gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

I must admit that as a new Steam user I'm not enormously impressed...

Nonstandard game directory, can't use more than about 3 modfolders because of path length limitations, every patch requires a full game redownload and are only available later than everyone else, it seems this one is also a different patch version that doesn't seem to include the same things as everyone else... then, to top it all - when you buy the DLC they take your cash and the next day you're still waiting for what you paid for???

has Steam always been like this???

Now that the copy protection is gone and I can finally run OA without having to have Steam running - does this mean I can just pull all the files, repath the registry and build myself a "proper" single Arma 2 directory now? - or are the steam files somehow nonstandard as well?

B

I must admit that as a new Steam user I'm not enormously impressed...

Nonstandard game directory, can't use more than about 3 modfolders because of path length limitations, every patch requires a full game redownload and are only available later than everyone else, it seems this one is also a different patch version that doesn't seem to include the same things as everyone else... then, to top it all - when you buy the DLC they take your cash and the next day you're still waiting for what you paid for???

has Steam always been like this???

Now that the copy protection is gone and I can finally run OA without having to have Steam running - does this mean I can just pull all the files, repath the registry and build myself a "proper" single Arma 2 directory now? - or are the steam files somehow nonstandard as well?

B

I've stuck with Steam for about seven years so far, more good than bad has occurred over all those years while using Steam.

I've played lots of games on Steam, and the only problems I've ever had have been with Arma 2. I don't think you can just blame Steam for this.

And I'm sure that Steam has absolutely nothing to do with the contents of the patches.

All right guys, here's a quick fix for your Steam PMC. All credit goes to Steam user kylania as far as I know.

0. Do take note that this is a bypass, not a real fix. this might bring up issues a normal install wouldnt.

1. Make sure you've downloaded PMC in Steam. you should be able to click on 'Play' in the library. If you do, the try again later dialogue should pop.

2. go to your ...\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\DLCsetup\BAF folder.

3. Find datacachepreprocessor.exe and copy it.

4. Relocate to ...\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\DLCsetup\PMC folder. At this point, you should rename the datacachepreprocessor.exe in the PMC folder to something else.

5. Paste the .exe file and overwrite the previous one.

6. Run the datacachepreprocessor.exe in the PMC folder with Administrator rights

7. Let the Installer install everything. If a window pops up suggesting you'd reinstall something, dont do it.

8. ????

9. The PMC should run automatically. You probably can't start the game from the Steam PMC launcher. Just run AO or Combined Op's and it should work.

10. Enjoy the game.

cheers

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you need to have BAF installed via Steam as well... probably.

EDIT2: When choosing Play PMc from Steam, Not available error pops up. AO or CO should be run instead.

EDIT3: Try not to forget to run the datacachepreprocessor.exe with 'Run as administrator'. If you get some pbo file related errorst after installing, try restarting Steam.

Edited by Kittytoaster

I've played lots of games on Steam, and the only problems I've ever had have been with Arma 2. I don't think you can just blame Steam for this.

And I'm sure that Steam has absolutely nothing to do with the contents of the patches.

Lucky you that you haven't had problems, but plenty of other people have. I myself am happy about the random disconnections that happen at random times throughout the day which prevent the launching of games and connection to the "friends" service, but of course the web-based store continues to work just fine.

As far as the patch content goes: sure, the only patch content they are responsible for is for Valve products, so I'm not sure where you are going with this. From the looks of the PMC installer folder on my PC it seems to be all there, but Steam throws up any time I try to manually run the installer. Doesn't sound like a BI problem to me...

All right guys, here's a quick fix for your Steam PMC. All credit goes to Steam user kylania as far as I know.

0. Do take note that this is a bypass, not a real fix. this might bring up issues a normal install wouldnt.

1. Make sure you've downloaded PMC in Steam. you should be able to click on 'Play' in the library. If you do, the try again later dialogue should pop.

2. go to your ...\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\DLCsetup\BAF folder.

3. Find datacachepreprocessor.exe and copy it.

4. Relocate to ...\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\DLCsetup\PMC folder.

5. Paste the .exe file and overwrite the previous one.

6. Run the datacachepreprocessor.exe in the PMC folder with Administrator rights

7. Let the Installer install everything. If a window pops up suggesting you'd reinstall something, dont do it.

8. ????

9. The PMC should run automatically.

10. Enjoy the game.

cheers

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you need to have BAF installed via Steam as well... probably.

