gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

after patch 1.05 ArmA2 no longer requires steam to run the game as it circumvents it's authorization. If you want, just uninstall Steam and see if it works. It shouldn't uninstall any of the games, just the core steam software, so reinstalling shouldn't take very long.

edit: Additionally, it is unknown if 1.06 patch, whenever it is released, will return the steam checking. If ArmA1 is anything to go by, after 1.05, ArmA2 via steam may be a stand alone software no longer tethered to steam (short of the circumstance of you having to reinstall the game, which you WILL need Steam)

Edited by Steakslim

Steam isn't required to play 1.05? Strange, always thought they added their own protection.

This is partly why I love impulse so much - most games I buy on it don't require impulse even being on the computer to run, let alone be active.

edit: Additionally, it is unknown if 1.06 patch, whenever it is released, will return the steam checking. If ArmA1 is anything to go by, after 1.05, ArmA2 via steam may be a stand alone software no longer tethered to steam (short of the circumstance of you having to reinstall the game, which you WILL need Steam)

This is exactly some of my worries and why I set this question here, on this forum. Hopefully some "official" people(s) from Bohemia Interactive will read this thread and answer.

Otherwise, I hope Steam may propose to cancel this purchase and give me my money back, so I can rebuy the game from one other official source, more suitable to my needs.

ACS

There are many non-Valve games available on Steam that DO NOT require Steam to be running. Hell, with a little tweaking you can get games that require Steam to run without it..

Otherwise, I hope Steam may propose to cancel this purchase and give me my money back, so I can rebuy the game from one other official source, more suitable to my needs.

You're not likely to have much success getting a refund..

Unfortunately, I made the mistake to buy ARMA II online through Steam, thinking Steam was just some kind of online reseller of this program and not a game system, which require to run, in order you can use your game.

Don't mean to be rude here, but have you been living under a rock? Steam has been around for quite some time and it's mode of operation has been discussed widely.. But as I said earlier, many games don't need Steam to be running..

Edited by madine75

Steam isn't required to play 1.05? Strange, always thought they added their own protection.
Yep, the patch notes for 1.05 say that all DRM was removed (and I guess this includes the steam DRM).

As of 1.05 we're free of steam! :D

Don't mean to be rude here, but have you been living under a rock? Steam has been around for quite some time and it's mode of operation has been discussed widely.. But as I said earlier, many games don't need Steam to be running..

!!! LOL Not under a rock, but over it, on a Switzerland mountains LOL !!!

To be more serious, here in Europe, you will find ton's of peoples who never heared about Steam and not only 63 years "old chaps" like me. I don't know were you live, but most probably, "Steam" is well known in the English speaking world.

ACS

Hm, just had a look at Impulse (ImpulseDriven.com) that WindexGlow mentions and they have Arma2 as digital download. I had thought that Steam had some kind of exclusive on digital downloads, apparently not. Good to have some competition !

Merged a few standalone steam threads into here so this can continue serving as the absolute steam thread.

Merged a few standalone steam threads into here so this can continue serving as the absolute steam thread.

I must say I am not very happy you included my thread to your merge operation. I mean, my thread was still "hot" and alive.

I think also that a giant unique 48 pages thread, speaking of different problems with just in common the fact they occured in Steam version, is not, to my humble view, the best solution. The creation of a specific forum "Arma 2 Steam version", would have been a much better solution to really facilitate information research.

I would have prefered to write an Email to customer support, But apparently, the only way to contact Bohemia Interactive, as it is mentionned on the site Contact page, is to use this forum. :(

I fear now, they won't even remark my intervention at the end of this giant thread.

ACS

I must say I am not very happy you included my thread to your merge operation. I mean, my thread was still "hot" and alive.

I think also that a giant unique 48 pages thread, speaking of different problems with just in common the fact they occured in Steam version, is not, to my humble view, the best solution. The creation of a specific forum "Arma 2 Steam version", would have been a much better solution to really facilitate information research.

I would have prefered to write an Email to customer support, But apparently, the only way to contact Bohemia Interactive, as it is mentionned on the site Contact page, is to use this forum. :(

I fear now, they won't even remark my intervention at the end of this giant thread.

ACS

This forum does not like additional threads on a similar topic, hense the title "ALL STEAM Q'S/DISCUSSIONS GO HERE". There is also a dedicated thread in the Troubleshooting forums. These threads are set in place so that someone CAN help you who is a dev or mod, because they will not see your query otherwise. This is common in many forums so do not bother complaining.

