Could you, or anyone else for that matter, elaborate on the Warfare and Evolution game modus?

As I said, I've never played ARMA II, I wouldn't know what tose gamemodes are like.

You don't even have to run Steam to play ARMA2

Not too sure about that! i remember once when i didn't have internet i couldn't play any games i downloaded through steams! and when you launch a game you can see that steam runs first then the game.

Merged all the new STEAM threads into this one, please use this thread for all ArmA2 Steam related questions.

Ill ask again becuase the merging probably caused some confusion. Does the steam version of Arma2 contain securom? I would appriciate it if i could get an official answer from a dev or mod.

when i get the needed info i will try answer some of the questions raised ...

but it's not gunna be until next week so please wait ...

How come i see people say ArmA II is getting released on June 30th? it has shown June 26th from day 1 for me?

Is it currently known if BI intends to roll any SteamWorks featuers into the Steam release of Armed Assault 2? Specifically:

• Will ArmA 2 on Steam have VAC?
  • Will ArmA 2 on Steam support SteamCloud?
  • Will ArmA 2 on Steam use support the Steam Browswer?
  • Will ArmA 2 on Steam support Steam VOIP?

And lastly, full SteamWorks allows for anyone with a paid for license key, even from a media edition of the game to register it on Steam; Will ArmA 2 media Customers be able to register their game on Stea?

:butbut:

I can tell you that Arma2 Wont have VAC because VAC stands for Valve Anti-Cheat System Which is Designed for games made by the company valve such as Half-life,Counterstrike,Teamfortress etc.