The Try again later still pops up when running step 6 :(

As far as the patch content goes: sure, the only patch content they are responsible for is for Valve products, so I'm not sure where you are going with this. From the looks of the PMC installer folder on my PC it seems to be all there, but Steam throws up any time I try to manually run the installer. Doesn't sound like a BI problem to me...

The free campaign that comes with the patch that you download is for some reason not included in the Steam patch. That's a BIS problem, not Steam. I personally don't care too much since I have bought the full DLC, it's just that as a Steam user I don't like it when the Steam version of the patch is missing content that others get for free.

I just re-posted it, the idea was originally posted by SpetS15 as far as I know! :)

Glad it's working for people though.

The Try again later still pops up when running step 6 :(

Are you sure you copied the exe from the BAF folder into the PMC folder and replaced the original? If the 'not available dialog' pops up, it looks like its still using the old exe. You could rename to one in PMC to something else and then copy. Just to be sure.

If it stil lwon't work, it's way out of my league.

Good luck!

Yeah... I have to say that I'm not down on Steam as such - I guess, specially with Valve games, it's a great system for kids, and people who play a lot of different games... But for Arma 2, etc it just seems to be an awful struggle - another level of complexity in an already complex game... Look at poor 'ol Dwarden bustin' a gut running around with fixes and .cmd files trying to keep everyone happy... that can't be good for his blood pressure... ;)

Oh well, best not dwell... as Jack O'Neill would say... I'm sure it'll all get sorted soon enough...

I notice Dwarden being all coy and unstressed in another thread... think I'll wait and see what that's about... :)

B

I've been a Steam customer since 2003, i've had very few problems with them. In the same light I was a Bohemia customer since OFP came out, i'm loyal to both and just want it fixed. I'm not gonna blame either, just want results.

Yeah.

Dwarden and the Steam guy need to sit down and have lunch together... then figure out why ArmA2 is reliably broken every time something new is made for ArmA2.

Seriously...

Ive owned and played dozens of games over Steam over the years since 2003... and ArmA is the only one with such predictable failure. From 8 gigabyte patches... to failed installations.

I'm not saying ArmA shoudl abandon Steam... I love ArmA on Steam... just someone please get their shit together... who ever I don't care.

Words

A few of us also get the awesome, generic Steam error "Application load error 5:0000065434" error when doing this as well, so if anyone gets that don't be surprised.

Still waiting on a update or a fix. This is rather disappointing.

The free campaign that comes with the patch that you download is for some reason not included in the Steam patch. That's a BIS problem, not Steam. I personally don't care too much since I have bought the full DLC, it's just that as a Steam user I don't like it when the Steam version of the patch is missing content that others get for free.

There is? What is it called?

There is? What is it called?

I have no idea what it's called, since the DLC is not working for me. It's the campaign that comes with PMC, should be in there with the other campaigns if you have installed the non-Steam patch.

It's got the low quality models, sound and cut scene videos, so I would recommend everyone to buy the DLC to get the full experience, and to support BIS and the great game that Arma 2 is.

I have no idea what it's called, since the DLC is not working for me. It's the campaign that comes with PMC, should be in there with the other campaigns if you have installed the non-Steam patch.

It's got the low quality models, sound and cut scene videos, so I would recommend everyone to buy the DLC to get the full experience, and to support BIS and the great game that Arma 2 is.

I see. You don't think that was a bug? Have BI gone on record saying it was intentional that the PMC campaign was added in the 1.56 patch?

I watched the vid that one user uploaded to Youtube, and despite Youtube's encoding artifacts it looked pretty darn good and that was without PMC installed at all. That cannot have been intentional. I feel like this was not intentional.

In any case, I totally agree with your recommendation. Hell, if they released all future content for free I'd still send them money every now and then.

Ok lads, let’s not bicker and argue about whose fault it is ok?

Let’s try and be constructive.

Has anyone who bought it off of steam got it working?

'cos i haven’t.

I get the "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again at another time."

I have 'verified integrity of game cache...’ but still no good.

If I run ArrowHead:Combined Ops through steam (first it reinstalled BAF) i get the same error message, but then it loads with PMC (Lite).

I have tried running the setup file located at

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\DLCsetup\PMC" and still get the same error.

I would expect to see a folder called PMC in the ArrowHead Directory, alongside BAF, but there is no such folder.

Any one else tried anything else?

1-7

8. ????

9-10. Enjoy the game.

cheers

EDIT2: When choosing Play PMc from Steam, Not available error pops up. AO or CO should be run instead.

