Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Mod 2

-I want over 9000 weapons and vehicles

And I suppose you are going to model 8900 of those? :P

-I want to see aiming reticles for some of the weapons like the javalin actually look and function as such (FLIR)

-I want good bright tracers that will light up the ground

-I want the mini-guns to actually fire and sound like miniguns.

-I want Every soldier to be able to adjust his weapons sights (even down to iron sights)

-I want over 9000 weapons and vehicles

-i want to see functioning PEQ lasers and illuminators

And last but not least

I WANT TO BE ABLE TO JOIN AN ACE SERVER WITHOUT HAVING PROBLEMS

Buy VBS2 :j:

I heard slows down FPS significantly, this so ?

I guess you are refering at CBA. Hotfix for that is on the way

Can we have more stuff on the russian side, I think the russians are left out a little
Agreed that they are. Models are one of the hardest things to accomplish. Until now we've did about half ourselves, and half incorporating other ppl's work.

Let's see what we can accomplish ourselves with A2, and otherwise if someone else does and if we are allowed to use their work.

I want, I want, I want!
Half of that is not feasable. But you might find some of your wishes come true.
They plan to do it modular but in an effective way. take a Look there.

So many modules, like you would like, would be useless and even a major issue if you want to play ACE2 online.

Yay :) GranQ's idea is possible due to CBA+ACE Core. But we would seriously need to expand... It's probably more feasable to supply methods for ppl to make such kinds of packs, or possibly even better; bridge classes or have some unified classes structure and and and ... :) ehr, time will tell! :D Edited by Sickboy

I have a possible suggestion for ACE as it's a tremendous mod to the game.

I was in the USAF and saw this demonstration at an air show some years ago. This came to mind when I was playing vanilla Arma2. The C130 as BIS has created it takes a tremendous amount of runway to get up to speed, excessive imo.

But the C130's also have the ability to do short field take-offs with rocket assist.

This was used for short fileds or when it had a heavy load.

Also, will the AC-130H Spectre be a part of ACE for Arma II?

http://www.fas.org/programs/ssp/man/uswpns/air/attack/ac130.html

Edited by S7_Mega

Since we're all wishing here and everyone has a wish like everyone has an as*h*le, I want towable objects.

Nothing would be cooler than hooking up a wheeled arty piece up to the back of a truck or hummer and towing it to a strategic location. I have no idea if the Arma2 engine can handle this but it really would be awesome. Even if you could load it in the back of a large truck somehow that would be nice.

quick one.

@redspar, ive seen youtube vids of this, but there are some turning errors, which make the sight of the object being towed loose credebility, but it IS doable.

Its the "attachto" command or somesuch, have a squizz at youtube

rgds

L

wishlists?

more opfor weapons (including older weapons still in use in less rich countries. these weapons include G3, FN FAL, FNC, etc)

that's really it. ACE was pretty damn good and improving and perfecting the existing systems for arma2 would be all that's needed.

well, one more thing. I want ACE (and esp when you get models from others) to really really try to optimize the "5 versions/one model". Hidden textures and so on. Which mean more with less. Not only good for fileseize but its much better when you might do a fix on hmmwv .p3d and it gets fixed on woodland, desert, 0.50 and mk19 versions instantly.. instead of opening 4 models and forgetting one.

but i am positive about ace2.. do what you find funny, thats the best way to work.

Thanks Orlok, just found this on youtube

Seems to work great. Just make it work for wheeled artillery it will add a new dimension to gameplay.

Ah no Sickboy, I didnt make myself clear...I heard that the ACE mod for ARMA slowed down FPS as the effects, etc were more cpu demanding....

ACE has many scripts, high quality models and effects ect.. so yes I think it's more demanding but nothing dramatic from my experience.

Since we're all wishing here and everyone has a wish like everyone has an as*h*le, I want towable objects.[...]

Would be nice, it works pretty

on plane surfaces. Edited by dunedain

Hey guys, I'm really excited about A.C.E.2 coming out. I had a suggestion and wondered if you guys might consider it. One of the things I like about ArmA2 is that it comes with a lot of cool stuff in the vanilla version, one of which being the C-130. Remember in OFP and A1 when we had to wait for someone to make/port the c130? Glad BIS figured it out and gave us one. Anyway, this may have been mentioned already, but I think it would be cool to script an airdrop for the C130 such as tanks like this

Also, I remember from the OFP days someone made a script to make this possible, I haven't been able to find it, but did find an interesting addon that might make this possible from HAWKs C130 released in 2003 here

Here is a quote of what the 2003 OFP C-130 is capable of

"The plane has the capability of carrying cargo and parachute release while flying.It also have, a group bail out command so you parachute the whole group (not exactly like ejecting It also carries a script to order AI pilots to perform such tasking using action menu.Hawk has implemented a mid air refueling capability (reference S7_Mega post). The plane can extend a fuel hose and perform a mir air refueling to other planes an helis"

Anyway, I'd love to see if this old OFP classic could be disected and implemented into the A2 C-130 with permission from HAWk of course. What do you think Sickboy?

