gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

I do not see it on EBgames or Gamestops websites. I even called them and they said it seems they won't carry it.

I do not see it on EBgames or Gamestops websites. I even called them and they said it seems they won't carry it.
So far in the United States it will only be available on Steam. You can still purchase it from Petergames and Metaboli right now but you will be buying the German Version. At least I think that is correct.

CD Wow has it for pre-order, but I'd imagine it's the 505 version. Doesn't matter to me though, retail copy it is and it's cheaper. Not to mention hopefully it will be shipped no later than the 19th and get here within a week (US shipping is 7-10 days supposedly).

even though steam is prob the best way to go, it is going to take a lifetime for it to dl, and install. so when its released on the 29, i actually get to play it on the 30th, i was hoping newegg would have it but it doesnt look like it, they usually have great prices and free fast shipping

it is going to take a lifetime for it to dl,

I downloaded it from petergames and it took just about 3 hours to download the 7.5 gigs or so. I've been totally happy ever since. I bought 3 copies 1 for me and 1 for each of my arma buddies so I saved a bundle of download time for them. :)

even though steam is prob the best way to go, it is going to take a lifetime for it to dl, and install.

Depends what kind of internet connection you have really. Many people in North America have 10M+ connections these days. 8 gigs is nothing to sweat about. ;)

whenever i dl something from steam its at a rate of 350kb or so, takes ridiculously long, i can dl larger files off the internet quicker.

whenever i dl something from steam its at a rate of 350kb or so, takes ridiculously long, i can dl larger files off the internet quicker.

Where do you live? Steam always downloads full speed for me in Toronto these days. 1 megabyte per second. I think I need a faster connection still.

A guy I know from Pennsylvania downloads off of Steam regularly at 2 megs per second. :eek:

Yeah the U.S sucks for the Bis OFP/Arma franchise, Bis feels the need to like dumb down or give the game a gimmick to sell it to American audiences for some reason.

And steam is generally good, other than the fact that your paying full retail and don't get a manual, box or CD which is kind of dumb that people still buy digital for RRP.

But generally when I buy games off of steam (HL, TF2, Pirates! ect ect) it downloads at around the same time it would have taken me to go to the store and get it.

live in florida, and i see that the only other US place to buy it is cd wow. i noticed it was going for $40 bucks and the release is the 19th i no that when the UK ver is out so does that mean the version on CD wow is the uk ver and if so would there be compatibility issues with the disc?

thats kinda stupid not mention its released on the 19th in the UK

I'm buying retail/boxed, otherwise it would take me 18hrs to download and that's only if I get max speed, not to mention it would cost me $25 for just the bandwidth alone.

They really need to make DD cheaper, cause at moment it's costing alot more or the same.

I'd much rather get a shiny box for cheaper.

Problem is gamers are too lazy to get off there arse's lol, no offence all.

Edited by Bravo0246

I'm buying retail/boxed, otherwise it would take me 18hrs to download and that's only if I get max speed, not to mention it would cost me $25 for just the bandwidth alone.

Especially if you want mods

Mods should work fine with the Steam copy, unless you're refering to his bandwidth costs.

is there no possibility for a us retail release?

too bad, i was hoping to buy this game.

Whenever BIS can get a US publisher/distributer they will. They might already and just haven't released any information.

No it will not only be sold on steam, yes we have a US publisher who will sell retail copies in stores around the US, just like normal games ;) The press release announcing it is being finalised and will be released soon :)

Does the steam version of Arma2 contain securom?

It does not :)

OK, i'm now accepting questions for STEAM ArmA2 related FAQ (official answers will become available later):

question post should start with first line containing these characters

Q4FAQ:

and question goes here on next line ...

Edited by Dwarden

Q4FAQ

Does BI intend to incorporate any SteamWorks featuers into the Steam release of Armed Assault 2?

Specifically will ArmA 2 support or include:

• VAC?
  • SteamCloud?
  • Steam Browswer?
  • Steam VOIP?

If no, is there the possibility any SteamWorks features will be supported in the future via updates?

:butbut:

i would just add note that the STEAMoverlay (not part of the STEAMworks) but STEAMclient

and STEAMvoice chat (part of STEAMclient not STEAMworks)

and STEAMclient browser inside STEAMoverlay :)

works already fine with ArmA 2...

just to clean possible confusion

Q4FAQ

Will the Steam version pre-load? Meaning will it download a day or so before and unlock the 26th?

Thank you for confirming the Securom question Placebo. Thank you BIS for not using it in the Steam version. Thank you BIS for going releasing ArmA2 on Steam.

Q4FAQ

- Will the Steam version include friends support, i.e. adding friends from within the game (Steam overlay -> players -> current game), joining friends games etc.?

- Will it be possible to activate a previously bought hardcopy version of Arma2 on Steam via the Steam games list?