Additionally creating an entire forum for the steam version is pointless since the two versions of the game are identical other than their drm which of course is done away with currently. If you wish to have more in depth discussion on the 'steam' side of your issues, like suggested before, go to the Steam forums where they have a dedicated section for ArmA, otherwise use this thread and stop crying. BIS is the developer, but Steam is a distributer, and if you have a problem with Steam, then you ask Steam. Same goes for any place you buy a game from. You seem to not want to search for solutions or places to properly get your question out to the masses, it's a wonder that you bought from Steam without knowing it's stipulations.

edit: my bad this IS the only Steam thread now, no more troubleshooting forum topic.

Edited by Steakslim

Steakslim, you don't need to be so rude with me. As far as I know, it is not a crime to express an opinion and I am really sorry, if so few can bother you to such a point. Don't forget I am new to this forum and cannot obviously already know every subtilities and spirits flaring around in this forum.

What bother me, is the fact I cannot directly contact a customer service of a product I paid for. I don't care about Steam. Steam is another product and in this case, just a reseller of Arma II.

In fact, I just received their 1st answer which is apparently totally cynical. They say to me in German (so I translate) more or less this:

quote-- Games buyed through Steam can only be used from Steam. Now, if you don't want this, just fully uninstall Steam. unquote--

ACS

The problem with this huge thread is that if someone has a specific question he will have a very hard time finding the answer in here, be it via forum search or google search. Thus they just keep asking the same questions over and over again and not getting answers, and in this case even if they did search they probably wouldn't have found it unless they went page by page.

nearly all questions asked in this thread were answered, these which NOT you may find answered in other stickies or were too weird to be answered by me :)

also specific ARMA serie forum section exist on STEAM USER FORUMs so there is no need to have special section on BI forum for STEAM

nearly all questions asked in this thread were answered, these which NOT you may find answered in other stickies or were too weird to be answered by me :)

also specific ARMA serie forum section exist on STEAM USER FORUMs so there is no need to have special section on BI forum for STEAM

OK Dwarden, in this case tell me where I can found the answer to the following question. Personally I spend hours reading all places you mentionned, but did'nt found it:

It is now known and admitted that the Steam version 1.05 of ArmA II, run properly OUTSIDE steam (no need to launch Steam server). You can even move elsewhere, the installation data of Arma II, which is inside Steam installation (Steam don't let you choose where you want to install your game. Something you can ALWAYS do normally with standard game installation. In my case, this is important. I have two different hard disk's (diff hardware). One of them, called "F", is specialized (higher perf) and optimized (UltimateDefrag) for games).

Finally, after this context description the question:

Bohemia Interactive, can you GUARANTEE that any probable further ArmA II patches, will be working (installation and gaming) with the specific configuration I just described ?

ACS

OK Dwarden, in this case tell me where I can found the answer to the following question. Personally I spend hours reading all places you mentionned, but did'nt found it:

It is now known and admitted that the Steam version 1.05 of ArmA II, run properly OUTSIDE steam (no need to launch Steam server). You can even move elsewhere, the installation data of Arma II, which is inside Steam installation (Steam don't let you choose where you want to install your game. Something you can ALWAYS do normally with standard game installation. In my case, this is important. I have two different hard disk's (diff hardware). One of them, called "F", is specialized (higher perf) and optimized (UltimateDefrag) for games).

Finally, after this context description the question:

Bohemia Interactive, can you GUARANTEE that any probable further ArmA II patches, will be working (installation and gaming) with the specific configuration I just described ?

ACS

pretty sure i already answered this several times

you can place data whenever You want if You use junctions

for Vista / Seven it's via MKLINK: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753194(WS.10).aspx

* with /j

for XP i suggest to use Junction from SysInternals

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx

You can use it on whole STEAM\SteamApps\Common or just STEAM\SteamApps\Common\GameName (e.g. ARMA 2) directory

e.g. my system

XP

STEAM is on F drive in custom directory

some games from Common directory are on J drive in custom directory

Seven

STEAM is on C drive

sharing Common directory F drive data same as XP (one data two OSes)

some games from Common directory are on J drive in custom directory

e.g.

mklink /j "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\ARMA 2" "J:\somedir\ARMA 2"

junction "C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\ARMA 2" "J:\somedir\ARMA 2"

this created link will tell OS where to look so while it says

read file from Source it in fact reads file from Destination

pretty sure i already answered this several times

No Dwarden, sorry ! You didn't answer AT ALL to my question. You answer to the question:

Could we move the Steam ArmA II data's elsewhere ?

