Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Mod 2

Does this mean that I will have to start the game from this website thing if I want to play the game with ACE2 everytime?

Also, everything seems smooth following the quick start guide and its starting to download a HUGE 4gb thing... what's that???????

Edited by jasonnoguchi

Does this mean that I will have to start the game from this website thing if I want to play the game with ACE2 everytime?

Nopes. Just if you aren't sure you are up to date, and want to run the updater tool first.

The updater creates the Modfolders @CBA;@ACE;@ACEX you can use this modfolders with the link edit method or with the ArmaLauncher for example (i use the launcher).

Im guessing we download ACE2 the normal way, and use the SixUpdater for the updates. I pressed 1, 2, 100, 101 as a player (no server here) and it updated everything as it should - i think.

The beta stuff i have to go home and figure out as well. But im guessing the ACE2 mod is used as any mod just that the updater are used when a new version is out.

I also hope that a .rar version (the old-fashioned way) is released in addition to the new method, imho it's easier and more convenient.
Yeah thats what im thinking about, dont like those Updater Tools, just release a simple Download with a .exe or a .rar/7z/whatsoever and we will be fine.

why don't you use a simple .rar file (or something similar) for distribution?

it's the easyest way that work perfect on all operating systems.

second that and third that this thing is weird, lets keep things clear guys, we all want this and appreciate the hard work, downloading is not clear, anyways is it out or not, simple answers will do thanks.

why don't you use a simple .rar file (or something similar) for distribution?

it's the easyest way that work perfect on all operating systems.

Because of much bigger download packages, which makes bandwidth-issues more apparant, not to mention the problems of actually packing and distributing the stuff manually, which will have to be done several times a day to achieve the same that this updater tool does ;)

That has already been explained in great details:

http://dev-heaven.net/news/show/237

http://dev-heaven.net/wiki/six-arma-updater/ArmA_Git_Updater#What-is-it

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1504351#post1504351

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1506716#post1506716

You're free to pull things apart manually, you'll just be giving yourself a lot of unnecessary work, with the announced (near) daily updates and all ;)

It just keeps downloading stuffs that I don't know into my computer (and yes, i am regretting this a little by now, those of you yet to do this, bewarned!)... what do I do? let it download all the way? what is being downloaded anyways??????

Edited by jasonnoguchi

anyways is it out or not, simple answers will do thanks.

ACE2? Check Wolle's post.

Thanks to all for the PM's for help! I got it working. It's a pretty nice updating tool, I was wrong. My apologies.

ACE2? Check Wolle's post.

Thanks to all for the PM's for help! I got it working. It's a pretty nice updating tool, I was wrong. My apologies.

Really glad to hear that, and thanks.

Could you share what went wrong the first time, so others might learn from it ? :D

There is no way around the updater, when you running a other ace version than the server, you will get pop up messages that you have not same version.

Till now Ace was updated multiple times a day, so if you get a rar version it will not work with servers running the latest version.

The config of the downloader is a bit tricky, but once you have it you need only doubleclick 1 icon and the mod will update in less than 5 mins.

As soon as the mod is released and you downloaded the mod via updater, then it just change the files which needed after a update if you use the updater.

You can all mods handle this way if someone host those mods for the updater.

But if you manually install a mod then there will no rsync files for the updater to look whats changed till last update. So you cant update manually installed mods.

In my case i have the beta patch not synchronized over the updater, i maually install it every time. But if you want do that with ace you have to download the full mod multiple times a week. That has no point.

Because of much bigger download packages, which makes bandwidth-issues more apparant, not to mention the problems of actually packing and distributing the stuff manually, which will have to be done several times a day to achieve the same that this updater tool does ;)

Hm...i don't get it. your bandwith won't change a bit by the tool you use. somebody got to upload it somewhere somehow. it doesn't matter what tool he uses.

Use torrent and something like filefront and you are good to go.

i know i will probably hate this updater thingy, cause i got to use a tool i don't like and need....install the stuff on my PC...re-pack it to upload it to my linux dedicated.

Doesn't sound like a advantage to me.

Please read the posts I just linked for you then :)

Ruby is multiplatform so with little effort, ill cook a linux variant aswell.

Besides, rsync's native available for linux, so you could even reap benefit there without any of my software :)

hey sickboy

just to let you know that alot of us really do appreciate the hard work you have put into this updater eventhough its causing some grief with others. I read all the info that was posted up and got through the process of installing/updating with ease by following simple directions. thanks for the hard work everyone has put into this.

Will

Please read the posts I just linked for you then :)

Ruby is multiplatform so with little effort, ill cook a linux variant aswell.

Besides, rsync's native available for linux, so you could even reap benefit there without any of my software :)

okay so please build a command line tool. we don't have and want a x server.

Hm...i don't get it. your bandwith won't change a bit by the tool you use. somebody got to upload it somewhere somehow. it doesn't matter what tool he uses.

Yes, it will. Because you are thinking ONLY from from client perspective.

That somebody(s) is going to mirror it for you, and it will be bandwidth effective for him to have clients download ONLY what is needed, that to put up sizeable .rar files up for download. It is an automated process in itself, so he doesn't have to worry about downloading (uploading), setting up a download link etc etc

Plus, with daily updates, it will be easier to maintain. Especially for the ACE dev team, to share their work, it is easier than packing, uploading, forwarding link to mirrors etc etc

i know i will probably hate this updater thingy, cause i got to use a tool i don't like and need....install the stuff on my PC...re-pack it to upload it to my linux dedicated.

There will surely be old school mirrors around as well. At first. Will those gonna get updated as often as the updater will? I wonder...

Edited by PuFu

okay so please build a command line tool. we don't have and want a x server.
The updater, the tool you'll need, is commandline.

In the next few days ill look into linux variant of the updater. All you'd require then is six-updater.yml from a fully configured client, this will then be your base configuration file for usage on the server.

Tracking it here: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/6599

If I want to add a new mod to one of my existing presets via the web app after the initial set-up, do I have to run 'Install or Update' through 'Main' on the web app again, or will it just add it when I select option 2 from the command line updater?

so why is it still downloading things to my computer for soooo long???? anyone else getting that???

define things (as you see them on the DOS screen)

Receiving incremental file list

arma2.exe.gz

arma2server.exe.gz

changelog.txt

readme.txt

addons/anims_characters_config_pbo.bi.bisign.gz

and the list of wierd downloads continues...

its still doing it say xfer#17

Whats all these???

Sometimes the updater stops for me, then i need to shut it down, delete the .pid and run it again. (but i dont know if its the same tool you have now)

It happend at the downloads, then it stops after 100% of one file in the list and wont go ahead.

Edited by Pain0815