gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

How are you running them combined on your server? Do you have the Steam versions of ArmA 2 and OA, or CD/DVD versions?

Ah... Yeah I don't think you guys are having the issues we Steam users are currently experiencing. It's pretty screwy at the moment and is turning a lot of folks off, especially those of us who like to tweak missions to suit the needs/wants of our communities.

On the other hand, do you know who's not able to log into your server? As in what versions?

I bought the package from Steam of both Arma II and Operation Arrowhead, however when i go to try and play the game I keep getting an error that says I have an invalid serial number can anybody please help me out

please revalidate Your ARMA 2: OA in case Your STEAM not updated it yesterday/today ...

then the A2:CO shall work for everyone and it supports properly up to 9 custom paramaters you setup in the "Set launch options"

incase You want to use ingame mod manager please read careufully first post http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=101214

---------- Post added at 15:12 ---------- Previous post was at 15:10 ----------

I bought the package from Steam of both Arma II and Operation Arrowhead, however when i go to try and play the game I keep getting an error that says I have an invalid serial number can anybody please help me out

i hope You not installed retail 1.52 patch over STEAM version 1.52

also it's better to restart STEAM if it sayins product unavailable or key not found etc.

Dwarden I reverified my Arma 2 Cache which is all I can see that I can do I get the option to launch in combined ops however I dont understand how or where I can add my 9 custom paramters for launch items. Also I am sorry but I haven't yet seen an in game mod manager. isnt 9 mods kind of light over time actually? you could have 4 or 5 in addon villagers and soilders in one mission not to mention a couple of weapons and cars 9 seems lite to me. can you help me grasp this better?

it's not 9 mods but nine commandline parameters

if you right mouse button click at game in STEAM's games list, choose from menu properties

then you can see just in first tab (General) button saying "SEt launch options"

here you can type e.g.

-nosplash

or any other http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters

ingame mod manager will not work because the STEAM's "Launch ARMA 2 : Combined Operations" uses -mod= and that autodisable the integrated mod manager

how-to use ingame mod manager please study that A2:CO sticky in General section of this forum (linked in previous post above)

Ok but basically we can add up to 9 mods per the startup parameter or we need to get this in game mod manager to work which doesn't yet work for steam.

I actually tried to get mods to work from that line before I must have done something wrong, don't I just add -mod @ffoa,@bcde,@hijk etc, etc?

again lil incorrect :)

you can add as many mods as you wish (i'm not sure what's the maximal amount of characters on single line now)

"-mod=@ffoa;@bcde;@hijk"

^^ that's the proper way how add multiple mods into single parameter (so 8 more free)

notice it's using ; to separate mods and enclosed by "" and = behind mod :)

No I didn't know that but thank you alot :=) these little tid bits go a long way...

Hey all, figured I'd ask this here since it applies to steam

I've been having some trouble with the steam version of ArmA 2 (actually the ACE mod but hear me out)

I used the laser designator in the AH-1Z for the Hellfire missiles and first when I fired they went every which way, then they would finally miss the target. We tracked it down to me being the only steam user on the server (4-5 guys)

I know it's a mod and that brings more into the equation but we should all have the same files anyway.

So my question is: would the retail version fix this if I bought it?

I need some help. I just bought the Arma 2 Combined operations pack. I first dowloaded Operation arrowhead then regular Arma 2. Now Arma 2 won't work but Operation Arrowhead will? Arma 2 says exactly this "Bad serial number given in setup." Thats what it says. Can anyone help me find out how to fix this? The sooner the better thanks!!!

Getting the steam version (or any other version) to work in combined mode with no hassle, bugs and any modifier / mod you like? Is that possible?

Yup! Even though the information is incomplete, disparate and hidden in different locations it's as simple as creating a shortcut!

Go to your \Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead folder, rightclick on the ArmaA2OA.exe choose create shortcut, or pull it onto your desktop holding alt (to create a shortcut)

Then edit that shortcut (rightclick, properties) and edit the target

Example:

"D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=D:\ARMA 2;D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\EXPANSION;ca;@KHPackOA;" "-nosplash" "-cpucount=4" "-exThreads=7"

"D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ARMA2OA.exe"

= Path of the executable, pretty straightforward.