I perfectly know this is actually possible with ArmA II version 1.05, even without the necessity to use tools like "Junction". Maybe you should read a bit more carefully my messages, this is exactly what I have experimented and exposed several times in my messages here. But what is actually valid could be invalid in future version of Arma II, especially because this imply the fact the Steam protection is probably disabled in this 1.05 version.

My question with a bit more precision is:

Bohemia Interactive, can you GUARANTEE that any probable further ArmA II patches, will be working (installation and gaming) with the specific configuration I just described ? In other words, on a configuration composed of the Steam directory "Arma 2", moved to another place (and disk) and Steam application TOTALLY REMOVED ?

If the answer is yes, then I will be able to do what I would like to do: To move "ArmA II" on my game disk and totally remove Steam, which is a product I never wanted to buy. I consider borderline (to not say dishonnest), the marketing methods of Steam on the site Arma2.com. The way the buy online process is implemented there, DO NOT warn the user at any stage, that buying a game through Steam IS NOT JUST BUYING A GAME like usually with online shop's, but buying a whole game system called "Steam", which will be necessary to run your game(s). If you don't know what is Steam before, like it was my case and even if you are very cautious, you have a great chance of buying your game there and later discover you may be a prisonner of Steam.

ACS

Edited by ACSoft

I think a first post including a FAQ that gathers all of the questions that keep repeating themselves in the thread will make it much easier on everyone.

If the answer is yes, then I will be able to do what I would like to do: To move "ArmA II" on my game disk and totally remove Steam, which is a product I never wanted to buy. I consider borderline (to not say dishonnest), the marketing methods of Steam on the site Arma2.com. The way the buy online process is implemented there, DO NOT warn the user at any stage, that buying a game through Steam IS NOT JUST BUYING A GAME like usually with online shop's, but buying a whole game system called "Steam", which will be necessary to run your game(s). If you don't know what is Steam before, like it was my case and even if you are very cautious, you have a great chance of buying your game there and later discover you may be a prisonner of Steam.

ACS

Never buy from a digital software distributer without reading up their faq and that little agreement thing they always ask you before you finalize your purchase, this goes for even non digital distributers online. They always have stipulations regarding things like refunds that you need to review before buying something. They did nothing to deceive you, you were just careless.

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7141-OPGX-5121

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8360-WEJC-2625

These can be read in 13 languages if that helps

In an attempt to answer your question to BIS: Currently I do not think they even know the answer for sure on whether or not they'll bring back ArmA2's dependency for Steam via Steam bought version. This is something they'll have to discuss with Steam on whether to continue supplying updates through their automatic updating system after 1.04. If going by ArmA 1 is any help, you're probably safe and the remaining future patches will be manual, but that's not official.

edit: Additionally I'd like to apologize for seeming harsh in my previous post.

Edited by Steakslim

Never buy from a digital software distributer without reading up their faq and that little agreement thing they always ask you before you finalize your purchase, this goes for even non digital distributers online.

Of course Steakslim, you are right. I cannot tell you how long I have insulted myself when I realized I was trapped.

They always have stipulations regarding things like refunds that you need to review before buying something. They did nothing to deceive you, you were just careless.

Franky, who really read juridical agreement to the last line everytime ??? But you are right, I should have done it.

On an other side, I must disagree with you. In my opinion, THEY DO ALL THEY CAN DO, ON THE BORDERLINE OF LEGALITY, TO DECEIVE ME !!! This is why now, they just cynically answered to my reclamation: Games buyed through Steam can only be used with Steam. If you don't want this, just fully uninstall Steam from your computer (original Steam text: "Spiele, die Sie über Steam kaufen, können auch nur mit Steam benutzt werden. Wenn Sie das nicht möchten, deinstallieren Sie Steam einfach komplett von Ihrem Computer.") !!!

I don't advise you to try redoing all the buy process from the "fatal click" I have done on the buy page of Arma2.com site (LOL !!!), but if you would do it, you would see that you start to suspect something is wrong, AFTER you paid with the credit card !!!

Even, if you read all juridical's, faq, etc... Something I have more or less completely done yet, even after this, IT WON'T BE FULLY CLEAR FOR YOU, IF STEAM IS REQUIRED OR NOT, TO RUN GAMES YOU BUY THROUGH THIS CHANNEL. What is really funny and significant to me, is the fact that it is the first things Steam customer service precised to me in his answer !!! Why don't they write this, as a warning in big characters, at the very beginning of the buying process ?