That would be so sick! Its rough playin arma2 vanilla. I'm too used to the cool things in ACE. Keep up the good work!!!!!

please, it would be so awesome if did modular. ACE MOD2 Core, ACE OPFOR, ACE US and so on. and work to keep it balanced between (value/download). aka i prefer 5 types of vehicles rather then 40-50 versions of the m4/m16 family..

The M16/m4 models were actually donated by me and I am not a part of the team, so do not ask Sickboy to relocate me to other tasks.

I wish there was someone capable of dooing simmilar work for opfor but apparently there just isn't. No matter how much people want models ingame they do not want to donate their free time and do it themselves.

I urge everyone to learn 3D modelling, make models that they want to have ingame themselves and then donate them.

Which is exactly how my models ended up in ACE in the first place.

If you want something done really badly you need to do it yourself, rather than look for ways to make other people do it for you (and case of some forums usesrs even worse), for free and in their free time.

I would also like to point out that modellers are not coders and vice versa, hence it's not like if I stopped making models I could contribute by writing code.

Another thing is that I am not aqn expert in every country's arsenal and I simply could not make Eastern vehicles and weapons. Most modellers make objects they are fammiliar with rather than waste weeks for reaserch.

Edited by Panda_pl

I hope the M-200 408 Cheytac will be there?

The M16/m4 models were actually donated by me and I am not a part of the team, so do not ask Sickboy to relocate me to other tasks.

I am sure Mr. GranQ wasn't putting down your modding skills, he was merely pointing out that modularity could help offset the staggering waste of HD space that results from the inclusion of mindlessly repetitive addons. Nothing more than that.

One addon for one role, I guess sums it up.

I am sure Mr. GranQ wasn't putting down your modding skills, he was merely pointing out that modularity could help offset the staggering waste of HD space that results from the inclusion of mindlessly repetitive addons. Nothing more than that.

I for one could argue that if every addon has hidden textures to do this, you can imagine the mass cpu strain if you were to play MP. I could imagine Dysnc being a big problem.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

*add* maybe im just emotionally hurt from my OFP dysnc days

modularity could help offset the staggering waste of HD space that results from the inclusion of mindlessly repetitive addons.

I am really confused about your statement now.

It seems to me you think that number of weapons in an addon determines the filesize.

In reality it is meaningless, since each additional model is a 1mb file.

Adding 6 or adding 12 makes no difference on resulting filesize.

Textures can be up to 20 mega, on the other hand. So if you think texture quality is too high this can be fixed easilly and with each texture size cut by half the filesize will dropp by 3/4.

Modular structure actually increases filesizes because you have top for example include textures for EOtech, aimpoiont, Acog and other optics into each pack if you want them to be used independently. Performance is also dammaged. So it would be most rational to just have 3 pbos: one per side.

But this will be fixed in A2 since A1 textures were in fact not using compression and it appears texture format for A2 is using compression.

But in short:

1) The difference between an addon with just one weapon and an addon with 12 weapons is most likely around 11mb.

2) it appears filesizes will dropp in A2 once the modelling tools are out.

I am adressing this because I keep seeing the same misinformation and I want to educate you people a little bit ;).

Edited by Panda_pl

Panda, I do a lot of solidworks modeling but I dont know squat about mods for arma2. I just browse this forum for updates on the ACE2 project. Anyways I have a ar15 model with a quad rail free float hand guard (modeled after my YHM spectre length free float diamond pattern hand guard, i think its 10"), magpul XLM? rail covers, A3 upper, 30 rnd mag, and magpul MOE stock, with a low profile gas block (under the free float hand guard), most of the pins in the model, and a conic muzzle break/flash supp (directs energy straight forward in a cone to reduce muzzle climb etc). Its accurate down to a couple thousandths of an inch and i'd be happy to donate the solidworks files to the project. Also it functions pretty well with the mates/limits established in solidworks. ie u can adjust the stock, use the charging handle to cock the bolt etc.