"-mod=D:\ARMA 2;D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\EXPANSION;ca;@KHPackOA"

= This one the mother-lode :

- the entire line needs to be enclosed in "", adding other modifiers in doesn't seem to work that's why I put each modifier in "" The reason is mostly because there are / might be spaces in the path

-First point to your Arma 2 dir (here D:\arma2;) Make sure it's updated to 1.07!!!

- Each subsequent mod also needs to end with ;

- D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\EXPANSION; Important! Point this to the Expansion folder in your arrowhead directory

-ca; without this most other mods and modifiers won't work! It needs to be in front of any other additional mod you add in!

-@xxxxx; add any other mod(s) you like here! Make sure it's after CA or it won't work properly (no idea why, it just won't!)

"-nosplash" "-cpucount=4" "-exThreads=7"

Any other modifier you like can be added here, you got a quad-core like me, then add this, otherwise look around on the forum, that info is easy to find!

Again make sure they have "" around them, each modifier is in it's own separate "" (adding them together again didn't seem to work, adding the modifiers before the mods were loaded didn't work either, I think CA is the cause there too.

You can also edit the .cmd or better yet, make your own without all the extra crap.

Just create a textfile and rename the extension to .cmd (if it still has a text file icon make sure you disable "hide known filetypes" in your explorer options or it won't work).

Put the entire command line in there like this: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=D:\ARMA 2;D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\EXPANSION;ca;@KHPackOA;" "-nosplash" "-cpucount=4" "-exThreads=7"

again modify where necessary. Bingo!

Have fun!

Actually I've found all you need to do is verify, run Arma2, run OA (this makes sure your system knows the correct paths and you have the current files) then you just stick whatever parameters into set launch options and it works fine whenever you launch CO.

I'm still unsure how to run the Beta though as previous to run the Beta for Arma2 I needed to use a shortcut. Is there a way to run it plus Mods plus Arma2?

Edited by CerberusDog

Getting the steam version (or any other version) to work in combined mode with no hassle, bugs and any modifier / mod you like? Is that possible?

Yup! Even though the information is incomplete, disparate and hidden in different locations it's as simple as creating a shortcut!

Go to your \Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead folder, rightclick on the ArmaA2OA.exe choose create shortcut, or pull it onto your desktop holding alt (to create a shortcut)

Then edit that shortcut (rightclick, properties) and edit the target

Example:

"D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=D:\ARMA 2;D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\EXPANSION;ca;@KHPackOA;" "-nosplash" "-cpucount=4" "-exThreads=7"

"D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ARMA2OA.exe"

= Path of the executable, pretty straightforward.

"-mod=D:\ARMA 2;D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\EXPANSION;ca;@KHPackOA"

= This one the mother-lode :

- the entire line needs to be enclosed in "", adding other modifiers in doesn't seem to work that's why I put each modifier in "" The reason is mostly because there are / might be spaces in the path

-First point to your Arma 2 dir (here D:\arma2;) Make sure it's updated to 1.07!!!

- Each subsequent mod also needs to end with ;

- D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\EXPANSION; Important! Point this to the Expansion folder in your arrowhead directory

-ca; without this most other mods and modifiers won't work! It needs to be in front of any other additional mod you add in!

-@xxxxx; add any other mod(s) you like here! Make sure it's after CA or it won't work properly (no idea why, it just won't!)

"-nosplash" "-cpucount=4" "-exThreads=7"

Any other modifier you like can be added here, you got a quad-core like me, then add this, otherwise look around on the forum, that info is easy to find!

Again make sure they have "" around them, each modifier is in it's own separate "" (adding them together again didn't seem to work, adding the modifiers before the mods were loaded didn't work either, I think CA is the cause there too.

You can also edit the .cmd or better yet, make your own without all the extra crap.

Just create a textfile and rename the extension to .cmd (if it still has a text file icon make sure you disable "hide known filetypes" in your explorer options or it won't work).

Put the entire command line in there like this: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\ARMA2OA.exe" "-mod=D:\ARMA 2;D:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\EXPANSION;ca;@KHPackOA;" "-nosplash" "-cpucount=4" "-exThreads=7"

again modify where necessary. Bingo!

Have fun!