In an attempt to answer your question to BIS: Currently I do not think they even know the answer for sure on whether or not they'll bring back ArmA2's dependency for Steam via Steam bought version. This is something they'll have to discuss with Steam on whether to continue supplying updates through their automatic updating system after 1.04. If going by ArmA 1 is any help, you're probably safe and the remaining future patches will be manual, but that's not official.

I really hope they won't bring back ArmA2's dependency for Steam. But in case this may happen, may I suggest to Bohemia Interactive, to offer to people like me, an escape route: We might send to Bohemia Interactive the proof we buyed the game through Steam and then, we receive a solution to convert our Steam dependent version to an independant version.

Steakslim (or someone else, like, for example, a moderator), maybe you have a better possibility than me, to make Bohemia aware of this problem with a direct contat with some responsible. If it is the case, may I ask you to do it ?

edit: Additionally I'd like to apologize for seeming harsh in my previous post.

No problem and thanks in forward for any further help.

ACS

Edited by ACSoft

No Dwarden, sorry ! You didn't answer AT ALL to my question. You answer to the question:

Could we move the Steam ArmA II data's elsewhere ?

I perfectly know this is actually possible with ArmA II version 1.05, even without the necessity to use tools like "Junction". Maybe you should read a bit more carefully my messages, this is exactly what I have experimented and exposed several times in my messages here. But what is actually valid could be invalid in future version of Arma II, especially because this imply the fact the Steam protection is probably disabled in this 1.05 version.

My question with a bit more precision is:

Bohemia Interactive, can you GUARANTEE that any probable further ArmA II patches, will be working (installation and gaming) with the specific configuration I just described ? In other words, on a configuration composed of the Steam directory "Arma 2", moved to another place (and disk) and Steam application TOTALLY REMOVED ?

ACS

obviously i was unable to understood what You mean with 'move data' ....

anyway because 1.05 is not depending on STEAM nor any other 3rd party copyprotection You can move the data freely anywhere and don't need STEAM either ...

this apply only after download, install and run of ARMA 2 via STEAM atleast once (then patching to 1.05 manually)

Edited by Dwarden

anyway because 1.05 is not depending on STEAM nor any other 3rd party copyprotection You can move the data freely anywhere and don't need STEAM either ...

this apply only after download, install and run of ARMA 2 via STEAM atleast once (then patching to 1.05 manually)

Yes Dwarden, this is exactly the behaviors I have fully experimented and reported here.

But my concern, as said already several time is:

Can Bohemia Interactive GUARANTEE further patches will apply to such a configuration (Arma II exported out of Steam / Steam removed) and if yes, will the patched version you obtain, be working WITHOUT Steam installed ?

I think you can understand that without this insurance, I really hesitate to definitively move ArmA II elsewhere and totally remove Steam.

I have also another concern:

Suppose on day in the near future, I want to change my PC (or even simply change my XP for W7). What will happen ? Can-I simply export again Arma II data's to the new PC ?

ACS

you can't ask for such insurances

but isn't it obvious that if 1.05 then 1.06 would not need STEAM too ?

seriously why You just not do it (move ARMA 2, remove STEAM)

instead of constantly repeating such demands for insurance ?

i also wrote You will need STEAM to install and activate the game so in future example with new OS You will need

install STEAM

download ARMA 2

(technically You dont need to download it, just install it, pause download, exit STEAM, copy your 'old ARMA 2 data' over, start STEAM, run the game to finalize install, then You do w/e you want w/o STEAM) ...

also note if You want move ARMA 2 don't forget to change in registry path to correspond to Your new placement

Edited by Dwarden

you can't ask for such insurances

From my point view, this is really regrettable, but that's how goes this modern consumer world !!! :(

but isn't it obvious that if 1.05 then 1.06 would not need STEAM too ?

Lets hope you will be right.

Anyway, many thanks for your help.

ACS

Ive been away a while and now have the steam version of arma 2 to update I just have to dld the 1.05 and Eagle Wing hotfix and update correct the files will go into the steam folder on there own?

Alright, so I broke my game by failing to install an addon correctly, and it says "so-and-so.pbo data link to short, expected to get 361313025 b, got a 85458944 b" and I un-installed, then re-installed, but i get the same message, anyone have tips?

Note:Now I've uninstalled and re-installed twice, and getting more desperate

Edit:Okay, I actually used the uninstall .exe and nothing happened, and by nothing, I mean the uninstall exe disappeared, the above "uninstalling" was removing the "local content"

>>>2vmfzw6.jpg<<< this is the error I get

Edited by Michael_Zemmer