heres some basic prints of it from the solidworks GUI

http://www.armyofzero.com/?p=gallery&f=media/Gunsmithing/AR-15/AR15%20Testing%20Assm/

heres the only render i did playing around with the crappy render software that comes with solidworks http://www.armyofzero.com/?p=gallery&f=media/Gunsmithing/AR-15/Renders/&i=M4X1-v1-1.jpg

and heres the bolt for it rendered http://www.armyofzero.com/media/Gunsmithing/AR-15/Renders//BCG-v1-r1.jpg

whoever can work with the solidmodels let me know and ill email you the files, its about 50 seperate files totalling around 200 mb. All i ask is you throw a credit in there for me.

thanks,

eightball

edit: i forgot to mention that the only missing component visible from the outside is the trigger. its also missing the trigger assembly internals (springs, hammer, disconnector) and there is no auto-sear of course nor pin hole for it but that's an easy mod just adding the pin hole and pin.

edit again: I have an SKS rifle (norinco with spike bayo) and was wondering if one of these models were still needed for the project. Also i'd need to know how much detail it would require because that ar15 model took me about 40 days to do working in most of my spare time. Id assume it would at least need the bolt separate and the rest of it being in a single body with no concern to insides or any other moving parts.

Edited by eightball024
left something out

No need to be confused Mr. Panda, I will illuminate everything.

One addon containing 5.56 rifles is fine, seven addons containing 5.56 rifle variants might be a bit much. That's what I meant by one addon, one role. Variations on a theme, while awesome if you're a gun fanatic, but a tad trite if you're not.

So in effect we aren't even talking about you here, but about the choice of addon. We can have variations on a theme, or we can have variety. This is why I tried to defend Mr. GranQ's statements.

So now, that must be the end of that little bit of confusion, surely.

EDIT:

I hate to come across as being rude here, that was not my intention. I (among other, it appears) just felt that ACE1 had a bit more of a "special boys" modification than we would have liked liked. We were hoping for WGL6 I suppose. But with modularity, ACE2 might become something of a system, letting us tailor the addons so us woggle boys can have our "regular boys" game, while people with other priorities can have it their particular way. Ideally I would love to see ACE2 as system addons solely, with the content addons supplied by everyone else.

Edited by Hund

yeah, I would like to add that neither am I intending to be rude, and I know ACE works with what is donated. But lets say everyone in the community donate their stuff, should they include that in ACE? No is my answer, but apparently yes was the standard before.

and it isn't only about fileseize, download time.. and so on.. but when the feeling you get that you downloading an awesome mod with all stuff ace got but that most is m4/m16 family plus spec op infantry I was disappointed. I am more then happy with the west weapons in ArmA 2, and I think I am happy with the east. Only I would like to see is a bunch of "resistance" weapons as mentioned earlier, like FN FAL, G3.

What I mean is that I love to have Hmmwv's with 0.50 and Mk19, tow.

But I dont see the need for a hmmwv addon with 0.50, m240 and m249.

How much will ACE2 effect framerates ?, they are expremely important to me. Did ACE effect them in ARMA ?

I cant find a ACE1 feature list as well , the official site is dead.

Edited by cartier90

How much will ACE2 effect framerates ?, they are expremely important to me. Did ACE effect them in ARMA ?

I cant find a ACE1 feature list as well , the official site is dead.

ACE2 *will* affect framerates due to all extra scripts. A normal player probably won't notice much of a difference in multiplayer (at least one didn't in the first ACE), but servers will have quite a lot more to handle than usually (also applies to singleplayer of course, since one's own computer must manage all the AI).

Hard to say exactly how much I personally lost in ArmA, but I can't say I noticed it.

yeah, I would like to add that neither am I intending to be rude, and I know ACE works with what is donated. But lets say everyone in the community donate their stuff, should they include that in ACE? No is my answer, but apparently yes was the standard before.

Only I would like to see is a bunch of "resistance" weapons as mentioned earlier, like FN FAL, G3.

I think most agree that the scope was a bit broad. It has already been stated that the team is evaluating the content and deciding on scope, but I still don't think that weapons were the bulk of the problem. Panda is correct in his reasoning. Whether or not we include 10 M4 variants or just 5, they still all use the same textures. The textures take the bulk of the space. If there were just 5 M4, the M4 PBO might be 50MB, while 10 M4s might take up 55MB. You get 2x more versions at 1/10 size increase. The REAL problem with space is more related to character and vehicle models.

As to your complaint about "resistance" weapons. We have limited resources. For a time, I was *THE* 3D guy for ACE and in addition, we relied on contributions. I am, however, interested in developing these types of weapons going forward. If you would like to donate a G3 then please do so. There is an FN FAL Para in the mod and an SA80 too. I even started to model a Lee Enfield and an SKS. I would love to texture Dasquade's TAC50 or HelpingHand's Magpul Masada for a 3rd party "SF" weapon. There just isn't enough time in the day. Sorry :(