This doesn't seem to work when attempting to use the -server parameter, however. That's why we're using the 1.52 patch over a Steam version to launch our dedicated server. Using the built-in _runWhatever.cmd (no matter how we mod it) in the OA directory just hangs up Steam, not to mention requires a Steam account to be logged in, which is retarded.

So far the dedicated server file from 1.52 on a Steam version works fine if the dedicated server is truly a server and there's no intent to play the game from that box. Only problem is we've yet to figure out how to get it to launch in CO mode which we *think* will allow those with the CD/DVD versions to connect.

Edited by USMCLuke

... wall of text ...

or just do

_runA2CO.cmd "-nosplash" "-cpucount=4" "-exThreads=7" "-mod=@KHPackOA"

that shall be enough straightforward :) considering the file is already available in the OA folder ;)

also in case you have quadcore the -cpuCount=4 and -exThreads=7 part is not needed ;)

--- anyway Lord Byte, please stop writing the same thing several times ... what about create single thread and url to it ? :)

ok im a total idiot and everyone here is speaking alien to me..:butbut:...i have arma2 from D2D and i have OA from Steam....now i can launch Arma2:CO without any problems but i cant use mods........i need someone to explain in step by step instructions on how to do so....sorry for being such and idiot :(

Okay! This Steam thing has me really miffed right now. I have tried everything since whatever patch was put out and I am getting nowhere. Combined ops was working fine for me before this. I have gone as far as totally uninstalling OA and re-downloading it. I have verified, ran arma 2 first then OA then tried combined ops. Nothing is working and before I uninstall both ArmA's (which is probably the answer) do any of you have a suggestion on what I can do? I just get a DOS window that comes on for a split second and disappears and I have no idea what it says.

Specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Asus Crosshair III

AMD 965 Black x4 @3.8ghz

Sapphire ATI 5970

8 GB's DDR3 1600 RAM

so i figured everything out it's all pretty simple now, a little bit of a easier way to do everything.

Disc Arma 2, Steam Arrowhead.

with the "_runA2CO" .batch file prompt create a shortcut and place it where you wish to activate it, me i chose desktop. inside of there you rightclick and add your mods and such but make sure you add Quotation marks inside of it, here's a example

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\_runA2CO.cmd" "-nosplash" "-cpucount=4" "-exThreads=7" "-mod=@3rdp"

this is my exact copy and paste, it must have the " at start and end, because the cmd promt does not recognize the = by it's self.

you can impliment more mods as such "-mod=@3rdp;@TGmaps;@xxx;@;xxx" and such, as long as you once again keep it between the " " marks.

this theorteically should work for d2d guys also, so now everyone has combined arms and mods both working.

ALSO!

You will not see mods under expansion, but they will be there running.

Another thing!

if your like me and don't enjoy the cmd promt icon you can change it and make it the "Arma2 Arrowhead" launch icon on desktop if you wish by searching around a little.

Edited by ForeverOmega

So apparently steam is not up to 1.52.71816 build? This has been causing a headache for me with scripting. When can we expect to get steam updated to 1.52.71816? Mine is currently 1.52.71612.

Different build number does not mean it is really a different exe. And to answer: there is nothing in 71816 that would be important to have for Steam users.

Apparently the new Turret methods such as magazinesTurret do not work in 71612. This has caused Domination to become broken. Hopefully the next patch (1.53 or something) will be the same across retail and steam

Edited by xPaveway

Arma 2 DVd AO: Steam

I can get Combined ops to work offline, however when I try to join many games online (ones that seemingly need CO) Once I select a team/position and hit continue I get a message that I have a mod install (in the chat section) and then it just reverts back to the server list. I am not running any mods just stock. Any ideas?

I bought both ArmA II and Operation Arrowhead via Steam. When I use a launcher or start the executable directly (Not using the Steam browser), ArmA II doesn't launch Steam at all, it just starts up the game. OA, however, starts up Steam with the "preparing to launch Operation Arrowhead" dialog before starting the game.

Is there a reason why one does but not the other? If possible, I'd like to have neither of them launch Steam at all. The only solution I have right now is to use the beta version of OA.

I have got a screen shot of the error I'm receiving in steam, can someone please help me fix this. I have tried to run the zip file that was listed by dwarden in another thread, nothing is working for me. Thank you in advance for your help

armaIIerror.jpg