Didnt work for me. It looked like it was going to, showing both PMC (lite) and full PMC in the expansions list, but does nothing in the game proper.

I get an error saying something about "Description of headers"..

When running the shortcut from Steam i stil get the old error (not available).

Running ArrowHead:combined Ops i get the Lite versions.

Also, what is step 8 meant to be?

[Edit]reinstalling PMC did not work. i am now uninstalling and reinstalling the whole ARMA2 game. If this doesnt work i will request a refund from Steam as the product does not work (for me atleast)

Edited by stegman

"failed to load file DLCsetup\pmc\pmc-data\addons\air_pmc.pbo decryption of headers failed"

Just lovely.

Same here...i love BIS games and Steam but im really starting to get pissed off with all this situation...from now on, they wont see my money anymore in the launch day.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

And besides the fact that i cant start with the PMC DLC the patch (Steam version) didnt came with the campaign everyone else got for free...epic fail.

Yeah.

Dwarden and the Steam guy need to sit down and have lunch together... then figure out why ArmA2 is reliably broken every time something new is made for ArmA2.

Seriously...

Ive owned and played dozens of games over Steam over the years since 2003... and ArmA is the only one with such predictable failure. From 8 gigabyte patches... to failed installations.

I'm not saying ArmA shoudl abandon Steam... I love ArmA on Steam... just someone please get their shit together... who ever I don't care.

Have to agree with you.

I've not known any other game where the installation process (within STEAM) has failed so badly.

To me it feels like the STEAM build process is a last minute process without much thought into the build setup, with little or no testing; otherwise we wouldn't be seeing the issues encountered.

I really wouldnt' mind redownloading the whole thing providing they can get the process as smooth and seemlessly as possible. STEAM provide the developers with the required STEAM tools & systems to build, upload and test the downloads before releasing to the live system. Is is a matter of time, lack of experience using the tools (doubtful) and/or both?

[Added after posting]

Forgetting to post the reason for posting in the first place.

I'm also encountering issues with loading ARMA since purchasing and installing the PMC DLC via STEAM (all my ARMA2/OA + DLC's purchased via STEAM).

I receive a message of:

Steam Error:

This game is currently unavailable.

Please try again at another time.

The last time the game (pre PMC) was working was before I purchased and installed the PMC DLC

Edited by LondonLad

BIS musta gave steam the wrong files because 1. PMC lite does shows up in expansions but not in campaigns. 2. PMC (proper) does not install? They either got corrupted or they gave them the wrong files....steam will have a checksum on all the files so they will be correct to all the files BIS uploaded to steam...sooo.....anyway who cares just fix the damn issue I want to play PMC campaign ploxxx?

Alright, so eventually the BAF installer thing worked for me. I think. Possibly.

I assume it didn't work initially because I had my Steam install on my C drive and just symlinked my steamapps folder to my D drive. I then had Arma and OA symlinked BACK to my C drive because it's an SSD...

Anyways, I reinstalled Steam on the D drive and moved my Arma installs back as well. I ran Arma, then OA, then copied the BAF installer to the PMC folder and ran it. It's hard to tell what it was doing because the window doesn't fit the full paths of the files being moved, but it set it all up in the BAF folder. I ran OA and it only showed PMC lite as active; PMC full was there but disabled.

I then ran BAF from the Steam library and it installed PMC. Correct graphics on the installer and everything. Now they both appear in the Expansions list, the campaign shows up correctly. I haven't actually played; I'll test it once the kiddos go to bed.

Big fun!

Alright, so eventually the BAF installer thing worked for me. I think. Possibly.

I assume it didn't work initially because I had my Steam install on my C drive and just symlinked my steamapps folder to my D drive. I then had Arma and OA symlinked BACK to my C drive because it's an SSD...

Anyways, I reinstalled Steam on the D drive and moved my Arma installs back as well. I ran Arma, then OA, then copied the BAF installer to the PMC folder and ran it. It's hard to tell what it was doing because the window doesn't fit the full paths of the files being moved, but it set it all up in the BAF folder. I ran OA and it only showed PMC lite as active; PMC full was there but disabled.

I then ran BAF from the Steam library and it installed PMC. Correct graphics on the installer and everything. Now they both appear in the Expansions list, the campaign shows up correctly. I haven't actually played; I'll test it once the kiddos go to bed.

Big fun!

Bugger, wish i'd waited. I've uninstalled all and am downloading them all again to install them fresh. :(

Did you figure out what point 8 on the guide was meant to be?