gimpymoo

ARMA2 & OA's Steam Thread: All Steam Q's/discussions go here [covered by Dwarden]

I could have ordered it from Steam also, but I don't want to pay the high US retail price which is like 20 USD more expensive than buying from a local brick & mortar store.

I can tell you that Arma2 Wont have VAC because VAC stands for Valve Anti-Cheat System Which is Designed for games made by the company valve such as Half-life,Counterstrike,Teamfortress etc.

Incorrect, VAC, Valve's Anti-Cheat protection scheme is available to any Developer that Publishes thorugh Steam and licenses SteamWorks... There are in fact over a dozen games on Steam that aren't on the Source engine that use VAC -- Red Orchestra is one of the first that comes to mind, as was once intended to be a fairly serious tactical realism game...

:butbut:

I only have one game bought through steam all others are on disc I don't have any problems either way.

As some people have the game now do they use steam to run online or can you bypass it?

BTW I have it on Pre-order for £17.95 half the price of steam.

infinte? Im not sure you need a cd key on steam even.

Its alll linked to your login. :)

user name and password.

Can you still have custom shortcuts with the steam version?

and what about patch support? I know sometimes steam version of non-valve games don't get patched as quickly as retail copies.

You should be able to do custom shortcuts with the steam version. ArmA1 shortcuts had not problems with the steam version. As for patch support, I have no idea what BIS plans to do with Steam whether they'll have patches actually distributed throught Steam, or have users manually patch their games. Personally I prefere they let us manually patch.

Anyone know if the steam verison will have the latest patch when you first download it? also why has some people been saying steam version is coming out June 30? i have always seen it as the 26th?

Why is the steam version a total ripofff?

Why banning me for no reason? Maybe I should cancell my pre-order and start making damage...right mr moderator?

Anyone know why the pricing is so insane for ArmA 2? 47,99 € is quite insane! Also why is the release date 30. Jun when it's 19.Jun for any other retailer?

Anyone know why the pricing is so insane for ArmA 2? 47,99 € is quite insane! Also why is the release date 30. Jun when it's 19.Jun for any other retailer?

I tell you why, TOTAL RIPOFF

Steam said that the price is put by BI, so we should ask BI why is there so much diference :mad:

By the way, bye bye steam, i am sick of your abusing prices in the EU.

Dunno about the pricing, that has been discussed greatly already and if you took the time Falco to look up those discussions rather than bitching and performing ban evasion you'd probably not be having such a hard time. Anywho, on the 30th date is for the UK release on "Steam". Everywhere else in the UK it's the 19th for hardcopy retail. The 26th is when the US steam release will be, and at current, will be the only known release locally available in the US. I don't think there's been another US distributer announced yet. Complaining why it's being released on Steam on such a date, and being released somewhere else on such a date is pointless when you consider the entire release situation that's been going on since Morphicon. The release dates are scattered, deal with it, live with it, it'll be all over with by July for most of NA an Europe. I'm not sure on the situation on the international releases elsewhere as I have not honestly followed those discussions.

The reason i'm mostly i'm annoyed with steam is because i can't find that many norwegian retailers who will carry the game at all, i've searched fanatically to find a place that sells it or another place that sells digital download at a reasonable price.

There was one place mentioned that was going to be releasing a digital download that someone mentioned, I'm sorry as I cannot remember or find it at the moment, that was mentioned as a good alternative due to Steam's pricing for the UK. Check through this topic possibly (sucks I know), or someone will hopefully chime in.

maybe they will make the release earlier, who knows. but the price will definetly stay the same

I'd love to buy it off steam, but i'll be fucked if I'm going to have to wait an extra two weeks for it. Especially since my holidays start in a week.

Ive always liked these forums, community and help it gives but somehow swearing just seems so out of place here :/

Boxed retail for 30€ shipping in the 19th, no brainer.. pre- ordered already, i dont know why would any euro get it from steam.. i'd rather pay 505 before we all end up with overpriced digital distribution copies shoved up our asses.

Yes, i like the box, the DVD and the printed manual very much, no i dont understand how a digital distribution copy can be more expensive.. Steam = ripoff, not that i belive that the games are not worth 50+ but compared to retail boxed copies, no way..

This thread is full of complaining about steam... But I was wondering - does steam have any clear ADVANTAGES? For example, your CD can explode but your steam version will always stay yours, no? Then again if your CD explodes you should be able to get a pirated version and install with your own legal CD-key and play online, no? Would be nice if anyone could verify those things, as well as point out any possible advantages for steam that weren't brought up, like re-installation speeds, patch download speeds etc.

We have enough piracy on the boards as it is, so please don't bring it up here.

And yes, your steam game will always be yours to redownload.

The question is what non-steam users have as an alternative, other than re-buying the game?

The question is what non-steam users have as an alternative, other than re-buying the game?

Thats not steam related but i suppose you dont, though i must say that in all my many years of gaming i havent lost, damaged or have any disk eaten by goats or anything like that but if i did i would assume the responsability and buy another copy.. i dont know why people are careless and throw their disks around then complain when they are broken..

Not everyone live alone. While most my CD collection is still functional, some of it had simply gone bad over the years. Some without me even touching them. Is it possible to activate a non-steam key on steam so that you can play without CD in drive?

You can screw up CDs with overuse and wear and tear no matter how careful you are.

My OFP disk (from the days you needed it in the drive to play) was worn ragged from all the inserting/spinning etc etc. Luckily I had no qualms about buying a new one..... Quality. They just dont make em like they used to.

I'll be going for steam for sure. You always have offline mode and you can dl and play it no matter where you are. Steam can be told to drop a shortcut on the desktop to individual games so you can still run mod folders etc. Even if you dont like the shortcuts you can just right click your game in steam->properties->Launch options and run it there.

Steam all the way for me.

Edited by Baldman

Why is it available the 30th of June 2009 ? ArmAII is availble the 18th in France (Where I'm working...)

30th? released the 26th here in USA

UK steam release is the 30th for whatever reason.